Droid

Just picked a droid up yesterday. So far so good! I went from a BB Curve to the Droid, and I'm already much more pleased. Typing is a bit more difficult on the droid, but I think that's something I'll just get used to over time. Past that, this thing ROCKS. I can't grab apps quick enough :)

And with 16gb of storage AND Pandora, I have an "emergency ipod" if I forget mine at home. Battery life could be a bit better, but isn't that always the case?

Merry Christmas to me, this thing rocks :)

Sometimes my batter lasts the whole day and sometimes just half of it. Depends on how much I use it. But overall it is usable as I have a charger in my truck and one at home and I'm there frequently enough to use them.

I got used to the virtual KB and never use the physical one.

Love my Droid :D

Nexus One looks awesome, but not for Tmob/ATT edge.

Sometimes my batter lasts the whole day and sometimes just half of it. Depends on how much I use it. But overall it is usable as I have a charger in my truck and one at home and I'm there frequently enough to use them.

I got used to the virtual KB and never use the physical one.

Love my Droid :D

Nexus One looks awesome, but not for Tmob/ATT edge.

I went out and bought an extra battery & charger. It's perfect. The battery is small enough to carry around in a pocket, and it gives me an extra day without having to worry about charging up.

my battery lasts enough for me from when i leave my house for work and come back from, about 10 hours the whole day, with mild internet browsing and heavy messaging and maybe an hour or two of music

I wish this was out for AT&T, jsut crashed my iphone and would love to try something new but locked in the contract for 2 more years.... i guess ill have to pass on this one

My Droid is still going strong...after one replacement exchange for frequent and random reboots. I usually get 13 hours of battery or so per day. Almost never use the hardware keyboard.

2u8c5nd.jpg

phonemypc <3

Posting from my droid now. I actually don't mind the physical keyboard.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Just got my Droid for Christmas (posting from it now). Came from a blackberry 8830. I can actually type nearly as fast using the landscape virtual keyboard as the physical keyboard on the blackberry...I love this thing...buy one if you are on Verizon.

Posting from my droid now. I actually don't mind the physical keyboard.

I don't mind it too much either. It just took a little getting used to as I was coming from a Env2, but I can type decently fast on it now.

only thing i dont like about the physical keyboard is that the dpad is a bit in the way so i have to use me left thumb to reach the YHB keys instead of my right thumb like I usually would, the flat keys i dont really mind at all.

people with the droids and verizon, how much are paying for your service with 2 lines?

$82 after 15% off from my work.

I rooted my Droid and installed 2.1. A few nice looking upgrades, the new gallery is pretty sweet. Live wallpapers are cool, but they seemed to lag my phone too much.

Seidio case which already broke :/
IMG_2647.jpg

what broke on the seido? i have had the black one since release. i like it :D

I was at the movies and my phone fell from my lap to the floor and one of the tabs on the front cover broke so the front cover no longer will stay on the phone. I sent an email to Seidio, waiting to hear back. I had the case less then 7 days, really disappointing for a $29 case

people with the droids and verizon, how much are paying for your service with 2 lines?

I have two droids with the 1400 select plan, with data and insurance on both. With an 18% employer discount, my bill is around $155.

Last edited:

I just got my droid a couple days ago. I was on a premium plan with two voyagers for me and my wife. It was about $130/month with unlimited everything, navigation, and 700 mins/month. After I got the droid, I had to drop the premium package (incompatible w/ smartphone data package), so it went down to $90/month, then the smartphone data package brought it back up to $120/month. So pretty much the same plan as the guy a few posts up except with only 700 mins a month. She doesn't need data anyways, so it works out.

Gottta Q though; is there any way to make this thing easier to unlock? I was used to just hitting the slide lock on the side of my voyager or the onscreen button to unlock instead of this where you have you slide it across the screen which is slightly annoying. Not a biggie at all. Any tips would be much appreciated!

This was posted with my droid, btw! :D

Last edited:
You can download a different app that lets you set how you unlock the phone. I don't know what it is off the top of my head though.

You can download a different app that lets you set how you unlock the phone. I don't know what it is off the top of my head though.

If you could remember or find out, I'd be much appreciative. I've scoured the app market for something for it and found nothing. I might be searching for the wrong thing though.

Thanks!

ScreenModeWidget I think.

