Droid

I'm not sure about it, but I would almost guarentee you would still have to pay for the $30/month for the data package regardless of where you got the phone or how much you paid for it. Because you're gonna have to pay for the service anyways. I really don't understand why you would want to pay $500+ for this phone and not want to get the data plan for it anyways. If you want to do that, you might as well get some other PDA that'll prolly do what you want better and cheaper, plus you're not wasting the capabilities of the droid that way by having its communications restricted so much. I dunno though, just my opinion on it. If you can't afford its plan and/or initial costs, then it's just not for you, IMO. Not trying to be an ass or anything :).

... its not restricting it whatsoever. . . if you fully read the first post youll see it would replace my ipod and my phone. . . and since where I am there is wifi everywhere anyways... why would i want to pay 30 dollars a month for something i've already got. . . so I can use it once a week when I'm out of a wifi zone? i think not. . . as far as the price, its 400 dollars on ebay, my current phone sells for 260 on ebay and my ipod sells for 150 on ebay. . . which makes it a straight up trade, theres no "can't afford" or "affording" involved. As far as there being another device- no. there isn't. The droid is the only device I could get as a phone that has the ability to compete with the ipod touch and its app store.

I'm wondering; how good is the accelerometer on this? Because from what I've noticed so far with the phone it doesn't seem nearly as sensitive as the iPhones. I really hope it is so we can see some comparible games on here like Super Monkey Ball that I liked playing on my iPod touch. Is the droid capable of such sensitive input for applications like that? I haven't seen (good) games that do use it yet..

... its not restricting it whatsoever. . . if you fully read the first post youll see it would replace my ipod and my phone. . . and since where I am there is wifi everywhere anyways... why would i want to pay 30 dollars a month for something i've already got. . . so I can use it once a week when I'm out of a wifi zone? i think not. . . as far as the price, its 400 dollars on ebay, my current phone sells for 260 on ebay and my ipod sells for 150 on ebay. . . which makes it a straight up trade, theres no "can't afford" or "affording" involved. As far as there being another device- no. there isn't. The droid is the only device I could get as a phone that has the ability to compete with the ipod touch and its app store.

I was referring to the $30/month data plan that you said you couldn't afford. The only way I see you might be pulling it off without Verizons data plan is if you do the pre-paid Page Plus option. I'm not sure who's network that uses though. If it doesn't use Verizons network, then it won't work since Verizon uses a different wireless tech (forgot what it's called) than other carriers.

Or you could maybe get away with not activating it at all on any carrier and use Skype, Gtalk, or some other VOIP application in the Droid market (I've seen a few) since you'll always be in near wi-fi.

Hope this helps. GL.

No way to get droid on Verizons network without data plan. You would have to go GSM (att or T-mobile) for that. Verizon knows all phones that are on their network at all times and there is no way to get a phone on their network without Verizons approval.

CarefuLL guys,the Droid uses a micro usb that looks standard but many of the cheaper cords have been creating problems Ask around and find out from friends what is wrking an what is not

What problems? Are they buying low amperage chargers, because they need to look at the specs first?

What problems? Are they buying low amperage chargers, because they need to look at the specs first?

theres been a few reports of the droid coming to life, texting people, calling people, screen freak outs, etc, while connected to weird chargers. search droidforums.net for more info. i stuck with a moto car charger just to be safe. i have used my wifes lg wall charger with no hassle.

I think what he meant was that some of the micro-usb cable out there won't charge your Droid. For instance I bought a longer Seidio micro-usb cable thinking it would work and it did, only as a data cable and not a charge cable. I then returned the longer cable for a shorter micro-usb cable thinking it had something to do with the length of the cable but to my surprise only worked as a data cable and wouldn't charge the phone. I gave up and went and picked up a replacement at Verizon's store which worked fine. Note that I was connecting it to same charger that came with the phone. I'm not sure whats different with the cable but I think it has to do with the rated voltage attenuation of the usb cable at hand. Someone have any insight into this?

My droid randomly deletes all the threads every once in a while. While not being horrible, it does rather annoy me. Does anyone know how to fix it?

My droid randomly deletes all the threads every once in a while. While not being horrible, it does rather annoy me. Does anyone know how to fix it?

I downloaded Handcent SMS instead. Seems to work better for me.

I'm considering the droid, however I've heard some reviews that say the reception sucks others that say it's the best they've ever seen in a phone.
Anyone with reception issues on the Moto Droid/HTC Eris? more importantly has anyone compared the droid phone(s) with a standard Verizon non-smart phone?

Of all the Motorola phones I have owned, they all had the best reception at the time compared to other brands. Coming from a ve20 and a v9m, the Droid seems to do just as good. Although i have not tried it in ALL the fringe areas around me, so far it seems great. I was worried reception would suck like some other smart phones when I bought it, but no regrets here yet.

I haven't noticed any significant differences in reception between my old env2 and the Droid.

Of all the Motorola phones I have owned, they all had the best reception at the time compared to other brands. Coming from a ve20 and a v9m, the Droid seems to do just as good. Although i have not tried it in ALL the fringe areas around me, so far it seems great. I was worried reception would suck like some other smart phones when I bought it, but no regrets here yet.
Good to hear!

I haven't noticed any significant differences in reception between my old env2 and the Droid.
That's GREAT to hear! A family member recently got the enV3 and has reception where there was none before with AT&T. :cool:

I'm considering the droid, however I've heard some reviews that say the reception sucks others that say it's the best they've ever seen in a phone.
Anyone with reception issues on the Moto Droid/HTC Eris? more importantly has anyone compared the droid phone(s) with a standard Verizon non-smart phone?

As a droid user, I can say the reception is fine. I had a non-smart Verizon phone before the reception is relatively clearer and more crisp.

