Eizo FlexScan EV2736W

See my pics, there is almost no glow on the Qnix, the VP2770 I had was the same. At the time I assumed I had gotten used to the glow which is why I haven't noticed until comparing the Qnix to the AH-IPS P242W.

See my pics, there is almost no glow on the Qnix, the VP2770 I had was the same. At the time I assumed I had gotten used to the glow which is why I haven't noticed until comparing the Qnix to the AH-IPS P242W.

That is a pretty major difference there.

Has anyone run across any other IPS or PLS panels with as little glow as these 27" PLS models (not counting A-TW)?

I'm not sure if it's all 27" PLS models with low glow, as you stated the previous Samsung 27" PLS model still had glow (I think you said that, anyway), but there does seem to be something unusual going on -- coating, filter, panel revision... something.

Previous contact by myself with Eizo UK rep hints that the panel might be modified by Eizo. However the rep didn't want to go into detail over email and asked of me to call him for a detailed technical explanation. I however explained that I was not living in the UK and much prefered if he could send me the explanation via email. Sadly I did not get any reply to my request.

I just sent an email to Eizo asking about this, so maybe they will shed some light on the subject. Strangely they are very tight-lipped in emails, even about what panel is used, but I have found that if you speak to one of their tech people, they tend to spill the beans on some things. But not sure if they'd give any info on this, or even will followup with a tech person to call.

I believe one user, maybe it was SuperSnake, previously owned the NEC 2690, and said this compared pretty favorably as glow goes. I'd be interested to see a NEC 2490 owner compare them side by side. If somewhere local sold the Eizo with a good return policy, I'd compare them myself ... but nobody tends to sell these in stores.

Could someone please post some more information about the "PAPER MODE" of the EV2736.
Wondering if "paper mode" makes any difference, worth paying for the EV2736 if working with M$office applications ? Is it just catchy advertising or does it resemble Kindle Paperwhite in any sense (sure, different technologies, but how about ease on the eyes).
Would appreciate any info on the subject, especially if compared (text clarity, ease on the eyes) to VP2770.
Thnx

PS. read some reports about buzzing (which i absolutely detest), hope that's affecting individual units, not the whole batch.

Although I don't own this specific monitor, I did own a pair of smaller Eizos previously. I believe all the paper mode does is lower brightness, change contrast and alter colors a bit. You can achieve the same on any monitor, simply by adjusting its settings.

On the plus side, it's nice to have it preset, and you can swap modes using software/mouse if you wish.

But it's no biggie, to be honest. I used it a couple of times, but it's not like a kindle paperwhite or anything like that. I'd think it may be more useful for use in a second monitor, where you don't need blaring light just to keep an extra window or two open.

It is a bit easier on the eyes, but you may wish to check with Eizo if it lowers brightness below 20%, which would then mean PWM kicks in.... sort of defeating the purpose of trying to reduce eyestrain.

I just sent an email to Eizo asking about this, so maybe they will shed some light on the subject. Strangely they are very tight-lipped in emails, even about what panel is used, but I have found that if you speak to one of their tech people, they tend to spill the beans on some things. But not sure if they'd give any info on this, or even will followup with a tech person to call.

I believe one user, maybe it was SuperSnake, previously owned the NEC 2690, and said this compared pretty favorably as glow goes. I'd be interested to see a NEC 2490 owner compare them side by side. If somewhere local sold the Eizo with a good return policy, I'd compare them myself ... but nobody tends to sell these in stores.

You are welcome to post their answer here, if you get one. Both Supersnake and I are very pleased with the lack of glow on this display, he wrote about it in this post.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039867815&postcount=97

Could someone please post some more information about the "PAPER MODE" of the EV2736.
Wondering if "paper mode" makes any difference, worth paying for the EV2736 if working with M$office applications ? Is it just catchy advertising or does it resemble Kindle Paperwhite in any sense (sure, different technologies, but how about ease on the eyes).
Would appreciate any info on the subject, especially if compared (text clarity, ease on the eyes) to VP2770.
Thnx

PS. read some reports about buzzing (which i absolutely detest), hope that's affecting individual units, not the whole batch.

