Micron Mouse
Belkin kvm switch for 2 computers
10 ft moniter extension cable
6 ft monster s-vid cable
some pens and pencils
travel usb hub

My brother got sum kick @$$ creative speakers with a whole lot of bass
and some wireless mouses

also in the dumpster was a Microsoft Wired Router that was chipped on the corner. I left that there.

Also a few days ago I got a filing cabinet.

Also the best day to go is after christmas when everyone returns the items they already got or dont need. :)

Also I went into my staples and saw a 19" LCD. It is probally gonna end up in the dumpster in the next few days.

WGER THE HELL DID YOU GO THATS NOT LOCKED :confused: :mad:

What city are you? There is no fence so the one I go to is never locked. They just recently did construction in the back and had to move the dumpster away so on the loading dock is where they keep all the trash.

Im going there again after school today. I saw a desk that looks good and they are probally throwing that out tomorow.

Also if anyone wants to buy the 2 port kvm switch from me for $20 shipped, pm me. It is made by belkin.

Im in Los Angeles
San fernando Valley area
they lock all of em up cuz of all the beaners probably :mad:

Well, my town isnt that big and it doesnt seem to be a problem so they dont need to build a cage for it. Were you are it is probally more of a city setting were gangs and other people hang out. I am in a town which there are no gangs so It isnt a problem.

Yesterday I went and it was empty. The always seem to empty it thurday morning.

c0ex said:
Well, my town isnt that big and it doesnt seem to be a problem so they dont need to build a cage for it. Were you are it is probally more of a city setting were gangs and other people hang out. I am in a town which there are no gangs so It isnt a problem.

Today I went and it was empty. The always seem to empty it thurday morning.
thursdays are usually 'trash day' for a lot of places...

Yesterday when i went there was two men standing in the back wearing normal cloth's. As soon as we went near the dumpster, they both took out there cell phones. I told my friends and we backed away. About a few minutes later some staples employees came out. We went back later and those two guys were still talking to the staples employees. This was weird. Does anyone know if staples hire's privite security or private invesigators to find out who is going in there dumpster.?

wow that is weird...i dont know i for sure but i am pretty sure that our staples has a compactor

c0ex said:
Yesterday when i went there was two men standing in the back wearing normal cloth's. As soon as we went near the dumpster, they both took out there cell phones. I told my friends and we backed away. About a few minutes later some staples employees came out. We went back later and those two guys were still talking to the staples employees. This was weird. Does anyone know if staples hire's privite security or private invesigators to find out who is going in there dumpster.?

Oh No's ! It's the feds!! RUN!!! :eek:

Oh No's ! It's the feds!! RUN!!!

lol. Today they werent there! :(

Anyways the dumpster only had two black bags in in which are from the apartments next door. I think those guys were the people whole just paved the parkinglot back there and the staples employees were looking for my careless friends who open up packages of business cards and started throwing them around the parking in the autumn wind along with the autumn rain causing a mess. I wasnt there, but someone told me they were doing that so I went and yelled at them at school today.

OT
I think in the next week or so im gonna apply for a job at staples and get all the stuff they throw away!

Wow. DD sounds so effing interesting. I wanna go for a couple of runs. Anyone in the Fairfax, Virginia area? I dont wanna go alone. :cool:

anyone in Fort Worth wanna raid the Frys dumpster??? im down!! :D :D

i found an ipod. i was estatic...too bad it was the store demo...no innards... beauty. :rolleyes:

racerjon777 said:
i found an ipod. i was estatic...too bad it was the store demo...no innards... beauty. :rolleyes:
GAH! You had me excited for a second. Too bad it wasn't the real thing. :mad:

My explorer is kinda fucked up for the time being, so I haven't been diving in the past couple weeks. :( I'll get some good dives going in KC when I'm home for break, though.

Well, I once got this 22" CRT dumpster diving. Perfect condition too.

And I got a shit load of motherboards, and an LCD monitor (which I just traded away for something else)

I think I'm gonna go hit some stores tonight. There's about 4 strip malls near my house, all of which have gaming stores and tech stores. Hopefully I'll snag something good. If I do, I'll post some pics.

