Dumpster Diving!

Today I went when it was raining and only found a bunch of earthlink cd's. Going back tomorow to see if they threw out anything overnight.

Lol, this is weird. In the staples dumpster I found a metal ladder.

it is 5 ft long and can be in three different positions. as seen bellow

/ A /
/

coex, you get all the coolest stuff. The best thing I can post is.... Something I got from the curb. Last halloween, I passed by a guy cleaning out his garage. He had dumped spools upon spools upon boxes of cat 5/5e/6 wire. I only grabed a couple of half done spools. And a small blade server. XD

well tonight i went got pretty lucky.....

best buy must have just got new cell phone stands and i went through that and got an AC adapter with like a phone plug on it, and some powercords and then something that im not sure what it is i am tired so i didnt look at it that close but all i knwo is it keeps beeping..i will look at it closer tomorrow

the chamber of commerce building through away three space heaters i havent checked them yet to see if they are gunna burn my house down, and old compaq presario 7478 i think i cant really remember right now, and also an old IBM Correcting Selectric 2 typewriter...that thing was heavy so i grabbed it and looked it up online it came out in '73 so that is pretty cool

thats all i got i think tonight but i think i could have gotten more but it was trash day i think for a lot of places that didnt have compactors :(

so i am looking at prices on this typewriter and this site typewriter has it for 400 bucks refurbished :eek: :eek: i am pretty sure that is the same one i will check model numbers tomorrow

Yeah those selectrics are usually worth quite a bit. Even moreso if it is a correcting selectric. I've still got a couple old IBM typewriters I need to sell. I keep putting it off, though, because I don't feel like shipping them.

jpmkm said:
Yeah those selectrics are usually worth quite a bit. Even moreso if it is a correcting selectric. I've still got a couple old IBM typewriters I need to sell. I keep putting it off, though, because I don't feel like shipping them.

what's a typewriter? :p

Anybody in North Philadelphia Area? Outside/around the city? I'd go for shits and giggles but don't wanna do this shit by myself...

Whats the etiquette when you catch someone dumpster diving at your business? I had to go in late one night and caught someone sifting through our neighbors trash after obviously having already gone through ours (there was trash everywhere). I had to walk by their car to get into my office and the female passenger simply said hi (oddly she was in the passenger seat while her husband/bf/whatever was in the dumpster). I wasn't exactly sure what to do, call the cops or what. Didn't really matter since I forgot the password to my offices alarm and the cops came anyways. I didn't say anything about the trash because I didn't have time to fill out a form or whatever cops would make me do. It wouldn't have been anything to worry about if they hadn't made the mess they did. Its happened once more to our neighbors since. They're an AV place. I think we should just probably out a padlock on the bin, I guess.

Is this thread for real? This thread gives White Trash a whole new meaning. BTW, my ass hole will be releasing 40 120GB hard drives, any takers are welcome. :D

I figured it's about time I contributed to this thread.

Thus far, I have found...

A projection TV, 54"? something around there.
5-6 DVD players / VCRs
3? computers, including a p4, some with GF4s etc.
11-12 mirrors
Bags and bags and bags and bags of clothing, most of it very decent
Many pairs of good dress shoes
A couple of kegs of beer (not empty...drank it, tasty stuff)
20? empty kegs which I returned for deposit ($7 per)
Brand new candleholder
Tons of paper / empty notebooks
Complete pottery tea set (cute lil cups etc.)

That's about it for now...I'm sure I forgot some.

Argher said:
I figured it's about time I contributed to this thread.

Thus far, I have found...

A projection TV, 54"? something around there.
5-6 DVD players / VCRs
3? computers, including a p4, some with GF4s etc.
11-12 mirrors
Bags and bags and bags and bags of clothing, most of it very decent
Many pairs of good dress shoes
A couple of kegs of beer (not empty...drank it, tasty stuff)
20? empty kegs which I returned for deposit ($7 per)
Brand new candleholder
Tons of paper / empty notebooks
Complete pottery tea set (cute lil cups etc.)

