Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

not good... looks like from seriously dropped the ball on the pc port. hopefully the from fanboys and girls won't whitewash the issues away.

one could make a guess that the issue lies with anti cheat implementation but who knows. it's not exactly rare for big aaa games to come out that are optimized for console and the pc version is barely an afterthought.

performance on PC I'll admit does not sound amazing but I would still buy the PC version...wait for a patch if you need to but I'd still go PC all day over the consoles...who knows when the ray-tracing patch will arrive so waiting has other benefits as well as you can make your 1st playthrough even better

but despite these performance issues the game is still getting near perfect scores...that should tell you how great it is...freezes and stuttering barely lower anyone's overall score because the gameplay is best in class, tons of weapons/spells etc, HUGE open world, tons of bosses, NPC's, 100+ hour campaign etc...I was half kidding about best game of all-time but it seriously might be in the Top 3...

Last edited:
I am going to end up playing this only tomorrow night then get back and finish Horizon before really playing. I might be half way at most I think or maybe less on Horizon and don't want to stop. I have been waiting for this story to continue for so long. I am the same as delita, I have so many games I stopped playing because I got a new shiny one and couldn't get myself to get back into and finish them. I tried the play both types before, but that doesn't work on hard game like Souls + forgiving game like Horizon. They are too different in style and I can't tell you how many times I die in games when I tried that. Hell I stopped playing Demon's Souls about 3/4 through on PS5 because something on PC took over, and now I just can't get back into it.
Honestly sometimes even if I take a break longer than a few days I'll come back and 1) completely forget where I was in the story and worse 2) forget how to play the game (relearning the button mappings all over again) - and I hate that shit. I really do have a one track mind, my wife was right.

Definitely unfortunate news, hopefully the stuttering issue will be rectified quickly.

I just want to live in a world where games are designed from the ground up for PC and then ported to consoles.. or not, eff consoles.

performance on PC I'll admit does not sound amazing but I would still buy the PC version...wait for a patch if you need to but I'd still go PC all day over the consoles...who knows when the ray-tracing patch will arrive so waiting has other benefits as well as you can make your 1st playthrough even better

but despite these performance issues the game is still getting near perfect scores...that should tell you how great it is...freezes and stuttering barely lower anyone's overall score because the gameplay is best in class, tons of weapons/spells etc, HUGE open world, tons of bosses, NPC's, 100+ hour campaign etc...I was half kidding about best game of all-time but it seriously might be in the Top 3...
Yeah I mean they were playing without the nvidia patch as well prior and we have the day 1 patch, if this somehow has any issues on my rig I will go buy the PS5 version and send FromSoftware a nastygram.

The console versions aren't necessarily any better (before a potential day 1 patch).

The network tests on PS5 and Xbox had obvious performance issues.

This isn't a case of a developer giving 2nd rate treatment to PC or something like that. Its a case of a developer basically being stubborn for years and not ever contracting some talent to workshop their teams for a month or whatever, on how to code a game engine for better performance.

Like really, I bet they could have called up Sucker Punch (or insert good developer here) and said "hey, we are big fans of Ghosts of Tsushima. And your technology for it was amazing. We are making an open world game and would love to have your two most talented engine devs help us out for a couple of weeks". ----and I bet something like that could have easily been made to happen. If From were really interested.

This isn't a case of a developer giving 2nd rate treatment to PC or something like that. Its a case of a developer basically being stubborn for years and not ever contracting some talent to workshop their teams for a month or whatever, on how to code a game engine for better performance

their ports have gotten better with each new title- DS1--> DS2--> DS3--> Sekiro...Elden Ring is their first step back but like Colonel Sanders mentioned earlier it might have to do with the anti-cheat implementation (combined with this being their first truly open world game)

No ultrawide support. Graphics are last gen (at best) but the performance is reportedly terrible. From Soft always has, and always will, treat PC users as second class citizens.

I’m fine with last gen graphics. It just needs to run smooth.

