Epic Games Store

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Hardware' started by Blade-Runner, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Flogger23m

Flogger23m [H]ardForum Junkie

But they are. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, there are options to buy the games elsewhere:

BL3:
    https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/borderlands-3-pc/
    https://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/borderlands-3-pc-cd-key
    https://www.amazon.com/Borderlands-...rlands+3&qid=1564536938&s=gateway&sr=8-5&th=1

Outer Worlds:
    https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/the-outer-worlds-pc/

There is also Humble Bundle, but if I recall you don't count that for some reason.

Not every store will have every game as that is done by the publishers/developers who allocate keys to sites like GMG. There are many Steam games that I could not find on GMG or CD keys in the past, or ones that were only there temporarily.

Regional pricing has always been an issue for a few smaller less relevant countries and I'm sure they'll fine tune it more. While not the only reason, part of the reason the prices are higher on places like Steam is due to your governments forcing VAT or other types of sales tax in the purchase price. Obviously it isn't exact, but that 60 Euros includes your tax. That $60 in WA doesn't include their 10% sales tax. Factoring current exchange rate, 60 Euros ($67 USD) is pretty much directly equal to what an WA resident pays at $60.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  2. jiminator

jiminator Capt Obvious

Just for comparison, what region are you in, and how much does cyberpunk cost on EGS vs Steam? What about darksiders III? Bloodlines?

GoldenTiger likes this.
  3. odditory

odditory [H]ardness Supreme

GMG isn't an "option to buy it elsewhere" like the way there are 30+ sites to buy Steam games. It's just a EGS key.

Fortunately, since Microsoft now owns Obsidian and are too big to be swayed by a bribe check from Tim, Outer Worlds
    will also be on Xbox Game Pass for Windows 10, so people will have an actual choice where to get the game. Imagine that.

dragon69 likes this.
  4. Flogger23m

That is how it works on Steam as well, you only get a Steam key when you buy elsewhere. And that is what he is asking for, places to buy the game as he doesn't care about the launcher.

There are a handful of Steam games that have non-Steam versions, but those are typically old or small on GOG. But practically no developer bothers spending money putting them on two platforms (because it takes time and money). I don't see you throwing a tantrum over ArmA 3 or Deus Ex Mankind Divided requiring Steam regardless of store choice.

As for the 30+ sites, only a handful are legitimate or even worth buying from price wise. Outside of a few good ones like GMG you're better off pirating your games rather than entering your info on a scam site using stolen keys/credit cards. It is literally better for the developers due to lack of charge backs and safer for you.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  5. Viper87227

Viper87227 [H]ard as it Gets

How can you be so blind to what's really going on here? It's the exact. same. thing. The 30+ sites to buy a Steam key are still just selling a Steam key. They are selling a key locked to one platform. 100% the same as EGS selling a key that is locked to Epic. The only difference is that for Steam keys, a gray market exists. Basically all of the 30+ sites selling them cheaper than Steam, it's because they're selling bullshit keys. They might work, but they're bullshit keys. In fact, if you're buying keys from these sites, you're 100% part of the reason why EGS is so damn appealing to publishers where this practice doesn't yet exist. This is like saying you don't want to buy electronics at Wal-Mart because the guy in the white van in the parking lot sells stolen shit for cheaper.

sharknice, Flogger23m and GoldenTiger like this.
  6. Flogger23m

This is probably going to end soon, because developers are apparently going keyless. My understanding is that soon Ubisoft and similar will no longer have CD keys and if you purchase from another store like GMG you will sign in with your Uplay account and it will get tied to the account you signed in with. Example:
    https://gamedaily.biz/article/828/u...igital-for-keyless-game-distribution-solution

So those 30+ sties will likely shrink down to 5-6 or so before too long.

But, remember this guy just hates Epic because reddit/twitter told him to. :p

sharknice, Viper87227 and GoldenTiger like this.
  7. jiminator

jiminator Capt Obvious

https://www.polygon.com/2019/7/30/2...mercenaries-epic-games-store-ama-russ-bullock

GoldenTiger and sharknice like this.
  8. odditory

"Apparently... Soon ... Maybe...Ubisoft ."

Cool, but hypotheticals =/= reality as exists today. I don't care for greymarket sites personally, but every PC gaming thread on this forum is full of people clearly using them frequently, so they're a factor that you can't really ignore.

Pretending to care about where developers make the most money is adorable posturing in online discussions, but when people go to actually buy games most people just look for who has it for cheapest and DNGAF where/how the key came from. This is the reality.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    DooKey likes this.
  9. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

The only bullshit in this equation is your ridiculous assertions. The only seller that sells bullshit keys are G2A, and that's not even a seller just a marketplace, where crooks sell keys purchased with stolen credit cards.

