Dying Light 2

Wish I could get the game to not crash on launch.

I'm having crashing issues as well. I bought DL2 several months ago but just started playing it last week. However, mine doesn't crash at launch. It crashes after playing for a few minutes.

I just beat the story, and, is it just me or was the
boss battle a let down?

Performance before and after is exactly the same, for anyone it concerns.

In general Denuvo doesn't really impact overall frame rates much. What it can cause is slower loading times or micro stutters when performing certain actions. Switching weapons, an animation playing, a sound playing. It essentially embeds itself on a bunch of random actions. The real problem tends to come with they bundle it with another DRM. A number of companies use 2 or more DRM solutions with Denuvo being just one layer.

weird that some games remove Denuvo after a few weeks...some a few months...some a year later

gotta love the support from Techland with both Dying Light games...

Community Update #2 (1.9.0)

Ragdolls physics and AI Reaction improvements
We've upgraded your experience to include the new, improved ragdoll animations, physics and AI reactions. Infected now behave more more realistically upon taking damage. Equip yourself with the best tools, and check out these enhancements yourself!
● New ragdoll code that more realistically applies the forces of the hits
● New ragdoll presets change the hit reactions of human-sized enemies
● Changed a number of animation-based hit reactions to ragdolls
● Changes to AI behavior around the ledges of buildings

Dynamic Competitions are back
Looking for something new to spice up your online experience? Check out a classic feature from Dying Light — Dynamic Competitions! It will give you the thrill of tackling something unexpected!
This feature will be developed further in the upcoming updates!

This update brings a number of major changes that will impact gameplay. Let's take a look at some of the highlights in this update.
● Players can now experience more immersive and frightening audio during the night chases
● Cutscenes can be skipped by holding down the dedicated button.
● Hazmat Biters won't explode instantly when hit with a weapon using fire or electric mods
● Players can now determine any amount of crafted items - not only one or all.
● Players can now instantly kill grabbing Biters with the Stab Skill upgrade
● Rare Trophies will now drop more often from Infected
● Newly added apparel — Pilgrim Outfit — granted at the beginning of the game.
● Ability to dodge when looking up
● Improved world textures — selected floors, walls, and surfaces
● Lowered Biter-grabbing frequency
● New 1-handed axe animations — and we're not stopping with animations improvements there!

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/534380/view/3644009824671100670

I'm glad I waited to play Dying Light 2...each update seems to add substantial improvements in terms of gameplay, visuals, audio, ray tracing etc...a future patch is working on making the Night experience more scary like the first game which is one of the biggest downgrades they made with DL2

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
I am still having the game crash at the warning screen, uninstalled completely and reinstalled the game multiple times. I contacted Techland and they are saying I need to delete all my games and reinstall steam to fix it as it might be an issue with information in a random directory that is bad. They literally want me to delete 1 TB worth of games, in the hopes it will fix a crash with their game.

I am still having the game crash at the warning screen, uninstalled completely and reinstalled the game multiple times. I contacted Techland and they are saying I need to delete all my games and reinstall steam to fix it as it might be an issue with information in a random directory that is bad. They literally want me to delete 1 TB worth of games, in the hopes it will fix a crash with their game.

You can try moving your steam games folder to a different drive. I think you can reinstall Steam without reinstalling your games, you just have to point them to a directory to detect them. So you can swap your 1TB of games to an entirely different PC as an example. Don't recall the exact process.

They want me to delete not move all my games.
I doubt seriously your other games are making DL2 crash. I would do what Flogger said. I've had to do the same thing with Steam when Skyrim was fucking up on me, and I just moved the Steam Common folder over to another drive and nuked Steam from orbit and reinstalled.
Fuck deleting all your games smh.

They want me to delete not move all my games.

That makes zero sense.

Are they concerned some other games dependencies are screwing something up?

Seems highly unlikely to me.

Maybe go into the game folder in steam and manually reinstall all of the distributables (they are usually in a folder in there somewhere).

I'd also reinstall your GPU drivers.

Back in the day we used to have to do a clean windows install every 6 months to a year to keep things running smoothly. Things are much better these days, but that doesn't mean some part of Windows can't become corrupt :(

FWIW, I was expecting frame generation to be awful, but I turned it on, and it is completely transparent to me. Like just having free extra framerate.

