Dying Light 2

This is me right now. I haven't bothered to meet up with Hakon the first time after the hospital yet. I think I've done all I can in the first map areas at this point, though, so I'll see what he wants tonight. Then the cycle will start over :ROFLMAO:.

1644255691369.png

This is me right now. I haven't bothered to meet up with Hakon the first time after the hospital yet. I think I've done all I can in the first map areas at this point, though, so I'll see what he wants tonight. Then the cycle will start over :ROFLMAO:.

View attachment 441783
Hah, same. I've become Roof Paladin or something saving everyone I don't know, but inexplicably not rushing to save my sibling. Because game.

In reality I would have made a railgun hole through everyone dumb enough to be in the path to my sibling and the credits would be rolling now.

I still think DL1 was a better game in many ways, personally. My key complaint with this game right now is that it's too easy even on Hard. You can run around at night with near impunity as long as you don't screw up and fall into the streets. In DL1 if you were out at night.. It was terrifying. It was unforgiving. I just don't feel that from this game, which ruins the immersion some.

Just had a small update which fixes remapping mouse buttons. I tested this and it is now working properly.
So, it looks like you can map mouse buttons properly. But, if you switch right click to anything. You are unable to switch Block to anything.

So far, Block and Binoculars assignments are still hardcoded.

I may pick this up eventually on a sale. It does make me want to replay the first game, though.

I still think DL1 was a better game in many ways, personally. My key complaint with this game right now is that it's too easy even on Hard. You can run around at night with near impunity as long as you don't screw up and fall into the streets. In DL1 if you were out at night.. It was terrifying. It was unforgiving. I just don't feel that from this game, which ruins the immersion some.
I was feeling that, as well. But the density of zombies on the streets is pretty crazy. I have never felt really tense running around at night like I did in the first game, though. Howlers can be taken out really quickly and Volatiles don't even come out unless you're in a level 4 chase or exploring high-level dark areas during the day. I feel kind of pissed at the people who were complaining about night being "too scary" now. The immunity mechanic isn't a replacement for being terrified of the random Volatiles roaming the streets.

I was feeling that, as well. But the density of zombies on the streets is pretty crazy. I have never felt really tense running around at night like I did in the first game, though. Howlers can be taken out really quickly and Volatiles don't even come out unless you're in a level 4 chase or exploring high-level dark areas during the day. I feel kind of pissed at the people who were complaining about night being "too scary" now. The immunity mechanic isn't a replacement for being terrified of the random Volatiles roaming the streets.
IMO, an easy fix for me would be having a random mix of howlers/volatiles on the roof tops.

It is a VERY different feel at night for sure. Remember that sound they played in DL1 when the sun set, and he looked at his watch with an "oh crap"? That feeling was real. Oh snap, I was doing a mission, and now I'm far from home. This is going to be a ball of shit. I might not make it. That was fun.

To a first order, the new model fails the premise of "Dying Light", where nighttime is a Really Bad Time. Now it is largely bonus XP.

I still really like the game, but I do feel they nerfed that Oh Shit of night time, at least to my progression level.

So, it looks like you can map mouse buttons properly. But, if you switch right click to anything. You are unable to switch Block to anything.

Hmm.

Does anyone else use highly customized controls in this game?

I tried setting it up, but it won't let me move buttons that are usually bound to keys to mouse buttons. If I click on the key bind and click on a mouse button nothing happens. Then if I hit escape it shows up as a mouse button (but not mouse 2, instead some nonsense like Mouse B4085). OK, Looks like it should work, but when you exit the menu and save your changes the mouse button binds aren't persistent.

Next time I look in the bind menu they are back to the default keybind.

Also, I have not found any way to change the "alt" key's use for expert grappling hook controls.

Making any key used in game customizably bound to any available input device should be a very basic expectation in 2022.

It's annoying that it is not.

I bought the game just to test it out and maybe benchmark it (I need to finish another game first before I take this one on).

I am considering requesting a refund until they fix the shitty keybinds.

For fucks sake, I need my mouse2 for jumping, and since I use arrow keys for directionals (never understand why all games suddenly switched to WASD after getting it right the first time with Arrow Keys. WASD never made any sense to me) I need to be able to rebind everything that needs to be used in game to the right hand side of the keyboard. No left ctrl, or left alt.. That's just not going to work.

