Droid

So if I walk into a Verizon store on the 22nd, will it have 2.1 already installed, or easily upgraded to it right there in store that day ?

And would you all recommend the Droid over the Nexus-1 ? I am on T-Mobile now with no contract on my old BB, looking for a new phone. T-Mobile has been very spotty lately, dropped calls out of nowhere, at least once per day if on the phone a lot.

Also hate AT+T, bought the iPhone3G almost 2 years ago, and their service sucked balls. The iPhone itself was cool, didn't love it or hate it, it was ok.

Just as kirbyrj said, it's a OTA update. no need to do the updates in-store as you'll get the update (and future updates) over the air.

I've read a review that said the voice/call quality wasn't quite as good on the Nexus-1 as it was on the Motorola Droid. Having owned the Moto Droid for almost two weeks now I must say that the call quality is better then any cell phone I've ever used. The built in speaker is LOUD and pretty much distortion free. Even if I have the volume maxed out it remains distortion free!

Reception is VERY good as well... YMMV, but for me in areas that AT&T was really poor Verizon has 2-4 bars (out of four). I have yet to have a dropped call.

As a battery longevity test I turned off GPS, auto-sync, blue tooth, wi-fi and turned the screen to 30% brightness. I've managed to stay unplugged since Monday morning. Currently the battery reads 20%. Granted that's with fairly lite use (little bit of web surfing and a few quick calls). With heavy use it still lasts all day so long as you're not using the navigation. I typically keep GPS off to conserve battery power unless I need to use it. Regardless that's still respectable for a phone of this caliber.

Do note that I've personally not had the chance to mess with the Nexus-1 yet. But I really don't feel like I'm missing out much if any at all. I like having the physical keyboard that the droid offers.

Having said that if you really want the nexus one you can likely pick it up at the local verizon store in the coming months according to what I've heard at www.engadget.com
:cool:

I have been debating whether to try out the droid phone now maybe I will. Thanks for the info

Man the more I use my Droid the more I love it. Very good phone so custamizable compared to my Los iPhone 3gs.

Having said that if you really want the nexus one you can likely pick it up at the local verizon store in the coming months according to what I've heard at www.engadget.com
:cool:

N1 has been confirmed going to Verizon when the phone launched on the 5th of Jan by google. it's even shown on the google.com/phone page, so all those on Verizon will be able to purchase within the next few months.

Man the more I use my Droid the more I love it. Very good phone so custamizable compared to my Los iPhone 3gs.

Yep. Love my Droid and don't miss my old iPhone 3G at all. My only complaint with the Droid right now is it seems to not be able to swap from 3G to 1X without dropping the phone call. iPhone could bounce between 3G and EDGE no problem.

Yep. Love my Droid and don't miss my old iPhone 3G at all. My only complaint with the Droid right now is it seems to not be able to swap from 3G to 1X without dropping the phone call. iPhone could bounce between 3G and EDGE no problem.

CDMA works different from GSM, so there is no "switching" between 1x and EV-DO in a call - all calls are always on 1x.

In GSM, there are two distinctly different technologies/air interfaces, which is why the GSM-3G handoff is sometimes botched. But in CDMA there is only one air interface.

Your problems are likely due to something else, since the Droid will always use 1x for voice like any other CDMA phone. :)

Has anyone else heard anymore on the 2.1 update that was rumored to be pushed OTA today? I've been checking my phone like mad cuz I really want 2.1 on my Droid (without rooting it and manually installing it, I'd rather have it fully functional and optimized for Verizon)!

Do they automatically push the update/notification to the phone or do I have to keep checking the "system updates" option on the phone to get it? I got my Droid after the 2.0.1 push.

Info please!!

Has anyone else heard anymore on the 2.1 update that was rumored to be pushed OTA today? I've been checking my phone like mad cuz I really want 2.1 on my Droid (without rooting it and manually installing it, I'd rather have it fully functional and optimized for Verizon)!

Do they automatically push the update/notification to the phone or do I have to keep checking the "system updates" option on the phone to get it? I got my Droid after the 2.0.1 push.

Info please!!

Last I checked, it was rumored to be on January 22, so you've got another 24-36 hours or so of waiting.

The phone should automatically detect the update when its available.

Last I checked, it was rumored to be on January 22, so you've got another 24-36 hours or so of waiting.

The phone should automatically detect the update when its available.

Ahh, my bad, I was so anxious I guess I subtracted a day in my mind and thought it was today, heh.

Thanks!

Ahh, my bad, I was so anxious I guess I subtracted a day in my mind and thought it was today, heh.

Thanks!

Just FYI, if they're doing it in a logical fashion, the rollout will be staggered. Meaning they will issue the update to a certain subset of users, then expand to more, etc. otherwise they would be feeding too many people too much data at once. That's how T-Mobile has handled all the previous Android updates. I received the updates on my G1 within a couple of days (sometimes the day of) the rollouts.

