Everex XT5000T Support thread

I'm surprised people are still buying these now that Dell has WAY better value laptops! The new Vostro line absolutely demolishes the XT5000T.. you can get one with a 15" 8600GT for around $750 now. The 17" is probably not far off, either.

Ummm the 17" Vostro line only comes with 8400GT's. And Pricing out a 15" with similar features to the Everex and a 8600 brings it up to $940... So this is still a much better value than the Dell lappys, even with it being $800 now.

Nitaant, you will see better frame rates with XP but I suggest trying out Vista first and see if you happy with the gaming performance. I've been using Vista for gaming lately and haven't really noticed the performance difference. I didn't have any problems with overheating, but I undervolted the cpu anyway just to reduce temps even more. So the cooler really isn't necessary. I do have the video overclocked, improved my benchmark scores a bit and hasn't caused any lockups so you should be OK with that. If you only play at 1024x768 you should be able to get at least two years out of this I would think, I was using my 3yr old Dell with a 9600 Pro in it until I got this and could still play HL2 and such just fine.

the Vostro 1700 has up to a 8600GT.. yesterday i could of sworn i saw it in the customize page; however, today it's not there. But in the product description for the vostro 1700 on the main vostro page, states that the vostro 1700 can have a 8600GT

At 60-70% detail you should be fine for a while. There is never a promise as you never know what the next big thing will require.

If you go with RMClock and undervolt a bit then you shouldn't need a cooler, unless you play the games with the lappie on the stove. A slight bit of OC to the video is fine, I'll run from 450 core and 400 memort to 515 core and 450 memory. It makes for a nice boost.

The 8600 is available on the Vostro 1500, not the 1700. 199 option and the 2x160 gig 5400 rpm drives a 350 option. spent 331 delivered for 2x7200.2 160 gigs here, another 10 or so for an enclosure and I get a removable 100 gig storage device.

so built a Vostro 1500 for 1327.00
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5470 (1.6GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista™ Business
15.4 in UltraSharp™ Wide Scrn SXGA+LCD Display w/TrueLife™
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
160G 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
256MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8600M GT
Dell Wireless 1490 802.11a/g Wi-Fi Mini Card
No Webcam Option
High Definition Audio 2.0
My Accessories
56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
My Software
MS Works 8.5-Eng: Basic Spreadsheet, Word Processing & Calendar Program
Norton Internet Security™; 2007, 30 day Subscription
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.08
My Support & Services
1 Year Limited Hardware Warranty with Mail-in Service
10GB for 1yr Online Backup by Dell Datasafe
1 Year Dell Automated PC Tuneup
DellNetwork Assistant 1.7
No Onsite System Setup
Also Included
Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Windows Vista™ Basic
Intel Celeron LabelCompatibility Alert
Recalculating Price

and then a Vostro 1700 for 1507.00
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5470 (1.6GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows Vista™ Business
17.0 inch Wide Screen XGA+ LCD Display
2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz, 2 DIMM
DUAL HARD DRIVES, 320G (2x 160) 5400RPM SATA hard drive
24X CD Burner/DVD Combo Drive
128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS
Dell Wireless 1490 802.11a/g Wi-Fi Mini Card
No Camera
Integrated High Definition Audio
My Accessories
56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
My Software
MS Works 8.5-Eng: Basic Spreadsheet, Word Processing and Calendar Program
Norton Internet Security™; 2007, 30 day Subscription
Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.08
My Support & Services
1 Year Limited Hardware Warranty with Mail-in Service
10GB for 1yr Online Backup by Dell Datasafe
1 Year Dell Automated PC Tuneup
DellNetwork Assistant 1.7
No Onsite System Setup
Also Included
Windows Vista™ Basic
Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

Well, I bought this laptop and am waiting for it to be delivered. I have some queries and concerns.

I'm a gamer. Apart from regular browsing of the internet, which I will do alot, and which I won't have any problems on this PC with, I like to game.

I am not a "make it look as good as possible" junky - I want playable graphics with playable performance.

My games of choice are Unreal Tournament 2004, a couple of other multiplayer FPSs, perhaps ill try out stalker/fear..

I also play MMORPGS - WoW, City of Villains, Guild Wars

a) Should I go ahead and use XP home edition for gaming? Im sure ill have alot less trouble with better framerates on most if not all games

b) While the two buttons at a time restriction will be a bitch even while not gaming, Ive got myself an extra USB keyboard- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16823107134. With this and an MX518 am I good to go for gaming?

