Dumpster Diving!

Okay, this wil surprise you all no joke.
3 laptops
1 treo

laptop 1
sony viao
p4
256mb
unkonwn hd
lcd ripped off but found in dumpster and is fine, just gotta install the new moniter cable

laptop 2
averteca or something like that
512 memory
amd 64 processor
lcd ripped off but found in dumpster and damaged
unknown hd

laptop 3
Toshiba
256 mempry
2.8 celeron
unkown hd
lcd attached

All were missing batteries and the chargers so my friend and i found some from previous visits to the dumpster and found one cable that works

friend has the treo. It has games a camera and internet

also was a banged up desk as well as chair that someone cut up.

Some stupid employee damged the laptops because they all are fine and new. Just them breaking them is stupid. When i start working at staples thios winter, i will see that they arent damaged.

Photos will come

Wow congrats to you, I wish I found a laptop :( All I have ever found is folders and composition books

Ok this last laptop posting has got me going. I'm going to go out this weekend on my bike and scout the dumpsters and then go back at night with the car. Yep. I'll keep you all posted on what happens.

So I need some
gloves
boxes
bags
id

Anything else?

I need more computers for cancer research. :D

-MN Scout

I plan on converting the sony to a desktop which boots up and works on my moniter!

c0ex said:
I plan on converting the sony to a desktop which boots up and works on my moniter!

Hey, willing to donate the averteca to me? I could use a new laptop, even if it has no lcd :D

I was able to get the sony to boot up. It has a 2.7 GHZ p4 proccessor and 256 ram. Still looking for the other specs. Im gonna install everest later and get a full report on it!

Good find tonight. Panasonic KX-P7100 duplexing laser printer. When I first turned it on the error light was flashing so I figured that's why it was in the dumpster. Anyway, after playing around with it a bit I got the error light to go away and come online. I ran the fuser clean procedure and now it is working beautifully. Seems like it still has quite a bit of toner left. Only problem, though, is that it is a gdi printer so it only works in windows. Fucking shit. I haven't decided if I'm going to try to sell it or just set up a windows box as a print server. It's a pretty nice printer. I also found a couple reams of some kind of special paper. They're still out in the ex so I haven't looked at them yet.

My only Mom and Pop computer store shares a dumpster with about three other business in the strip. :mad: And it looks like people from the apartment complex near it throw ther garbage in there to. I don't think I'm going to have much luck there. But I think the garbage goes out Wednesday around there so I'm going to check this Tuesday. Just maybe something will be in there. And all the other computer stores Best Buy and Office Max are a no go because of covered schute dumpster covers. I'm going to cruse around on garbage day though in the housing areas and see if anyone set anything out next to there garbage can.

-Mn Scout

We had some luck a few months ago going around the street on trash day. Found this 21'' i'm trying on now and tons on other stuff.

Years ago I had found an Apple II and some other trash PCs that I had taken the HD and fans out of. The Apple II I kept for awile cause it looked cool.

1002354Medium1128137111.JPG

also today i found a bunch of Mcaffe software still in oringinal plastic.

Ya or if you have no need for it ill be happy to take it off your hands. ;)

Anyone in Shreveport Or Bossier Louisana interested in going for some dives?

I was gonna buy the screen for it for 220 on ebay, but before I was about to pay, someone else had bought it. So im gonna sell it for parts

btw
it is the PCG-GRT250 is the model #!

c0ex said:
off topic
Anyone here interested in buying?

if so give me an offer!
you could always post in the fs/ft forum. you'll have to set a price if you post there, though.

My brother went today and found a wireless keyboard for pda, and 2 other pda keyboards!

I was coming back from dinner sunday night. I decided to swing by Big Lots. I saw in the rear a little Radio Flyer wagon -For my son- and one of those new Cylinder shaped fans. Pretty good find for just strolling around.

dont know if anyone else has mentioned but,

DIVING FOR COMP STUFF / ELECTRONIC IS OFFICIALLY AN ENDANGERED SPECIES IN SEATTLE (the entire county also)

King County Washington (state) has passed law requiring mandatory recycling of electronics. I'll let ya know if CompUSSR conforms :D

Yea it makes me sad i live in King County also and am dissapointed cause i get the feeling this is gonna make electronics more expensive here. It is also gonna kill DDing.

NJ. Staples, office chair, binders. Didn't grab them because the dumpster was full, and I checked it out at 7.30am. I know to check next week before thursday though.

Found two desks in boxs

First desk is a "L" desk

and the other is a desk with a glass top. The are very nice!!!! Pics to come

Also what part of NJ are u in?

c0ex said:
Found two desks in boxs

First desk is a "L" desk

and the other is a desk with a glass top. The are very nice!!!! Pics to come

Also what part of NJ are u in?

Union county. You?

Not exactly dumpster diving, but I bought a CRT from a thrift store thinking it was 17", just as a spare, since it was only $15. When I got home and saw it next to another 17" I realized it's the 19" now in my signature! Only problem was that it was dark, but I was able to adjust that using the ATI Control Panel.