Im an owner of the EV2736 and always use "paper mode" when I browse the web or work in front of the computer. I have battled uvitis in my right eye for quite some time and recently got Posterior vitreous detachment as an "added bonus". So Im pretty sensitive and easily get intense pain, headache and stiff jaw/neck when infront of a display for a longer period. "paper mode" is the only mode I can use without having to use heavy painkillers and spend the next day resting in a dark room. The brightness is not below 20%, so you don't have to worry about PWM.

PS: No buzzing on my display ;)

You are welcome to post their answer here, if you get one. Both Supersnake and I are very pleased with the lack of glow on this display, he wrote about it in this post.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1039867815&postcount=97

They never replied back to me, or I would have. I also have asked them about the panels used in the 2133 and if the 2333 has a LUT, but never got a reply. I guess for consumer models they tend to be more tight-lipped, or figure it's not worth their time.

A while back when I had a question about a medical monitor, they replied in 2 days, and provided a manager's number to call with any questions. I guess they figured I was about to spend $2K+ on a monitor (which I wasn't).... so that was worth their time.

I believe NCX has stated that there are reports of some 2736s showing IPS glow. So now I wonder if it's a panel lottery, or revision, or some oddness like that going on.

They never replied back to me, or I would have. I also have asked them about the panels used in the 2133 and if the 2333 has a LUT, but never got a reply. I guess for consumer models they tend to be more tight-lipped, or figure it's not worth their time.

A while back when I had a question about a medical monitor, they replied in 2 days, and provided a manager's number to call with any questions. I guess they figured I was about to spend $2K+ on a monitor (which I wasn't).... so that was worth their time.

I believe NCX has stated that there are reports of some 2736s showing IPS glow. So now I wonder if it's a panel lottery, or revision, or some oddness like that going on.

First time I hear that there are reports of IPS glow on some 2736s. Opinion on Swedish forums resonate well with my own and Supersnake's experience. Maybe NCX can provide some links to the negative reports mentioned?

Is EV2736 much better than ViewSonic VP2770?
Eizo cost 200$ more in Europe.
I will be using it for gaming, watching movies, surfing and office work.
which one should i take?

I just got the EV2736 and am very happy with the quality control on this display.(I still have to calibrate and fiddle with the colors, so this post is more a quick impression regarding Eizo QC vs. other models) I have been through a bunch of displays before choosing the Eizo. Yes, I am picky, but I use my monitor for some photography related work, programming, as well as games, movies, web surfing, etc.

Previously, I had tried:

- Two U2713HM (Quality control was bad, lots of IPS glow on both which was highly visible in low light games, received one monitor which had a slightly crooked housing, both had dead/stuck pixels, etc),
- U2713H (Too much ips glow, stuck pixels, some other minor issues, didn't need wide gamut but just gave it a shot anyways)
- SA850 (I actually liked this monitor and used it for a year. I got lucky as it had minimal IPS glow and no bad pixels. The stand is pretty flimsy. Anyways, I got some pet hair behind the screen so I gave it to my wife who could care less. Bless my dog's heart, but he sheds like crazy :p)
- SB970 (The reflections were too much for me. I decided to stick with matte screens. Pricey.)
- VP2770 (Received it. Was excited due to positive reviews by NCX, but the screen had a 1 inch long deep scratch in the middle of the screen. Didn't bother turning it on and am returning it.)

The quality control on the EV2736W is a completely different story from these other models. Mine has no bad pixels from what I have checked so far, the fit and finish is excellent, the stand is very solid, and most importantly I have virtually no IPS glow! I tried a black screen and also started playing a little Amnesia for a quick look and it is superior in that regard compared to these other models. This is a first from any of the consumer monitors I have seen so far (we use Eizos at my work for medical imaging work).

I do have a tiny bit of blb on the top which i can live with. I pressed on the bezel at the top to confirm it was slight blb and not any kind of IPS glow. However, don't let that dissuade you if you are OK with the price of this monitor. More than likely I think you will receive something you are happy with as I have seen many Eizos. But of course, it's still best to purchase from a retailer that has good return/refund policy just in case. Overall, quality control wise, this has surpassed anything else I have used so far. Now on to the calibration and color settings... ;)

(Note: I didn't talk about the colors on these displays, either out of the box or after calibration because that info seems to be well-known on these forums as well as prad, tftcentral, NCX, etc)

I just got the EV2736 and am very happy with the quality control on this display.(I still have to calibrate and fiddle with the colors, so this post is more a quick impression regarding Eizo QC vs. other models) I have been through a bunch of displays before choosing the Eizo. Yes, I am picky, but I use my monitor for some photography related work, programming, as well as games, movies, web surfing, etc.

