Epic Games Store

It's not what they are doing. It is the context. People don't like epic for good reason. They didn't arbitrarily decide they are not going to like them. Epic well earned their hatred.
any other industry the competitors are brutal and cuthroat. Steam has been assraping developers for years. I mean it is great that it has given them access to makets, but that access originally came at a price of 40%, now down to 30%. I love games and shit but I'd rather have the money I spend on them go to developers. Making gaben richer does nothing for me, since with their monopoly they abandoned less profitable stuff like HL3.

Epic comes along, and shit, getting 12% commission, that is a pretty sweet deal. If I was them I would try to buy up every single title possible. Steam could easily end this in a moment by reducing their take to say 15%. Nobody is going to use epic for a 3% savings. But steam has doing nothing. They would rather continue collecting 30% on the stuff they have then go to a more reasonable number.

I kinda want to try Ashen but I wish the game had a face to it I should just play Fortnite once instead. jk

get it. I thought $40 was pretty high for a new IP but at $20 it is well worth the cost. its not dark souls but it does do a lot of good things

gearbox yanked it, as did some other preorders that were available. speculation is that a preorder sale devalues the game so those companies opted out.
People that picked it up the first day (or before) are getting the discount.

its all made up bullshit. people don't like epic so they are brigading, bitching about sales where epic is essentially giving you money to reduce the cost of games.
They could have done a better job communicating with the developers but still.

They could have done a better job in the not making people hate them department years back. They could also do a better job of not making people hate them now. It's pretty simple.

gearbox yanked it, as did some other preorders that were available. speculation is that a preorder sale devalues the game so those companies opted out.

Which just goes to show how fucked the whole business is. I might have pre-ordered Vampire: The Masquerade 2 in the sale, which would have cost Paradox nothing since the discount is subsidised by Epic. Now, I'll wait for reviews and not buy it at all if it sucks, and even if it doesn't I'll wait for a sale - on whichever platform - which probably won't be subsidised. Good job!

They could have done a better job in the not making people hate them department years back. They could also do a better job of not making people hate them now. It's pretty simple.

While I agree with you, why would they, they make boatloads of money same goes for the other hated publishers like EA etc..

Steam fanboys were going to hate them no matter what because it's not Steam. The vast majority of haters are simply steam fanboys or just don't want to use another launcher and don't understand the ramifications of no competition (which ironically includes even more launchers). The only way to get people to use it and grow into a steam competitor is exclusives which pisses those people off.

Most people don't care, and most of the haters will give in and use it despite what they say.

Eh, everyone was all excited in the beginning at the thought of "steam competition" which would mean "lower prices" or price wars for games.
The idea is somewhat ludicrous, which dev/publisher would want their games to sell for LESS on any platform? Sales sure, but this is not about sales.
Then reality set in, it is not about competition to get customers but competition to get developers.
Steams response, nothing. They are happy with their model exactly the way it is.
Epic fucked up a lot of things. They also would do better to STFU. But still I believe it is a net positive for gaming industry.
Developers and financiers get a larger cut of the pie and that allows them to do more in the future without falling into microtransactions or other BS.

Steams response, nothing. They are happy with their model exactly the way it is.

Developers and financiers get a larger cut of the pie and that allows them to do more in the future without falling into microtransactions or other BS.
Steam response to what exactly? Epic lighting money on fire as fast as they take it from the Fortnite kiddies they prey on?

There is no response to insanity. EGS barely exists. And to quote Napoleon "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake".

Seriously, what would you have them do, also start bribing publishers to stop games being sold on other stores? Fuck that, a race to the bottom like that and we all lose. PC is an open platform and nobody sane wants the childishness of console fanboyism mentality infecting it more than it already has.

As for "bigger cut of the pie" people keep saying that not apparently factoring that's only meaningful with equal sized pies. Keep 70% of an arena sized pie, or 88% of a pie that fits on head of a pin?

Last edited:
Steam response to what exactly?

Steam already responded, with a gradual 30/25/20% fee cut instead of a flat 30%. Still not on par with Epic's flat 12% but certainly makes Steam more competitive.

PC is an open platform and nobody sane wants the childishness of console fanboyism mentality infecting it more than it already has.