Or in my case, it took it from hovering around 90-110 fps to being pretty much pinned at 120 (my monitors max refresh) and lowered GPU utilization so it runs cooler and quieter.

I was prepared to hate it (and I still really don't like the concept) but at least in this title, on my hardware, it works, and it works well.

Told techland support I wasn't going to delete all my games and if that was the best answer they had, it was. They are blaming a mod I had installed almost a year ago, amd which was uninstalled 4 or reinstalls ago, on the game crashing.

Told techland support I wasn't going to delete all my games and if that was the best answer they had, it was. They are blaming a mod I had installed almost a year ago, amd which was uninstalled 4 or reinstalls ago, on the game crashing.

A mod may possibly have corrupted game save data in some way, so even if uninstalled might cause issues. Of course unless you have a backup save of before the mod installation that would be a problem. Especially if you progressed a lot.

Aside from that it seems more like a game issue to me. If the game is completely reinstalled and Steam is completely reinstalled, and the mod did not alter the save data in anyway, it is likely a game issue.

I don't understand how a mod for another game could impact this game. Each game has their own data folder, and should be independent.

If the mod impacted the dependencies, maybe that would do it, though it still sounds unlikely. I would just uninstall and clean install all of the redistributables that came with the game.

That said, looking at the game folder for Dying Light 2, this isn't as straight forward as I am used to. There is usually just a folder with redistributable executables, but I am not finding it for this game.

Still, a clean install every now and then isn't a bad idea. If your internet is slow, and you don't want to redownload the games, you can back up the game folder locally. (you can just copy the "steamapps" folder in your steam directory to another drive). Steam (if that's where you bought it) will scan the install folders when you go to install a game, and only download the missing files, if any.

Depends on how interested you are in actually playing the game, if it is worth trying.

If it were my system, I'd just dump the install drive to an image backup, so you have it in case you want to revert, do a clean install of windows and see if it works. First thing I'd do is install all the drivers, steam and the game, and see if it fires up. if it does,m then you can work on restoring shit from your backed up image, if it doesn't, then you can just revert to your image.

Seems like a lot of work for just one game, but I guess my take is that whatever the problem is, if it is impacting one title, it may impact others. I'd rather have my system in good working order, so I'd do it (when I had some spare time) even if I didn't care that much for the game.

Played a couple hours. How is it possible this game is worse than DL1 in almost every conceivable way? Oof.

Played a couple hours. How is it possible this game is worse than DL1 in almost every conceivable way? Oof.
It's better in some ways, worse in others. The gameplay loop encourages exploration during the night, while in the first game all you got was an XP boost. I also like the story more than the first game. The map is massive and fun to explore. Parkour and combat both feel like a step backward compared to the first game, though. There is supposed to be a patch coming that will at least improve the feel of the melee combat. They messed something up with the special infected in a patch from last year. I don't know what they did, but there is basically no point in hunting them anymore.

Some bullshit right here.

DyingLightGame_x64_rwdi_2023_02_16_18_30_58_731.png

I don't know. I'm enjoying it.

At this point I played the first one so long ago, that I can't make a direct comparison.

I think I miss the option to go with guns, but their absence makes sense in the story line.

There are some annoyances though:

1.) Reuse of NPC conversation lines. Often there are even different voice actors reading the exact same lines you heard some other character say 2 minutes earlier. It really is immersion breaking. That was one thing I thought CyberPunk 2077 did really well. The varied background noises and conversations among NPC's made the world come alive. it didn't feel as scripted. It feels particularly stupid because they cheaped out on the wrong thing. Like They splurged on multiple voice actors, but they couldn't have some intern write a few different lines for them to read? So they waste their voice actor money and have them read the identical lines? That would have cost them less than a pizza to get right.

2.) The side quests are usually really dumb. A handful are OK, but most are like "this old couple is having a fight, and the only way they can make up is if they have sardines and onions, so you have to race a parkour course to get sardines and onions for them in less than 2min 30 sec." (not making this one up) I mean, shit. It's like they weren't even trying with the side quests.
I mean, for fucks sake. The stupidity really just breaks the immersion in the game and makes it feel dumb. With #2 I bet they were trying to go for comic relief, but it just wasnt working. Would ahve been better to just make it all serious and realistic all the time. I don't understand why everyone has to make their games goofy. It's really goddamn annoying.