That's about it for now...I'm sure I forgot some.

damn, what store did you go to?

just discovered this thread :D
ill deff be trying my stores and businesses!
whens the best time to dive?!!
and can you get in any trouble for doin it!?

oceancyc said:
Whats the etiquette when you catch someone dumpster diving at your business? I had to go in late one night and caught someone sifting through our neighbors trash after obviously having already gone through ours (there was trash everywhere). I had to walk by their car to get into my office and the female passenger simply said hi (oddly she was in the passenger seat while her husband/bf/whatever was in the dumpster). I wasn't exactly sure what to do, call the cops or what. Didn't really matter since I forgot the password to my offices alarm and the cops came anyways. I didn't say anything about the trash because I didn't have time to fill out a form or whatever cops would make me do. It wouldn't have been anything to worry about if they hadn't made the mess they did. Its happened once more to our neighbors since. They're an AV place. I think we should just probably out a padlock on the bin, I guess.

If they make a mess, call the cops on them.

If not, just be happy they aint make a mess.

d94 said:
just discovered this thread :D
ill deff be trying my stores and businesses!
whens the best time to dive?!!
and can you get in any trouble for doin it!?

Best time to dive is after and before they close and open. And you can get in trouble if you break locks, cables, the person is feeling evil, etc. Just use common sense. And read the entire thread.

Today I went, but it was the same as the previous 2 days. The thing is there repaving the back parking lot so they moved the dumpster away so now they havent added anything.

oceancyc said:
Whats the etiquette when you catch someone dumpster diving at your business...
I agree with chaostic, if they're not making a mess, don't worry about it. Though if they are leaving your trash on the street, they are not following proper DD etiquette, which says that they must clean up the mess they make :) If you do catch them again, you should probably say something like, "Hey, I don't mind if you are Diving back here, but please just clean up if you make a mess."

Man I found a huge box full of shit a couple nights ago. Cards, cables, power supplies, motherboards. There were a few agp video cards, tons of NICs, some sound cards, an old raylan 8 port ethernet/1port fiber hub, pcmcia 10/100 ethernet card, some headset walkie talkies(professional ones, not toys), and a shitton of cables. Oh and I also found a nice panasonic dot matrix printer. I went back last night to see if there was anything I missed(I was kinda not in the greatest state of mind when I first went), but there was some dude standing in one of the dumpsters so I left. Then I think I actually had a damn dream about it last night. That's pretty sad.

jpmkm said:
Man I found a huge box full of shit a couple nights ago. Cards, cables, power supplies, motherboards. There were a few agp video cards, tons of NICs, some sound cards, an old raylan 8 port ethernet/1port fiber hub, pcmcia 10/100 ethernet card, some headset walkie talkies(professional ones, not toys), and a shitton of cables. Oh and I also found a nice panasonic dot matrix printer. I went back last night to see if there was anything I missed(I was kinda not in the greatest state of mind when I first went), but there was some dude standing in one of the dumpsters so I left. Then I think I actually had a damn dream about it last night. That's pretty sad.

wow, nice find. Did you pick this up off the curb or did u get it from a dumpter? If so what store?

c0ex said:
wow, nice find. Did you pick this up off the curb or did u get it from a dumpter? If so what store?
It was from a local computer/office equipment shop(it's not part of a chain or anything). They're my main source of good finds. They usually throw out at least a couple huge copiers a week, but those are a bitch to get out and I've pulled so many over the past couple years that I don't really need any more parts. :D A lot of the stuff I pull from there is either broken or too old to be worth anything, but every so often I'll find something awesome.

Today I found a paper cutter made by x-acto. pretty nice, New in box. It has a damaged stickeer that says opened on it, but the origional seal is still on

I have 4 large dumpsters for my community and people also leave stuff out they dont want. Last night I found 2 a little older cell phones in nice condition. Pretty sweet. Hopefully i will find some better stuff in the future.

I'm starting to give up on the chains. Most of them have compactors and the ones that don't either don't throw away any good stuff or totally destroy it when they do. The way to go, like jpmkm said, is the smaller computer and office shops. Ya gotta get the places that are big enough to have good stuff to throw away, but poor enough to not have a compactor.

