Dumpster Diving!

nice score, i wish there were shops to dive @ here, i'd love to loot on some goodies..

Anyone DD in Austin/Round Rock? I work late, get off near midnight, and figured if I found someone with a clue, might give an extra pair of hands.

Okay ladies and gentlemen, since the economy is going into the shitter, you should expect to find some good stuff. Back in 2001-2003, I used to get treasures every weekend!

Tips
  • Office buildings - check any with the long trash bins which go onto trucks, check standard dumpsters.
  • Office parks - these generally have single-story units with multiple businesses in them, drive around back many will have long trash bins.
  • Shopping centers - Any non-food place is good, I've scored some decent stuff at Microcenter. If you're broke and hungry check fast food and grocery store bins, they throw out fresh food every day. Normally they pack it in clear bags. Day old food is better than none at all!
  • If you find financial paperwork or anything which looks like you shouldn't have it; don't even touch it. If you get pulled over and an overzealous officer sees that kind of stuff, you may go to jail.
  • Keep on the look-out for no trespassing signs! I got a tip-off awhile back about a trash bin with 20+ computers in it, unfortunately there were no trespassing signs all over the property. It turned out that the company was a satellite company and I could have gotten into some serious trouble.
  • Keep the gold trash the trash, don't leave a mess; if you remove things from the trash can, put them back in there, don't be a f*ing douche bag. Dumpster divers have a mixed reputation as it is, don't make it worse.
  • Get one of those book maps .. or print out your area on Google Maps, mark good places with plus signs.

I still think back when the local PC Club shut down and the stuff we dumbed some great stuff. Besides what the employees were pillaging, it was bad, I mean it was so bad that some of the employees from one of the neighboring Chinese food restaurant and Kmart joint in the fun. Their regional was at the store to make sure they only through out trash, all I have to say is some folks trash is an others treasure and I'm talking about whole test systems. I wasn't interested in most of the stuff, my room already looks like the fucking tech section, but I was interested in the occasional bit and bop. Then there is a Costco near by, that trash is protected like treasure and some office supply store, great for office chairs.

wow i cant believe this thread people who post in it are serious. i made a similar post here years ago. just wow.

Back