Uh, you realize that video game clients have nothing to do with if a platform (OS/hardware eco system) is open or not right? Windows is still an open platform. Both Newell and Sweeney were pissed at Microsoft's attempt to push for their Windows Store which was seen as an attempt to emulate iOS long term. As in, all applications must come from that one source similar to the App Store. As Epic doesn't make an OS or hardware eco system they can't create a closed platform. They're just an app on a platform, like Origin, Uplay and Steam.

As for "bigger cut of the pie" people keep saying that not apparently factoring that's only meaningful with equal sized pies. Keep 70% of an arena sized pie, or 88% of a pie that fits on head of a pin?

LOL you get the 88% and a year later you have another launch of your game and get the 70%. That sounds like a pretty good model to me.

LOL you get the 88% and a year later you have another launch of your game and get the 70%. That sounds like a pretty good model to me.
70% of what a year later, long after the initial launch hype has faded and the game is old news? They'll never make up the lost sales of the initial launch window - it's a one time shot.

Going the route of micro-selling on EGS for a year also casts a long shadow on the developer's next or follow-up projects / sequels, because of the lost momentum with many potential buyers writing off or just forgetting about the game or publisher.

Last edited:
Eh, everyone was all excited in the beginning at the thought of "steam competition" which would mean "lower prices" or price wars for games.
The idea is somewhat ludicrous, which dev/publisher would want their games to sell for LESS on any platform? Sales sure, but this is not about sales.
Then reality set in, it is not about competition to get customers but competition to get developers.
Epic fucked up a lot of things. They also would do better to STFU. But still I believe it is a net positive for gaming industry.
upload_2019-5-31_15-2-20.png

I would talk about how retarded it is to compare a 5 year old game's price to one that isn't even out yet but you guys don't care how stupid the reasons are, you just want to hate.

I would talk about how retarded it is to compare a 5 year old game's price to one that isn't even out yet but you guys don't care how stupid the reasons are, you just want to hate.

I don't recall the same protest from you when Epic spun the reverse - patting themselves on the back for Exodus first week sales exceeding those of 5 year old Last Light - a game far more unknown when it launched.

As for the graphic Armenius posted, age isn't really what's significant there.

Last edited:
selling greymaket keys from one region into another region is not competition
Tell that to the people happily buying those keys, including people in this forum.

I'm no fan of greymarket keys but compared to Epic's idea of competition as limiting a game to only be sold on one store, it's competition indeed.

No more retarded than missing the point of the comparison.

Tell that to the people happily buying those keys, including people in this forum.

I'm no fan of greymarket keys but compared to Epic's idea of competition as limiting a game to only be sold on one store, it's competition indeed.

His argument is completely fallacious to begin with because they are not grey market keys.

https://archive.is/5RDPl

Hmm, I wonder who that platform would be...
Yep saw that. Smart CEO.

Instead of a flat amount for the bribe checks, Tim thought he was being really smart by framing it as "we'll buy 500,000 copies, but then you have to turn around and press release that you sold 500,000 copies on the first day".

Case in point Satisfactory. Developer complain-joked for weeks about poor sales, then suddenly boasts 507,374 copies sold. Turns out Epic was 500,000 of those.

Like a kid with a lemonade stand and his mommy buys all the lemonade.

Last edited:
So I just watched some E3 trailers and from what I can tell the following games I am interested in will be Epic Store exclusives:

Nazi Zombie Army 4
Shenmue 3
Borderlands 3
The Outer Worlds

This kind of sucks to be honest, but not in the way you think at least for me. The ONLY thing I hate about the Epic Game Store is the lack of cloud game saves. Yes I know it'll be happening soon, but beyond that I don't really care about the storefront. I am going to buy and play the games that I want where they're available at. As long as the store can mature more as far as features and faster too I won't mind having it on my computer... yes it fucking sucks that I have yet another launcher on my computer (I think this makes it 5) but it is what it is. It's not going away, and more competition in the longrun may not be a bad thing. Everyone hated the Origin and UPlay launchers for forever and they turned into some of the most competent launchers out there.