I'm just not sure about this title, something just doesn't do it for me. Probably pick up on a sale down the line. No native UW is a deal break these days too.

The console versions aren't necessarily any better (before a potential day 1 patch).

The network tests on PS5 and Xbox had obvious performance issues.

This isn't a case of a developer giving 2nd rate treatment to PC or something like that. Its a case of a developer basically being stubborn for years and not ever contracting some talent to workshop their teams for a month or whatever, on how to code a game engine for better performance.

Like really, I bet they could have called up Sucker Punch (or insert good developer here) and said "hey, we are big fans of Ghosts of Tsushima. And your technology for it was amazing. We are making an open world game and would love to have your two most talented engine devs help us out for a couple of weeks". ----and I bet something like that could have easily been made to happen. If From were really interested.
the performance issues on ps5 and series x were not the same as what reviewers are experiencing with the pc version though. on console, sure you might dip below 60 fps in many areas, but it's just a dip - the pc issue is REALLY bad frame drops (down to below 20 fps at times) and HARD stutters. one is just the symptom of running out of GPU, the other is something like a threading problem or anti cheat issue.

several reviewers have already said the console version is MUCH better than pc right now. sucks but it's true.

also, every time an anticipated game comes out and there are issues reported by pre-release reviewers, people start clamoring for day 1 patches and convincing themselves they'll fix everything. many times, i would say the *majority* of the time, that ends up not being the case and it takes some time, if it ever happens at all, for the developers to fully address whatever the issue is. i am not holding my breath for these pc issues to be resolved in the first day or even weeks after launch.

the performance issues on ps5 and series x were not the same as what reviewers are experiencing with the pc version though. on console, sure you might dip below 60 fps in many areas, but it's just a dip - the pc issue is REALLY bad frame drops (down to below 20 fps at times) and HARD stutters. one is just the symptom of running out of GPU, the other is something like a threading problem or anti cheat issue.

several reviewers have already said the console version is MUCH better than pc right now. sucks but it's true.

also, every time an anticipated game comes out and there are issues reported by pre-release reviewers, people start clamoring for day 1 patches and convincing themselves they'll fix everything. many times, i would say the *majority* of the time, that ends up not being the case and it takes some time, if it ever happens at all, for the developers to fully address whatever the issue is. i am not holding my breath for these pc issues to be resolved in the first day or even weeks after launch.
I didn't have to watch the PS5 network tests for long, to see plenty of issues. I can't say I saw drops to 20. but I did see drops to 40 and wouldn't be surprised if there were some deeper cuts happening in scenarios I didn't see. I even saw little drops and studders, in very tight, indoor areas.

Also, the series X version performed worse in the network test and is reportedly still worse, in the review code. Despite the series X speccing a CPU and GPU which are both a bit faster than PS5.

We can split hairs on specific severity of this or that issue. IMO, its pretty clear here that the PC Master Race hasn't been singled out as a particular afterthought. Elden Ring has problems, no matter where you play it. (except maybe when you run PS4 code on a PS5. In the Network test, it was markedly smooth).

If it is some kind of net code problem related to anti-cheat software you can probably run steam in offline mode and it might speed things up.

I didn't have to watch the PS5 network tests for long, to see plenty of issues. I can't say I saw drops to 20. but I did see drops to 40 and wouldn't be surprised if there were some deeper cuts happening in scenarios I didn't see. I even saw little drops and studders, in very tight, indoor areas.

Also, the series X version performed worse in the network test and is reportedly still worse, in the review code. Despite the series X speccing a CPU and GPU which are both a bit faster than PS5.

We can split hairs on specific severity of this or that issue. IMO, its pretty clear here that the PC Master Race hasn't been singled out as a particular afterthought. Elden Ring has problems, no matter where you play it. (except maybe when you run PS4 code on a PS5. In the Network test, it was markedly smooth).
there are at least a couple of reviewers with 3080s who specifically said they moved to the ps5 version after getting frustrated with the pc version and found it a vastly better experience, even if still imperfect..

there are at least a couple of reviewers with 3080s who specifically said they moved to the ps5 version after getting frustrated with the pc version and found it a vastly better experience, even if still imperfect..
I wonder if the stuttering is a lack of VRAM issue, or something else. Just because someone says they have a 3080 doesn't mean it's adequate for 4K gaming. The 10GB of VRAM has always been a problem in certain scenarios.

