Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

So I'm gonna be honest. I could not get into Dark Souls, like, at all. Janky as fuck combat and respawning enemies just pissed me off.

Would I like this game, or is it more of the same?

So I'm gonna be honest. I could not get into Dark Souls, like, at all. Janky as fuck combat and respawning enemies just pissed me off.

Do you mean Dark Souls 1? or have you played Dark Souls 3?

between 1 and 3, there is quite a bit of refinement ( not just 2 dark souls games later. But Bloodborne was also in there). 3 feels quite a bit better, compared to 1. However, it is overall, largely similar.

Elden Ring sort of vaguely combines ideas from Bloodborne, Sekiro, and Dark Souls. and sets in a larger sort of open world.

I have avoided looking at much of it. so I can't really dissect it yet. But I would say the base gameplay will be quite similar to Dark Souls. However, certain aspects will occasionally be a fair departure from Dark Souls. Even ignoring the open world aspect and traversal options (you have a mount. You have a more typical jump, etc.).

but with the open world, you also have a lot more freedom about where you go and what enemies you choose to engage with. There is a much larger aspect of exploration and making your own sort of way. Whereas Dark Souls games typically funnel you deliberately along set pathways. and you don't really have much choice for what enemies you engage, from which direction, etc. Elden Ring mixes that up a whole lot. Or so I have very passively heard.

Do you mean Dark Souls 1? or have you played Dark Souls 3?

between 1 and 3, there is quite a bit of refinement ( not just 2 dark souls games later. But Bloodborne was also in there). 3 feels quite a bit better, compared to 1. However, it is overall, largely similar.

Elden Ring sort of vaguely combines ideas from Bloodborne, Sekiro, and Dark Souls. and sets in a larger sort of open world.

I have avoided looking at much of it. so I can't really dissect it yet. But I would say the base gameplay will be quite similar to Dark Souls. However, certain aspects will occasionally be a fair departure from Dark Souls. Even ignoring the open world aspect and traversal options (you have a mount. You have a more typical jump, etc.).

but with the open world, you also have a lot more freedom about where you go and what enemies you choose to engage with. There is a much larger aspect of exploration and making your own sort of way. Whereas Dark Souls games typically funnel you deliberately along set pathways. and you don't really have much choice one what enemies you engage, from which direction, etc. Elden Ring mixes that up a whole lot. Or so I have very passively heard.

Pretty much just DS1. I do have DS3 so maybe I will give that a shot sometime, but DS1 I tried multiple times to get into and played for hours, I just couldn't stand it after awhile.

And specifically about the respawning:

1. Dark Souls 2 actually limits the amount of respawns for most enemies

2. the respawning enemies thing is largely an early - mid-game hurdle, for a new player. Eventually, you click into the gameplay, learn a few things about things, and get some better gear. When that all comes together----you can survive large sections of the game. And it can often feel pretty heroing and rewarding.

But, I do understand that the overall combat and control style are an acquired taste. However....Dark Souls 3 sold over 10 million. So...it seems to be a flavor which is gaining fans.

Elden Ring is much more accessible to various players and their level of skill...I want the ultimate challenge and like to fight all enemies solo...but you can use summons or if you find a boss too difficult just ride away and come back later...because of the open world it's much easier in Elden Ring to play the game your way versus being forced to farm or fight a difficult enemy over and over

Dark Souls 1 is not the best introduction to the series for new players...very high learning curve...DS2 and DS3 are much 'easier' for newcomers

And specifically about the respawning:

1. Dark Souls 2 actually limits the amount of respawns for most enemies

2. the respawning enemies thing is largely an early - mid-game hurdle, for a new player. Eventually, you click into the gameplay, learn a few things about things, and get some better gear. When that all comes together----you can survive large sections of the game. And it can often feel pretty heroing and rewarding.

But, I do understand that the overall combat and control style are an acquired taste. However....Dark Souls 3 sold over 10 million. So...it seems to be a flavor which is gaining fans.
Yeah I'm not saying DS is a bad game or series, for sure, obviously people like it. It just doesn't do it for me, or at least historically it has not.

Elden Ring is much more accessible to various players and their level of skill...I want the ultimate challenge and like to fight all enemies solo...but you can use summons or if you find a boss too difficult just ride away and come back later...because of the open world it's much easier in Elden Ring to find the path that suits you best
Yeah, that makes me consider picking it up to see if it's any more my style. It does look good.

there are at least a couple of reviewers with 3080s who specifically said they moved to the ps5 version after getting frustrated with the pc version and found it a vastly better experience, even if still imperfect..
Ok.

But, it still stands, the PS5 version has performance issues. I'm just trying to say that this is not a situation where console got perfection and PC got shit. (pre-release code of) the game, has issues everywhere. Actually, Elden Ring is one of the very few PS5 games where the performance mode doesn't basically stick to 60fps 99% of the time. I mean, it really points to issues in their tools and ability to code an engine. In contrast, Nioh 2 runs over 100fps average, on PS5.

