Eizo FlexScan EV2736W

Here's a backlight bleed test, I took the following picture one, first one at 6400 ISO, the second at 1600 ISO on my Sony NEX-5N camera. I took them with 100nit brightness, I also took some pictures with full brightness and the results look similar in terms of relatively bleeding.

DSC00672.jpg

DSC00673.jpg

The vendor I purchased this from does have a 30 day return policy, so do you think I just got a bad unit? I have no doubt about EIZO quality until now.

Both pictures are over exposed and unnecessarily grainy due to the high ISO. You don't need to crank the ISO if you use a slower shutter speed. Realistic example of light bleeding on the left (140cdm/2): http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5491/10917739255_31870b91fd_o.jpg

Find something to set your camera on, back up at least 5ft away if possible, position the camera head on with the monitor and try

Shutter Speed: 3" to 1/3
F. 5.6 (starting point)
ISO 100-400 (set the ISO low enough so that the pictures do not turn out grainy).

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice,

First one is with 200 ISO, second with 100 ISO, upper right corner is the mouse cursor.

DSC00681.jpg

DSC00682.jpg

The last picture looks more realistic, though it does seem slightly underexposed. If your EV2736W's looks more like your last picture you have nothing to worry about.

I see, it's just that when my eyes are fully adjusted to darkness, I see something similar to the second picture (ISO 1600) with my eyes, especially the bottom region where it is extremely annoying.

My eight year old Eizo certainly doesn't exhibit such bleed, maybe this is normal for monitors manufactured these days and I have been out of touch with reality?

Last edited:
My eight year old Eizo certainly doesn't exhibit such bleed, maybe this is normal for monitors manufactured these days and I have been out of touch with reality?

My EV2736W exhibits some bleed at the top, so this monitor is definitely not exempt from blb, although bleed is minimal on this monitor in general compared to other models. There is an absence of pls glow which is a huge plus, so I am very happy with it.

I got the VP2770 (a second one...the first one had a deep scratch on the screen) to test it out and it had glow and blb AND some issue with one of the back light leds: there was some stuck clump of pixels or an actual led about the size of the letter 'o' lit very bright. Unbelievable they even shipped that particular monitor.

Unfortunately yes. I have read quite a few reports of 2000$ NEC PA301W owners who exchanged multiple monitors with obvious bleed...

The really question is, can you see the bleed during normal use? I always keep a light on (1x 1300 or 2500 lumen 6500k CFL) and can see the blb on my Qnix QX2710 in dark scenes and wide screen movies, it is quite annoying. My BenQ BL2710PT is pretty much as BLB free as affordable monitors get, but so was my former 450$ Crossover 2720MDP! I seem to have better luck than most though, most of the displays I've tested have come from stores and have been BLB and dead+stuck pixel free.

Emailed Eizo for the third time over a week ago about testing an EV2736W and the version listed on their Japanese site which has a 10 bit LUT, still no response...not impressed.

The more I use the EV2736 the more I like it, blu ray looks amazing, I guess I will not return it.

The more I use the EV2736 the more I like it, blu ray looks amazing, I guess I will not return it.

As NCX mentioned, if the blb is not too intrusive during normal lighting situations, I think you should stick with it. I got over the little blb I had after the realization that Dell, Asus, Samsung, Viewsonic, and Korean brands aren't going to do any better in terms of bleed...and most likely worse. Back light bleed is unfortunately part of the manufacturing process for these displays due to the variability of quality control.

NCX, too bad Eizo is not responding to your emails. It would have been great to see your review, but it seems the company is tight-lipped about their product reviews. In fact, I don't remember the last time I've seen an Eizo review by some mainstream publication/website (if I'm not mistaken).

When I calibrated it with basICColor, the hardware calibration option (LUT) was greyed out, so it probably has no LUT.

Just a thought, because I might get another EV2736W or so to see if there is one with even less backlight bleed. Meanwhile if I sell the one I currently own along with the calibration ICM profiles (see http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1796419, I can re-calibrate to the brightness you desire.) would anyone be interested in buying it? =)

Emailed Eizo for the third time over a week ago about testing an EV2736W and the version listed on their Japanese site which has a 10 bit LUT, still no response...not impressed.

Their email support can be spotty (at best). Sometimes they'd email me right back, sometimes forget about me.

Have you tried calling them instead? Canada Telephone: (+1) 562 431 5011

And this may sound weird, but the fastest way I've gotten Eizo to respond is simply to post a message on their facebook page. Worst case, try that?