I am looking for my next monitor as well, how well do 1080p movies shown on 1440 res?

I am looking for my next monitor as well, how well do 1080p movies shown on 1440 res?

I have not had the chance to view movies on the EV2736 yet. Although I did watch the first two seasons of 'Game of Thrones' (1080p feed ) on my previous Samsung SA850 (which is 1440 res). I was pretty happy with the results considering if any up-scaling was taking place. Check out this related link, especially the last post by Trist-58:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/64238-3-1080p-video-2560x1440-display#.

It might alleviate any worries you have about going 1440 res. Personally, I could never go back to any other resolution.

I am going to try and obtain a colorimeter from my work. This would be my initial foray into the wonderful world of display calibration.

[H] members who are interested in an Eizo 2736 have been advised to purchase one from a source having a good return policy.
[FONT=&quot]
I have a business account with PCM[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. They are one of the largest business resellers, they also process individual sales. PCM is the entity that absorbed PC Mall and Mac Mall. [/FONT]

Most of you seem to drift to a lower priced monitor, for others the quality of a monitor takes precedence over price. I purchased an X-Rite i1 Display Pro for this monitor, the color was significantly improved after calibration. You can view a YouTube video of this calibrator in action.

[FONT=&quot]I have found PCM post sales service to be excellent. This PCM contact will honor a return for any defect what so ever, including a pixel anomaly or a missing pixel [/FONT][FONT=&quot](800) 555-6255 X55646.

Enjoy
[/FONT]

Last edited:
I have virtually no PLS glow!

Good, more confirmation, though it would be nice to have a few more confirmations. The lack of glow is a huge advantage for those who are not after a 1440p display with the lowest input lag (18ms signal delay measured by PRAD vs. BL2710PT 1ms and VP2770 7ms). However, if all of the EV2736W's are not glow free then I don't think it is worth 200$ more than the BL2710PT & VP2770 since both have slightly better overdrive (no overshoot ghosting), lower lag, similar color preset quality and USB 3 ports vs. the EV's USB 2.

According to this review
the EV2736W will work with consoles with a DVI-HDMI adapter.

Last edited:
Good, more confirmation, though it would be nice to have a few more confirmations. The lack of glow is a huge advantage for those who are not after a 1440p display with the lowest input lag (18ms signal delay measured by PRAD vs. BL2710PT 1ms and VP2770 7ms). However, if all of the EV2736W's are not glow free then I don't think it is worth 200$ more than the BL2710PT & VP2770 since both have slightly better overdrive (no overshoot ghosting), lower lag, similar color preset quality and USB 3 ports vs. the EV's USB 2.

According to this review
the EV2736W will work with consoles with a DVI-HDMI adapter.

Correct, I meant to say "PLS" glow in my post. ;) It is definitely at a minimum if even that.
Also, the info on the DVI-HDMI adapter is great! I have been looking for some confirmation on that.

However, the slight backlight bleed on the top of my screen is definitely noticeable in dark games. It's starting to bother me, but oh well, that's the inherent flaws of the technology. Falconetti and others did report no blb, so I am wondering if I should play the monitor lotto again? :confused:

So I am wondering if I should play the monitor lotto again? :confused:

No, return it and get a U2713HM instead...j/k. Tried turning the brightness down to around 40% (130cdm/2-ish)? It will seem dim at first, simply go do something else for 15 minutes, when you return it won't seem dim unless your room lighting is really bright. If that doesn't work exchange it.

No, return it and get a U2713HM instead...j/k. Tried turning the brightness down to around 40% (130cdm/2-ish)? It will seem dim at first, simply go do something else for 15 minutes, when you return it won't seem dim unless your room lighting is really bright. If that doesn't work exchange it.

Hehehe... The U2713HM, and likely other Dells, are in my rear-view...forever.

I failed to mention I was playing Amnesia in complete darkness. When I have my normal room lighting on the blb is not really visible. It's just when I am playing with the lights off it tends to bother.
I have it set at 35 brightness.

