Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

Yeah no, 60fps is not acceptable. From fans can spin it any way they want, but it's such a letdown.
It's definitely not ideal but hardly a letdown. From games have always been console and fixed-frame rate first.
Personally I just play these games on a Playstation{3,4,5} instead of a PC which also prevents hackers from corrupting saves.

It's definitely not ideal but hardly a letdown. From games have always been console and fixed-frame rate first.
Personally I just play these games on a Playstation{3,4,5} instead of a PC which also prevents hackers from corrupting saves.
Make backups or play without signing in. There are programs that will automatically backup your save at a defined interval.

spoken like someone who hasn't experienced high FPS.

The only titles I can stand under 60 (prefer 144) are RTS games.

High FPS fighting games are amazing, so I don't agree with you at all.

I have 240hz monitor and the ability to push it for the games that need it. For the games that do need high FPS 120 or 144 is not even high. This game however won't need it.

I have 240hz monitor and the ability to push it for the games that need it. For the games that do need high FPS 120 or 144 is not even high. This game however won't need it.
In your opinion.

Its amazing you can run with high hz and then say it doesn't matter, I notice the lack of frame and it drives me nuts.

I had someone corrupt my DkS3 save while in the the Ringed City and it was annoying at first and then actually a problem later because it set a flag on a boss and glitched the game. I was able to use a third party tool to save the game and character but it was absolutely not something that should have been able to happen and I was a little bit upset given that I'd put in 100 hours or so into that playthrough at the time.

In your opinion.

Its amazing you can run with high hz and then say it doesn't matter, I notice the lack of frame and it drives me nuts.

It really depends on the game. I play a lot of twitch shooters like Quake Doom and Overwatch so for those I want 240hz 240fps. On the other hand I play a lot of games like Street Fighter where the engine itself is locked to 60fps and the combos/links are all frame based off the engine so 60/60 is ideal and anything else is bad. I've got an ultrawide as well that does 144/165hz and there are some games that are better on that and don't need 240hz, I'd place Hunt squarely in that bracket along with some coop shooters. And then there are other games like side scrollers where 60hz is just fine as well because of how the animation works. For RPGs like this especially JRPGs which are built a certain way 60/60 is fine and even less can be.

Much along the same lines I have KBM, fight sticks, gamepads, open and closed back headphones, they are all good for different things.

I don't really get "jarring" from going from playing Quake 1v1 at 240hz, to a beatemup with a friend at 60hz, to some odd Japanese game that might be below 60fps. Now if I did that with Quake all in one I would.

In your opinion.

I am thankful I am just a simple gamer. I couldn't ever tell you when I drop a few frames and it doesn't jar me out of the game if I see some minor graphical glitch like tesselation or "jaggies" or tearing. I just play the game and enjoy it for what it is. Regardless if Elden Ring is 30 fps or 1000 I will be taking a day off from work and playing this game like it was my last and loving every minute.

Just curious, how hard is it from technical perspective to unlock FPS to whatever hardware is capable of? On the surface it seems like this could be trivial and easily resolved via future update? And if it is trivial, why are some developers set on implementing this artificial limitation?

Just curious, how hard is it from technical perspective to unlock FPS to whatever hardware is capable of? On the surface it seems like this could be trivial and easily resolved via future update? And if it is trivial, why are some developers set on implementing this artificial limitation?
It's not trivial at all.

FPS limits are due to how all the game engine threads are being synchronized. The higher the cap, the harder and more inaccurate it can possibly become. As hardware performance has increased, so has the precision, but you still have to be as accurate as possible to provide a good game experience. Game engines have also gotten vastly more complex over the years. Even games that have an "unlimited" cap have a hard cap in the engine. Forza, for example is limited to 360 FPS. Source Engine is limited to 200 FPS. In my amateur work I've tried to code for a truly unlimited framerate, but no matter how I adjusted the math everything would progressively break faster and faster as FPS climbed over 500.

In a game like this where you want the battle system to be as precise and fair as possible, the easiest way to do it is to put a hard cap on the framerate. That way you know precisely when everything will be updated.

Probably getting it first on PS5 for online community, then double dip on pc when something like convergence mod is out.

After watching a few streams of the network test, really seems like it's going to be pinnacle FROMSoft. A massive Souls game with tons of tweaks and QoL changes that build on previous titles.

- Some magic/spells parryable with shield, redirects back to caster
- unlockable Bloodborne type "quickstep"
- Streamlined PvP system, fights seem more fun rather than fighting trolls and gotcha mechanics, easier to co-op, can disable PvP without going offline (unsure if it makes it into final game), anti-ganksquad mechanic that lets invader disappear and respawn closeby
- Jumping attacks
- Sekiro style stealth mechanic / sneaking in bushes
- Customizable and infusible weapon art (special moves) - example a club/hammer smash into ground that's first a gravity vacuum and pulls enemies toward you, then explodes. Can combine multiple effects and swap then in and out modularly
- One-shot finishing moves in some scenarios, like knocking enemy off horse (or enemy knocks you off and OHK's you)

Tons of other "damn, that's cool" stuff in the game, the trailers really don't convey them, nor how massive the map will be. Wasn't sure what to think after the early trailers, but FROM appears to have outdone themselves.

