Dumpster Diving!

Constanople said:
<3 staples

Lol, I do to!!! That is where i get all my hauls. Anyway today I got a massage chair from staples NIB and WORKING with a damaged stick on it! Lol. Anyway I got a brefcase as well but I gave that to my friend b/c I got one last xmas. I got about 20 dvd+rw and dvd-r as well as ipod back up battery thing that you plug into the bottom of ur ipod NIB.

Also I found a Copy of Train Simulator disc 2 which Im gonna sell to my brothers friend for 5 bucks b/c he found the 1st disc. Anyone interested in paying a little money + shipping for the ipod battery thing, pm me. Will post pics later!

jmag034 said:
is it legal to DD?

It varies by location. You'll have to check to see if your city has a law or an ordinace or something against dumpster diving.

dwilson041781 said:
whens the last time someone posted a pic?

I think some people make up items that they have found.
you should try to pic everything. I understand if you do not pic a letter opener and a CD rack. But if you find a leather office chair, computer desk in good shape, Flat panel, or hydraulic press you should be able to share your post with a pic as well.

jmag034 said:
is it legal to DD?

Yes, as long as you are not breaking any locks or jumping any gates. And remember you still have to deal with that pesky law called Loitering and prowling.

Just leave everything clean or cleaner than the way you found it and you should be fine, and if you get pulled over by police do not lie about what you are doing...tell em you're looking for thrown away junk.

tredlite said:
I think some people make up items that they have found.
you should try to pic everything. I understand if you do not pic a letter opener and a CD rack. But if you find a leather office chair, computer desk in good shape, Flat panel, or hydraulic press you should be able to share your post with a pic as well.

Here are the chairs and laptop cases I made up finding.

i haven't really dumpster dived in awhile.

i usually just looked for wood or metal.make a good score on the last dive by my house.nice piece of wood you could use as a base for a floor,just with some firecracker marks from the local kids.

i got a nice radio that was on the way to be throw out cause it wasn't needed anymore.
some cleaning and tuner cleaner in the knobs,fixed the bent antenna and it was fine.

Radio

For the guy that said most of the people lie, your probally wrong. At the local dumpster I dig out off, you find most of the items that people list here. Most of the time the desks are probally from the dumpster as well as the chairs. A few days ago my friend and I found a chair in its box with all the parts.

Constanople said:

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

I am happy to say the store filling my favorite dumpster is TOTALLY ignoring county requirements about recycling electronics.

Hold onto your shorts, itsa big pic so you can (maybe) see item descriptions

buttloadosheet.JPG

'course some of these items may ACTUALLY BE defective as the RMA tag says, but ya gotta love 'not compatible' and 'wrong item purchased' designations :D

holy assbutt! I know what store I'm including in my rounds tomorrow night. :D

edit: damn, this is the most number of replies(and in such a short period of time) to one post in this thread I have ever seen.

From the looks of the stuff, it looks a bit like someone that works there was going to make a big "score". You just beat them to it. Good job.

Some of that stuff is pretty old, but a few items are quite recent (The Movies, Nero 7).

Tim

weeeeeeel i suppose all those details WERE lost with the previous couple hundred page thread 2 years ago.

CompUSSR dumpster
Southcenter Mall area
Tukwila, Washington (THE STATE!)

alley to the rear of the strip, from the north end go past the Best Buy car stereo installation bay. The area opens up a little and you'll see the semi loading ramp for Compussr at an angle to the road, the cardboard dumpster just past that, and a 6 or 8 yard capacity green dumpster past that.

WATCH OUT for Mall Security. They are pissants about it and have threatened me with report for trespassing. (I actually have had a cop stop and chat with me, HE didnt give a dam) I tend to AVOID parking by the dumpster and walk there during darker times.

i dont hit it often anymore, but it used to be 'returns' and the tech repair/upgrade/service center disposal (also found HDs, MBs, CPUs, printers, DVD drives, CD drives, ad infinatum 2 ad nauseum. Sometimes they try to break things, many times not.

nope i seriously doubt the 'employee gambit'. most are obviously opened and tagged with some kinda 'return date' sticker and frequently presence of RMA tags stuck 2 them state the condition and reason for return.

honestly, if i went twice a week i would get a haul similar at least once a month

Well, I went dding last night....came up with nothing...:( there wasnt much in the dumpsters at all....

This was my night dumpster diving. Hit up a local Staples, Best Buy, Radio Shack and assorted other stores. Got some good random finds!

Radio Shack 3 channel intercom system in box, works
Radio Shack metal detector frame
Wayfinder V2000L Car Electronic compass/thermometer w/ mounting bracket and DC adapter
Random extension/electrical cords

Best Buy had a bunch of TVs and appliances around the dumpster area. Tried to carry off a 27" color TV but it was FREAKING HEAVY. Dropped it on the screen, didn't shatter but scraped up enough that it wasn't worth it to take home. Pity :(

went dumpster diving in one of the bins inside my office and came up with some p3 xeons

Constanople said:
Here are the chairs and laptop cases I made up finding.