I have a 100w/1600 lumen equivalent Daylight/5000k (2700k=normal temp=nasty, dull orange light) CFL from Philips:

http://www.londondrugs.com/Philips-...Light-Bulbs---2-pack/L4360632,default,pd.html

set up behind my monitor since I find that even VA blacks are too light for dark room use and it helps hide screen-uniformity issues without creating glare.

Thank you sir! I actually have a 4 pack of that exact bulb in my closet right now! My lighting is currently set up behind me, so I will now instead place it behind my monitor as you suggest. My issue with the backlight bleed was at night time, with all the lights off, while playing a dark game. Under those circumstances almost any IPS/PLS display will reveal its technological flaws (glow, blb).

Hello everyone. I got this monitor and I though I would like to share my view:
I simply cannot decide whether or not I like it. I came from a Dell U3014. I had to return it because of the heavy IPS glow. Compared to this monitor it's around 1% which I am extremely satisfied with. I play games like Amnesia and L4D and it's absolutely fantastic to have no IPS glow at all - Praise Jesus!

However.. What is imput lag? In FPS games like BF4 I noticed a thing.. It feels like the monitor cannot keep up with the gameplay? Like it's "slow" ? My FPS in game are of course +60 fps all the time (cfx 7970) at a 2560x1440 resolution.

Anyone else with this monitor who can give their point of view regarding gaming experiences? Also.. I don't know if I should turn down brightness down from 100 to perhaps 80? My eyes are getting irritating. On my old U3014 it was 50/50 on brightness/contrast, however, on EV2736W it's 100/50 as of now.. I can totally feel the difference in color quality coming from Dell U3014 to EV2736W.

TLDR: Can't decide whether I am happy or not with this monitor :/

Also.. I don't know if I should turn down brightness down from 100 to perhaps 80? My eyes are getting irritating. On my old U3014 it was 50/50 on brightness/contrast, however, on EV2736W it's 100/50 as of now.. I can totally feel the difference in color quality coming from Dell U3014 to EV2736W. TLDR: Can't decide whether I am happy or not with this monitor :/

It depends on your room lighting, but I feel 80 to 100 brightness is too high. I have my brightness set between 30 to 40. You will get used to it. I feel it's comfortable on my eyes.

Maybe someone else can comment on the input lag as I don't play too many FPS, but I would be interested nonetheless.

I have very little PLS glow as well, but have slight backlight bleed on top. Does yours have any backlight bleed?

It depends on your room lighting, but I feel 80 to 100 brightness is too high. I have my brightness set between 30 to 40. You will get used to it. I feel it's comfortable on my eyes.

Maybe someone else can comment on the input lag as I don't play too many FPS, but I would be interested nonetheless.

I have very little PLS glow as well, but have slight backlight bleed on top. Does yours have any backlight bleed?

I sit in a totally dark room. How can you set it so low? The image quality will be great reduced. I tried to set it down to 50 and ohh boy.. The screen got way too dark. Impossible for me to play with. I have set it now at 80%. As for the backlight bleed. I have nothing as far as I can tell. Only thing I got is a very small area of the IPS glow witch is nearly impossible to see. And trust me.. I am a critic regarding IPS glow lol

I sit in a totally dark room. How can you set it so low? The image quality will be great reduced. I tried to set it down to 50 and ohh boy.. The screen got way too dark. Impossible for me to play with. I have set it now at 80%. As for the backlight bleed. I have nothing as far as I can tell. Only thing I got is a very small area of the IPS glow witch is nearly impossible to see. And trust me.. I am a critic regarding IPS glow lol

Hmmm... For some reason when I have it around 30 brightness, it actually still seems bright in a lit room. In fact, it doesn't get really dim until I go below 20. I may be missing something? Do you have your Eco Settings on?

Monitors always look dull after first turning the brightness down, but there is a simple solution: reduce the brightness and go do something else for fifteen minutes. Cranking the brightness in the dark=asking for eyestrain.

However.. What is input lag? In FPS games like BF4 I noticed a thing.. It feels like the monitor cannot keep up with the gameplay? Like it's "slow" ?

Input lag is the delay between the display and device it is connected to. The Eizo has slightly lower lag than the Dell 3014 when the 3014 is not set to the Game Mode which will feel more responsive:

http://wecravegamestoo.com/forums/m...-30-2560x1600-gaming-monitor.html#post1157616

Dual 7970's will suffer from unstable frame rates in BF4 and large frame rate drops when there is lots of action. The big drops will make the display feel slow @1440p when the settings are turned up, especially if Vsync is enabled.

