Dying Light 2

Funny, I think retail looks way better than E3.
I would agree. I would describe retail as "often amazing, sometimes middling".

I've seen some criticisms, but honestly, it looks great in play IMO most of the time. The lighting, as one would hope from "Dying Light" is well done. I can tell what time of day it is without looking at the clock, because the world looks like it should at that time.

Agreed. The E3 one looks blurry and washed out, as if it were upscaled from a shitty resolution.
Likely was. The level of detail of those outdoor scenes is way more than what current consoles could handle.

Funny, I think retail looks way better than E3.
I am not talking about the overall graphics just that the game looks cartoony when looking out over the city in side by side comparison to the more gritty look of 2018.

Last edited:
Patch 1.04 for PC is LIVE on Steam and EGS. We’ve added the following fixes. The remaining tweaks are being worked on. Thank you for your patience!

Patch Notes:
- fixed various game crashing bugs
- fixed AI dead body replication in co-op
- added DLSS improvements
- fixed issue when players couldn't sell valuables to vendor
- fixed artifacts being sometimes visible on some AMD cards
- fixed mouse key binding options (meaning: you should be allowed to rebind your mouse buttons, we are still working on an additional implementation for extra mouse buttons)

----
Hello Survivors!
Patch 1.05 for PC is LIVE on Steam and EGS. We’ve added the following fixes. The remaining tweaks are being worked on. Thank you for your patience!

Patch Notes:
- Video presets settings improvements
- Game stability improvements

https://steamcommunity.com/app/534380/discussions/0/3186862565353445882/

When we were carrying out our initial performance testing, checking out the best settings for Dying Light 2, we found that the original Nvidia DLSS experience was strangely muddy, and kinda reminiscent of the first-gen implementation of the AI-powered, game-prettifying feature...in fact, it was such a disappointment I actually preferred the look of AMD's FidelityFX Super Resolution with the game in motion despite some strange anti-anti-aliasing artifacting of its own

But having jumped back into the game for the first time since patch 1.04 was released, and with the RTX 3050 in tow, the game's DLSS implementation looks way better than it did on launch day...so far the game looks far sharper, at least inside the city limits, without the smearing in motion problems I was having in my initial play through...

https://www.pcgamer.com/dying-lights-latest-patch-means-its-safe-to-turn-on-dlss-again/

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Patch 1.06 released

DL2.jpg

Is it just me, or are the combat challenges extremely difficult and the parkour challenges extremely easy this time around? On average it takes me at least a dozen times to gold a combat challenge while, more often than not, I can gold the parkour challenges on the first try.

Some of the parkour challenges are pretty difficult if you don't have a lot of parkour upgrades. That water delivery one in the first zone I can barely make it with the bronze time because there are sections of the challenge you simply can't do fast if you don't have skills like wall running, etc.

Also remember, certain challenges will be made easier or harder depending on which faction controls the zone. If you don't side with the Bazaar faction you won't have all those parkour assist things like ziplines and the jump things laying around everywhere.

Finished the game yesterday. Liked the faster default running speed compared to the last game.

I didn’t like the story all that much. However, the gameplay felt really polished and fluid so I didn’t care in the end. I’ll do another play through at least for some different choices, but maybe after I collect all the upgrades and try out some different play styles.

I will 100% playthrough again if they patch in a nightmare type mode to the game that makes it more dangerous at night time. Otherwise, it was a great game for what it is, but there just isn't enough challenge.

What's with the update/patch 1.0.6 version number?
Mine updated today and version is 1.0.5
Can anyone on Steam confirm the latest version?

Our first free DLC for Dying Light 2 Stay Human is coming! The Authority pack consists of three parts. You'll be able to claim them at Epic Games, XBox, Playstation and Steam stores to collect the full set. Visit the TechlandGG for more info! The first one's arriving soon, so stay tuned!

The game is starting to ramp up in difficulty once I hit survivor level 5. Virals started doing leaping attacks that they never did before. Goons gained additional armor. I'm at the point where I need to farm unique trophies, but Volatiles can still kill you in one hit if you're not paying attention. I found a good chase farming location, but can only manage to kill 3 or so Volatiles before they stop spawning for some reason.

Anyone find a good spot to farm Volatiles for unique trophies yet?

What weapon upgrades do y'all like?
I have been enjoying the flame blast mod one. That seems to wreck large groups, and the remainders still alive are a little occupied.

What weapon upgrades do y'all like?
I have been enjoying the flame blast mod one. That seems to wreck large groups, and the remainders still alive are a little occupied.
I have been enjoying the Flame+fling mods myself. Just got the charm that basically gives you unlimited durability too!

