Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

Wait this isn’t a joke?

as FromSoft's biggest fanboy I was going to start it immediately after it unlocked but I need to also do a reformat as once I start the game I'm not going to stop for a few weeks at least (multiple playthroughs)...the reports of performance issues don't bother me but I really wish the ray-tracing patch was available on Day 1

*my sig is my old system...I currently have a 5800X and EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Last edited:
as FromSoft's biggest fanboy I was going to start it immediately after it unlocked but I need to also do a reformat as once I start the game I'm not going to stop for a few weeks at least (multiple playthroughs)...the reports of performance issues don't bother me but I really wish the ray-tracing patch was available on Day 1
i want to see what their ray tracing implementation looks like. i'm not very eager to find out what their idea of acceptable performance is w/ RT though..

How does a game with no ultrawide support, this many technical issues coupled with unoptimized last gen engine get 95% average PC rating on metacritic. I am sure it has amazing gameplay, but if people with 3080 cards have better experience on PS5 - shouldn't the PC review score reflect these issues?
Bloodborn received huge ratings and goodwill and that game's performance was so bad that it was nigh unplayable.

i want to see what their ray tracing implementation looks like. i'm not very eager to find out what their idea of acceptable performance is w/ RT though..
I have a feeling it will be for AO/shadows and probably water reflections. But I wouldn't expect anything fancier than that.

However, some good/correct looking AO and enhanced shadows should add a lot to the overall visual impression.

I have a feeling it will be for AO/shadows and probably water reflections. But I wouldn't expect anything fancier than that.

However, some good/correct looking AO and enhanced shadows should add a lot to the overall visual impression.
oh yeah, most definitely. just shadows alone could significantly add to the game, especially as the current shadow implementation is supposedly not great as far as lod, draw distance and shadow pop-in.

agreed...it definitely won't be global illumination

*my sig is my old system...I currently have a 5800X and EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra
Reformatting for a reason? I didn't know reformatting was still a thing in this day and age.

Reactions: w35t
like this
Reformatting for a reason? I didn't know reformatting was still a thing in this day and age.

I still do it maybe twice a year...I used to go crazy back in the Windows 7 days by using that wipe tool that did like 12 passes

it's definitely not the practically required maintenance it once was, but i still do it, yeah. admittedly for me it's an OCD thing more than anything, but i have run into problems from time to time (sometimes from my own doing :p ) that really did require a reformat because i could not figure out how to undo something, like disabling HPET in windows for some game that turned into a trainwreck i could not fix.

but hey if someone's happy with a 4 year old install of windows 10 or whatever the case may be, more power to ya.

I haven't intentionally formatted a hard drive in years. With programs like Macrium Reflect, I just make image backups every couple weeks. I recently had to format one when my stupid BIOS/TPM chip thought my Windows account was invalid. Even my images didn't work, which is a first. After spending a whole day restoring my programs by hand, I ran 3DMark for the hell of it. My score was for all practical purposes (within 50 points give/take) identical. Make image backups and keep a copy of your "My Documents" folder just in case. That has been my MO for a while.

Elden Ring performance: what to expect on PS5, Series X/S and PC

As it currently stands the PC version using the latest 1.02 patch has a number of issues that will affect all hardware configurations on all graphical settings presets. Elden Ring is From Software's first foray into low-level APIs on PC and the game uses DirectX 12. As we have seen in other DX12 titles, there can be severe and distracting frame-time stuttering issues

First there are stutters of up to 250 milliseconds in length when new effects, enemies, and areas appear on screen. These types of stutter lessen as the play experience goes on and enemies, areas, and effects are revisited by the player. A second and more pervasive stutter appears to be tied to loading new game areas - when traversing the terrain, moving from one area to the next can cause minor one-off frame drops a few times a minute, or at worst, tumbling frame-time issues that drop the frame-rate from a steady 60 into the 40s

Variable refresh rate monitors using G-Sync or Freesync help alleviate a level of the distracting nature of some of these issues, but leaning on the technology is not a good situation in light of how the console versions do not suffer from these stutters...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...2-24-elden-ring-performance-first-impressions
I read the whole article. Seems that performance is still very similar to the network test. So.....lots of dips on all consoles. PC version has extra stutters and pauses not present on console. PS5 running PS4 version in backwards compatibility is for some reason quite smooth. Albeit, it does average an overall lower resolution (1800p reconstructed), and has paired back settings for object density, such as grass.