Last edited:
Hmmm... For some reason when I have it around 30 brightness, it actually still seems bright in a lit room. In fact, it doesn't get really dim until I go below 20. I may be missing something? Do you have your Eco Settings on?

I don't use eco settings at all. Everything is off,however, overdrive is set to standard.:confused:

Falconetti,

I spoke to Eizo tech support today and they told me that the EV2736 does not support hardware calibration which he defined as what happens when the colorometer accesses a board built into the monitor -as will some of their more expensive priced displays and my NEC 2690WUXI will do. He made it a point to say that the display can still be calibrated with a colorometer but the device would be making the adjustments via my computer's GPU instead of through a hardware board in the monitor. I'll install the i1Display Pro software and experiment with the colorometer over the weekend.

Supersnake

Are you 100% sure on this information. It is clearly stated on the manufacturer's description that it does support hardware calibration (if you buy the right hardware from them) right at the bottom of the page.

;)
Are you 100% sure on this information. It is clearly stated on the manufacturer's description that it does support hardware calibration (if you buy the right hardware from them) right at the bottom of the page.

Stay within context, note how the Eizo technician defined 'hardware calibration'.

The Eizo EV2736 monitor is a Flexscan monitor and there is a distinctive technical difference in how they are calibrated versus the more expensive ColorEdge line of Eizo monitors.

Image Science has been offering digital imaging products, services and expertise to photographers and printers around Australia since 2001. In their January 2012 article entitled, they wrote.

How to Calibrate an Eizo Flexscan Monitor (with an Eye One Display 2)
Article Details Last Updated
10th of January, 2012

Eizo screens offer extensive calibration options, and we provide these notes as a guide to achieving a good calibration with an Eizo screen for general photographic editing.
The chief difference between an Eizo Flexscan line monitor and an Eizo ColorEdge monitor is in how you calibrate the monitors.
While both lines of monitor have hardware controls for white point, gamma and brightness that use the inbuilt hardware to make adjustments with much higher quality than typical monitors, it is only with the ColorEdge monitors that you can calibrate directly with the LUT in the back of the monitor.
With Flexscan monitors, you use a more typical 'software calibration' approach. But don't worry - they still calibrate absolutely beautifully. With the ColorEdge monitors, you perform 'hardware calibration' using the supplied Color Navigator software.
If you're interested, you can read more about the different types of monitor calibration.

Methods for colour management with monitors:

1. Direct Hardware Calibration - 'Direct to the metal' hardware calibration as offered by all NEC colour critical monitors (via SpectraView II) and the superb Eizo ColorEdge line of monitors (via the included Color Navigator software)
  2. Software Calibration - So-called 'software calibration using a hardware device' - this is the classic way of properly calibrating, using a device known as a Spyder or an Eye One Display (colorimeters)
  3. Purely software calibration (using your opeating system's in built calibration tool)
  4. The bare minimum method, The worst possible way - matching your monitor to a print your lab supplies ('The Shirley System')
Ref: Image Science

Last edited:
;)

Stay within context, note how the Eizo technician defined 'hardware calibration'.

The Eizo EV2736 monitor is a Flexscan monitor and there is a distinctive technical difference in how they are calibrated versus the more expensive ColorEdge line of Eizo monitors.

Image Science has been offering digital imaging products, services and expertise to photographers and printers around Australia since 2001. In their January 2012 article entitled, they wrote.

How to Calibrate an Eizo Flexscan Monitor (with an Eye One Display 2)
Article Details Last Updated
10th of January, 2012

Eizo screens offer extensive calibration options, and we provide these notes as a guide to achieving a good calibration with an Eizo screen for general photographic editing.
The chief difference between an Eizo Flexscan line monitor and an Eizo ColorEdge monitor is in how you calibrate the monitors.
While both lines of monitor have hardware controls for white point, gamma and brightness that use the inbuilt hardware to make adjustments with much higher quality than typical monitors, it is only with the ColorEdge monitors that you can calibrate directly with the LUT in the back of the monitor.
With Flexscan monitors, you use a more typical 'software calibration' approach. But don't worry - they still calibrate absolutely beautifully. With the ColorEdge monitors, you perform 'hardware calibration' using the supplied Color Navigator software.
If you're interested, you can read more about the different types of monitor calibration.