Loving this game more then I thought I would. Not even sure how far am in the game. But, it really is good!

I have been enjoying the Flame+fling mods myself. Just got the charm that basically gives you unlimited durability too!

Loving this game more then I thought I would. Not even sure how far am in the game. But, it really is good!
I am enjoying it a lot too. I enjoyed the first one to semi-absurd levels, and this is scratching that same itch.

Mirror's Edge, with scary bitey things, and a need to scrounge. Love it.

The game is starting to ramp up in difficulty once I hit survivor level 5. Virals started doing leaping attacks that they never did before. Goons gained additional armor. I'm at the point where I need to farm unique trophies, but Volatiles can still kill you in one hit if you're not paying attention. I found a good chase farming location, but can only manage to kill 3 or so Volatiles before they stop spawning for some reason.

Anyone find a good spot to farm Volatiles for unique trophies yet?
Outside the bazaar, I think, if memory serves. Ground level UV safe zone you can use to quickly heal up and then run out and hit them again.

I think that's where I was - I got like 5 without a ton of trouble.

Outside the bazaar, I think, if memory serves. Ground level UV safe zone you can use to quickly heal up and then run out and hit them again.

I think that's where I was - I got like 5 without a ton of trouble.
Yes, the Metro station right outside the bazaar is where I've been farming at the moment. Looks like there might be a good spot outside the city center that I want to try.

On another note, I gave the console version a try on Series X and noticed that game has a few things that reveals potential bugs with the PC version. For one, the Revenants have 3 stages that the change through as you take their HP down, with each stage having significant different behavior. I have never experienced this in the PC version It made those fights a lot more interesting.

For two, human enemies seem to be dropping med kits at a relatively high rate. Maybe they do this at the beginning of the game, but on the console version they have continued to do it through survivor level 3 and some moderate story progress. I don't recall ever picking up med kits from random enemy drops in the PC version.

For three, enemies seem to react more often even to your lower-leveled weapons with little to no combat passives. This may not be a bug, but an adjustment to make playing with a controller easier.

Beyond that, people think the PC version is buggy, but playing on the Series X I've experienced actual game-breaking and obtrusive bugs. So far I experienced respawning in the air and falling to my death, being able to interact with no NPCs, and the graphics just completely bugging out with obtrusive effects such as models being stretched to oblivion. The last bug happens no matter which video mode you choose to use (performance, quality, resolution).

Regardless, I will be finishing the game on PC before moving on to anything else.

Last edited:
Yes, the Metro station right outside the bazaar is where I've been farming at the moment. Looks like there might be a good spot outside the city center that I want to try.

On another note, I gave the console version a try on Series X and noticed that game has a few things that reveals potential bugs with the PC version. For one, the Revenants have 3 stages that the change through as you take their HP down, with each stage having significant different behavior. I have never experienced this in the PC version It made those fights a lot more interesting.
I think I saw something like this, but with a spear opener and then max weapon (on mid difficulty) they don't really last long enough that I notice. I feel this is something which will come back in my next playthrough on the hard level.
For two, human enemies seem to be dropping med kits at a relatively high rate. Maybe they do this at the beginning of the game, but on the console version they have continued to do it through survivor level 3 and some moderate story progress. I don't recall ever picking up med kits from random enemy drops in the PC version.
They seem to keep doing this, but they drop low level medkits. Generally low HP which takes a long time to apply. Good to top off, but not generally usable in big fights.
For three, enemies seem to react more often even to your lower-leveled weapons with little to no combat passives. This may not be a bug, but an adjustment to make playing with a controller easier.

Beyond that, people think the PC version is buggy, but playing on the Series X I've experienced actual game-breaking and obtrusive bugs. So far I experienced respawning in the air and falling to my death, being able to interact with no NPCs, and the graphics just completely bugging out with obtrusive effects such as models being stretched to oblivion. The last bug happens no matter which video mode you choose to use (performance, quality, resolution).
I actually don't think the PC version is that buggy. Some quirks and such, but it's basically been fine. I know, YMMV and all that, but much like Cyberpunk - seem to be in the crowd which didn't have many problems. Lucky or not that big of a deal - I only have one data point.

The only thing I'd nitpick, and really I have no solution - is that the city doesn't feel as ... consistent? as Harran. It's a bunch of things, but Harran felt like a real place while, for reasons for which I am not smart enough to articulate - Villedor does not. It is quite possibly that I never knew anything like Harran, but Villedor looks like places I might have lived, with undead and more ivy. Dunno.