They need to fix this ASAP if they want my money.

Last edited:
Hmm.

I tried setting it up, but it won't let me move buttons that are usually bound to keys to mouse buttons. If I click on the key bind and click on a mouse button nothing happens. Then if I hit escape it shows up as a mouse button (but not mouse 2, instead some nonsense like Mouse B4085). OK, Looks like it should work, but when you exit the menu and save your changes the mouse button binds aren't persistent.

Also, I have not found any way to change the "alt" key's use for expert grappling hook controls.

Making any key used in game customizably bound to any available input device should be a very basic expectation in 2022.

You're infected. Sometimes controls don't work.

<sheepish grin>

Hmm.

I bought the game just to test it out and maybe benchmark it (I need to finish another game first before I take this one on).

I am considering requesting a refund until they fix the shitty keybinds.

For fucks sake, I need my mouse2 for jumping, and since I use arrow keys for directionals (never understand why all games suddenly switched to WASD after getting it right the first time with Arrow Keys. WASD never made any sense to me) I need to be able to rebind everything that needs to be used in game to the right hand side of the keyboard. No left ctrl, or left alt.. That's just not going to work.

They need to fix this ASAP if they want my money.

So, I just checked again. As soon as I opened Steam a ~240MB update downloaded.

Now it behaves like Brackle describes, where Mouse2 can be bound, but there is no menu option to bind "Block" to any other key, so you simply lose the ability to block if you use Mouse2 for anything else.

Also, there is no menu option to bind the expert grappling hook function to anything other than its default left Alt.

I have now requested a refund, and described why. I'm not holding out hope that they will fix it, but you never know.

So, I just checked again. As soon as I opened Steam a ~240MB update downloaded.

Now it behaves like Brackle describes, where Mouse2 can be bound, but there is no menu option to bind "Block" to any other key, so you simply lose the ability to block if you use Mouse2 for anything else.

Also, there is no menu option to bind the expert grappling hook function to anything other than its default left Alt.

I have now requested a refund, and described why. I'm not holding out hope that they will fix it, but you never know.
You can edit the controls by editing the data0.pak file. Which I have done for Block. BUT, it is still a pain in the ass. Hardcoded keybindings should not be present in a PC game at all. Blow's my mind that this was not thought of before releasing the game.

I haven't played one lately, but there used to be separate programs you'd have to download to remap like half of the actions in Battlefield 3 and 4. I hate that sort of thing and it isn't exclusive to PC games. Console games love taking a control scheme that's 90% the same as everything else...but changing one 100% essential thing that will get you killed. Of course there's no way to remap it either.

If you've got something like a Logitech keyboard it's pretty easy with their software to set a specific profile for DL2 to have a mousebutton map to the B key for instance, etc.

Left Finger of gLoVa Weapon Blueprint Location Guide (Developer Room Easter Egg)

Big open world games are a great place for developers to hide secrets, and in this case Techland has hidden an entire room filled with references to past Techland games and the blueprint for a weapon called The Left Finger of gloVa—which is a nod to The Left Hand of gloVA, a weapon from Dead Island, and The Right Hand of gloVA, a weapon from the original Dying Light...

Anyone else having a hard time abetting o the FOV setting? Something just feels off about it in general and I can't find a setting which feels right.

Anyone else having a hard time abetting o the FOV setting? Something just feels off about it in general and I can't find a setting which feels right.
One of the annoyances to me is that the FOV gets narrower when you enter a settlement. I'm pretty sure it didn't do that in the first game. Otherwise the default +0 feels fine to me.

One of the annoyances to me is that the FOV gets narrower when you enter a settlement. I'm pretty sure it didn't do that in the first game. Otherwise the default +0 feels fine to me.
I didn't notice it before, but that is the issue, I end up adjusting it when I go into a settlement and then after leaving it at some point.

I wish the final game looked less cartoony and more like 2018 demo.

Mmmmmmmmmonster downgrade!

Once you see them side by side the color tone on the retail release just looks so cartoony and exaggerated. Much prefer the E3 demos.

The textures and models in the E3 demo were not finished, and it was using the old lighting model. The final game looks a lot better. Now one can argue if the buildings would really be that overgrown after 15 years, but you also have survivors that have planted vegetation on the roofs themselves.