Not a real dive, but give me a break I was in a suit! I was walking by a dumpster outside of one of the school's buildings and saw a stripped down case in there being covered in snow. There was a couple sticks of RAM in there plus a new processor for an old machine I'm going to turn into a music server. Anybody know what socket a celeron 433 would have used about 6 or 7 years ago? It's so old I can't even remember. Once the parts dry, and I find time to go out to the storage unit and get the machine, I'll see if they are any good.

jpmkm said:
Sounds like a slot1. I hated those.
Bingo! That's it, thanks. I haven't had much of a good experience with them either, but hopefully I can use it.

I went today and got some stuff. I was hopeing there would have been a laptop b/c I saw a hp charger but none in there.

anyway here is what I got
1000 sheets of paper
nice logitech headphones
some sharpies
25 pens
3 pencils(most fell out of my pocket!!!)
paper clips
and some staples

Now I have about a years supply of office supplies!

u8myrice said:
Wow. DD sounds so effing interesting. I wanna go for a couple of runs. Anyone in the Fairfax, Virginia area? I dont wanna go alone. :cool:
I live in FFX and have done it once in a Chantilly industrial park. Hualed off some cool manikins from Ski Chalet and 2 really old laptops that ended up completely obliterated.
I'll probably do it again this week, but go to some electronic stores. This thread really got me interested.

I'm a writer for Orlando Weekly in Florida, and I stumbled across dumpster diving a little bit ago. Now, I'm really interested in writing about it and am looking for anyone in the Central Florida area that I could join for diving.

I realize a lot of divers are wary of talking to reporters, but the Weekly is not like most daily papers. If any of you would be willing to let me tag along, please contact me at the number below. If you're thinking about it, but have concerns, give me a call, and I'll try to address them. Anonymity is not a problem.

Thanks for your time.

James Carlson
Staff Writer
Orlando Weekly
407-377-0400 x235

OTOWN said:
I'm a writer for Orlando Weekly in Florida, and I stumbled across dumpster diving a little bit ago. Now, I'm really interested in writing about it and am looking for anyone in the Central Florida area that I could join for diving.

I realize a lot of divers are wary of talking to reporters, but the Weekly is not like most daily papers. If any of you would be willing to let me tag along, please contact me at the number below. If you're thinking about it, but have concerns, give me a call, and I'll try to address them. Anonymity is not a problem.

Thanks for your time.

James Carlson
Staff Writer
Orlando Weekly
407-377-0400 x235

well, first off, is it legal down there?

and second off, they after everyone reads about it, everyone in florida will be in dumpsters looking for stuff which they will probally cause a mess which will make florida pass a law making it illegal or the stores will all get compactors killing the idea of dumpster diving.

After everyonein the school found out what me and my friend found, they all go looking for stuff too.

vapb400 said:
I live in FFX and have done it once in a Chantilly industrial park. Hualed off some cool manikins from Ski Chalet and 2 really old laptops that ended up completely obliterated.
I'll probably do it again this week, but go to some electronic stores. This thread really got me interested.

If you're gunna do it in the TIlly/FFX area, gimmie a holla. =]

c0ex said:
well, first off, is it legal down there?

and second off, they after everyone reads about it, everyone in florida will be in dumpsters looking for stuff which they will probally cause a mess which will make florida pass a law making it illegal or the stores will all get compactors killing the idea of dumpster diving.

After everyonein the school found out what me and my friend found, they all go looking for stuff too.
That's really the thing that bothers me about dumpster diving articles. I'm not trying to sound like an elitest bastard or anything(far from it), but it's nicer when not many people know about it. As soon as someone prints an article and mentions that someone found a laptop in a dumpster, suddenly everyone thinks they can find cool shit and they all go out and do it, ruining my prospects(and usually making a mess of things in the process).

Sadly, my explorer has been fucked up for a couple weeks(finally took it in tonight), so I have not been diving lately. I'm home for a couple weeks, so hopefully I can get some good diving in around here once I get my car back(we just moved out to the middle of nowhere, so there's absolutely no chance of me being able to walk somewhere. :( )

OTOWN said:

Thanks for your time.

James Carlson
Staff Writer
Orlando Weekly
407-377-0400 x235

Mr. Otown I would agree with some of the other replys. Once you make a story of this little known treasure everyone is going to want to plunder every trash can and alleyway.
The few of us that do do this are respectful to the property owners by not making a mess and returning trash to the containers, as well we seek no trouble from the law. In Florida it is known as abandoned property. hopefully you will decide not to mess up the balance of things.

I found a WORKING video camera. :D WITH A NICE TELEPHOTO LENS TOO!!!!oneoneone1!!!111!!