Sweet, got it. Works like a charm now and no more annoying lockouts. That lock/unlock button is kind of in an awkward position for me. This phones best trait is also it's drawback, it's so damn big! But that's definitely more of a positive for me. All forum posts I've made in the last week have been from it and rather comfortably. I can't imagine the iPhone being much better than this thing. :D :D

I just got my droid a couple days ago. I was on a premium plan with two voyagers for me and my wife. It was about $130/month with unlimited everything, navigation, and 700 mins/month. After I got the droid, I had to drop the premium package (incompatible w/ smartphone data package), so it went down to $90/month, then the smartphone data package brought it back up to $120/month. So pretty much the same plan as the guy a few posts up except with only 700 mins a month. She doesn't need data anyways, so it works out.

Gottta Q though; is there any way to make this thing easier to unlock? I was used to just hitting the slide lock on the side of my voyager or the onscreen button to unlock instead of this where you have you slide it across the screen which is slightly annoying. Not a biggie at all. Any tips would be much appreciated!

This was posted with my droid, btw! :D

Settings, security if memory serves. You can set it to a visual patern. There will be an array of dots and you determing the "connect the dots pattern" you wish to use.

A "z" or a "v" for example

I have an Imagio but my store has a Droid demo. I will double check tomorrow

Hi, I have some questions about the droid

I could sell my current phone (rogue) and my ipod touch and have enough money from it to buy a droid off of ebay. . . and in return receive out of the droid what I get from both devices but in one device. . . But i have some questions first.

First off, I can not afford the 30 dollars a month. So, I am wondering, if I buy this phone and activate it online, is it going to force me into getting a contract, or since I bought it for full retail price will it allow me to activate it without a smartphone plan.

Second, I am wondering if you can turn off the verizon internet, so that it only gets internet in wifi hotspots? I only need to use the internet capabilities of the phone when I am in areas with wifi anyways, so I don't want to waste 30 dollars a month on it, but at the same time I dont want it to randomly update and stuff when not in a wifi hotspot, costing me money.

For now these are my only 2 questionsk, and their answers will decide if I have further questions. Thanks.

No, you will not be forced into a contract since you would not be activating it online but doing it remotely via OTA.

OTA= over the air programing. You would, however be forced to subscribe to the data plan. The data plan is a feature that would be auto provisioned at time of programing, however it is a feature you would be forced into for the duration of you current contract if you wish to use the Droid.

The answer to your second question is no, you cannot, at least not legitimately. Oh and you would OTA the phone by dialing *228 and pressing send then choose option 3. The network will prompt you for you cell number, your password and or your last four of your SS # assuming your the contract holder. Moments later your phone would be working and you would be taken through your gmail account setup or sign on by the phone.

I hope that answers your questions

P.S.

OTA may fail in your case depending on your area based on the addition of the data plan since you do not currently have data "in the PDA sense" and if that happens you can go to a local store and they would most likely do it for you via computer for a small fee if any.

Last edited:
Settings, security if memory serves. You can set it to a visual patern. There will be an array of dots and you determing the "connect the dots pattern" you wish to use.

A "z" or a "v" for example

I have an Imagio but my store has a Droid demo. I will double check tomorrow

Yeah, I found that feature on it. I definitely like that security feature for it and I have it implimented, but I don't want to be unlocking it every few mins when I pick it up again. That widget (screenmode widget) mentioned before worked great for this though. Now I just need to figure ou how to keep the screen from turning off while having the browser up. I don't want the screen to turn off unless I'm on the home screen and idle.

Thanks a lot for the help though ;).

Have any of you guys seen any really good student engineering apps or are aware of any in the making? I have handycalc which is amazing but I could also use some physics, biochem, or any apps for the applied sciences.

Yeah, I found that feature on it. I definitely like that security feature for it and I have it implimented, but I don't want to be unlocking it every few mins when I pick it up again. That widget (screenmode widget) mentioned before worked great for this though. Now I just need to figure ou how to keep the screen from turning off while having the browser up. I don't want the screen to turn off unless I'm on the home screen and idle.

Thanks a lot for the help though ;).

I believe there is an app(don't recall the name) that will keep the phone unlocked based on the accelerometer. I think you can set it based on the "tilt" of the phone. If you look around over in the phandroid.com forums you should be able to find it. It may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it may be close.

Hi, I have some questions about the droid

I could sell my current phone (rogue) and my ipod touch and have enough money from it to buy a droid off of ebay. . . and in return receive out of the droid what I get from both devices but in one device. . . But i have some questions first.