So I just watched some E3 trailers and from what I can tell the following games I am interested in will be Epic Store exclusives:

Nazi Zombie Army 4
Shenmue 3
Borderlands 3
The Outer Worlds

This kind of sucks to be honest, but not in the way you think at least for me. The ONLY thing I hate about the Epic Game Store is the lack of cloud game saves. Yes I know it'll be happening soon, but beyond that I don't really care about the storefront. I am going to buy and play the games that I want where they're available at. As long as the store can mature more as far as features and faster too I won't mind having it on my computer... yes it fucking sucks that I have yet another launcher on my computer (I think this makes it 5) but it is what it is. It's not going away, and more competition in the longrun may not be a bad thing. Everyone hated the Origin and UPlay launchers for forever and they turned into some of the most competent launchers out there.

IT was looking bad a few months ago but now Bungie's Destiny went to Steam along with all the Bethesda ID software titles. Untill Epic has a streamlined system for data files I won't be buying much from them. Only picked up Borderlands 3 and the Division 2 which can launch on Uplay. Cyberpunk 2077 is on both Steam and Epic along with GOG so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

IT was looking bad a few months ago but now Bungie's Destiny went to Steam along with all the Bethesda ID software titles. Untill Epic has a streamlined system for data files I won't be buying much from them. Only picked up Borderlands 3 and the Division 2 which can launch on Uplay. Cyberpunk 2077 is on both Steam and Epic along with GOG so there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I had recently bought a new 2TB NvME drive for my main games drive and I had my 512GB one for sale, and at the last second before packaging up the 512GB one I had loaded up Metro Exodus on Epic and I panicked because my save game wasn't there. Luckily I hadn't wiped the 512gb drive yet and was able to get it off, but man having to manually backup my save games is very weird in this day and age. I remember having to do this all the time back in the day, but literally every other launcher has cloud saving and Epic still doesn't. Once that is resolved I won't mind the store so much. I just hate the thought of losing save games especially if my Epic Store library grows over time (which I vowed I wouldn't initially buy anything on).

I think they're up to 18 games they've given away for free now and I have them all in my library. Then I have Unreal Tournament, Fortnite, and Spellbreak which are all free to play. The only game I actually bought on Epic is Satisfactory.

I typically don't pre-order games but I'm pre-ordering Shenmue 3 as soon as it's available and I will probably buy Borderlands 3 at launch.

I'm also keeping an eye on Chivalry 2 but I don't have high hopes for it.

If a game I wanted was on both Steam and Epic for the same price I would probably buy it on Epic because their downloads are ten times faster for me (maxes out my gigabit) and they've had less down time than Steam. I don't really care about any launcher features except being able to play the game.

Is there a discussion forum for games purchased on the Epic Games Store? I want to read what others say about the game "Hades." I'm not enjoying it so far, but I want to give it a fair shake. So I was hoping that there was something akin to the Steam forums where I can read tips about the game.

I don't want to talk to children on Discord or watch a video of some dude playing. That's all I've found so far.

Yes, I'm old. Almost as old as Tim Sweeney.

Is there a discussion forum for games purchased on the Epic Games Store? I want to read what others say about the game "Hades." I'm not enjoying it so far, but I want to give it a fair shake. So I was hoping that there was something akin to the Steam forums where I can read tips about the game.

I don't want to talk to children on Discord or watch a video of some dude playing. That's all I've found so far.

Yes, I'm old. Almost as old as Tim Sweeney.
Discussion happening on Reddit is pretty good. They have links to tips and stuff on the sidebar.
https://old.reddit.com/r/HadesTheGame/

I've nearly made it to the end of the third plane (Elysium) so far. Probably sunk a good 30-40 hours in. It's definitely a challenging game and repetitive in the sense that you have to play through the same content to get back to where you were.. but definitely a faster paced rogue like type with a lot of potential modifications.

Epic must of sent CD keys a email or something I can't find any Epic keys on their site anymore I never bought one but was kinda intrested in the Sinking City.

My Epic launcher is screwed up not sure if it tired to update everything it out of order.

It looks like they are shifting their free games to where you can choose 1 out of 2. Today it is either this war of mine or moonlighter. After the announcement the page went wonky. You can probably retry.

Back