Elden Ring (From Software RPG)

Before fighting the main story bosses, I recommend exploring and uncovering the map (there are markers where to find the map pieces), getting runes while exploring, and leveling up as soon as you get enough runes to level. If you level up as soon as you have enough runes to do so, then you have nothing to lose when you die. If you're not super serious about going in blind, I recommend finding some YouTube videos that provide info for early leveling. I watched a few YouTube videos to get me started with a good weapon, Flask of Wonderous Physik, and the seeds for more healing. If you play around in the world before hitting the story bosses, you'll be able to smash 'em. I fought all of the story or shard bearer bosses and I only had trouble with Malenia and the final boss, final boss was easier than Malenia; some of the optional dungeon bosses are more difficult than the story bosses!

Anyway, back in my day we had guide books for games back before quest journals, chatty NPCs, and quest markers were invented, so I don't feel guilty about using online resources to learn more about the game while playing it.
Thanks, I have been watching stuff on youtube, it was guide showed where all good stuff was and showing me where everything is and what not,

I already killed few bosses / mini bosses if they call them that in this game. , i am reaching point where it test my will lol per say.

I remember guide books and such, i grew up in time where Command and Conquer and WArcraft 1/2 were amazingly big and cant forget starcraft 1 lol

https://twitter.com/ELDENRING/status/1630478058103734274

1677585967381.png

Maybe they’ll do RT like 10 years later like TW3 or something. Personally I could care less about RT, 4k60 with HDR runs and looks delightful and my 3080 has no issue keeping up. ER is the last game that needs performance issues injected into it, which would likely be the case.

I was hoping with how long the announcement came that it would just be a surprise release but alas, no mention of when at all :(

so let's say they release a trailer during Summer Game Fest on June 8th...so I'm guessing a release timeframe sometime in August/September...but are they really going to release both the Elden Ring expansion and Armored Core VI around the same time?...I said from the beginning that AC6 would not be released in 2023 as From Software almost always releases their games in Feb/March...so Elden Ring expansion in August and AC6 in February 2024?

or maybe the Elden Ring expansion in 2024?...rumors have always been that the expansion would be massive in size so it almost seems like a new game based on the long delay...either way it's From Software so it's a Day 1 buy but I wish they would have released more details today

I'm fine with how Elden Ring looks and runs right now. I won't say no to additional eye candy like RT, but I don't care if they bail on that idea.
I'm actually more curious about the difficulty. The DLC areas and bosses from the Souls games are notoriously brutal. On the other hand, Elden Ring is designed to be more approachable with summons being a HUGE part of the game. It'll be interesting to see what they throw at us.

It'll be interesting to see what they throw at us

I'm guessing the Miquella boss fight will be even harder than the Malenia one- with another BS move like the waterfowl dance...From Software DLC is always way harder than the base game- Manus, Black Dragon Kalameet, Burnt Ivory King, Fume Knight, Lud and Zallen, Sir Alonne, Sister Friede

rumor: From Software aims to release Armored Core VI in September/October, with a late-September release being most likely...it’s also being reported that Armored Core VI will arrive before the recently announced Elden Ring Shadow of the Erdtree expansion

I'm guessing the Miquella boss fight will be even harder than the Malenia one- with another BS move like the waterfowl dance...From Software DLC is always way harder than the base game- Manus, Black Dragon Kalameet, Burnt Ivory King, Fume Knight, Lud and Zallen, Sir Alonne, Sister Friede
they kinda have to by the time the DLC drops. people are so good at the game now anything less would be too easy.

I'm fine with how Elden Ring looks and runs right now. I won't say no to additional eye candy like RT, but I don't care if they bail on that idea.
I'm actually more curious about the difficulty. The DLC areas and bosses from the Souls games are notoriously brutal. On the other hand, Elden Ring is designed to be more approachable with summons being a HUGE part of the game. It'll be interesting to see what they throw at us.
But RT will add more difficult since it will increase system latency. ;)

2023 might be the first year where the GOTY might end up being an expansion/DLC...I'm expecting big things from both the Cyberpunk 2077 and Elden Ring expansions

Totally not surprised with the boss attempts. Tree Sentinel and Margit are New-to-Souls bait. Wonder how many lambs got to Margit then gave up?

Going to point out that Malenia and Sentinel are optional bosses.

I bet Malenia's domination doesn't tell the whole story. Due to being optional, I guarantee half the playerbase skipped her. So that means the other half died to her twice as much to make up for that fact. And that's being conservative. The truth is likely a 1/3rd or less of all players committed to Malenia then died to her 3x-10x more than the next boss.

I'd like to see discrete stats on the optional bosses. I personally died way too many times to Alecto, Black Knife Ringleader. Valiant Gargoyles seems to give a lot of players a tough time too.

Also, filter by co-op. Because let's face it co-op just makes the boss fights easier.

I bet Malenia's domination doesn't tell the whole story. Due to being optional, I guarantee half the playerbase skipped her. So that means the other half died to her twice as much to make up for that fact. And that's being conservative. The truth is likely a 1/3rd or less of all players committed to Malenia then died to her 3x-10x more than the next boss.

looking at the latest Steam stats it shows that 34.6% of players have beaten Malenia...I'm surprised it's that high but I'm guessing most of them used summons and/or co-op

Margit beat my ass so many times. Really tough for early melee on that area. Half the stuff after that seemed easy. Still only 60% or so through the game on my own though but havent played it in forever.

Also there is a full co-op mod you can get which is super fun but nowhere near as rewarding which is the whole point.

looking at the latest Steam stats it shows that 34.6% of players have beaten Malenia...I'm surprised it's that high but I'm guessing most of them used summons and/or co-op

I've found a lot of Steam statistics to be a little "off" so I wouldn't be surprised if that's not the case. Too often I'll get an achievement that supposedly 75% players also have, yet another one (that's a literal pre-requisite) will only have been acquired by 50%. I think people are scamming the system and only targeting specific awards.