LUT (look up table) is where the calibration correction is stored. If the monitor has LUT then the computer can send it directly to monitor, otherwise it's sent to the graphics card. I am not an expert to say what the difference is though.

hello. I also got this monitor for arround a week.
and im gonna say it has one very annoying thing, which is... the black color is not dark enough..
even on my old LG 226T the black color is more dark...even if i put contrast on 30, black is not dark enough...so im not sure if im happy with this monitor

Reducing the contrast instead of the brightness will make the blacks look lighter....and why reduce the contrast instead of the brightness in the first place? Leave the contrast alone and set the brightness to 20-30.

Unless you buy a 1080p monitor with an A-MVA panel or a CRT you won't find a monitor with better black levels, especially since the EV2736W is glow free.

oh, sorry, i mean the brightness, not contrast, i got my contrast always on 50.
i tried to change my brightness and firugre it out that my black is enough dark if i change my brightness to arround 14, but if i do that, then other colors are dark... (white is not so white anymore etc...)
Can you tell me, you guys have contrast arround 50 also ?

The contrast is supposed to be kept at 50. Put a lamp and an LED Light (5000k-6500k, 500 lumen should be bright enough) behind the monitor instead of keeping all of the lights off, then you won't have to reduce the brightness as much.

For those of you who have had both the EV2736 and VP2770, which do you like better?

So i read today about the "filter patterns" & "ScreenManager Pro" on the official eizo page, along with that screenshot showing a PDF i suppose (didn't like at all the pink look, got worried) and was wondering whether it was just hardware settings, or hardware & specific software, and how these filter patterns may affect things (worth giving the extra $, if it's just advertising or it actually has any effect).

Don't worry about the paper mode looking anywhere pink. That picture just looks odd compared to how it really looks. Color temperature in "paper mode" is set to 4500k, so bright whites are warmer and easier on the eyes.

Anyhow, is there any difference when using these different "filter patterns", have you tried them ?

I have tried all of the filter patterns and the only filter I like is number 2 in a list of 6. The other ones emulate the paper structure on screen a bit too much to my liking. Number 2 however is nice if you work with bright backgrounds for a longer period.

Wondering whether you had the chance to try VP2770 as well, before getting the 2736w, and that was giving you headaches as well ?

Sorry, but I have not had the opportunity to try the VP2770.

Hi
I need help I cannot make a decision
shortly the story:
I have a macbook unibody and a 24 led cinema display, I wiil stick on mac, i will buy soon a mac air, few months ago I had a bad eyestrain and I found out that the cinema display is responsible. I found that I have 2 option: a CCFL monitor or a LED monitor fliker free.
I can buy in Germany (I live in CH but i have a service in De which buy for me and then I go there and pick the stuff and export and get back the De VAT)
I have IMHO four options

NEC PA241W 899 Euros
Eizo EV2736W silver 626 euros
Viewsonic VP2770 512 euros
BenQ BL2710PT 599 euros

the price is not a problem
what I am resisting about the NEC is the pretty old technology and moreover the 24"
I use the monitor basically for surfing and mails, some time I use word and power point, rarely I use for live streaming (NFL football)
I am basically concerning about the risk of flikering which is badly affecting me, compatibility with Mac products, the quality (the lottery about panels quality is hell) and the service, replacement in case of defects and support, for these reasons I am a little bit bending to Eizo 2763W but reading the reviews and this thread and others in the forum I seriously considering both Viewsonic and BenQ. So I do not know what to do and any suggestion is very welcome

I assumed that apple cinema displays, even the older 24" LED ones, were PWM-free?

Out of your list, I'd lean towards the Eizo, simply because of the lesser amount of IPS/PLS glow (at least based on user comments).

NEC PA241W:Uses a grainy matte coating and is essentially a fancier version of your Apple and a total waste of money for your uses.

Eizo EV2736W: It's glow free, offers equally as good colors as the BenQ & Viewsonic and has a 5 year warranty

Viewsonic VP2770: It has a better stand than the BenQ and 4x USB 3.0 ports vs. the Eizos USB 2.0

BenQ BL2710PT: It can get much dimmer than the Eizo and Viewsonic is completely PWM free while the Eizo only is down to 20% brightness. It might be the best option for eyestrain if you like to use low brightness settings since it can get 67% dimmer than the Eizo & BenQ.

The main differences between the BenQ, Eizo & Viewsonic are mostly gaming related and don't really apply to your uses.

@NCX...thanks...you made all clear...

one question left

in your opinion Viewsonic reliability and service are good enough and at the same level of Eizo?

NEC PA241W:Uses a grainy matte coating and is essentially a fancier version of your Apple and a total waste of money for your uses.

Eizo EV2736W: It's glow free, offers equally as good colors as the BenQ & Viewsonic and has a 5 year warranty

Viewsonic VP2770: It has a better stand than the BenQ and 4x USB 3.0 ports vs. the Eizos USB 2.0

BenQ BL2710PT: It can get much dimmer than the Eizo and Viewsonic is completely PWM free while the Eizo only is down to 20% brightness. It might be the best option for eyestrain if you like to use low brightness settings since it can get 67% dimmer than the Eizo & BenQ.