Methods for colour management with monitors:

1. Direct Hardware Calibration - 'Direct to the metal' hardware calibration as offered by all NEC colour critical monitors (via SpectraView II) and the superb Eizo ColorEdge line of monitors (via the included Color Navigator software)
  2. Software Calibration - So-called 'software calibration using a hardware device' - this is the classic way of properly calibrating, using a device known as a Spyder or an Eye One Display (colorimeters)
  3. Purely software calibration (using your opeating system's in built calibration tool)
  4. The bare minimum method, The worst possible way - matching your monitor to a print your lab supplies ('The Shirley System')
Ref: Image Science

If this is true then the information on the official site is misleading. They say "EIZO EasyPIX is a hardware calibration solution that directly adjusts the monitor’s color settings". So does it adjust the monitor (LUT table or anything else) or, like you suggest, do they call it "hardware calibration" just because you use hardware (a colorimeter) and it just adjusts the colours through the software of the computer?

Was checking the official info
http://www.eizo.com/global/products/flexscan/ev2736w/

Paper Mode and EyeCare Filter Reduce Eye Fatigue

The Paper mode preset simulates the look of printed paper and helps prevent eyestrain when reading documents. When used with EyeCare Filter (available with the bundled ScreenManager Pro software), any of several filter patters that resemble different types of paper can be applied. You can adjust the density of the filter patterns for maximum viewing comfort.

paper_mode.jpg

Wondering whether paper mode works only with documents (PDFs), or with browsers, MS office, other text editors, etc?
Not sure how these "filter patterns" affect viewing either...

I'm still torn between VP2770 and 2736w.

I was EXACTLY in your boat a few days ago and I went with 2736W. FYI, I don't game. :)

I don't game either. My only criterion is ease on the eyes, working with MS word, browsing (not games, not movies, not color critical work).
If i could see them up close, i'd decide in a heartbeat, but there's not such an option, neither trying & returing them.

I dont really mind the small price difference between them, but i cant tell if it's worth it (in terms of ease on the eyes). It's not that i have an eye condition, been using Dell U2410 for years, but i feel i need to change it (and will, before the end of the year). I'm not OCD about bleeding (2736w is supposedly bleeding-free) not sure though whether bleeding may stress the eyes, or it's a defect I would categorize in the OCD spectrum (I mean, personally i could even stand a dead pixel...).
Not sure which option (vp2770 vs 2736w) would make a difference, considering the above.

Last edited:
Wondering whether paper mode works only with documents (PDFs), or with browsers, MS office, other text editors, etc?
Not sure how these "filter patterns" affect viewing either...

I don't game either. My only criterion is ease on the eyes, working with MS word, browsing (not games, not movies, not color critical work).
If i could see them up close, i'd decide in a heartbeat, but there's not such an option, neither trying & returing them.

I dont really mind the small price difference between them, but i cant tell if it's worth it (in terms of ease on the eyes). It's not that i have an eye condition, been using Dell U2410 for years, but i feel i need to change it (and will, before the end of the year). I'm not OCD about bleeding (2736w is supposedly bleeding-free) not sure though whether bleeding may stress the eyes, or it's a defect I would categorize in the OCD spectrum (I mean, personally i could even stand a dead pixel...).
Not sure which option (vp2770 vs 2736w) would make a difference, considering the above.

Déjà vu? :rolleyes:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040299813&postcount=127

The EV2736W uses PWM when the brightness is set below 20% which makes the VP2770 and BL2710PT better choices if you like really dim brightness settings. Back-light bleeding only shows up in dark scenes.

The EV2736W's paper mode has really low contrast (200:1) and a low color temperature of around 4,400k so whites will look quite orangish and black text will look washed out.

http://www.overclockers.ru/lab/5507...vanie_monitora_EIZO_FlexScan_EV2736WFS.html#8

Considering that you are using one of the worst monitors (the U2410 uses the grainiest matte coating available and often have pink and green tinted whites) for text I doubt either will be problematic unless you are one of those idiots who sits in a dark room, complains about eyestrain and refuses to turn down the brightness.