I wonder if the stuttering is a lack of VRAM issue, or something else. Just because someone says they have a 3080 doesn't mean it's adequate for 4K gaming. The 10GB of VRAM has always been a problem in certain scenarios.
these reviewers said they dropped down all the way to 1080p and low settings and the game still had the stutters and frame drops.

How does a game with no ultrawide support, this many technical issues coupled with unoptimized last gen engine get 95% average PC rating on metacritic. I am sure it has amazing gameplay, but if people with 3080 cards have better experience on PS5 - shouldn't the PC review score reflect these issues?

How does a game with no ultrawide support, this many technical issues coupled with unoptimized last gen engine get 95% average PC rating on metacritic. I am sure it has amazing gameplay, but if people with 3080 cards have better experience on PS5 - shouldn't the PC review score reflect these issues?
Eh, it's up for debate. From will patch the issues, they always have. I vaguely remember Sekiro having stutter issues at launch as well, but i'd still rate it one of the best modern games ever.

If this game is basically an open world Sekiro with a dark souls class system, it's going to be incredible. I know that much.

Hopefully it's something simple like easy anti-cheat causing the issues, and they can release a quick fix. I don't recall anyone in pre-release tests on PC complaining about lack of performance.

Last edited:
it's really a question of how many pre-release reviewers (already a very limited number of people) played on pc, how many of that number actually are capable of analyzing and understanding pc performance problems and metrics, and how many of *that* number noticed problems.

we'll see more coverage about it if Digital Foundry gets a pc-specific video out soon and if they have problems, you can bet we all will.

we'll see more coverage about it if Digital Foundry gets a pc-specific video out soon and if they have problems, you can bet we all will.

DF mentioned a few days ago that they were not going to release their performance video until after testing it with the Day 1 patch...

DF.png

DF mentioned a few days ago that they were not going to release their performance video until after testing it with the Day 1 patch...

View attachment 447355
you mentioned earlier that one youtuber said he had the day 1 patch already so one would assume DF has it too. in either case, this tweet from DF makes it pretty clear From is aware of the performance problems and didn't want bad press from that, and thinks the patch improves it enough. only time will tell though.

you mentioned earlier that one youtuber said he had the day 1 patch already so one would assume DF has it too. in either case, this tweet from DF makes it pretty clear From is aware of the performance problems and didn't want bad press from that, and thinks the patch improves it enough. only time will tell though.

the PC issues are there but I don't think it's really affecting people's enjoyment of the game...even the ones reporting frame drops, stuttering etc are still giving the game 9/10 (instead of a 10/10)...so there's something about Elden Ring that is transcending any performance issues...this is no Skyrim or Fallout: New Vegas on release which had game-breaking bugs, quest fails, performance issues etc

the PC issues are there but I don't think it's really affecting people's enjoyment of the game...even the ones reporting frame drops, stuttering etc are still giving the game 9/10 (instead of a 10/10)...so there's something about Elden Ring that is transcending any performance issues...this is no Skyrim or Fallout: New Vegas on release which had game-breaking bugs, quest fails, performance issues etc
come on now... don't give into becoming an apologist just yet. i know you can hold out at least until DF's coverage :)

edit: to clarify, i'm not saying for sure there will be issues by launch time, either. but let's see what happens then and neither let From off the hook yet nor blame them for something that might not be relevant by release

Last edited:
come on now... don't give into becoming an apologist just yet. i know you can hold out at least until DF's coverage :)

I'm referring to the videos I've seen talking about the performance issues...I linked this video earlier in the thread...he's very critical of the PC issues but in the end still gives the game a 9/10...he said it would be 10/10 if the issues weren't there or once the issues are fixed...time-stamped the video...