Over at the CU Boulder engineering center, there are two common areas with pop machines. As you might expect, college students drink a lot of pop, particularly Mountain Dew and Pepsi. If you go through the recycle bins, you can find a lot of empty Pepsi and Dew bottles.

Anyone thinking what I'm thinking?

Well, several weeks ago, I went over there on a Monday morning and managed to get about 250 orange "Every 10 Minutes" caps. Each cap is good for an entry in the "Every 10 Minutes" contest to win an XBOX 360. Approximate odds of winning are 1 in 2000.

So far, I've collected 1150 caps. No XBOX 360 yet, but we'll see.

By the way: this tactic works even better for the iTunes promos - every three bottles has a code, and by dumpster (recycling, actually) diving, you can get 20-30 codes in about 10 minutes.

bsoft said:
Over at the CU Boulder engineering center, there are two common areas with pop machines. As you might expect, college students drink a lot of pop, particularly Mountain Dew and Pepsi. If you go through the recycle bins, you can find a lot of empty Pepsi and Dew bottles.

Well, several weeks ago, I went over there on a Monday morning and managed to get about 250 orange "Every 10 Minutes" caps. Each cap is good for an entry in the "Every 10 Minutes" contest to win an XBOX 360. Approximate odds of winning are 1 in 2000.

By the way: this tactic works even better for the iTunes promos - every three bottles has a code, and by dumpster (recycling, actually) diving, you can get 20-30 codes in about 10 minutes.

And you might be able to get like 20~30 bucks for that many cans and bottles at a recycling center.

bsoft said:

Just as a side note...I don' t think it does you any good that you have 1150. From the FAQ on the game site: "There is no limit to the number of Codes that may be entered each day, however there is a maximum of 500 Codes that can be entered for the entire promotion."

Anything that puts you over 500 though, if you'd be willing, you can send to me (over e-mail, AIM, PM, whatever).
;)

Thank god it stoped raning. Today I saw 3 safes on a palet next to the dumpster. The problem with them was that they were display models so they didnt work. In the the dumpster I found a bunch of stuff so here is the list

50' Cat5 Ethernet Cable
6' digital camera to usb cable
6' Gold series usb to printer cable
Norton Internet Securtiy 2005 in box w/cd and manuals
500 Packing List Enclosed Envelopes
2 Line ATT phone, missing powercable but runs on batteries well and works great
Universal Laptop Charger
100 pencils
100 pens
5 notebooks
10 binders
3 tape mesures
some software used to design homes
200 CD-Rs in jewel cases
10 DVD-r's
Stapler
Ruler Kit

c0ex said:
Thank god it stoped raning. Today I saw 3 safes on a palet next to the dumpster. The problem with them was that they were display models so they didnt work. In the the dumpster I found a bunch of stuff so here is the list

50' Cat5 Ethernet Cable
6' digital camera to usb cable
6' Gold series usb to printer cable
Norton Internet Securtiy 2005 in box w/cd and manuals
500 Packing List Enclosed Envelopes
2 Line ATT phone, missing powercable but runs on batteries well and works great
Universal Laptop Charger
100 pencils
100 pens
5 notebooks
10 binders
3 tape mesures
some software used to design homes
200 CD-Rs in jewel cases
10 DVD-r's
Stapler
Ruler Kit

Nice grab. I was wondering if you could pick up the nicest of the safes for me. I'm always looking for a nice gag gift. Could even turn it into a pc case.

yesterday I found 500 sheets of white paper still in origional wraping and some computer software.

I found quite a bit lately so I suppose I should update. A couple days ago I found about 10 old computers. About half of them were k6/2-350s, so that's not too too bad. Nothing spectacular, though. In any case, I was pretty excited to find that many at one time. I've also found quite a few monitors lately. I doubt many of them work, but I use them mainly for mischievous purposes so it doesn't really matter if they work or not. Not sure if I already posted this or not, but a couple weeks ago I got a Panasonic KX-P7100 laser printer with builtin automatic duplexer. It shot out an error when I first plugged it in, but I just had to reset it and now it works just fine. Shitty thing is it is a windows printer(uses the windows gdi subsystem to render pages to be sent to the printer) and I don't have any windows computers, so I'm out of luck. I have a feeling I might have already posted that, so whatever.

Unfortunately it's rained the past couple days so that kills any prospects. I don't mind diving in the snow(that's actually kinda fun), but soaking wet trash just isn't any fun.

I found a sony playstation stand, the demo kind, in the back of compussr, and it had the subwoofer still on it. but, it had just rained, and the damn thing was all rusted :(

Unfortunately it's rained the past couple days so that kills any prospects. I don't mind diving in the snow(that's actually kinda fun), but soaking wet trash just isn't any fun.
Amen to that. A lot of places that I dive at have a bad habit of not closing the lid of their dumpsters (if they have lids) and all of the stuff gets kinda ruined. Ya never know though, I had a monitor that was rained on. Let it sit and dry for a week, turned it on and it was just fine.

Back