Anyone get vertigo from the parachuting?
I'm picking this game up going to look for a 3rd party site first.

The textures and models in the E3 demo were not finished, and it was using the old lighting model. The final game looks a lot better. Now one can argue if the buildings would really be that overgrown after 15 years, but you also have survivors that have planted vegetation on the roofs themselves.
I don't really get the criticism. The game looks and runs outstanding on the PC. Sure, stuff could always look better, but at what cost? What game out there has this good of lighting/shadows while still running smooth? The closest is Metro, but Metro doesn't even look this good and has way less going on in a scene. Cyberpunk only looks good in very specific areas where they spent a ton of time, and the raytracing was slapped on after the fact since the baked lighting in these high-attention areas looks just as good anyways.

So here's a hot tip for everyone.... in the very south of central city, there is a flooded part of town... with lots and lots of lootable airdrops (sadly without the military tech) underwater. the items are level 7 and 8 and are extremely OP in midgame, if you are into that sort of thing

Anyone get vertigo from the parachuting?
I'm picking this game up going to look for a 3rd party site first.
not really. parachuting is pretty smooth going, especially once you get it upgraded.
the thing im really struggling with is fear of heights. all the windmills you have to unlock, all the jumping puzzles on skyscrapers. clammy hands, stresses me out to no end.

I miss the terrifying nights, hoping that picked up as the game progresses.

I haven't made it to the second zone yet. I'm hoping it does, because I believe the second zone has taller buildings and it's harder to just crawl up to safety like in the first zone.

Either way i'm enjoying it, but yeah, the coolest aspect of the first game just isn't here IMO.

not really. parachuting is pretty smooth going, especially once you get it upgraded.
the thing im really struggling with is fear of heights. all the windmills you have to unlock, all the jumping puzzles on skyscrapers. clammy hands, stresses me out to no end.
The stress comes more from hating to die because of a lethal fall, to me. That is how I die most in both games. I have yet to get enough parkour XP to unlock the safe fall perk in DL2.

I haven't made it to the second zone yet. I'm hoping it does, because I believe the second zone has taller buildings and it's harder to just crawl up to safety like in the first zone.

Either way i'm enjoying it, but yeah, the coolest aspect of the first game just isn't here IMO.

Its a great game, but part of me wonders if the fear will come back. Most of us know that the first game made a HUGE deal about being back by night, the atmosphere changed dramatically, and the sound effect that kicked it off always brought a bit of fear.

In this game the atmosphere stays the same, and no sound effect kicks off night.

Its a great game, but part of me wonders if the fear will come back. Most of us know that the first game made a HUGE deal about being back by night, the atmosphere changed dramatically, and the sound effect that kicked it off always brought a bit of fear.

In this game the atmosphere stays the same, and no sound effect kicks off night.
There is the air raid siren, but nothing like the blood-curdling screech of the first game. There is ambient screaming and what not to be heard while exploring during the night, but it doesn't have the same impact of the creepy chords and incessant huffing and sniffing of the Volatiles.

I like the idea of the Revenants in this game, but I think it would be much cooler if they were not relegated to an enclosed arena. It would be neat if you had to investigate the surrounding area and hunt for the pile of bodies that it is hiding in, and they could pop up at any moment to be a real threat. So far I have been able to kill the Revenants by getting in their face and mindlessly swinging my weapon nonstop.

if you get a chase going to level 3 of 4 those big bastards come out, and they are terrifying for sure, but if youre camping in the back of a truck, they will just stop coming after a certain amount of kills....

if you get a chase going to level 3 of 4 those big bastards come out, and they are terrifying for sure, but if youre camping in the back of a truck, they will just stop coming after a certain amount of kills....
Its not even close to this

Just the beep beep, then the sound, you knew you where in for shit and very little in the game was more tense than being stuck far from a safehouse.

I love how everything felt different at night in DL1 but the fear of night really didn’t last all that long. Even before you hit mid-game you can already explore at night with the only real concern being whether or not you’re going to run out of weapons. Fighting at night becomes more of a chore than being frightening, but the XP bonuses make it worth it.

Still, it’s too bad they moved away from that with 2, I love how tense the early game in DL1 was.

Back