Dying Light 2

so it seems the 500 hour hype was mainly because the game only has 1 save slot...so to get all the endings, conversations etc you need to replay the entire game...seems like a solid 40 hour game for 1 playthrough

This game maxed out is no joke! I'm running it at 4K with all the ray tracing enabled, DLSS set to balanced and I can't hit 60fps consistently. I'm using a RTX 3090.

This game maxed out is no joke! I'm running it at 4K with all the ray tracing enabled, DLSS set to balanced and I can't hit 60fps consistently. I'm using a RTX 3090.

do the graphics match the performance hit?...meaning does it look that good maxed out?

I believe testers/reviewers need to run new benchmarks. When I downloaded the game on my 1gbps fiber really fast, the 1.0.3 patch wasn't available yet. I played for a couple hours, exited, and the patch was available. With this release patch applied the game seems to run a lot better. That or it's just placebo, or maybe they tweaked the render resolution of the DLSS settings. However, it seems like reviewers were on version 1.0.2.

And yes, I think the level of performance here matches the graphics. The lighting/shadows/effects in this game are really good. Some of the textures are a bit lower resolution than i'd like, that would be my only real complaint with the graphics. That and the lack of HDR. A game like this really needs HDR support.

As far as the gameplay, i'm enjoying it quite a bit. There are random encounters that spawn frequently around you, and plenty of other side quests. If you enjoyed the first game you'll enjoy this one.

Finally, i've encountered absolutely no bugs. No graphics glitches, nothing. The game is far better than most other big open world games are at release.

this looks like a game developed from the ground up for PC...total PC juggernaut...seems like you need at least a 3080 GPU for the best experience (in terms of eye candy)...I'm still going to wait until after Elden Ring to start this but I'm tempted

Last edited:
this looks like a game where a 3080 is actually required for the best experience...total PC graphics showcase...I'm still going to wait until after Elden Ring to start this but I'm tempted
At 4k a 3080 isn't going to be enough if you want all the RT features enabled, unless you're willing to suffer with DLSS performance. This is the rare case where I believe a 3080ti will have a decent leg up on even a 3080 12GB since the RT features are so heavy.

At 4k a 3080 isn't going to be enough if you want all the RT features enabled, unless you're willing to suffer with DLSS performance. This is the rare case where I believe a 3080ti will have a decent leg up on even a 3080 12GB since the RT features are so heavy.

I have a 3080 and 1440p display...I think that should be enough to max it out with RTX enabled

3080 Ti FE (undervolted) and 12700KF here, 3440x1440 with everything ultra raytraced and DLSS quality getting average around 70fps nominal. Rather pleased and RT makes a heck of a difference.

RTX on vs off:
RTX-off.jpg

RTX on:
RTX-on.jpg

RTX off:
RTX-off_2.jpg

RTX on:
RTX-on_2.jpg

RTX off:
RTX-on_3.jpg

RTX on:
RTX-off_3.jpg

RTX off:
RTX-off_4.jpg

RTX on:
RTX-on_4.jpg

I did record my first 43 minutes or so of playtime too with RTX on throughout, no issues with frame drops etc and it looks fantastic in motion.

Game runs bad maxed out on 12900K 5400Mhz and RTX 3080 at 4K but I will play the game at 1080p it is a little better,played two hours so far ,game is boring as fuck.Hope it gets better.

4K DLSS Performance Max Ray Tracing can hit below 50FPS
DL2-Bad-FPS.jpg

Game runs bad maxed out on 12900K 5400Mhz and RTX 3080 at 4K but I will play the game at 1080p it is a little better,played two hours so far ,game is boring as fuck.Hope it gets better.

4K DLSS Performance Max Ray Tracing can hit below 50FPS

why play at 1080p??...why not just play at 4K and lower some of the graphical settings?

Well I was planning on getting this, but then they added denuvo into it so Ill wait a bit and see how it goes.

The performance seems to be exactly where it should be given the level of detail/features of the graphics. You don't need to enable RT if you don't want to, and that will give it the performance levels one would expect.
Well now that DF has posted their PC video with side-by-side comparisons of RT on/off, the performance results look a lot less awful.

Actually, I caved and bought the game after seeing the DF video show off the RT GI. I'm about 2 hours in, and so far enjoying it. The only thing I'm disappointed with is the lack of HDR support (Windows Auto HDR doesn't work either).

Also, for my fellow ultrawide users, Flawless Widescreen has a plugin out for the game now. I haven't tried it out yet, but hopefully it works well enough.

Well now that DF has posted their PC video with side-by-side comparisons of RT on/off, the performance results look a lot less awful.

Actually, I caved and bought the game after seeing the DF video show off the RT GI. I'm about 2 hours in, and so far enjoying it. The only thing I'm disappointed with is the lack of HDR support (Windows Auto HDR doesn't work either).