NYC is an awesome place to go dumpster diving. Although most would expect to find good stuff in the City area (Mid to downtown Manhattan), most of the the things I've found were in the Ghetto lol. I usually just see fully configured computer cases (Most being older Pent 3/Athlon Gateways & Compaqs) laying right on the sidewalk or near garbage cans. havn't made an effort to do some dumpster diving as of late. Im not as lucky on the computer side of things, but i usualyl hit the jackpot on video games & consoles lol. I find endless amounts of Sega Genesis & SNES's. Found a few Playstation 1's, plenty of broken up handhelds, etc. My most sucess seems to be the N64 oddly. Only found 1 console, but I find alot of games & pads for it. Biggest find was a Sega Dreamcast with an Interact Racing wheel with it XD. Was inside a Gateway box.

-DarkLegacy

Holy shit guys. I just found a 160 WD hard drive. It seems to work perfectly. It was ntfs formatted and had xmen evolution on it. Blasted that off, though, and made an ext3 fs on it, so I'm good to go. This is my best find in a while.

edit: not sure if I posted this earlier, but I found a pci radeon 9200SE a while back and I thought it was a dud(it used to just output gibberish), but today I actually got it working. I now have a quad monitor setup. :D

DarkLegacy said:
NYC is an awesome place to go dumpster diving. Although most would expect to find good stuff in the City area (Mid to downtown Manhattan), most of the the things I've found were in the Ghetto lol. I usually just see fully configured computer cases (Most being older Pent 3/Athlon Gateways & Compaqs) laying right on the sidewalk or near garbage cans. havn't made an effort to do some dumpster diving as of late. Im not as lucky on the computer side of things, but i usualyl hit the jackpot on video games & consoles lol. I find endless amounts of Sega Genesis & SNES's. Found a few Playstation 1's, plenty of broken up handhelds, etc. My most sucess seems to be the N64 oddly. Only found 1 console, but I find alot of games & pads for it. Biggest find was a Sega Dreamcast with an Interact Racing wheel with it XD. Was inside a Gateway box.

-DarkLegacy
i've asked my friend about that stuff since he's a garbage man. He said it wouldn't want to take that stuff at all, because most of the computer cases have cockroaches and other bugs in them. Though he's yet to see anything good yet here in SI, or in Manhattan.

I'm not sure if he went uptown or in the bronx though.

Bugs are nothing. How about cutting open a bag full of goose excrement, like I did. That's disgusting.

Last night was my first time dumpster diving, the first bag I ripped open had about 40 various cell phone accessories still in their packages (belt clips, chargers, leather cases). Other than that I found like 50 copies of Norton Internet Security 2005, some movies, a mechanical manicure set (woo!), some other random crap, and best of all some old ladies blank checkbook!

Needless to say I'm going to be hooked on dumpster diving if I keep scoring that big.

couldnt let this thread die I have found too meany computers in dumpsters to list [or keep] :D
and so far the best one was a p4 1.6 with 256mb of ram [damn p4's {shakes fist}]

Just a note, don't go dumpster diving on Thanksgiving night, there are people lined up for Black Friday all around :p

kohan69 said:
Just a note, don't go dumpster diving on Thanksgiving night, there are people lined up for Black Friday all around :p
hahaha good call. :D

I went later that day on friday and the dumpster was the same as the previous day. I guess the employees were working at the registers this day instead of throwing items out

I would say today or tonight is the day since most stores like compusa and BB will accept returns today and if they don't they will on Monday which means alot of good trash...?

Major retailers near me always have locked dumpsters or compacters.

Best buy is hardcore, they have both.

Wow today was a big one

I got 5 spindals of with 25 dvd-r's in each one
2 spindal of 50 cd-rs
Micron Keyboard NIB
Micron Mouse
Belkin kvm switch for 2 computers
10 ft moniter extension cable
6 ft monster s-vid cable
some pens and pencils
travel usb hub

My brother got sum kick @$$ creative speakers with a whole lot of bass
and some wireless mouses

also in the dumpster was a Microsoft Wired Router that was chipped on the corner. I left that there.

Also a few days ago I got a filing cabinet.

Also the best day to go is after christmas when everyone returns the items they already got or dont need. :)

Also I went into my staples and saw a 19" LCD. It is probally gonna end up in the dumpster in the next few days.

Back