First off, I can not afford the 30 dollars a month. So, I am wondering, if I buy this phone and activate it online, is it going to force me into getting a contract, or since I bought it for full retail price will it allow me to activate it without a smartphone plan.

Second, I am wondering if you can turn off the verizon internet, so that it only gets internet in wifi hotspots? I only need to use the internet capabilities of the phone when I am in areas with wifi anyways, so I don't want to waste 30 dollars a month on it, but at the same time I dont want it to randomly update and stuff when not in a wifi hotspot, costing me money.

For now these are my only 2 questionsk, and their answers will decide if I have further questions. Thanks.

You can activate it however you want without signing into a contract. That being said, once they see that a Droid has been activated on your account, they will automatically bill you the $29.99/mo for the smartphone plan.

You can activate it however you want without signing into a contract. That being said, once they see that a Droid has been activated on your account, they will automatically bill you the $29.99/mo for the smartphone plan.

Yup you can not a have Droid with Verizon Wireless Cellular Service without the data plan.

You can however a get a Droid and just use the Wifi to connect to the internet, to sync your gmail account, if you wanted to use it an like iTouch which I will do with this if I ever upgrade to something else. The capability to browse the web, play emulators/roms and different types media makes it an awesome handle device without a using it as a cell phone.

You can also activate a Droid on Page Plus if you like - $30 a month for 1200 minutes, 1200 texts and 50MB data which should cover you for those times the phone just decides to use data while you're not connected to Wifi.

are you sure about the whole 30 dollars a month regardless? It seems a little ridiculous that after spending full retail I would have to pay 30 dollars a month still. . . I understand why I would have to if I got the phone for 200 dollars from them because its their way of making the money back.. but this I just cant figure out. . really a bummer if this is how it is.

are you sure about the whole 30 dollars a month regardless? It seems a little ridiculous that after spending full retail I would have to pay 30 dollars a month still. . . I understand why I would have to if I got the phone for 200 dollars from them because its their way of making the money back.. but this I just cant figure out. . really a bummer if this is how it is.

I'm not sure about it, but I would almost guarentee you would still have to pay for the $30/month for the data package regardless of where you got the phone or how much you paid for it. Because you're gonna have to pay for the service anyways. I really don't understand why you would want to pay $500+ for this phone and not want to get the data plan for it anyways. If you want to do that, you might as well get some other PDA that'll prolly do what you want better and cheaper, plus you're not wasting the capabilities of the droid that way by having its communications restricted so much. I dunno though, just my opinion on it. If you can't afford its plan and/or initial costs, then it's just not for you, IMO. Not trying to be an ass or anything :).

That 50mb would not last me long, although I only used 500MB the month of December (my first month) according to Verizon, I have a wifi connection, at home, work, friends houses (cause i set em all up lol) and even my favorite bars... so I am sure my usage is a hell of a lot higher than that

I got a droid yesterday and I have a few questions.

I didn't really want to pay a ton for a car charger at verizon so I was wondering what would be a good quality charger to use with my droid. I was looking at this on monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...082602&p_id=3523&seq=1&format=3#specification

What I was concerned about is that the specs say:
output voltage 5DC - 5%
max output current 1000mA (1A)

The AC adapter that came with my droid outputs at 5.1v and at 850mA. Is charger going to burn up my droid at 1000mA? What car charger do you recommend that isn't $30. Also, are there any good quality 3rd party car docks that are not crap? I thought the $30 was also a bit high for a piece of plastic.

I didn't really want to pay a ton for a car charger at verizon so I was wondering what would be a good quality charger to use with my droid. I was looking at this on monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...082602&p_id=3523&seq=1&format=3#specification

output voltage 5DC - 5%

The AC adapter that came with my droid outputs at 5.1v and at 850mA. Is charger going to burn up my droid at 1000mA? What car charger do you recommend that isn't $30. Also, are there any good quality 3rd party car docks that are not crap? I thought the $30 was also a bit high for a piece of plastic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300374965092 under 9 bucks shipped for a moto charger.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That 50mb would not last me long, although I only used 500MB the month of December (my first month) according to Verizon, I have a wifi connection, at home, work, friends houses (cause i set em all up lol) and even my favorite bars... so I am sure my usage is a hell of a lot higher than that

50MB is better than 0MB ;)

output voltage 5DC - 5%

http://www.handhelditems.com/search/?categories_id=&q=droid&search_in_description=1&x=39&y=3

Back