I also have upgraded to 2gb of RAM, DDR2 533

c) Should I pickup on of those cooler base things if I am going to game alot? I have heard bad things about Turons and overheating...

d) Should I bother OCing it ? Is the performance boost enough if I OC it to stable temperatures to warrant the voiding of the warranty? I am not a junky and don't NEED more FPS or Graphics, but if I can manage higher settings with an acceptable framerate im all for it.

e) How long will this laptop last me for gaming considering I am OK with gaming at 1024 x 788 or whatever that Res is, with 60-70% of the maximal graphic settings available in the game? A year? Two?

Thanks for all replies, this is a great support thread and I hope to contribute to it when I have some experience with my XT5000%

Cheers!
That keybord is PS/2, there is no PS/2 on the Everex - you need a USB KB.

UT2k4 runs very well on the Everex under Vista - no need for XP.

I would get a cooler if you plan on gaming a lot - they are cheap solutions to the problem.

Res is 1440x900, and should be OK for anything up to current gen games, maybe some next gen titles, with some candy turned off.

-bZj

Hi fellas I've read every page of the everex xt5000t and I must say u guys are putting a very good impression on this notebook, besides the heating and keyboard there is really no problems with this beautiful machine. I would like to thank everyone who posted on this forum whether is was a problem they were having they had many supporters here taht were there to aid them in their need of help, thanks alot I am purchasing one here soon should be here in about 2 business days.

Hey Moderator,

This thread still growing strong, why not put up STICKY to stay top of it ? ;)

Thanks,
Phatbx133

dude...who cares about sticky? take a look at how many posts it has...contrasted to ever other post......................this one has almost 30 times more posts than any other one...

it's been auto-stickied.

So, I have been pouring over this forum for the past several days prior to getting the XT500T and also during setup. I have undervolted my CPU to 0.975 w/o overclock and I have been trying to OC my GPU. Initially I was able to get it up to 500/450 with nTune and it was still stable. But after I replaced my HD with a Seagate 7200rpm 100GB, when I overclock it with the same settings it shoots from 72C to 98C in just about 25 seconds of a 3DMark 06 test. My CPU remains at a cool 70C during this. I wasn't having such a severe heating problem last night when I was running benchmarks... could the new HD really be producing that much heat?

Oh, I forgot to mention that when it hits about 100C the driver errors out and 3DMark freezes and it all resets.

One of the things that I like about the xt5000t is the discrete GPU with DVI port for such a low price (a major advantage compared to Dell's Vostro). Does anyone know how high the external resolution can go through the DVI port? Can it reach 1920x1080 to drive a LCD TV? I have heard that the VGA port can reach these resolutions, but sometimes the DVI port cannot.

Thanks,

Gigi

Adamsw216 said:
Initially I was able to get it up to 500/450 with nTune and it was still stable. But after I replaced my HD with a Seagate 7200rpm 100GB, when I overclock it with the same settings it shoots from 72C to 98C in just about 25 seconds of a 3DMark 06 test.

I was able to get similar clocks in nTune with Everex driver (whatever it is), but since I upgraded my driver to modded 158.43 (I think) the clocks never pass the test and I can not OC. I have installed RivaTuner, but didn't get a chance to try. I guess what I am saying is, if you updated the drivers it could have created an issue with fan speed or something similar. I don't think that HD should generate so much heat, plus they are kind of far from each other.
DK

Whoa something funny going on there wish I had some advice. I'm unvolting at .925 and cpu stays at approx 59-61c this is with 2 of the seagate 120gb 7200.2 installed. The hds run at approx 36c. Not ocing the gpu though.

Andy

I would like to see the computer runnng a game of any kind dont matter, also all the sides, bottom, top, and of course the notebook open. I will be paying u by giving u ups on ur lappy.

So, I haven't exactly solved the problem, but I have just been keeping it at factory clock settings... the GPU still gets pretty hot (high 80's).

After I got my new HD (the 7200 Seagate) I did a Windows Performance Test and got some suprisingly high scores (from what I've been seeing people post on this thread):

Processor: 4.6
RAM: 5.5
Graphics: 5.2
Gaming: 4.9
HDD: 5.0

I have the G.Skills 1GB x2 in it and the aforementioned HD. I was wondering how everyone else's scores have been lately.

(I have made no driver updates)

One of the things that I like about the xt5000t is the discrete GPU with DVI port for such a low price (a major advantage compared to Dell's Vostro). Does anyone know how high the external resolution can go through the DVI port? Can it reach 1920x1080 to drive a LCD TV? I have heard that the VGA port can reach these resolutions, but sometimes the DVI port cannot.

Thanks,

Gigi

it appears that the highest output that the dvi can do is 2048x1536, so id say your in luck with 1920x1080, as is a supported resolution by the dvi output as well. ive only tested to 1680x1050 and it worked perfect for me.