Also, for my fellow ultrawide users, Flawless Widescreen has a plugin out for the game now. I haven't tried it out yet, but hopefully it works well enough.
Yeah, I can’t figure out why autohdr isn’t working in this game. I thought it worked on every DX12+ game, but it must only work with certain major engines like UE.

No HDR here really sucks, because this game would really look gorgeous with it.

The game is definitely a looker, but I'm not sure on the game itself as of it. I had to stop and go to sleep before I was able to finish the GRE hospital segment at the beginning of the game. But a couple annoyances have already popped up:
  • Invisible walls that actually have collision you can observe when you swing your weapon if you try to traverse outside the area leading to the radio tower at the beginning (I was trying to see if I could get up on top one of the other broken bridge segments).
  • The game kills you if you stray outside of the "mission area" for a mere 5 seconds. Might be just for the introductory part of the game, but this seems very odd for a supposedly open world game. Hopefully that goes away once you get your biomarker.
Even though I generally dislike dialogue wheels, your player character actually says what the wheel option says when you choose it. There is no ambiguity there. It also seems like they made it more treacherous to traverse the game at night with the volume of biters that roam around and the new howler zombie type.
Game looks incredible. Absolutely the new graphics benchmark. The raytraced sun shadows are the biggest performance killer.

Only disappointment so far is no HDR.
It doesn't even have HDR on the console versions. It seems to be an extremely odd omission in this day and age. With how good the game looks HDR would absolutely send it over the top.
do the graphics match the performance hit?...meaning does it look that good maxed out?
Yes, it looks amazing. The ray traced global illumination and ambient occlusion add an amazing amount of depth to the image. It seems like the gameplay slice in the first hour was curated to show off what a graphic powerhouse the game is because I involuntarily said "wow" before the game even gave me control.

seems like Global Illumination makes the biggest impact in terms of RTX features- same with Metro Exodus...in Dying Light 2 even the flashlight has its own separate RTX setting

The game is definitely a looker, but I'm not sure on the game itself as of it. I had to stop and go to sleep before I was able to finish the GRE hospital segment at the beginning of the game. But a couple annoyances have already popped up:
  • Invisible walls that actually have collision you can observe when you swing your weapon if you try to traverse outside the area leading to the radio tower at the beginning (I was trying to see if I could get up on top one of the other broken bridge segments).
  • The game kills you if you stray outside of the "mission area" for a mere 5 seconds. Might be just for the introductory part of the game, but this seems very odd for a supposedly open world game. Hopefully that goes away once you get your biomarker.
Even though I generally dislike dialogue wheels, your player character actually says what the wheel option says when you choose it. There is no ambiguity there. It also seems like they made it more treacherous to traverse the game at night with the volume of biters that roam around and the new howler zombie type.

It doesn't even have HDR on the console versions. It seems to be an extremely odd omission in this day and age. With how good the game looks HDR would absolutely send it over the top.

Yes, it looks amazing. The ray traced global illumination and ambient occlusion add an amazing amount of depth to the image. It seems like the gameplay slice in the first hour was curated to show off what a graphic powerhouse the game is because I involuntarily said "wow" before the game even gave me control.
The game is fairly on-rails until you're done with that hospital. So I wouldn't judge it much until you're free to explore.

The lack of HDR is strange for a AAA title in 2022. That's been the standard for at least 3-4 years for anything with a budget. I wonder if they'll bother to add it later, or why it was left out.

The game seems to be using a stricter version of Denuvo:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/skehps/the_denuvo_drm_implementation_in_dying_light_2_is

"Here comes the problem with the DRM which is specific to Dying Light 2. The activation key becomes void after every computer restart so the user must go through the re-activation process again every time. This process also slows down your game boot times by a considerable amount. Combined with the fact that only 5 activations a day are possible, it shouldn't be too soon before we start seeing cases of players being locked out of the game."

The lack of HDR is strange for a AAA title in 2022. That's been the standard for at least 3-4 years for anything with a budget. I wonder if they'll bother to add it later, or why it was left out.
My guess is given they are a lower-budget studio they likely just didn't have the equipment to develop the game with HDR. Also, this game has likely been in development for 5-6 years at this point. I believe they've been working on this game since only a year after the release of the last one, and honestly, the level of polish i'm seeing with a game of this massive size really shows it's had solid development for quite a while.

I've had zero crashes, zero performance/stutter issues, zero gameplay bugs, etc. Most other games of this quality I typically get crashing (Metro), or it's just a pile of shit at release (cyberpunk).