Last edited:
Digital Foundry says that From Software confirmed with them that some form of ray tracing will be added in an upcoming patch to the game.

No additional details.

kinda disappointing you can't get a locked 60 fps on PS5 or Series X.. i mean i'll be playing on PC anyway, but still. from's strong suite is obviously not technology or performance

kinda disappointing you can't get a locked 60 fps on PS5 or Series X.. i mean i'll be playing on PC anyway, but still. from's strong suite is obviously not technology or performance

They can tweak the dynamic resolution scaling to get a more stable frame rate leading up to release, but I doubt it. Except for Scholar of the First Sin on XB1/PS4 performance has always been terrible with From games on consoles going back to the original PlayStation days. Even DS Remastered suffers in places with the console versions.

In your opinion.

Just because you can see the difference doesn't mean you can't live without it.

Just because you can see the difference doesn't mean you can't live without it.
Says the guy who complains about almost everything and puts games down all the time, and by that I mean you stop playing them.

Says the guy who complains about almost everything and puts games down all the time, and by that I mean you stop playing them.
What does frame rate have to do with what games someone plays? Is it not enough for you to like a game, you need everybody else to like it too? Is egoist the right word for that? No, that's for the people who accuse me that I'm deliberately faking liking games they dislike just to upset them.

What does frame rate have to do with what games someone plays? Is it not enough for you to like a game, you need everybody else to like it too? Is egoist the right word for that? No, that's for the people who accuse me that I'm deliberately faking liking games they dislike just to upset them.
the-point-over-your-head.gif

Need it broken down: You complain about a lot of games, AC especially, you hate ALOT of games, and feel the need to constantly remind people of that. Yet when someone else says something you don't like or agree with, such as I can't stand low frame rates, suddenly you take umbrage because its something that can be lived with. Well Geralt can be lived with as a protagonist as well.

From Software’s Hidetaka Miyazaki is building Elden Ring to be his “ideal game world”, but that doesn’t mean he’s actually going to play it...a new interview with the Soulsborne creator reveals that he has a “personal policy” of not playing his own creations – alongside a host of additional insight into the upcoming open-world game...

https://www.pcgamesn.com/elden-ring/hidetaka-miyazaki

One of the big problems with their character creators----is that they have never been lit the same as the actual game. So you spend a bunch of time tweaking hair color and skin tone and then.....you get in the game and its all a lot different. Usually more saturated and more bloomy.

I don't play FF14. But I did mess around with the character creator and it actually lets you put the character into various environments which are dressed and lit like the game.

Newly leaked Elden Ring gameplay shows a powerful NPC not seen in the game's network test, apparently dubbed Crucible Knight Floh...obviously don't watch if you don't want to see any new gameplay...

Reactions: DPI
like this
Newly leaked Elden Ring gameplay shows a powerful NPC not seen in the game's network test, apparently dubbed Crucible Knight Floh...obviously don't watch if you don't want to see any new gameplay...

This NPC is hacking

you need to buy both...February is going to be epic for gamers!

After what happened to both BF 2042 and just this week Rainbow Six Extration I won't preorder anything unless I know for a fact its gud. Refunded both of the mentioned games. Midnight Suns and Suicide Squad might be good. There is no way From is screwing this game up.

The release of this should coincide with me finishing up my first play though of The Witcher 3. Think I’ll buy this, it looks great. I have not played any From Software titles though, does anyone know of anything I should watch/read to get caught up with the lore? Or is this pretty much standalone? Or maybe we don’t know enough at this point to answer these questions…

Last edited:
The release of this should coincide with me finishing up my first play though of The Witcher 3. Think I’ll buy this, it looks great. I have not played any From Software titles though, does anyone know of anything I should watch/read to get co-sign up with the lore? Or is this pretty much standalone? Or maybe we don’t know enough at this point to answer these questions…
Elden Ring is a brand new IP. The lore, world, characters, all of it are brand new. It is completely un-related to Dark Souls. Even though the visuals and some aspects of the gameplay are similar.

They have use the word "ring" in the titles for some of their older games. Such as "Eternal Ring" on PS2. However, this is not connected at all.

The base information for the lore and world building in Elden Ring, were written by George R.R. Martin. It is original material. Not adapted from one of his books.

Last edited:
Elden Ring has gone Gold!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not watching any more footage but they did release a new video today...

Elden Ring- Taipei Game Show 2022

Back