Hey everyone I just finally fixed me issue with this laptop and that issue was the throttling. I used RMClock to lower the voltage but I just have one question. I play alot of WoW on this laptop and im running it at 8.0x and 1v. I really dont care about how quite it is I just want it to be stable and not hit 80c cause thats when it throttles down. So do you suggest I set the volts at something else or keep it the way it is? I really just looking for stability. THanks!

Very nice man, to bad no sound though but that doesnt matter cant wait to get my $817 for this beast, thnx alot.

Hey everyone I just finally fixed me issue with this laptop and that issue was the throttling. I used RMClock to lower the voltage but I just have one question. I play alot of WoW on this laptop and im running it at 8.0x and 1v. I really dont care about how quite it is I just want it to be stable and not hit 80c cause thats when it throttles down. So do you suggest I set the volts at something else or keep it the way it is? I really just looking for stability. THanks!

If that setting stops the machine from getting to 80C, then that's all you need. I was able to push mine down to 0.9v and stress tested it for 24 hours to make sure it was stable. Now under full load temps never get above 68C.

Cooler is definitely better. Too bad we can't do the same thing for the GPU, which frequently hits over 100C under load for me (that's BOILING temp).

you need to test this for yourself using rmclock and orthos. some people can run as low as .85v others cant run below 1.0v

Hey guys. First of all thanks for all the great info. I was one of the lucky few that got in on the original $699 deal and have been lurking here ever since. Most everyone has provided me a ton of help without knowing it and once again thank you.
Just thought I'd share a hot deal with you all. Dell (yeah I know but keep reading) has a great deal on 160gb 7200rpm notebook drive. It is a rebranded seagate which you can see in the picture on the dell site. Here it is for $129 and free 3-5 day shipping. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dfh&cs=22&sku=341-4636
I hope it helps a little anyways.

does anyone know how and where to order customized sheetmetal? i wanna replace the plastic cover plate underneath xt5000t with a customized copper plate to dissipate the heat better

what i plan is that i will send the said sheetmetal store the plastic plate, have them duplicate it with copper, add some extra contact points on the plate so that it would make contact with the heatsinks of the CPU and GPU. then voila, you will have a giant external heatsink for the laptop. it may be a tad heavier, but who cares.

neitsi...can you make a quick mspaint image of what exactly you're talking about? a heatsink to cool the gpu ?

like this:
i want to turn the cover plate underneath the laptop into a heatsink for the CPU and GPU
untitledkj1.jpg

Umm... call me silly but this sounds like a really REALLY bad idea.

Not only do I question the efficiency of such a project (as in, will it really accomplish much), but with metal to metal contact with the CPU and GPU I'm thinking one stray spark of static electricity and you're gonna have a 9 lb paperweight.

My thoughts exactly....brings to mind the great copper shim fiasco several years ago where everyone was blowing up their new socket A processors....bad idea IMO

My thoughts exactly....brings to mind the great copper shim fiasco several years ago where everyone was blowing up their new socket A processors....bad idea IMO

heh :D

oh Major, I'm finally getting my laptop coolers! they come Tuesday. The lady at office depot pushed the order through and gave me free shipping so $41.96 total :D. finally someone at OD did something right :)

Glad you are getting them, I'm using two of the four I bought right now...can't beat them for $10 bucks especially with the USB ports :cool:

does anyone know ANY way at all to force the cpu fan....to be on 100% all the time? I hate how it's running hot...and the fan is lazily chillin' around like 60% power..........

Hey guys, just joined the XT5000T club, and I'm planning on putting in some serious WoW sessions on the lappy in a couple of weeks. (I'm joining up with some old friends in Vegas, then road-tripping to Anaheim for BlizzCon)

Can anyone recommend cooling solutions for this thing?

I'm going to download RMClock and address any possible throttling issues, but I have a feeling that I may benefit from some additional cooling since I'll likely be putting in some 4-5 hour raids on this thing while I'm in Vegas. (I'm going to get a separate USB keyboard :D)

I'm a portable computing n00b, but what I've seen are basically two types of coolers: the undercarraige "pad" type and the latch-onto-exhaust-grill "exhaust blower" type.

Since I'm flying across the nation with this thing (I live in CT) I'd prefer less baggage, and that points to the latter, but are the little exhaust-grill types any good? This one has only two reviews, a 5 out of 5 and a 1 out of 5: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834992010

And the only other one I've found was this one, which looks like it might even be the same thing with different decals: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=VEN-NB-MA1&cat=NBB

And on the "pad" types, it looks like very few of them are big enough to really "match" the size of the XT5000T, which is a monster at ~15" wide; and some of the reviews I've read have said that passive cooling often works just as well as active on the pads.

Any comments?

Back