Charging batteries right now. :cool:

Damn, nice find. I've been out twice this week and found nothing. Hoping to hit paydirt soon though, with the xmas season so close....

Just pulled a complete celly 400 system (complete = whole case with contents), appears to be agp rage2, one stick of sdram (no idea on size - likely small), 4.3gb seagate hdd, 16x cd-rw, all the usuals, etc.

k1114 said:
Just pulled a complete celly 400 system (complete = whole case with contents), appears to be agp rage2, one stick of sdram (no idea on size - likely small), 4.3gb seagate hdd, 16x cd-rw, all the usuals, etc.

fold. fold like the wind.

u8myrice said:
/puts on flame suit

Sorry, but what is "folding"? :rolleyes:
/puts on flame suit

Sorry, but have you "searched"? :p First page on google. Basically, though, it is a distributed project to see how proteins fold.

u8myrice said:
/puts on flame suit

Sorry, but what is "folding"? :rolleyes:

Go to the Distributed Computing subforum here at the [H], we can give you all the info you could ever need or want. A basic summary though: it is a distributed computing project that breaks up work normally done by supercomputers into researching how proteins fold in order to understand how diseases like cancer, Parkinson's, etc. come to be and work, so we can find a cure for them. Anyone's basic computer can take part using only spare CPU cycles and a little internet bandwidth from time to time (to send and receive work)...a very worthwhile cause, you should check it out, again, in the DC subforum here at the [H].

today was the last day of an office max closing.. =D

gonna hit the dumpster early tomorrow and late tomorrow after they close

All of this stuff was found in one dumpster on one night.... it was pretty sweet. We haven’t tested all of the stuff but if your interested in something we can test it for you or you can just take a chance.

Full Systems
All of these didn’t have ram
They did have cd burners, dvd-rom, hdds
Celeron 700
Athlon XP 1800+
Athlon 750
PIII 566
PIII 450
Pentium 133 w/ lcd screen
That was like a box unit like what restaurants use to put in orders

Motherboard Processor Combo-
Ultra IMASS II Network Appliance
Celeron 566 with a Intel MS6315
Celeron 1400 with a Intel D815EFU
PI mobo with chip
Slot 1 PII 450
Intel socket 815 with PIII 1.0 ghz

Motherboards-
4 - socket 478 (1 definitely not working)
1- PC133
3- DDR
Slot 1

Processors
Socket 378 celeron 1ghz
Socket 378 400 mhz Celeron

Various Stuff
Laptop PIII –broke screen
Intel Wireless Router
2- Socket 478 HSF
ATI AIW 7500 w/remote
4-port KVM
2- sticks of PC100
5- monitors
1- laser printer
ISA SCSI card
PCI wireless Ethernet card
Wireless Ehternet laptop card
Custom comp case
10- AC adapters
5- NICs
Wireless print server
Sonic Wall Internet Security Appliance
Netgear Firewall/print server
Some fans
Some cd drives
4- modems
2- VGA cards
1 dual VGA matrox
3- sound card – creative
1- SCSI card
3 sets of Altec Lansing speakers one with sub CFI S969C
Front sound, usb, firewire for a comp not sure what mobo
14 HDDs all about 4 gb all spin up
SATA 80gb hdd
Inline Ethernet Surge Protector

And lots of cables and other little things

Went for my first time last week.

Here's what I got-

17 inch generic beige CRT moniter

Windows 95 IBM PC
-Had to throw it back because it looked like a crater inside. The mobo and everything was burned up and charred.

Went right after all the xmas returns and did pretty damn good.

Everything i got was in working order. Each chair needed parts to be ordered, but they all have 15 year warranties and the warranty dept was happy to assist me :)

Chair 1
Had a small tear on the bottom side in the leather, dab of super glue and cant even tell its there.

Chair 2
Armrest had a small crack in it. Warranty place shipped a new arm rest.

Chair 3
Needed a hardware kit, the warranty place shipped it out and it arrived in 3 days :)

Chair 4
Nothing wrong, was NIB

Laptop Case 1
Was NIB nothing wrong at all, no defects. Cant find it at staples store

Laptop Case 2
Brand new, still had tags. Cant find product at staples store.

Got 2 wireless desktops. Both seem to work fine. They are lower quality, but free :)

About 30 AA batteries. Bunch of Norton software, few pc games (Just CD's, no manuals)
Couple other misc things.

Took about 1.5 hrs to get all the stuff out and into my van :)

<3 staples

Back