PC is a situation where there are thousands of hardware combinations which can be used and still be considered within minimum spec for Elden Ring. Its fairly natural that there are going to be reports of bugs which might be more detrimental to the experience, than a port of the game on a static spec of hardware.
Even considering all of the consoles its on....its still only 7 sets of hardware. Split roughtly in half, for 2 different generations. And each generation's sets of hardware are all based on the same core technology.

But as I said before. I really wish that From had ever invited some outside talent to come and workshop with their core team. Their games would be a lot better for it, if they had ever done that.

Last edited:
Ok.

But, it still stands, the PS5 version has performance issues. I'm just trying to say that this is not a situation where console got perfection and PC got shit. (pre-release code of) the game, has issues everywhere. Hello, Elden Ring is one of the very few PS5 games where the performance mode doesn't basically stick to 60fps 99% of the time. I mean, it really points to issues in their tools and ability to code an engine. In contrast, Nioh 2 runs over 100fps average, on PS5.

PC is a situation where there are thousands of hardware combinations which can be used and still be considered within minimum spec for Elden Ring. Its fairly natural that there are going to be reports of bugs which might be more detrimental to the experience, than a port of the game on a static spec of hardware.
Even considering all of the consoles its on....its still only 7 sets of hardware. Split roughtly in half, for 2 different generations. And each generation's sets of hardware are all based on the same core technology.

But as I said before. I really wish that From had ever invited some outside talent to come and workshop with their core team. Their games would be a lot better for it, if they had ever done that.

Seems like they're doing all right without it. How much better could reviews possibly be?

Elden Ring performance: what to expect on PS5, Series X/S and PC

As it currently stands the PC version using the latest 1.02 patch has a number of issues that will affect all hardware configurations on all graphical settings presets. Elden Ring is From Software's first foray into low-level APIs on PC and the game uses DirectX 12. As we have seen in other DX12 titles, there can be severe and distracting frame-time stuttering issues

First there are stutters of up to 250 milliseconds in length when new effects, enemies, and areas appear on screen. These types of stutter lessen as the play experience goes on and enemies, areas, and effects are revisited by the player. A second and more pervasive stutter appears to be tied to loading new game areas - when traversing the terrain, moving from one area to the next can cause minor one-off frame drops a few times a minute, or at worst, tumbling frame-time issues that drop the frame-rate from a steady 60 into the 40s

Variable refresh rate monitors using G-Sync or Freesync help alleviate a level of the distracting nature of some of these issues, but leaning on the technology is not a good situation in light of how the console versions do not suffer from these stutters...

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...2-24-elden-ring-performance-first-impressions

Sooo is this a sequel to the Souls games? I'm not caught up on the story if that would at all matter.

I played thru and beat Sekiro, so I was kinda hoping Elden Ring is a separate/standalone story like that.

Variable refresh rate monitors using G-Sync or Freesync help alleviate a level of the distracting nature of some of these issues, but leaning on the technology is not a good situation in light of how the console versions do not suffer from these stutters...
gonna nitpick what they said here about VRR displays... they do NOT in any way alleviate the appearance of stuttering and frame pacing issues like this. in fact, i would argue they only make them stand out MORE than on a regular non-VRR display because you're constantly going from perfect framepacing to stutters. with a non-VRR display you've already got erratic framepacing (mainly if not locked exactly at 30/60/120.) just one of those misconceptions i see quite a bit. where they DO help is when framerates dip below the display's current maximum Hz but that's different from framepacing/stuttering issues. and i say this as someone who has been exclusively using VRR since like 2013 or whatever year that Gsync monitors first came out.

and we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread. :D

I am going to wait to hear about performance. I am still rocking a 6 core 4930K and a 1017ti with 16 gigs of ram.

other quote from that Eurogamer (DF) article:

As we have seen with other titles suffering from similar issues such as Final Fantasy 7 Remake and Halo Infinite, it could be sensible to wait for further patches before investing time into the PC version of Elden Ring.

:(

yeah yeah i know, it's such a great game, who cares about pc performance, stuttering and low fps doesn't matter at all! all hail from software.

edit: oh i didn't realize the Eurogamer article is really a DF one. well bummer i tried to save $10 buying from GMG, no refunds for me.

Last edited:
Sooo is this a sequel to the Souls games? I'm not caught up on the story if that would at all matter.

I played thru and beat Sekiro, so I was kinda hoping Elden Ring is a separate/standalone story like that.

It's a new separate story! I think stylistically it just resembles the Souls games most.