Is there someone in game making school somewhere teaching them that games sell 0.54% better if they have goofy stupid shit in them instead of being gritty and real?

Some bullshit right here.

View attachment 549803
Well, what are you running for the game to do that?
I don't know. I'm enjoying it.

At this point I played the first one so long ago, that I can't make a direct comparison.

I think I miss the option to go with guns, but their absence makes sense in the story line.

There are some annoyances though:

1.) Reuse of NPC conversation lines. Often there are even different voice actors reading the exact same lines you heard some other character say 2 minutes earlier. It really is immersion breaking. That was one thing I thought CyberPunk 2077 did really well. The varied background noises and conversations among NPC's made the world come alive. it didn't feel as scripted. It feels particularly stupid because they cheaped out on the wrong thing. Like They splurged on multiple voice actors, but they couldn't have some intern write a few different lines for them to read? So they waste their voice actor money and have them read the identical lines? That would have cost them less than a pizza to get right.

2.) The side quests are usually really dumb. A handful are OK, but most are like "this old couple is having a fight, and the only way they can make up is if they have sardines and onions, so you have to race a parkour course to get sardines and onions for them in less than 2min 30 sec." (not making this one up) I mean, shit. It's like they weren't even trying with the side quests.
I mean, for fucks sake. The stupidity really just breaks the immersion in the game and makes it feel dumb. With #2 I bet they were trying to go for comic relief, but it just wasnt working. Would ahve been better to just make it all serious and realistic all the time. I don't understand why everyone has to make their games goofy. It's really goddamn annoying.

Is there someone in game making school somewhere teaching them that games sell 0.54% better if they have goofy stupid shit in them instead of being gritty and real?
2.) I don't recall any quests like that. Most quests, if not all, have a very serious tone. Some of the side quests are supposed to illustrate the trouble people have in adapting to their new reality in trying to cling onto the old world while living in the present. There is one humorous quest I recall where you need to find and catch a scarf for an older woman who claims to have been a famous singer. By the end when you give it to her it's obvious that she is trying to lighten up her life as she explains how she is not serious whether or not you choose to listen to her sing. The game is all yet dealing with very serious issues like suicide, depression, and desperation.

I'm with TaintedSquirrel, the first one, after I beat the campaign, I kept playing because I was having a lot of fun. This one, after beating it, I uninstalled it and really have no desire to go back to it.

Well, what are you running for the game to do that?
If you have a custom data2.pak active (which means ANY mods) it will disable legend xp.
It's silly because you can just use a trainer to give yourself levels if you want to cheat. And using mods already disables online play.

I do agree, it is a strange semi-enforcement which I don't fully understand.

But yes, you can either use runtime modifiers (trainiers) or just ignore legend levels, which I successfully did to this point anyway.

I just modded out weapon decay, I found it annoying. Am fine with not having +3 to something which doesn't matter anymore where I'm at in the game.

I've done 4 quarantine zones and they're all the same GRE medical facilities, even the layout is identical I think.
wtf happened here? In the first game they were train tunnels, a chinese restaurant, an apartment building, etc.

This game feels like it was made by Ubisoft...

I just beat the story, and, is it just me or was the
boss battle a let down?
before i even clicked the spoiler i already knew what was coming, because yes lol.

Yeah, I agree.

It was a boring boss-fight, and kind of lame how he kept coming back after you just about defeated him.

I was also kind of disappointed with the ending I got, but so much of it is based upon decisions you make along the way that there is no way I am going halfway back in the game to try to get a different outcome.

I kept trying to make the "right choice" throughout the game, but the outcomes seem kind of arbitrary to the choices you make, and that kind of bugged me a little.

I'm usually a completionist when it comes to these kind of games. I usually completely explore the map and go after every last side quest before finishing the main story line, but in this title I was probably only about 60%-75% done with those when I came across the last story mission, and I found myself not caring to extend it any further.

It wasn't a bad game. I don't regret buying it, or spending ~70 hours in it, but unlike some games like Cyberpunk that ended and had me wishing there was more, even after 155 hours, this one felt like after 70 or so hours I'd had my fill and it was time to move on.

Last edited:
Back