Last edited:

... that or Alzheimer's disease :p
Nah, i remember your answer (and thank you for that). Like i said, i can't return either, so i'll be stuck with the one i buy, that's why the extra question. So i read today about the "filter patterns" & "ScreenManager Pro" on the official eizo page, along with that screenshot showing a PDF i suppose (didn't like at all the pink look, got worried) and was wondering whether it was just hardware settings, or hardware & specific software, and how these filter patterns may affect things (worth giving the extra $, if it's just advertising or it actually has any effect).

Anyhow, is there any difference when using these different "filter patterns", have you tried them ?

"paper mode" is the only mode I can use without having to use heavy painkillers and spend the next day resting in a dark room. The brightness is not below 20%, so you don't have to worry about PWM.

Wondering whether you had the chance to try VP2770 as well, before getting the 2736w, and that was giving you headaches as well ?

The EV2736W uses PWM when the brightness is set below 20% which makes the VP2770 and BL2710PT better choices if you like really dim brightness settings.

Considering that you are using one of the worst monitors (the U2410 uses the grainiest matte coating available and often have pink and green tinted whites) for text I doubt either will be problematic unless you are one of those idiots who sits in a dark room, complains about eyestrain and refuses to turn down the brightness.

Regarding my U2410, brightness has been from the start down to 26 and contrast to 20, and lights on, of course. Is the brightness of different monitors comparable ? I mean, with these settings on my Dell, would be better to go with VP2770 as a safe bet ?

As always, thank you for your help.

Brightness settings from different monitors aren't really comparable but the best review sites typically measure the brightness settings from 0-100%. The EV2736W's default color presets are essentially the same as the VP2770's and they use the same coating.

Example: U2410
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/dell_u2410.htm#contrast_stability

VP2770:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/viewsonic_vp2770-led.htm#contrast_stability

Reducing the U2410's contrast from 50 to 20 likely greatly reduces the brightness [why not set the brightness to zero?] as well as murders the contrast/increases the black depth. Since you like really low brightness settings the BenQ BL2710PT is the best choice since it can get 2x+ dimmer than the rest, does not use PWM Dimming and has a slightly lighter matte coating than the Samsung PLS panels (EV2736W & VP2770).

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/benq_bl2710pt.htm#contrast_stability

Last edited:
The EV2736W's default color presets are essentially the same as the VP2770's and they use the same coating.

Reducing the U2410's contrast from 50 to 20 likely greatly reduces the brightness [why not set the brightness to zero?] as well as murders the contrast/increases the black depth. Since you like really low brightness settings the BenQ BL2710PT is the best choice since it can get 2x+ dimmer than the rest, does not use PWM Dimming and has a slightly lighter matte coating than the Samsung PLS panels (EV2736W & VP2770).

I'm not sure whether it's a general preference, or something i resorted to for Dell U2410. I think i've lowered the settings steadily during the years using this specific monitor, now it just tires me out... hence the need to change it.

I was checking your comments:
The BenQ BL2710PT is the monitor buy over the Asus PB278Q, Dell U2713HM (run away screaming from it), Samsung S27A850D & LG 27EA83R (sRGB Version, 120hz LED PWM Dimming Frequency) if the Viewsonic VP2770 & Eizo EV2736W are to expensive or not available. My matte Qnix has far less glow but it does have noticeable light bleeding even when the lights are on.

Unfortunately PRAD's BL2710PT test is not available yet (release date 17/02/2014).

Quoting again from your BenQ BL2710PT Review (Calibrated Image Quality),
clarity.jpg

Not sure which is best for Clarity (lowest value probably, 1 for Crossover & NEC ?), and whether this is more important than brightness considering work with text, MS office, etc.

I'm in Europe, and i can get 2736w for 600 euros, vp2770 for 480 and Ben-Q for 450. I consider the price differences minimal.
Considering the above, any advice for the final purchase please ?

INot sure which is best for Clarity (lowest value probably, 1 for Crossover & NEC ?), and whether this is more important than brightness considering work with text, MS office, etc.

I'm in Europe, and i can get 2736w for 600 euros, vp2770 for 480 and Ben-Q for 450. I consider the price differences minimal.
Considering the above, any advice for the final purchase please ?

Lower values are better and I now see I made a mistake, the P242W should be tied with the BenQ :p Since you are using a monitor with the grainiest matte coating you should place more value on lower brightness settings and get the BL2710PT which also happens to have the clearest coating :)

Last edited:
Back