The core worldbuilding is written by George R. R. Martin. He gave From Software a manuscript and they used that as the base on which the rest of the game and lore were made.

man i'm watching CohhCarnage's stream of the pc version (i want to avoid spoilers, but i also want to see how it's running) and he's fighting a boss and literally 3-4 second long stutters, and dying from it. minor very standard boss though for those not wanting to spoil anything crazy.

edit: obviously a boss spoiler (idk if it's one from the network test or not) but clip to see how bad it is...

Last edited:
I'm going to reformat my computer later today so I might not be able to start Elden Ring tonight...

Only takes about 5 hour or so unless you have about 80 games installed have all the necessary exe files in one folder so formatting is pretty quick. The only problem I have is those darn Epic games when I fresh install those take me a good day or so to move the exe files around.

Last edited:
I'm going to reformat my computer later today so I might not be able to start Elden Ring tonight...
on my 1g/1g fiber i can reinstall windows, get all current updates and download a few games in around 90 minutes :D most of that being game download time. just the windows install and updating probably takes less than 45 minutes

on my 1g/1g fiber i can reinstall windows, get all current updates and download a few games in around 90 minutes :D most of that being game download time. just the windows install and updating probably takes less than 45 minutes

reformatting is fast...re-installing all my drivers, programs, games, Windows tweaks etc is what takes time...I re-install everything from scratch

reformatting is fast...re-installing all my drivers, programs, games, Windows tweaks etc is what takes time...I re-install everything from scratch
yeah i know exactly what you mean, that's what i do as well. you can do it that fast if you're familiar enough with the process. but obviously if your internet isn't that great, downloading hundreds of GBs of games is really the longest part by far..

man i'm watching CohhCarnage's stream of the pc version (i want to avoid spoilers, but i also want to see how it's running) and he's fighting a boss and literally 3-4 second long stutters, and dying from it. minor very standard boss though for those not wanting to spoil anything crazy.

edit: obviously a boss spoiler (idk if it's one from the network test or not) but clip to see how bad it is...

Fuuuck, this is bad lol

Fuuuck, this is bad lol
to be fair he was playing with reasonably smooth gameplay prior to that clip (still many microstutters, but nothing this bad.) but it's my opinion that we should take moments like this into account because it's clearly going to have an impact on actual gameplay sometimes.

You don't have to re-download your games, for most launchers. Keep your games on a separate drive and its real easy to point Steam at it and most other launchers. If you don't have an extra drive, reseting Windows with the option to keep your data, keeps all of your game data.

If you are worried about the file integrity of a particular game, you can have Steam verify the files. Or you can just delete and re-download, if you really want to.

You don't have to re-download your games, for most launchers. Keep your games on a separate drive and its real easy to point Steam at it and most other launchers. If you don't have an extra drive, reseting Windows with the option to keep your data, keeps all of your game data.

If you are worried about the file integrity of a particular game, you can have Steam verify the files. Or you can just delete and re-download, if you really want to.
that's true, i just do it out of an obsessive compulsive need to know that everything is truly "fresh" lol.

other quote from that Eurogamer (DF) article:

:(

yeah yeah i know, it's such a great game, who cares about pc performance, stuttering and low fps doesn't matter at all! all hail from software.

edit: oh i didn't realize the Eurogamer article is really a DF one. well bummer i tried to save $10 buying from GMG, no refunds for me.

If this game runs like Halo Infinite we’ll be just fine lol.

to be fair he was playing with reasonably smooth gameplay prior to that clip (still many microstutters, but nothing this bad.) but it's my opinion that we should take moments like this into account because it's clearly going to have an impact on actual gameplay sometimes.
I guess my question is....if you are FromSoftware, how can you launch the game knowing this is going on and not address it for what it is upfront? Bask in our 9 and 10 reviews while a large portion of our population suffers, waiting for a real fix. The real question is, who will fix this first? FromSoftware, or the modding community?

I guess my question is....if you are FromSoftware, how can you launch the game knowing this is going on and not address it for what it is upfront? Bask in our 9 and 10 reviews while a large portion of our population suffers, waiting for a real fix. The real question is, who will fix this first? FromSoftware, or the modding community?
it's a hard question to answer because it happens a lot. i think it just boils down to what happens when a development team lacks the talent and experience with what's required to make a pc port perform acceptably... they just kinda release what they have and hope customers are happy enough with it. some developers are very, very good at the technical aspects of game design and refuse to release something that doesn't perform perfectly or near-perfectly (like Naughty Dog or Sucker Punch for example.) others have a track record with problems (Bethesda, From, Creative Assembly) likely because the talent (human makeup of the team) doesn't change very often at the top level.

yeah i know exactly what you mean, that's what i do as well. you can do it that fast if you're familiar enough with the process. but obviously if your internet isn't that great, downloading hundreds of GBs of games is really the longest part by far..

yup, I wouldn't do frequent reformats if I didn't have a fast internet connection (Verizon FiOS 100/100)

Back