I'm at the endgame, and still really enjoy it. That's not something I can say about most games.

I started playing the first game again - I forgot how annoying the weapon repair mechanic is. What's the point of upgrading weapons when even the legendary ones eventually break for good?

I started playing the first game again - I forgot how annoying the weapon repair mechanic is. What's the point of upgrading weapons when even the legendary ones eventually break for good?
Whatever you're using it will be replaced really quickly. By the end of the game orange weapons really are not anymore special than blue weapons when both are equipped with attachments. Vendors are flush with purples and oranges.

Whatever you're using it will be replaced really quickly. By the end of the game orange weapons really are not anymore special than blue weapons when both are equipped with attachments. Vendors are flush with purples and oranges.
I suppose. I also forgot how much I FUCKING HATE the climbing in this game. Is DL2 just as bad with refusing to grab a ledge when you jump toward it? Died several times on the goddamn bridge tower because the character just won't grab a ledge.

I suppose. I also forgot how much I FUCKING HATE the climbing in this game. Is DL2 just as bad with refusing to grab a ledge when you jump toward it? Died several times on the goddamn bridge tower because the character just won't grab a ledge.
No, DL2 is pretty much if you see it, you can climb it, assuming you have the stamina.

No, DL2 is pretty much if you see it, you can climb it, assuming you have the stamina.
As has been my experience. A surface that you can't grab will be obviously flat in appearance. I guess it makes it more fun, but I feel the way the first game handled it was more realistic. The first game did have a tendency to do some bullshit in areas that it didn't want you to climb, though. I haven't really experienced anything of that nature in DL2 outside the invisible walls in the intro area.

PC update v1.2 is now out.

Story Progression Fixes

• All known cases with "Deathloops" eliminated.
  • Fixed blocks in multiple quests - Into The Dark, Assassination, Sophie in The Raid Quest, Hubert in The Only Way Out, Veronika, Nightrunners, The Lost Light, Double Time.
  • Solved problems with safe zones (in-game clock stops, can't sleep).

Co-op Fixes

• Stability issues fixed: crashes or black screens in certain situations
  • Numerous story progress blocks fixed
  • Fixed issues with accepting invites
  • Challenges issues fixed: no weapon when inventory full, difficulty balance improved, tools requirements properly handled
  • Fixed co-op parties spawning in distant places
  • Improved/fixed replication of city open world activities: windmills, hanging cages, loot chests, NPC rescue issues
  • Fixed enemies and players falling through the ground in certain situations
  • Several performance drops fixed

Nightrunner Tools Fixes

• Paraglider and Grappling Hook upgrades can be applied correctly for players that obtained them during cooperative sessions.
  • PK Crossbow reward is correctly given to players in cooperative mode. This fix will prevent new cases from appearing.

Important Combat Improvements

• Improved Biter behavior during the day. The enemy latches onto the players more frequently which diversifies enemy encounters.
  • Performance of blunt weapons improved to reflect the sense of weight.
  • Improved enemy reaction depending on the type of weapon - to better reflect the weight of the weapon.
  • Human opponents can now block players' attacks during light hit reaction time.
  • Light hit reactions for human enemies have been shortened.

New ragdoll's behaviors.

• Opponents enter ragdolls more often.
  • Ragdoll works more naturally.
  • Ragdoll behaves differently depending on the used weapon type.
  • Appropriate forces are applied when falling from a height and when hitting different parts of the body while maintaining the force given from the direction of the blow.
  • When a ragdoll collides with its surroundings - the appropriate sound and FXs are played depending on the surface the body falls on.
  • Improved spikes detection. The enemy is now always stamped on the spikes after a hit. Additionally spikes audio feedback is now improved and new FXs were added (displayed based on the body's physical momentum).

Night Improvements and Balance

• Howler's senses range increased.
  • Increased the Howler resistance to range weapons.
  • The chase is triggered when a Howler is hit by a ranged weapon and is still alive.
  • Volatiles come out of hiding spots faster during the chase.
  • Level 4 of the chase is now more difficult.

UI/UX Improvements

• Survivor Sense now works correctly and can be triggered without any cooldowns after getting hit or performing specific parkour actions.
  • Improvements to the Options Menu information architecture incl. a dedicated Accessibility Tab.
  • Added feature to show, hide or dynamically display Player Health Bar, Item Selector, and Time of Day Indicator.
  • The dynamic setting for Player Health Bar is the new default and hides the bar when the player is at 100% health.
  • The dynamic setting for Item Selector is the new default. The Item Selector becomes visible when in combat and when performing combat actions or using D-Pad.
  • The dynamic setting for the Time of Day Indicator is the new default setting. The Time of Day Indicator becomes visible during day-night transitional periods.
  • All of the widgets that are set Hidden or Dynamic become visible in Extended HUD.
  • Visual Improvements to Player HP and Stamina bars. These elements are lighter and their colors are more neutral.
  • Visual Improvements to the enemies' stance meter to more clearly indicate its connection to blunt weapons.