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/skehps/the_denuvo_drm_implementation_in_dying_light_2_is

"Here comes the problem with the DRM which is specific to Dying Light 2. The activation key becomes void after every computer restart so the user must go through the re-activation process again every time. This process also slows down your game boot times by a considerable amount. Combined with the fact that only 5 activations a day are possible, it shouldn't be too soon before we start seeing cases of players being locked out of the game."

This is stupid.

I'll probably wait on this. I liked the first game ok but I only paid $20 or so for it. When you take away the gorgeous visuals it doesn't seem like there is much more here vs what the first game brought to the table. I can wait.

The good thing at least is it doesn't seem to be suffering any performance issues like a few other notable releases recently. I was wondering why the screen stayed black for around 15 seconds when transitioning from the splash screens to the main menu, though.
This is stupid.

I'll probably wait on this. I liked the first game ok but I only paid $20 or so for it. When you take away the gorgeous visuals it doesn't seem like there is much more here vs what the first game brought to the table. I can wait.
Do you reboot your PC more than 5 times a day?

The good thing at least is it doesn't seem to be suffering any performance issues like a few other notable releases recently. I was wondering why the screen stayed black for around 15 seconds when transitioning from the splash screens to the main menu, though.

No. I'm going to keep tabs on the feedback in this thread.

A few years ago it was "Do you change your hardware 5 times a day?"
Goalposts being shifted. A few years from now it will be "Do you restart Steam 5 times a day?" Eventually, "Do you launch the game 5 times a day?"

Someone who is having issues with their PC, say with drivers or with Dying Light 2 itself, could easily reboot 5 times a day.

The issue was discovered by GFN users who were locked out after starting the game 5 times, each time requiring a new key. This will have to be fixed.

This is stupid.

I haven't had any issues. The first startup takes a few seconds longer, but it's not a big deal. The game already loads so fast as it is.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
People have been selling "Offline Mode" Denuvo games for a few bucks a pop, I'm guessing Denuvo made this change to stop them.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
A few years ago it was "Do you change your hardware 5 times a day?"
Goalposts being shifted. A few years from now it will be "Do you restart Steam 5 times a day?" Eventually, "Do you launch the game 5 times a day?"

Someone who is having issues with their PC, say with drivers or with Dying Light 2 itself, could easily reboot 5 times a day.

The issue was discovered by GFN users who were locked out after starting the game 5 times, each time requiring a new key. This will have to be fixed.
Just had a read through the thread. With regards to GeForce NOW, it would make sense since every time you start the game you are likely on a different node. Since you are using your Steam account to play the game through GFN, Denuvo is interpreting this as an entirely new PC on your account. Seems to me that this isn't about rebooting your PC, but about streaming services representing a new PC each time. Is there any case of a user reporting being locked out of the game from simply rebooting their own PC and playing the game locally more than 5 times? The OP stated they did some weird methodology with offline mode and whatnot, not actually testing the veracity of their own claims by literally rebooting their PC more than 5 times.

Seems like typical Reddit rage bait, to me.

the 5 activations a day seems to only apply to Geforce Now

That or 5 per day if it detects different hardware which might make sense if they allow the game to be shared on your steam library. Some games don't even allow steam to do that, so this is a good middle-ground solution.

That or 5 per day if it detects different hardware which might make sense if they allow the game to be shared on your steam library. Some games don't even allow steam to do that, so this is a good middle-ground solution.
This could explain why we havent seen any benchmark reviews for the game yet. 5 times a day switching out GPU's and CPU's.....what a headache that would be lol.

So, not being an ass, but other then streamers. Do a lot of people actually use Geforce Now?

This could explain why we havent seen any benchmark reviews for the game yet. 5 times a day switching out GPU's and CPU's.....what a headache that would be lol.

So, not being an ass, but other then streamers. Do a lot of people actually use Geforce Now?
No clue. I would never use it personally. Personally, i'd rather just buy a console at that point. People say the latency isn't bad, but I just don't see how that's possible. You've got a bare minimum of at least 30-50ms added to inputs. Hell no. You hit a key, it goes to the server, processing happens, it comes back over the internet again. Yeah, hell no. This isn't using Microsoft Word on a Horizon workstation where the extra latency isn't a big deal..

As for benchmarks, typically, if it's like Windows DRM, just switching a GPU shouldn't cause any issues. It's mostly based off the BIOS/motherboard detected, and if all other components deviate it typically won't trigger the DRM.

Last edited:
Smelled like the usual "denuvo kills your SSD!" FUD and misinformation bullshit as soon as I opened and skimmed that reddit thread. And it's got 1.1k upvotes no less, which tells you misinformation isn't just something people want drip-fed to them daily, but demand.

Remember kids, the key to writing anti-denuvo FUD - and where that Typical-Juggernaut kid messed up - is make sure its something not easy to disprove.

Last edited:
Back