Everex XT5000T Support thread

Bloody hell I really want one of these now but I don't want to order it online.
I prefer a local pick up from a store.
However I can't find any place in Dallas/Fort Worthless that sells them :(

weren't they being sold by office depot? you should have those in tx.

Now you know Newegg took over Everex XT5000T laptop selling from there.

1. OfficeMAX dump Everex quietly
2. TigerDirect does same
3. Office Depot learned lesson from OM
4. Newegg rocks (you cant go wrong Egg with most famous "fast shipping" arrive front door with smile.

PS Hope Newegg send a STRONG messages to Everex to get updates now.

phatbx133

Hi,
It seems even on the Everex site with the XT5000T page they list out New Egg as having the system for 799.99. Last time OM had them for the 699.99 deal it was a clearance sale, so maybe OM just got out.

I think we are done with the Raid hopes. If you now look at the web site and even the NewEgg site there is no longer a reference to Raid at all. It looks like Everex is pulling the references hoping the issue will just go away quietly.

There may be a good reason for the major stores not wanting them as well. If the average consumer has no hopes of getting several issues resolved by support then the stores the suffer the returns.

1.) there is the raid issue
2.) the CPU heat throtteling issue at 80C
3.) no specific Video driver updates
4.) after sleep at full speed core 2 is at 20% cpu usage
5.) Rampant horror stories about calling support and their ineptness.
6.) bios issue above 3.5 gigs
7.) it runs super hot (it can cook your eggs, bacon and toast your muffin on the transit to work)

If Everex wants to play in the big boys pool with this computer they need to offer support in line with the other companies. The machine has been out over 5 months but Everex never stepped up to the plate. That long, in this industry, and the machine is already suffering a mid life crissis.

hah.

ok, so we have little choice but to cast our nets into the opensource community, and petition them for a new bios. When the corporate world fails to bring home the bacon........the power of the community must take over.........so let's start digging around guys, eh? Talk to whoever you can, and lets get *specifically* the bios resolved!

I did try to call support once and told the guy I was having a problem with heat and throttling. The guy said, in this obnoxious accusing tone, "Well, so what you're saying is that the laptop functions fine, you just want more performance from it". Wow. Just wow.

Umm... call me silly but this sounds like a really REALLY bad idea.

Not only do I question the efficiency of such a project (as in, will it really accomplish much), but with metal to metal contact with the CPU and GPU I'm thinking one stray spark of static electricity and you're gonna have a 9 lb paperweight.
that issue is quite easy to resolve. if you worked with electronics you will know that you just have to ground the heatsink by connecting it to the chassis (just use a voltmeter, ground one probe and use the other probe to find any spot on the board that is 0V). grounding works against even lightning, let alone a tiny spark ;)
as far as the efficiency goes, well, we dont know til we try, right? ;)
as a matter of fact, today i asked the mechanical engineer guy at work to cut me an aluminum plate (about 1/10" thick with the same shape as the plastic plate from the laptop) and attached it to the heatsink of the GPU using some padding (we pad a smaller plate between the aluminum plate and the heatsink so that they can touch). and we didnt use thermal grease either because we didnt have any at hand. oh boy, sucker still dropped at least 5 degrees C. now imagine what would happen if the plate and the padding were properly machined as one piece, plus adding some thermal grease on top of that. ;)

I did try to call support once and told the guy I was having a problem with heat and throttling. The guy said, in this obnoxious accusing tone, "Well, so what you're saying is that the laptop functions fine, you just want more performance from it". Wow. Just wow.

Hmmmm........ I think they even advertise the machine, as a gaming machine, and play even the latest games. We just want what was advertised, not too much to ask me thinks..........

hah.

ok, so we have little choice but to cast our nets into the opensource community, and petition them for a new bios. When the corporate world fails to bring home the bacon........the power of the community must take over.........so let's start digging around guys, eh? Talk to whoever you can, and lets get *specifically* the bios resolved!