You think if GMG was a bullshit merchant they would have direct connection to steam and ubisoft? Ubisoft games I purchased from GMG don't even come with keys I have to connect my uplay account and it is directly redeemed in it. How do you think that works if they are selling bullshit keys?

And you can also log in to gmg with your steam account now.

Nothing makes me more mad, than someone spewing fud out of ignorance.

10. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Why should I care about that?
    What does ubisoft going keyless has to do with epic?

GMG has been keyless for ubisoft games for a while now anyway. So you're way behind the curve on that one if that's news for you.

11. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

Of course I'm unhappy about having to do my shopping at a more expensive place that I never had intentions of shopping at. Why wouldn't I be unhappy. Are you happy when the price of something you buy goes up? Don't be a hypocrite.
    I don't want developers to sell games specifically on steam, I want them to sell games on multiple storefronts so people have a choice. But they treat customers as cattle, and act like their wants are not important. Well I'm here to prove them wrong. Whether you like it or not.
    The customer matters damn it. And what the customer wants goes, otherwise they're not getting a sale. Retail is not rocket science after all. If there is demand for red carpets, they can do fuck all with blue chairs.

The only thing epic is bringing about is a huge divide in the community, and a lot of bad rep for all those involved in their practices. "Not elegant", lol, it's scummy, and shows zero consideration for the community and the actual consumer. I've said this a few times too. Steam treats the end user as the consumer. Epic switched the roles around. The publisher is their consumer, and the users are their product. Well I'm not going to be their product, and that's that.

12. jiminator

jiminator Capt Obvious

you are bitching about EGS pricing vs Steam pricing. Since you did not respond with any numbers I'll assume the pricing is exactly the same.
    So your complaint is really about inability to get greymarket keys because you don't feel like waiting for a sale.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  13. M76

M76 [H]ardForum Junkie

No you're making a completely unfounded assertion, yet again.

I never bitched about steam vs egs, that your bias talking, because you think everyone who hates epic is a steam fanboy.

It's not like I baited you into that either since I articulated it very clearly that steam is also guilty of shafting less advanced EU countries with their prices.

But this proves that you don't even read my posts properly, so I'll stop wasting my time with this thread, goodbye.

Armenius likes this.
  14. Flogger23m

Because you know other developers are working towards this and that means many discount sites will disappear. Your main complaint against EGS is consumer choice of stores and soon Steam (and currently Uplay) will be similar.

Clearly, the few sites linked to aren't good enough (GMG, Amazon, CD keys and Humble Bundle) because you keep repeating this:

You know both are wrong, but you just can't admit it. Is CD keys, GMG, Humble Bundle and Amazon not a 3rd party seller? Why do you need to keep repeating this after having been corrected months ago?

Same with regional pricing. It exists and has for months on EGS. I'm sure it isn't 100% perfect per each country (same with Steam and I bet Uplay) but your claim that none have regional pricing is an outright lie.

Metro Exodus can be had for $20 if you live in certain regions:
    https://segmentnext.com/2019/02/06/epic-games-store-regional-pricing-metro-exodus/

Are you going to repeat the same claims again in the future?

Of course, regional pricing has never been perfect for all kinds of products. In time I assume it will get better. But this is more of an economic/political matter.

And you don't seem to acknowledge the tax differences (in practically all of Europe and most other places, tax is included in the listed price). So it isn't a straight $60 = $60 Euro conversion on Steam or EGS. If you're in the US, you're going to need to factor in sales tax on top of that. So prices may seem artificially high in some places but they're not paying sales tax on top of it. EX) A $10 purchase on Origin costs me $11. A $60 purchase, $66.

It isn't apparently or maybe. It is a reality. Digital downloads will never be the future of game distribution right? LOL.

Good thing you can buy EGS exclusives on 3rd party sites assuming the developers send keys to them. Or, in the near future, sign up with Genba. Or we can pretend it doesn't exist. The moon landing was fake to, right?

I don't mind pirating because most people had no intention of buying it and there is no financial loss for the developers. But when you steal peoples credit cards and charge back game developers, you're a piece of shit because they're loosing money. So I don't give a fuck about those people and they're no different from people breaking into homes or businesses to steal things. Take them out back and shoot them in the head with the other thieves for all I care.

GoldenTiger and sharknice like this.
  15. Viper87227

I'm honestly don't even know how to reply to you anymore. I thought it was pretty obvious my first two questions were rhetoric. I was making a point, that just like you don't like being locked into a specific platform that forces you to spend more, neither do industry professionals when it comes to Steam. I thought the rest of my post made that pretty clear. Of fucking course I don't want to pay more for anything, just like you, just like everyone else. You are so blinded by your disdain for Epic that I really don't even think your taking in what others are saying. You also seem incapable of understanding that you are not the only party that matters every time a digital transaction shakes out.