Just FYI, if they're doing it in a logical fashion, the rollout will be staggered. Meaning they will issue the update to a certain subset of users, then expand to more, etc. otherwise they would be feeding too many people too much data at once. That's how T-Mobile has handled all the previous Android updates. I received the updates on my G1 within a couple of days (sometimes the day of) the rollouts.

:(. Can anyone that got Droid before the 2.0.1 update verify that's how VZW did it last time? I'm around NY city, so hopefully we take precedence, hah. I reeeally want the new Gallery and a faster GUI :D.

I believe they did do a staggered rollout of 2.0.1. i know I got tired of waiting for my update notice, so I updated manually.

:(. Can anyone that got Droid before the 2.0.1 update verify that's how VZW did it last time? I'm around NY city, so hopefully we take precedence, hah. I reeeally want the new Gallery and a faster GUI :D.

Yes it was staggered with the release of 2.0.1. I got my update on the day it was announced though so I didn't have to wait a week or anything.

Just download 2.1 gallery.apk you can have all features from 2.1 by just installing the apk files.
Also I recommend gde home replacement which can be had off the marketplace for $3 and is very snappy and has a sweet cube effect when switching pages. Dolphin browser just came out with version 2.0 and is huge improvement over stock browser IMO with pinch to zoom aswell as syncing ur bookmarks to ur Google. Account.

Yes it was staggered with the release of 2.0.1. I got my update on the day it was announced though so I didn't have to wait a week or anything.

Cool, thanks. Did they even announce 2.0.1 was coming before it was pushed or was it just like a surprise or rumor like 2.1 is now?

Just download 2.1 gallery.apk you can have all features from 2.1 by just installing the apk files.
Also I recommend gde home replacement which can be had off the marketplace for $3 and is very snappy and has a sweet cube effect when switching pages. Dolphin browser just came out with version 2.0 and is huge improvement over stock browser IMO with pinch to zoom aswell as syncing ur bookmarks to ur Google. Account.

Do you gotta root the phone to install the .apk files? I saw that home app in the market, but it just looked like it changed the theme/GUI and didn't add much functionality, so I didn't get it.

I've used the Dolphin browser since I got the phone and think it's a must have for the phone. The new 2.0 version is decent though. They changed the whole menu interface completely, but I think it was for the better too. It doesn't seem any faster than the stock browser, but tabbed browsing is the shit :D.

Last edited:

I noticed the dolphin browser using like 30% of my battery after I'd say 5 minutes of browsing. Uninstalled. Stock is fine.

I noticed the dolphin browser using like 30% of my battery after I'd say 5 minutes of browsing. Uninstalled. Stock is fine.

Are you referring to the battery consumption page? Because that only refers to how you have been using the phone (i.e. what part of your usage since you last unplugged has taken the most battery power), not an absolute "this draws 30% of your battery every hour" or something similar. In other words, if I exclusively used the navigation since I unplugged the phone, it would let me know that something like 40% of my battery consumption since I unplugged can be attributed to my use of the Maps application.

I sincerely doubt the Dolphin browser is any worse in terms of battery usage.

The update that has been being pushed out this and everyone should be getting tomorrow is not Android 2.1. The update is a reworked version of 2.0.1 that allows the Facebook app to to updated in the market and speculation is that it is prepping the Droid for the 2.1 update at a unspecified date.

The update that has been being pushed out this and everyone should be getting tomorrow is not Android 2.1. The update is a reworked version of 2.0.1 that allows the Facebook app to to updated in the market and speculation is that it is prepping the Droid for the 2.1 update at a unspecified date.

Source?

If they're pushing a rehash of 2.0.1, wouldn't they just call it 2.0.2 or something then?

Where have they said that the Droid would get 2.1 update?

I'm going to be honest: I'm too lazy to find the links.

BUT! during the press conference for the Nexus One they were asked whether the other android phones would be receiving the 2.1 update, and they confirmed that yes, as long as the phone was capable, they would update them accordingly. I believe the Droid was even specified.

I'm going to be honest: I'm too lazy to find the links.

BUT! during the press conference for the Nexus One they were asked whether the other android phones would be receiving the 2.1 update, and they confirmed that yes, as long as the phone was capable, they would update them accordingly. I believe the Droid was even specified.

I remember that, but I guess my point in there has been no official announcement. I think those guys were just saying things. I hope I am wrong.

I remember that, but I guess my point in there has been no official announcement. I think those guys were just saying things. I hope I am wrong.

"those guys" were the bigwigs at google and motorola.... I don't see their motivation for lying, especially given the open nature and design of Android.

So I guess no one has got any android updates today? My phone still says it's currently up to date :(.

So I guess no one has got any android updates today? My phone still says it's currently up to date :(.