Well, I can provide you with a modded BIOS, and after you flash it and make sure your $700+ investment is still functional you just gimme a holler...

that issue is quite easy to resolve. if you worked with electronics you will know that you just have to ground the heatsink by connecting it to the chassis (just use a voltmeter, ground one probe and use the other probe to find any spot on the board that is 0V). grounding works against even lightning, let alone a tiny spark ;)
as far as the efficiency goes, well, we dont know til we try, right? ;)
as a matter of fact, today i asked the mechanical engineer guy at work to cut me an aluminum plate (about 1/10" thick with the same shape as the plastic plate from the laptop) and attached it to the heatsink of the GPU using some padding (we pad a smaller plate between the aluminum plate and the heatsink so that they can touch). and we didnt use thermal grease either because we didnt have any at hand. oh boy, sucker still dropped at least 5 degrees C. now imagine what would happen if the plate and the padding were properly machined as one piece, plus adding some thermal grease on top of that. ;)

Probably about as much of a thermal reduction as I got using RMClock (about 12C under full load) -- which cost me nothing, didn't require copper plates, machining, pads, thermal paste, or skills in electrical engineering. :D

Well, Its here. Newegg split my order so I am still on a GB of ram, but its all good.

I love the laptop. The sound is AWESOME, the screen is BEAUTIFUL, and the performance seems to be solid.

Im not able to go over 1024 res in ut2004 for some reason, any idea why? If I go any higher the screen gets screwed up.

The keyboard sucks really hard also, but other than that its all good.

Probably about as much of a thermal reduction as I got using RMClock (about 12C under full load) -- which cost me nothing, didn't require copper plates, machining, pads, thermal paste, or skills in electrical engineering. :D
so what would happen if we team up? ;)
besides, RMclock cant drop GPU's temp

so what would happen if we team up? ;)
besides, RMclock cant drop GPU's temp

But then you have to ask, how cool do you need to get? At some point it becomes moot -- is 55C under full load better than 60C? 65C?

I mean hey, if this is something you want to do go for it, it's your laptop. Just seems extreme to me, especially when there are other ways to achieve your goals.

But then you have to ask, how cool do you need to get? At some point it becomes moot -- is 55C under full load better than 60C? 65C?

I mean hey, if this is something you want to do go for it, it's your laptop. Just seems extreme to me, especially when there are other ways to achieve your goals.
this is HARDforum hahah:D

I don't want to sound like a noob, but I have never done this before, so I better ask before I do something stupid to my XT5000T.
I just downloaded a RMClock Utility and wanted to lower the voltage of my CPU without OCing or DCing my core. I looked at the interface and it all looks like black magic to me. I have never needed to do stuff like this so I just want to make sure I do things the correct way.
I know one of you posted that the voltage setting of 0.900V works stable and drops the temps by 12 deg, which would eliminate the throttling problem I am having right now. I am in So Dakota, it is hot and humid as hell and my lappy does not cool as it should, plus my room has no AC and I am stuck here for 2 weeks, so I have to find a way to play my TDU and Battlefield 2, or else I go mad !
Help me, someone, anyone ?
DK

Hi guys,

I just got this baby last friday. It's pretty sweet so far! The only major problem I have is with the video drivers. I ran Far Cry with everything Very High with water set to Ultra Quality at 1024 X 768. But when I turn on HDR quality 7 the sky goes dark. Also, the frame rates are abysmal during firefights making it almost unplayble. Do you any of you guys know the solution to the sky going dark in Far Cry when HDR is on and also issues with the drop in frame rates during firefights? Are there any new Vista drivers for the Geforce Go 7600, if so, has anyone tried it and has seen performance benefits? Help would greatly be appreciated! Thanks!

Well, I need some help.

I bought the Merc Gaming keyboard from Zboard for my gaming needs.