Sure, sound great to me too. But it's not real life. Not now, and not before Epic was in the picture. If you look at PC gaming over the last 5-years or so, what percentage of games do you think were strictly Steam releases, regardless of where you bought them? Probably a pretty massive percent. It amazes me that when games are locked to Steam, folks are good, but when a game is locked to EGS, it's the end of the fucking world that a game requires a specific launcher.

You keep going on about wanting choice. Once again I'm going to try (and no doubt fail) to bring you into the mindset of publishers and developers. Just like your lack of choice with EGS exclusives, they have long been without choice for where they can release their product. Lets take a moment and ponder how many major publishers have tried to break away from Steam.

EA/Origin - Smart enough to jump ship very early on, and thus far the only company to do it successfully.

Ubi/Uplay - Kept selling games on Steam and piggybacked their launcher because they knew trying to sell exclusively on uplay would tank their PC sales. Only managed to successfully ditch Steam when a competitor to Steam (EGS) arose.

Activation - Ditched Steam with Destiny 2 and Blops 4. Blops 4 sold under expectations and a Destiny 2, after being taken over by Bungie, is coming to Steam because that's the only way it can get a solid PC player base.

Bethesda - Ditched Steam with FO76. Game was shit but it failed hardest on PC. What a surprise that come 2019 Bethesda is back to selling their games on Steam.

There's a pattern here. There hasn't been a choice for pubs/devs. You sell on Steam or your game doesn't sell. Obviously Steam isn't forcing their hands, but it doesn't change the fact that they really haven't had a choice. EGS doesn't change that. Where do you think everyone is going to shop if a game launched simultaneously on Steam and EGS? All things equal, it's going into their Steam library, guaranteed. Steam sales would absolutely stampede EGS sales. Releasing on both platforms would be pointless, it wouldn't change anything for the content creators. This is why the exclusives. It's the only way to get people to switch to that platform. You get enough people to concede and start buying games on EGS, eventually it becomes normal. Just like when Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3 didn't appear on Steam, people bitched and moan and cryed boycott, and 8 years later nobody gives two shits that they need Origin for EA games. It's just what you have to do to play those games. No doubt Epic is hoping that in time, the same thing happens with EGS.

16. Newbie_52

Newbie_52 n00b

Of course battlefield and those games are only on origin, ea owns those games. But how is, less choice any better for the consumer?

Armenius likes this.
  17. Viper87227

You are not the only consumer in this equation. EGS is for everyone who wishes they could do what EA did, but aren't big enough.

Also, like I said, Steam has been the unofficial exclusive for almost everything. EGS isnt less choice, it's a different choice.

Legendary Gamer and GoldenTiger like this.
  18. Denpepe

Denpepe [H]ard|Gawd

Destiny 2 is coming to steam because Bungie is no longer Activision and needs a place to sell the game, they just have a grace period to make this thing happen, and probably only because Activision does not want the bad publicity by kicking them off Battle.net directly after Bungie got the rights back and make the game unavailble to players while Bungie get's a different DRM going.

Armenius likes this.
  19. jiminator

jiminator Capt Obvious

sony, xbox, epic!!!! WE HAVE NO CHOICE!!!

20. Flogger23m

They'll be dumping EGS soon. Ubisoft is a master of good PR. For example, on one hand they mention how they don't want to push political messages and stay neutral. They've said this a few times recently in articles/interviews. On the other hand, you see how SJW games like the new Ghost Recon and Watch Dogs are. Put the game on EGS, people hate it. People will learn to buy from Uplay directly because it isn't Epic and therefore is better. Pull game from Epic and go Uplay exclusive, no one cares. Pull game from Steam and go Uplay exclusive, the monkeys start throwing poo on social media. TLDR: Gamers are dumb.

* Unless Epic is giving Ubisoft free licenses for UE4 and other technology, which I doubt, there is zero reason to pull from Steam and put games on EGS aside from a PR move.

Ranulfo and odditory like this.
  21. Viper87227

If Ubisoft can successfully leverage the anti-Epic movement to go full throttle into releasing exclusively on Uplay, that's honestly pretty great for them. Much like I don't care about buying games on EGS, I don't care about buying games on Uplay... it wouldn't bother me one bit to see Ubisoft go that route.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  22. DWolvin

DWolvin [H]ard|Gawd

Wasn't it within the last few years that Ubiplay (Uplay?) was the cancerous and terrible launcher that everyone hated? I mean, before Origin at any rate...

GoldenTiger likes this.
  23. That_Sound_Guy

That_Sound_Guy 2[H]4U

An Oracle owned Java based game launcher, that's what I want to see enter the fray. Offering even more exclusives just to watch the paranoia set in.

DWolvin and sharknice like this.
  24. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

TL;DR the market can't be left to make a choice because they're making the wrong one.