Also, I don't understand the complaints about the keyboard, I can't seem to find a problem with it.

The greatest part about the Moto Droid keyboard to me is that it's sealed all the way across, so I don't have to worry about sweat, light rain, sticky fingers or condensation nearly as much as other phones with a physical keyboard.

As a droid user, I can say the reception is fine. I had a non-smart Verizon phone before the reception is relatively clearer and more crisp.

Also, I don't understand the complaints about the keyboard, I can't seem to find a problem with it.
Please clarify this a little:
"I had a non-smart Verizon phone before the reception is relatively clearer and more crisp."
Do you mean that the droid is better? or that the old non-smart phone is better?

I was messing with the keyboard in the Verizon store a bit. I didn't find it THAT bad. When it's compared to texting champs it does fall back a little. But then again it's not as bad as some people make it out to be.

I love my droid.

With that being said, I did have the (un)common problem where one of the buttons stops working. My soft home key wasn't functioning.

Browsing the web, the only two solutions I could find was:
1) reset the phone to factory settings
2) bring the phone back and replace it

I was dreading doing either because of previous experience of factory resetting my phone. I was afraid of losing my game save data in robo defense(lol).

Anywho I proceeded with the factory reset. It took my about 10 minutes. I reset the phone, reactivated it and put my gmail login info in. While that was syncing, I went back to the market, hit the menu button, clicked downloads, and it showed all the apps that I had previously downloaded. Downloaded them all, and went back to playing robo defense.(game saves on SD card, same with pictures)

Home button works perfectly. Couldn't have been easier. Probably would have taken me 4 hours on my BB Storm to do the same process.

My favorite thing with this phone is that it powers on so fast. Even from a battery pull. My blackberry seemed like a 20 minute bootup. I think the droid boots faster than my computer.

I'm debating on rooting it though. I don't quite see a purpose yet.

I bought a droid usb/transfer cable off of Amazon for like 4.99.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZJQLZC/ref=ox_ya_oh_product

It charges the phone fine but when I tried to sync music with is it was a disaster and it ended up frying my computers usb controller. Luckly it was my old computer and not my new one. The phone is fine and I purchased a PCI USB card to fix my comp. But for the cost I could have just bought another moto charger and saved my self the trouble.

I dont not recommend buy any cheap cables.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Anyone know if it's possible to use an external stereo mic for video recording with the droid?

I love the Moto Droid! Haven't had a single issue with it yet. And it's such a pleasure to use, especially after coming from a Blackberry Storm.
I rooted it the day after I got it and haven't looked back. Busyboxed it, nandroid running as the recovery image which allows for ROM swaps that take less then 2-3 minutes to change. Even ran the 2.1 ROM from the Nexus. Android 2.1 is killer, plus it has 5 home screens!
Currently I'm running a modded 2.0.1 ROM with all the goodies from the 2.1 and pinch zooming from the Milestone, runs smooth as silk.
Here's some screenshot's before I was runinng the 2.1 mod.
Oh yeah, almost forgot, it runs glQuake pretty damn good too!

blueonblack.png

Last edited:
BTW best thing from 2.1 is the new gallery synced with Picasa. You can actually just download the gallery 2.1 and install it on 2.0.1 and it works fine. I would recommend it to anyone.

Haven't had any problems with my Droid. I bought a 6 foot micro USB cable from monoprice.com for less than $4 shipped. It works flawlessly for charging and data.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Thanks for reminding me about monoprice, I just ordered the same 6 foot cable. $3.13 shipped.

Ok since the update a couple months ago I can not get youtube videos to play in full screen. They play in HQ but are tiny compared to the full screen resolution that they used to play before. I have tried google and havent found a solution yet. Even on WIFI I can not get full screen videos to play. Anyone else having this problem of figured this out?

I have tried going through the browser and youtube to no avail..

Pretty soon it shouldn't matter, 2.1 is reported to have Adobe Flash enabled so it should play YouTube vids as presented after the update.

Motorola Milestone (GSM Droid) is supposed to be out on the 26th for Telus. Seriously considering picking one up. The Inbrics M1 revealed at CES looks awesome, but the availability and so forth haven't been announced and I don't feel like waiting.

I've had my E71 for too long now (14 months :p) Time for a change.

Motorola Milestone (GSM Droid) is supposed to be out on the 26th for Telus. Seriously considering picking one up. The Inbrics M1 revealed at CES looks awesome, but the availability and so forth haven't been announced and I don't feel like waiting.

I've had my E71 for too long now (14 months :p) Time for a change.

you can buy the milestone unlocked already, why wait for telus?

Got a droid love it real change of pace from my jailbroken iphone 3gs mainly because its more open and verizon network rocks.

Question for all you Droid owners. When you slide the keyboard out, theres plastic on the backside of the screen. The plastic is starting to bubble up from air and even peel. Does anyone know if its ok to just peel all that plastic off? Does it serve a purpose? Anybody else suffering from the same thing?

You can pull the plastic off. Doesn't do anything. The sliding mechanism might be a bit looser, though.

word on the street is Jan 22.

So if I walk into a Verizon store on the 22nd, will it have 2.1 already installed, or easily upgraded to it right there in store that day ?

And would you all recommend the Droid over the Nexus-1 ? I am on T-Mobile now with no contract on my old BB, looking for a new phone. T-Mobile has been very spotty lately, dropped calls out of nowhere, at least once per day if on the phone a lot.

Also hate AT+T, bought the iPhone3G almost 2 years ago, and their service sucked balls. The iPhone itself was cool, didn't love it or hate it, it was ok.

^^^ Should just be an OTA transfer. Doesn't take too long and you shouldn't have to go to Verizon to get it installed.

Back