I am unable to use the keys ingame as the keys activate both the ingame function, and a function in windows at the same time. Eg, I press the forward button on the gamepad, and it moves me forward in the game and then brings me back to windows where it opens up a new screen of firefox...

What could this be due to? The zboard site seems to have expired or something...

willy wanker, post a hotlink here to download it, and some instructions....I'll see if I can grow the balls to try it out....and if I get lucky enough, someone else will come alongside me and test out this bios.

now its supposed to unlock a lot of features such as raid, and overclocking the CPU, correct?

willy wanker, post a hotlink here to download it, and some instructions....I'll see if I can grow the balls to try it out....and if I get lucky enough, someone else will come alongside me and test out this bios.

now its supposed to unlock a lot of features such as raid, and overclocking the CPU, correct?

Dunno. It's an Amilo BIOS that's modded so it can be flashed on our lappys. I have no clue what it adds. All I know is that the Amilos have had half a dozen BIOS updates over the past 6 months, and we've had none.

I am by no means talented enough to engineer a custom BIOS. All I did was find the developer code in the Amilo BIOS and change it with a hex editor so that it matched the code in our BIOSs.

In theory it *should* work as the Amilos are 99.9% identical to the XT5000T, but I can't risk having my lappy go belly up -- and I can't afford to repair/replace it if that happens.

well....maybe post it up here, and should anyone decide they want a better bios to try out for a while ;) then here it is, and they can tell us how it went.

Hi guys,

I just got this baby last friday. It's pretty sweet so far! The only major problem I have is with the video drivers. I ran Far Cry with everything Very High with water set to Ultra Quality at 1024 X 768. But when I turn on HDR quality 7 the sky goes dark. Also, the frame rates are abysmal during firefights making it almost unplayble. Do you any of you guys know the solution to the sky going dark in Far Cry when HDR is on and also issues with the drop in frame rates during firefights? Are there any new Vista drivers for the Geforce Go 7600, if so, has anyone tried it and has seen performance benefits? Help would greatly be appreciated! Thanks!

You may be hitting the throttling issue as well. I had the exact same problem with HL2. Everything would be silky smooth until some Combine solders would show up, and then the processor would throttle back and the firefight would become a slideshow. Take your bottom cover off and lift up the laptop a bit in the back for better ventilation, then see if it still happens. Also get better drivers of course:

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

I just happened to install far cry also.
I had the same problems.
None of the HDR settings worked correctly, even with antialiasing off.
My frame rates were rather poor but I noticed online that they are comparable to other cards in our range. I was surprised seeing as how old this game is.

Using Vista, Everex drivers.
Undervolted CPU, so no overheating here.
I do have everything on high in far cry though.
But even with AA and AF off I only get about 2 extra frames.

it's not that risky if you really want to do it:
you can buy a CMOS chip similar to that used on the laptop (just make sure they have the same part number) and flash the new CMOS chip with the good everex BIOS and keep it as a backup CMOS. you can now proceed to flash the modified bios on the laptop. in case the modified BIOS fails, you can take the old CMOS off the board and replace it with the backup one. this CMOS is mounted on one side of the board, so you should be able to de-solder it without having to have access to the other side of the board. you just need some soldering tools (a small soldering tip + desolder wick or desolder pump to absorb leftover solder) and about 1 hour of practice (if you are new to soldering).
However, signs of soldering+desoldering may void the warranty. but at least it's fail-safe, right? ;)
too bad i cant help with this because my people are using the laptop extensively.