Hmmmm. From ninja'd the RT patch out this morning. Can't say I really notice any differences at first glance, but I didn't have time to really dig in.

Looks like my build (White Mask + Raptor's Black Feathers + Lord of Blood's Exaltation) was very specifically nerfed :p
Can't say I'm surprised, but it does feel pretty deliberate to nail all 3 items at once. The Rivers of Blood got nailed earlier, too.
I'm still going to stick with it, though. Beyond being strong, I just liked rocking that setup.

Looks like my build (White Mask + Raptor's Black Feathers + Lord of Blood's Exaltation) was very specifically nerfed :p
Can't say I'm surprised, but it does feel pretty deliberate to nail all 3 items at once. The Rivers of Blood got nailed earlier, too.
I'm still going to stick with it, though. Beyond being strong, I just liked rocking that setup.
Those changes are only for PVP, though.

Those are some cool stats so From Soft records and keeps track of your Data. All the big wig games do that like Borderlands and MMOs.

Hmmmm. From ninja'd the RT patch out this morning. Can't say I really notice any differences at first glance, but I didn't have time to really dig in.

apparently the RT is very subtle but the performance hit is huge...it's only using RT shadows and AO so I guess I shouldn't be surprised

apparently the RT is very subtle but the performance hit is huge...it's only using RT shadows and AO so I guess I shouldn't be surprised
It's looking like Global Illumination with just shadows. So yeah, no fancy RT effects like reflections, light diffusion, etc.

Might be due to consoles getting the same RT treatment.

Maybe we'll see a DF video in the near future?

In some places it does look significantly better. In areas where the sun lights up an area that otherwise looks drab with traditional renderer. Not nearly as noticeable underground though.

gameplay is always the most important thing in any game but the visuals enhance the gameplay...so RT combined with amazing gameplay like in Elden Ring or Metro Exodus and it takes it to another level...a crappy game with RT won't make the game good...there are certain group of people who seem to hate RT most likely because they don't have a GPU that can handle it well (at least a 3000 series card)

it took 13 months for Elden Ring to get RT support!...geez...hopefully Atomic Heart won't take that long...and Jedi: Survivor will hopefully come with it on Day 1

gameplay is always the most important thing in any game but the visuals enhance the gameplay...so RT combined with amazing gameplay like in Elden Ring or Metro Exodus and it takes it to another level...there are certain group of people who seem to hate RT most likely because they don't have a GPU that can handle it well (at least a 3000 series card)

it took 13 months for Elden Ring to get RT support!...geez...hopefully Atomic Heart won't take that long...and Jedi: Survivor will hopefully come with it on Day 1
Well said. I don't get why people act like they're personally offended some of us can take advantage of a graphics option, but whatever gets them through the day I guess!

I've held off on elden ring waiting for RT so I can get the best experience possible. I'm boggled they didn't include DLSS though.

It's looking like Global Illumination with just shadows. So yeah, no fancy RT effects like reflections, light diffusion, etc.

Might be due to consoles getting the same RT treatment.

Maybe we'll see a DF video in the near future?

I read it only has RT shadows and AO...no RT global illumination...RT GI is the most significant RT feature so that would have been amazing but would have tanked performance

they should now re-name it to Elden Ring (with ray-tracing)- Prepare to Die GPU Edition :D

I read it only has RT shadows and AO...no RT global illumination...RT GI is the most significant RT feature so that would have been amazing but would have tanked performance

they should now re-name it to Elden Ring (with ray-tracing)- Prepare to Die GPU Edition :D
I am reading it adds support for ray traced ambient occlusion and raytraced shadows. No ray traced reflections.

So not full ray tracing by any means, which is bit disappointing as I waited for this update before I try the game. I suppose I should not be surprised given that this studio was never nowhere near the cutting edge of graphical fidelity.

Well, I was going by these screenshots (judging by my eyes and not some random on the internet):

RTX Off
policy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false.jpg

RTX On
policy=Letterbox&imcolor=%23000000&letterbox=false.jpg

There's more than just shadows and ambient occlusion going on there. There is some significant light tweaking, unless the user taking the screenshots doctored them?

Well, I was going by these screenshots (judging by my eyes and not some random on the internet)
There's more than just shadows and ambient occlusion going on there. There is some significant light tweaking, unless the user taking the screenshots doctored them?

Lance McDonald is not just some rando on the internet...he's a data miner and can see the code...he posted on March 3rd that the SteamDB for the game was being updated with RT AO and shadows...in the pic you posted it looks like the time of day changed between screenshots or the sun was in a different position and doesn't look like RT GI to me

Now that I look at it again, it's probably deception due to a large object (mountain? wall?) shadow cast behind the player. You can see shadows cast on objects in the distance even with RTX off. So probably the sun moved in between the user turning RTX on and off.

Anyway, that's why I said "It looks like..."

Now that I look at it again, it's probably deception due to a large object (mountain? wall?) shadow cast behind the player. You can see shadows cast on objects in the distance even with RTX off. So probably the sun moved in between the user turning RTX on and off.

Anyway, that's why I said "It looks like..."
Yeah, that's a time of day difference. Still, rtao is a nice addition. I just want dlss with it too.

Loaded this up again just to check out the RT and I am of the opinion that it's not worth it. I teleported to the lake facing grace site behind stormveil castle at dawn to check out the lighting and was just running around and I'd get from 40-60 fps at 4K HDR. It's playable but I really wouldn't want to play it with dips that large.

Back