Doesn't look like it. I was expecting it though since we hadn't heard anything official or even leaked.

Anybody having issues with ghost touches? My droid goes thru random episodes where an icon on the home screen will flicker on/off and then the top bar menu seems like it wants to come down and is it flickers. Sometimes the screen becomes non-responsive for 15-20 seconds. Not sure if its a hardware issue or something I installed. I don't really install much from the app store though and it's all pretty mainstream.

If it's a hardware issue, can I talk to Verizon or Moto about getting it replaced?

There is no ETA on 2.1, but some folks believe it'll be coming in March. Remember that the 2.1 source was posted after the Nexus One unveiling, so Motorola hasn't had a lot of time with it. Unlike HTC, who got to play with it a lot earlier.

Anybody having issues with ghost touches? My droid goes thru random episodes where an icon on the home screen will flicker on/off and then the top bar menu seems like it wants to come down and is it flickers. Sometimes the screen becomes non-responsive for 15-20 seconds. Not sure if its a hardware issue or something I installed. I don't really install much from the app store though and it's all pretty mainstream.

If it's a hardware issue, can I talk to Verizon or Moto about getting it replaced?

Look thoguh some of the apps you have installed. if any look suspect, uninstall them.

I've heard a couple stories about people having their phone dial out to people on their contact list... my first thought there is they have a runaway/buggy app.

You may also want to try to do a power down via power button at the top of the phone.

if all else fails do a complete phone reset that takes your phone back to factory defults.
to do that goto Settings -> Privacy -> Factory Data Reset

***Ninja edit...
Do you have Advanced Task Killer installed?
That can kill off apps that like to hog up system resources (making your phone slow to respond).

Well, I've been a Droid owner for almost a week now, I upgraded last Sunday from a Blackberry Storm. I hated the Storm so much I paid the full retail price to upgrade...and $640 (after taxes) so far has been worth it. I just bought the multimedia dock today, so I'm going to start using my phone as an alarm clock.

Favorite apps so far:

Dolphin Browser
Aldiko (ebook reader)
Pandora
Shazam
Meridian
Layar
Gmote

Favorite games:

Abduction: World Attack (paid for this one)
Friction Mobile
Frozen Bubble

Anyone know if they're going to release a Kindle app for Android? Honestly, if they released a Kindle app I'd sell my iPod Touch.

Well, I've been a Droid owner for almost a week now, I upgraded last Sunday from a Blackberry Storm. I hated the Storm so much I paid the full retail price to upgrade...and $640 (after taxes) so far has been worth it. I just bought the multimedia dock today, so I'm going to start using my phone as an alarm clock.

You know you can use the phone as an alarm without the dock.... right?

You know you can use the phone as an alarm without the dock.... right?

Yeah, I know, but if it's going to replace my alarm clock altogether, I'd like a dock so that I can check the time with just a quick look if I happen to wake up early or something.

Is it just me or does the alarm clock snooze by just pulling the notification bar down? It's hard to say for sure cause I'm so damn tired when it happens.

Yeah, I know, but if it's going to replace my alarm clock altogether, I'd like a dock so that I can check the time with just a quick look if I happen to wake up early or something.

I suppose that's easier than just picking it up and hitting the button the top.

It's too bright in the dock even in "night" mode.

Yeah it is. I wish you could just have it dark red/blue numbers across a totally black background. Any bright light in my room annoys me when trying to sleep. I've seen clocks in the market like what I described, but I still don't have a dock for it.

Does anyone know of an app that allows you to open other apps just by bumping the phone on a table in a certain direction? I've heard of one for iPhone and thought it sounded like a good idea and want to try it. With an accelerometer as sensitive as the iPhones I know it can be done and would be surprised if there isn't one already. I'm sure if I at least knew the name of the app I could find it, but I don't. Anyone heard of this or know what its called?

Look thoguh some of the apps you have installed. if any look suspect, uninstall them.

I've heard a couple stories about people having their phone dial out to people on their contact list... my first thought there is they have a runaway/buggy app.

You may also want to try to do a power down via power button at the top of the phone.

if all else fails do a complete phone reset that takes your phone back to factory defults.
to do that goto Settings -> Privacy -> Factory Data Reset

***Ninja edit...
Do you have Advanced Task Killer installed?
That can kill off apps that like to hog up system resources (making your phone slow to respond).

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately I uninstalled all the apps, did a factory reset, hard reset, and it's still glitching. VZW said they'll send me a replacement. Hopefully it's not all banged up because mines in pristine condition.

Has anyone tried any of these invisible sheilds? The crappy screen protector I got at the Verizon store just attracts way too much debris and smears really bad. I just wanted to get a vouch for it before it got it. I want to get the whole phone protector, but dunno if it'd be worth it since I already have a hard rubber case on it too.

Thanks!

Back