I don't want to sound like a noob, but I have never done this before, so I better ask before I do something stupid to my XT5000T.
I just downloaded a RMClock Utility and wanted to lower the voltage of my CPU without OCing or DCing my core. I looked at the interface and it all looks like black magic to me. I have never needed to do stuff like this so I just want to make sure I do things the correct way.
I know one of you posted that the voltage setting of 0.900V works stable and drops the temps by 12 deg, which would eliminate the throttling problem I am having right now. I am in So Dakota, it is hot and humid as hell and my lappy does not cool as it should, plus my room has no AC and I am stuck here for 2 weeks, so I have to find a way to play my TDU and Battlefield 2, or else I go mad !
DK
you do sound like a noob. but dont worry, i do too :p
ok, go to Management/CPU default setting. this is where you can set the default voltage in case you quit RMclock. after setting it, you can quit RMclock to have the setting applied - this is the simplest way.
the more advanced way is:
go to Profiles, choose a sub-profile (power saving/ max performance/ etc - i suggest you use 'Perf on Demand') and adjust the voltage settings for that profile. then expand Profile to see these sub-profiles individually. go to the sub profile you just adjusted ('Perf on Demand') and click on 'Use P state transition', then tick in the voltage/multiplier settings that you want to use. Apply. The setting you chose will be applied RIGHT AWAY. Done

now if you quit RMclock, the voltage will revert to the default setting you set above

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfreak
Thanks
DK

you do sound like a noob. but dont worry, i do too
ok, go to Management/CPU default setting. this is where you can set the default voltage in case you quit RMclock. after setting it, you can quit RMclock to have the setting applied - this is the simplest way.
the more advanced way is:
go to Profiles, choose a sub-profile (power saving/ max performance/ etc - i suggest you use 'Perf on Demand') and adjust the voltage settings for that profile. then expand Profile to see these sub-profiles individually. go to the sub profile you just adjusted ('Perf on Demand') and click on 'Use P state transition', then tick in the voltage/multiplier settings that you want to use. Apply. The setting you chose will be applied RIGHT AWAY. Done

now if you quit RMclock, the voltage will revert to the default setting you set above

Well I figured it out on my own, took the risk. Basically I went to profiles, and edited the max performance one, so that when I am gaming I don't throttle down and use lower voltage. For now I set it at 0.950V and the games run stable. The CPU still hits ca. 81 C, but this is in the room with about 80 F ambient temp, so there is not much in a way of help here !
I set it up so that it runs undervolted only when selected. This way I do not run the risk of damaging my CPU with constant undervolt, just for 1 or 2 hours of gaming and than back to throttled mode on regular 0.800V for web browsing.
Thanks for the reply though, very nice and informative.
DK

Is there any reason why both shift keys would stop working? Maybe some strange key combination got hit? They worked fine for me, but the person I sold it to says they don't.

You may be hitting the throttling issue as well. I had the exact same problem with HL2. Everything would be silky smooth until some Combine solders would show up, and then the processor would throttle back and the firefight would become a slideshow. Take your bottom cover off and lift up the laptop a bit in the back for better ventilation, then see if it still happens. Also get better drivers of course:

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

Thanks for the input guys. Could you please point me to a particular driver that I could download that might fix the issue with Far Cry. On a side note, I am guessing that I can not just go and download the latest Vista drivers from Nvidia's site which is driver 158.24 released June 1st, right? Also does anyone think that Nvidia will ever release drivers for the GeForce Go 7600, I know they have drivers for GeForce Go 7800/7900 although for Win XP not vista. Anyones input would be great!

Well, Its here. Newegg split my order so I am still on a GB of ram, but its all good.

I love the laptop. The sound is AWESOME, the screen is BEAUTIFUL, and the performance seems to be solid.

Im not able to go over 1024 res in ut2004 for some reason, any idea why? If I go any higher the screen gets screwed up.

The keyboard sucks really hard also, but other than that its all good.
Need to get it to native res - 1440x900 - should work fine there. Does for me anyway.

-bZj

Is there any sort of bios setting to get rid of the Everex splash screen and have it show some moderately useful information on boot?

I just recieved this beautiful laptop and after ditching Vista (Software incompatibilities) and loading XP x64, I am having a issue with the modem driver.(Unfortunately I do need it) Conexant doesn't have it on their site anymore and I can't find one anywhere. After I get XP stable and running, I am going to put Linux on it and will post my progress if anyone is interested.

Pharaoh

Back