I apologize if i came off offensive, was just general speaking.
I know that i have come off with some items that were not in need of posting a pic, but when there was something huge I would post.

But, in any case Great Find!!!!

Bah, fucking cops..

A buddy of mine and I decided to hit a local Staples / Best Buy after making a killing the last time we went...but yeah, apparently one of the employees in the Best Buy (closing up @ 11 PM) saw us and before we knew it, a police car rolled up behind us.

The "looking for boxes" story worked, but yeah, he took our driver's license numbers...was a bit of an asshole about the whole situation, too..."If you ask at Giant Eagle they'll give you boxes, this place hires a private company to ship away their trash."

Left a bad taste in my mouth...we were in a lower class area... and those kinds of cops are the worst. :rolleyes:

However, on a better note, the first time we hit Staples it was a jackpot;

50pack Memorex 16X DVD+R's
25 Sony CD-RW's
Brand new laptop messanger bag
Leather briefcase, brand new; damaged box ... http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...01&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=103242
Desk lamp: http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=10448
3-in-1 steel multifunction pen
Computer desk chair...was too big to fit into the car; http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...ctId=131836&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&cmArea=
Various pens, USB cables, binders, pencils, file cabinets :D

JaYp146 said:
Bah, fucking cops..

A buddy of mine and I decided to hit a local Staples / Best Buy after making a killing the last time we went...but yeah, apparently one of the employees in the Best Buy (closing up @ 11 PM) saw us and before we knew it, a police car rolled up behind us.

The "looking for boxes" story worked, but yeah, he took our driver's license numbers...was a bit of an asshole about the whole situation, too..."If you ask at Giant Eagle they'll give you boxes, this place hires a private company to ship away their trash."

Left a bad taste in my mouth...we were in a lower class area... and those kinds of cops are the worst. :rolleyes:

However, on a better note, the first time we hit Staples it was a jackpot;

50pack Memorex 16X DVD+R's
25 Sony CD-RW's
Brand new laptop messanger bag
Leather briefcase, brand new; damaged box ... http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...01&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=103242
Desk lamp: http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=10448
3-in-1 steel multifunction pen
Computer desk chair...was too big to fit into the car; http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/s...ctId=131836&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&cmArea=
Various pens, USB cables, binders, pencils, file cabinets :D

Nice.

i went scouting, and found some prospects, bestbuy had 4 17-19inch monitors on a pallet, didnt get a chance to get them construction ppl were around, that and checked out staples and compusa dumpsters, but no Dive yet, maybe tonight.(im intrigued about the monitors but def. have my doubts, ill find out soon enough, maybe if theyre still there tonight.)

I'm trying to plan a dive tonight, anyone tell me anything I might be forgetting, just waiting on a partner to tag along, I don't really like flying solo DD'ing.

Checklist:
Gloves
Truck ;)
Flashlight
Knife
Boots

Forgetting anything?

Possible stops: BB (meh hopefully they might not have chunked something good in the compactor), CompUSSR, Staples, Office Depot, Circuit City, a few Mom & Pop's.

def hit up staples. That is where I get all of my finds. Your list seems good, but if you have a camera, bring it along and take pics of your find. Good Luck

ok thing to take while diving, your list:
Gloves
Truck
Flashlight
Knife
Boots
Needs a few things - the gloves - get a pair of work gloves and then put a pair of those yellow dish gloves over them - makes it hard for you to get cut, and won't allow wet "stuff" to get on your hands.
Wear disposable clothes - wear blue jeans or some type of heavy, tear proof pants.
Wear long sleeves or some shirt that is also tough to cut. Dumpsters are nasty places.
flattened boxes - why? In case of Cops, you need a cover story - looking for boxes to help friend move... and you might want the boxes to put stuff in
knee pads might be a good idea too, as you can bang your kees easily getting in/out of dumpster...
ALWAYS go with a second person - you might get stuck in the dumpster, you might get hurt, you might find something that takes two to get out of the dumpster, you may need a look out in some not so nice neighborhoods... ( or for not so nice cops...)

Went last night at 3am, only checked out staples. All i found was a dumpster full of papers :mad:

has anyone done any DD in the ATL area? may want to try out the stores here if there's any prospect of finding something.

i should go check out my area. ive got costco, compussr, pc club *mostlikely nothing*, staples, radioshack, and a few others. about a month ago i saw a nice nice desk sitting outside costco, called up me bro and he picked it up. when i find the time ill check it out and post my findings if any

damn that dude on the last pages haul was awesome i wish i could have found some of that stuff but any way i just read throught this entire thread and its got me all excited i used to do picking up stuff from the side of the road found some ok stuff to like an original star wars millenium falcon toy thing it was huge sold it on ebay for $200 that was when i was like 9 (im 15 now) but i really wanna do someof this stuff soon cus the area i live has eb officeworks kmart and lots of independent small computer shops and cus its a fairly small rural town noone has compactors including the bigf places :D :D :D

Back