25. Flogger23m

It was utterly terrible for a long time, but the last few games I played on it worked okay. Seems like it is on par with Origin now and most people use it without issues. Not as good as Steam and like Origin, I only use it for Ubisoft games.

Armenius likes this.
  26. odditory

Not really comparable. That's like slagging off legitimate criticisms of - shall we say a more recent president - with "Hey didn't everyone hate Lincoln at some point too?"

UPlay got on peoples nerves because you'd buy it on Steam but uPlay would sub-launch when you ran the game and it seemed needless sitting there resident. Origin got on peoples nerves because they removed Battlefield from Steam. In retrospect however nobody rational faults these companies for wanting to sell their own firstparty games on their own store.

That's not what's happening with EGS though. If EA and Ubi lowered the inconvenience bar slightly, Epic limbos right under it to downright anti-competition, anti-consumerism. Once again, nobody rational would fault Epic for building a digital store that builds slowly, gets the community's support, and ultimately competes with Steam on its quality and merits. But Epic seems to want it it all overnight and so they're engaging in anti-competitive behavior and taking hostages, which is turning people off.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  27. jiminator

jiminator Capt Obvious

What exactly is anti-competition about EGS? There is no monopoly. Steam could have competed to get any of the games EGS has. They have chosen not to. If steam wants to compete on parity then they can change their ToS to allow companies to charge higher prices on steam. Then companies can put their games in both stores and make the same amount of money. It would become a consumer decision if they wanted to pay steam 24% more so the developer gets the same cut.

I imagine the concept sounds ludicrous to many of you. But all the same you are happy for developers to have to pay a huge chunk of their income to steam for pretty much nothing.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  28. Newbie_52

Newbie_52 n00b

Wonder if EGS has the same policy on selling cheaper on another storefront? I have no idea but i doubt they will allow any games to sell cheaper elsewhere either, i mean once the exclusive period runs out on a specific game of course.

29. Flogger23m

Do explain what you mean by this. Is willingly going to store X instead of store Y now a hostage situation? "Officer, there is a better deal there and people are willingly going there. Please do something!"

I'll give you the bit about EGS being rushed in terms of not having basic features but you can argue that having good exclusives is a a good quality and merit for any platform. Valve can likely compete nearly 1 to 1 here. Cut the fees to a flat 18% and the value proposition to go to EGS just falls out, especially since they will have to raise them long term. But they're trying to sell on brand name alone and it just isn't working so well anymore.

GoldenTiger likes this.
  30. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

dragon69 and GoldenTiger like this.
  31. Bigbacon

Bigbacon [H]ardForum Junkie

this...I seriously would pay more for games just to have them on my platform of choice.

Flogger23m likes this.
  32. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

Well I'm downloading my first Epic game Metro Exodus even though I had the client for about 9 months already.
    got a deal with the Humble store.....I was able to change the location to a empty 1TB drive which has been sitting around for about a year since I bought it.

dragon69 and GoldenTiger like this.
  33. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

This client sucks I had Metro Exodus on a different drive and it uninstalled the game even though I had it on a different drive. When I uninstalled epic cause I kept getting a loading bar on the homescreen.. think I'll keep two copies of the game. I hope when I drop in the save file that I had backup that takes anway.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    dragon69 likes this.
  34. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

dragon69 likes this.
  35. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

Last time this happened I reinstalled Epic and lost all my downloads So not doing that again it's a problem on their end. HELL.jpg

dragon69 likes this.
  36. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

It takes a Kid from India to figure it out. No Thanks to Epic's Billion dollar Fortnite store.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    dragon69 likes this.
  37. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

https://www.reddit.com/r/fuckepic/

Someone is having too much fun I would be happy if I could add that Free game to my cart but it just keeps loading. Other Free games can be added at the games that cost money work as well.

dragon69 likes this.
  38. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

LOL You have to do the same thing for Epic to add games to your cart so you do it twice.

dragon69 likes this.
  39. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

Ok I couldn't get a refund for Mutants Road to Eden on Steam so I'm stuck paying for it but I bought in back in Dec. 2018.
    If this trend continues with free games people will have little incentive to buy games anymore.

40. odditory

Jimquisition weighs in on the ongoing EGS controversy, which has now reached peak intensity with the developer of the game DARQ inadvertently pulling back the curtain on Epic's mafia-like tactics.

Fast-forward to 10:15 for the DARQ part -- Epic approached an Indy dev that was about to release his game on Steam and GOG, and he turned down their "exclusivity" bribe because he "wants to work in the industry a long time, had already promised people the game on Steam and GOG, and wanted his word to mean something".

He then told Epic he'd love to sell the game on EGS too, and they replied "If you won't delete it from Steam then you can't sell it on EGS". So much for EGS being "All about the developers".

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    dragon69 likes this.