Improvements to the Final Boss Fight

• Fixed an issue where the opponent does not react correctly to other players and does not change behavior that might lead to several glitches during CO-OP play.
  • Alternate opponent behaviors in Phase 2 during CO-OP play.
  • Opponent performs area attacks more frequently during CO-OP sessions.
  • Shortening the narrative scenes between the phases in a boss fight.
  • Boss fight pacing improvements.

Outro Improvements

• Improvements of the game endings sequences. Additional end-of-game scenes have been added to better align gameplay and outro scenes.

Balance Tweaks

• Higher Rank Bows are now more easily accessible at Merchants and in the world.
  • Banshees and Chargers are now more easily spotted in the Infected hordes during the night.

Technical Improvements

• Introduced high-performance preset that optimizes the displayed graphics which allows you to play Dying Light 2 on older computers and laptops.
  • PC DX12 cache-related improvements. The game now works smoother upon the first launch.
  • AVX technology is no longer used in the game, improving issues related to a game crashing on the launch.
  • Improvements in outdoor lighting.
  • Improvements to sun shadows.
  • Improvements to spotlight shadows.
  • Improvements to Motion Blur - added intensity and distance blur customization.

Brutality Pack

• Player hits with sharp weapons are now more precise and allow Players to chop off body parts of opponents and cut them in half more easily (vertically and horizontally).
  • Reworked audio for enemy hit response - different sounds are played depending on the strength of the hit and the damage the player deals.
  • Blood splats on the ground appear when Player hits the opponent.
  • If a player is close to the enemy during the attacks, the opponent's blood will splash on the screen.
  • Improved blood effects on enemy bodies after hits.
  • A dead enemy is now interactive and reacts accurately to blows and injuries.
  • A new effect of bloodstains on the enemies' bodies after hit.
  • New blood FXs have been added.

Sounds like the patch we've been waiting for. My time is now split between Elden Ring and Gran Turismo 7, though, so I'll have to come back to it later.

PC update v1.2 is now out
  • AVX technology is no longer used in the game, improving issues related to a game crashing on the launch.

interesting that AVX causes so many issues...it's been around long enough for developers to get a handle on it

interesting that AVX causes so many issues...it's been around long enough for developers to get a handle on it
I don't think the developers are the problem. The people who are running decade-old CPUs are. Literally every new release that uses AVX instructions has a cadre of cheap bastards howling on the Steam forums about it shortly following release.

I don't think the developers are the problem. The people who are running decade-old CPUs are. Literally every new release that uses AVX instructions has a cadre of cheap bastards howling on the Steam forums about it shortly following release.

I was using a decade old i7 980X up until early 2021...I was surprised that I was able to run every single new game even though I didn't have the latest CPU instructions...at least now gaming is forcing you to upgrade to the latest tech (Windows 11, DirectStorage etc)

Makes you wonder if removing AVX reduces performance in some way though. I guess not, but honestly it seems silly to me that there are people trying to play a game this demanding with a CPU without AVX support. That's an old ass system at this point if you don't have AVX support. To me, it would be like complaining that you can't play Quake 3 because you don't have a GPU on your ancient Pentium Pro system.

Makes you wonder if removing AVX reduces performance in some way though. I guess not, but honestly it seems silly to me that there are people trying to play a game this demanding with a CPU without AVX support. That's an old ass system at this point if you don't have AVX support. To me, it would be like complaining that you can't play Quake 3 because you don't have a GPU on your ancient Pentium Pro system.
I honestly don't know if any game released up to now does any processor-related tasks where AVX is an advantage outside of streamlining the code. SSE is probably still plenty fast enough to do the kinds of things games are doing.

Dying Light 2 Stay Human is getting a series of new parkour challenges this week that will test all your skills – jumping, climbing, swinging, swimming, paragliding, and more...

Techland is preparing to release Dying Light 2 Update 3 by the end of this month across all platforms, and according to the developer, it will be one of the largest patches to date...in addition to including numerous fixes for the game's single player and multiplayer mode, update #3 will also introduce the highly requested, and already confirmed, New Game+ mode...

https://twitter.com/DyingLightGame/status/1511339506036842507

Back