The main differences between the BenQ, Eizo & Viewsonic are mostly gaming related and don't really apply to your uses.

I have one question which is more interesting than the last one

What 27" CCFL would you suggest for me?

thanks

Is it worth buying it for $630 even though it's a demo?

What 27" CCFL would you suggest for me?

None, they all suck and/or (usually and) are very overpriced and a waste of money for your uses.

Is it worth buying it for $630 even though it's a demo?

Depends on the warranty (if it's damaged Eizo might not honor the warranty), ability to return/exchange it & if you can inspect the coating for scratches, check for light bleed and dead/stuck pixels first if it can't be returned. Might want to ask Eizo via Facebook about the warranty.

Last edited:
Depends on the warranty (if it's damaged Eizo might not honor the warranty), ability to return/exchange it & if you can inspect it the coating for scratches, check for light bleed and dead/stuck pixels first if it can't be returned. Might want to ask Eizo via Facebook about the warranty.

It comes with full fabric warranty so that won't be a problem. But the customer who bought it and redeemed it must have found something wrong with it? In either case if i buy it and found it's not to my full satisfactory i could return it because i have full warranty?

the EV2736W silver I have been ordered arrived this afternoon......
pixel are ok....
on the top almost left side I found a BLB.....annoying considering the price but irrelevant for my use...
I connected the macbook via minidisplay port display port....I had a 2560x1440 resolution and a standard profile in preferences' display profile......... I tried more resolutions but all they look very bad.....I found out that in the mac system preferences there is no option to choose the monitor speakers (after setting sound on display port)...
I am using user 1 and paper mode so far and I was watching a movie in movie mode......good for me
so as others already did, I very suggest to buy this monitor from shops with a good return policy because BLB is a real problem....

I just received my EV2736W today!

However, I can't get the yellows to look right...Can anyone share their ICC profile?

So I am thinking of buying the Eizo EV2736W

For the people who have it, could you listen up closely to your monitor and see if there is any noise/buzzing?

I am a bit scared to order after I read the review that it might have some buzzing.

The unit I received yesterday has no buzzing whatsoever. I'm very sensitive to sound (as that is my primary profession), and regardless of what brightness setting I have the display set to, there's no detectable/audible sound emanating from it.

Only buzzing on the EV 2736 is unfounded anxiety based on some long ago posted review or YouTube for one monitor out of the thousands since released. There is no buzzing.

Most of you seem to drift to a lower priced monitor, for others the quality of a monitor takes precedence over price. I purchased an X-Rite i1 Display Pro for this monitor, the color was significantly improved after calibration. You can view a YouTube video of this calibrator in action.

[H] members who are interested in an Eizo 2736 have been advised to purchase one from a source having a good return policy.
[FONT=&quot]I have a business account with PCM[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. They are one of the largest business resellers, they also process individual sales. PCM is the entity that absorbed PC Mall and Mac Mall. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I have found PCM post sales service to be excellent. This PCM contact will honor a return for any defect what so ever, including a pixel anomaly or a missing pixel [/FONT][FONT=&quot](800) 555-6255 X55646.

Enjoy[/FONT],
It is a very good monitor.

Last edited:
I just received my EV2736W today!

However, I can't get the yellows to look right...Can anyone share their ICC profile?
You can PM me for mine if you like. But before you do turn off the Eco View via the 'green leaf' on screen display button if you want to achieve targeted lighting then go into your ScreenManager Pro application which you should have installed from the display CD and use the User1mode. Leave Power Saver on. These measures alone may be all that you need.

Auto EcoView OFF
EcoView Sense OFF

Last edited:
You can PM me for mine if you like. But before you do turn off the Eco View via the 'green leaf' on screen display button if you want to achieve targeted lighting then go into your ScreenManager Pro application which you should have installed from the display CD and use the User1mode. Leave Power Saver on. These measures alone may be all that you need.

Auto EcoView OFF
EcoView Sense OFF

I went ahead a purchased a colorimeter, the i1 Display Pro based on your recommendation. Thanks! I'm so glad I did. Colors look much better after calibration, and I can also calibrate the displays of my laptops as well. Now I'm on a calibration craze haha..it's too bad we can't calibrate any of the iOS devices :(

I went ahead a purchased a colorimeter, the i1 Display Pro based on your recommendation. Thanks! I'm so glad I did. Colors look much better after calibration, and I can also calibrate the displays of my laptops as well. Now I'm on a calibration craze haha..it's too bad we can't calibrate any of the iOS devices :(

:p Spoken like a true [H] forum member, crazed and discriminating.
You're welcome, glad to have helped. Enjoy your colorimeter and your nice monitor.

Supersnake

Back