I don't think Elden Ring will be Top 3 all-time (I was being a bit jokey as I love all From Software games) but I do think it will be in the conversation of all-time rankings...main reason being that Elden Ring is supposedly the culmination of all the work FromSoft has done over the past 10- 15 years...their magum opus...almost everything I've read and seen says it's better than Dark Souls 1...and DS1 is considered by many to be in all-time best games list (Top 25, 50 etc)...so it stand to reason that if ER is better than DS1 that it'll rank higher

but I'm biased in that I think all the FromSoft games since Dark Souls 1 are all time great and From Software is my all-time favorite developer
It's currently the highest rated game of all time on Metacritic, 97/100, with 45 reviews in. I was expecting a reasonably good open-world fantasy game, but it sounds like a day-1 must buy.

If you read carefully it’s basically a few people dogging the pc version, and they bought the ps5 version by their own admission. It’s interesting how people on the internet justify their purchases by downing alternatives.

If you read carefully it’s basically a few people dogging the pc version, and they bought the ps5 version by their own admission. It’s interesting how people on the internet justify their purchases by downing alternatives.
let's come back to this post if the port turns out to be shitty

I think you're overreacting to the potential issues...some frame drops and stuttering will most likely be there at launch but does that really ruin the experience?...yes I wish it wasn't there but I never noticed the frame pacing issues in Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3...stuttering is more noticeable and annoying but this far from a disaster or a 'shitty port' even with those things

Does it matter either way? What I said is still what is going on. People can read and lookup reviews if they’d like. I have zero issue saying I paid full price for the pc version and I’ll enjoy it. I don’t need to justify why.

I think you're overreacting to the potential issues...some frame drops and stuttering will most likely be there at launch but does that really ruin the experience?...yes I wish it wasn't there but I never noticed the frame pacing issues in Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3...stuttering is more noticeable and annoying but this far from a disaster or a 'shitty port' even with those things
all i'm doing is discussing other people's experiences and saying that i hope the release version is better... what good does it do to pre-emptively rationalize issues the game (could, might, potentially) have? i'm not questioning how good every other aspect of the game is. it's obviously going to be amazing in terms of gameplay. it would just seriously suck if it performs like shit on a good gaming pc.

i'm literally just saying hey, heads up, there might be performance issues in the pc version, but none of us can say for sure yet.

Yeah despite the performance issues the reviews are still 9's and 10's. If it was gamebreakingly bad, they wouldn't be that high. Also, I've seen reviews stating that while they did notice some drops and stuttering, they never ran into dying purely from performance related issues. I still expect From to fix whatever issues that remain to the best of their ability, but my complaining will be limited unless I'm literally dying in the game from performance issues.

i won't comment on it further until either DF's analysis drops or after launch and i've tried it out myself. i just wish i had you guys' optimism, lol.

i won't comment on it further until either DF's analysis drops or after launch and i've tried it out myself. i just wish i had you guys' optimism, lol.
The proof is in the pudding. The metacritic score and other major reviews are overwhelmingly positive with said bugs you mentioned. It’s not often reviews from various places line up like that. Especially this day and age where everyone likes to complain and have clickbait videos and articles. This actually looks promising.

In the end let’s all enjoy the game!

Last edited:
The proof is in the pudding. The metacritic score and other major reviews are overwhelmingly positive with said bugs you mentioned. It’s not often reviews from various places line up like that. Especially this day and age where everyone likes to complain and have clickbait videos and articles. This actually looks promising.

Plus you got a ps5 version. What is your stake? Many of us will buy PC given the choice regardless. And I have a ps5, still chose the pc version.

And on PC we get an earlier launch, so we get the opportunity to be the first to complain! Woo PC master race!

Plus you got a ps5 version. What is your stake? Many of us will buy PC given the choice regardless. And I have a ps5, still chose the pc version.

what? i bought the pc version.

Back