I still do it maybe twice a year...I used to go crazy back in the Windows 7 days by using that wipe tool that did like 12 passes
I use to do a format once a year but I don't care anymore. I see no reason to under windows 10 or 11.

acg saying the recent patch actually made the game worse

Elden Ring's day-one patch fixed the worst stuttering issues but some persist

https://www.pcgamer.com/elden-ring-stuttering-day-one-patch/

Bloomberg’s Jason Schreier, who’s clocked 35 hours, made note of a handful of crashes, though said he still preferred playing the PC version over the PS5 one...few if any folks have categorized these issues as entirely game-breaking, or described Elden Ring’s PC version as fundamentally unplayable...this does not seem to be another Cyberpunk 2077

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1496502556922679296

Elden Ring's day-one patch fixed the worst stuttering issues but some persist

https://www.pcgamer.com/elden-ring-stuttering-day-one-patch/

Bloomberg’s Jason Schreier, who’s clocked 35 hours, made note of a handful of crashes, though said he still preferred playing the PC version over the PS5 one...few if any folks have categorized these issues as entirely game-breaking, or described Elden Ring’s PC version as fundamentally unplayable...this does not seem to be another Cyberpunk 2077
we shall see in a few hours. i promise to give you guys a thorough rundown of how it goes for me on the system in my sig.

if i'm hitching bad on a 3090 i'm going to be like "fuck you fromsoftware"
...and then still keep playing, and complaining, and playing, and complaining.
that's exactly why i care so much about how it runs... i know the game's going to be amazing, so to me technical issues are hyper amplified because they're getting in the way of that experience. i don't care so much when it's a game i was mildly curious about that i picked up during a sale for five bucks. this is different.

Man none of my gamestops close to me are doing late night sales for this so I broke down and ordered from Playstation store so I could play right at 11:00 CST

another great quote about the game, this time from Bloomberg’s Jason Schreier: "Elden Ring is, frankly, a masterpiece—a triumph of interactive design that will make anyone who can appreciate a good game forget that 'Winds of Winter' feels like it’s never actually going to come out"

How does a game with no ultrawide support, this many technical issues coupled with unoptimized last gen engine get 95% average PC rating on metacritic. I am sure it has amazing gameplay, but if people with 3080 cards have better experience on PS5 - shouldn't the PC review score reflect these issues?
Bloodborne ran at 25-30 fps, with unsteady frametimes and occasional stuttering, including excessive CA (chromatic aberration) which smeared the image in some places so badly it looked like 720p.
Oh and I won't hesistate to call it a 10/10 masterpiece.

I guess my question is....if you are FromSoftware, how can you launch the game knowing this is going on and not address it for what it is upfront?
It looks like their engine isn't ideal for open worlds, constantly trying to stream assets/levels in an inefficient way. Switching to a different engine or re-writing massive portions of their engine code may have been out of the question in the middle of development.

1645739705026.png

Bloodborne ran at 25-30 fps, with unsteady frametimes and occasional stuttering, including excessive CA (chromatic aberration) which smeared the image in some places so badly it looked like 720p.
you make a very good point... i would also rate bloodborne a masterpiece despite the performance. it really comes down to how significant any problems actually *feel* while playing. strangely enough, i think with bloodborne it was so consistently erratic (does that even make sense?) that it was somehow possible to mostly ignore. however with a perfectly smooth 60 fps turning into hitching it might not be the same story. just can't say for sure without trying it yet.

If I were to give Bloodborne a serious, numbered, review I’d probably go down to a 9-9.5 out of 10 due to the performance issues. Then I’d spend time justifying how damn good the game is and how much I recommend it despite those problems.

It looks like their engine isn't ideal for open worlds, constantly trying to stream assets/levels in an inefficient way. Switching to a different engine or re-writing massive portions of their engine code may have been out of the question in the middle of development.

Does seem that way. I’d be super interested in seeing what FS could do with something like UE4 or 5.

You all in? Steam on my end still saying not yet released

Edit: nm unpacking now 0.0

Edit2: Oh great another 45gb to download? WTF, guess I won't be playing much tonight

Last edited:
You all in? Steam on my end still saying not yet released
Same here. No go, can't launch the game.

*edit - 2 mins later and it is yet again unpacknig files. I believe it downloaded another small patch? Guess I will see soon.

I got a weird little mini-update (I already had the one from this morning) a few minutes ago. Just after the hour, but before the unlock started.

my 24% off code from greenmangaming isn't working. their email says it should work for another hour.

man i'm watching CohhCarnage's stream of the pc version (i want to avoid spoilers, but i also want to see how it's running) and he's fighting a boss and literally 3-4 second long stutters, and dying from it. minor very standard boss though for those not wanting to spoil anything crazy.

edit: obviously a boss spoiler (idk if it's one from the network test or not) but clip to see how bad it is...

Looks like a genre re-defining game of the century masterpiece to me. 97/100!

Back