Droid

Camera still sucks imo. For 5megapixel the quality is terrible. Dunno if it's just the settings. my LG Dare took better pics.

Well, considering all the other things it does better than an LG Dare, I'm okay with a slightly lower quality camera that still takes decent point and shoots for instant posting on facebook.

Okay is it possible to get a Droid with 0 minute voice plan? And then use sipdroid or something to get voice... and worst case pay the $0.25 minute if i really have to make a call?

I've never had a cell phone, I've convinced everyone to just msg me on AIM if they need me. I'd rarely actually want to use voice :/.

--edit--

Well we'll see what happens. I ordered with only a unlimited dataplan and 0 mintues/month, $49/month. I also realized I get 8% off through work, and I should be able to apply it to a soon-to-be existing account. This will be pretty dope it if works. Hope Gizmo5 opens up soon, I don't want to have to deal with someone else :/.

Last edited:
Can you set the phone to always forward to voicemail? I know you can do it number by number...

Okay is it possible to get a Droid with 0 minute voice plan? And then use sipdroid or something to get voice... and worst case pay the $0.25 minute if i really have to make a call?

I've never had a cell phone, I've convinced everyone to just msg me on AIM if they need me. I'd rarely actually want to use voice :/.

--edit--

Well we'll see what happens. I ordered with only a unlimited dataplan and 0 mintues/month, $49/month. I also realized I get 8% off through work, and I should be able to apply it to a soon-to-be existing account. This will be pretty dope it if works. Hope Gizmo5 opens up soon, I don't want to have to deal with someone else :/.

I doubt that will work but if it does please let me know...

Using my new droid that I just received from fedex, keyboard isn't as bad as I thought although my right thumb is gettin a good stretch from it

Boo plan failed. I ordered through Dell & picked the no voice plan, Verizon then put a hold on the order. Called them and they said the no voice plan is no longer available, its for businesses only and some 3rd parties have not yet updated their systems. Gay. I tried googling and seems like that guy wasn't just BSing. :( Oh well. Hope Dell ships today.

I was playing with a friends droid, the only thing I didn't like about the keyboard was its too smooth. You can't feel the keys easy enough. Even the F & J the little bump is so small I couldn't really feel it. Better than nothing though.

Boo plan failed. I ordered through Dell & picked the no voice plan, Verizon then put a hold on the order. Called them and they said the no voice plan is no longer available, its for businesses only and some 3rd parties have not yet updated their systems. Gay. I tried googling and seems like that guy wasn't just BSing. :( Oh well. Hope Dell ships today.

I was playing with a friends droid, the only thing I didn't like about the keyboard was its too smooth. You can't feel the keys easy enough. Even the F & J the little bump is so small I couldn't really feel it. Better than nothing though.

You get used to it. Personally I can't use the onscreen keyboard as it's too sensitive, but the physical works great imo.

You get used to it. Personally I can't use the onscreen keyboard as it's too sensitive, but the physical works great imo.

Took a little getting used to, but it works ok after a few days with it. I like the keyboard on my env2 better, but you can't have everything I guess.

I agree that the keyboard leaves much to be desired, but it isn't completely useless.

For quick and concise texts or searches, I can use the on-screen keyboard lightening fast. To me, it the on-screen keyboard feels just as accurate and smooth as the iPhone one.
For longer text messages and data input, I've gotten used to using the hardware keyboard with its very small keys. It takes a little getting used to if you have larger digits. I still end up mashing 3 keys at once every now-and-then.

I like the keyboard, it completely kills the urge to try to respond to any SMS while driving but is easy to master otherwise :)

I still love mine. The only issue I have is that the battery cover comes off too easily. I may have to get a case for it.

my battery cover is pretty snug. it was a bit of a struggle to remove it earlier.

Anybody that is looking for decent screen protector I just bought Skinomi (screen only, but you can get a full body one) for my Droid. Took me about 5 mins to put it on and after a couple of days I can't even tell there difference lol. A really great product with life time replacements. Don't buy the ones from Verizon because they cost twice as much and are horrible tons of air bubbles, scratches easily and they don't feel smooth...

http://www.amazon.com/Skinomi-TechS...e=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1261402893&sr=8-2-spell

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I put two pieces of electrical tape on the battery to make the padding thicker. It's much better now. Plus Motorola is sending me a new cover.

Anybody that is looking for decent screen protector I just bought Skinomi (screen only, but you can get a full body one) for my Droid. Took me about 5 mins to put it on and after a couple of days I can't even tell there difference lol. A really great product with life time replacements. Don't buy the ones from Verizon because they cost twice as much and are horrible tons of air bubbles, scratches easily and they don't feel smooth...

http://www.amazon.com/Skinomi-TechS...e=UTF8&s=wireless&qid=1261402893&sr=8-2-spell

is the screen still as responsive?
i bought the invisiblesheild for my ipod touch and noticed a drop in responsiveness and wondering the same about this skinomi product

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I was curious about this as well, since I already have a chip in my screen.

How'd you manage to get a CHIP in your droid's screen? I've been using mine for like a month now with no scratches what so ever on the screen. I don't use a protector at all currently.

im using ghost armor on my screen. cant tell a difference. i never use the physical keyboard, so if it was not as responsive, it would drive me nuts.

I dropped the phone on hardwood from my chair (about 1.5 ft fall), it landed face down and must have landed on a tiny piece of dirt/debris. The chip is TINY, most people can't see it at all but of course it drives me crazy.

I dropped the phone on hardwood from my chair (about 1.5 ft fall), it landed face down and must have landed on a tiny piece of dirt/debris. The chip is TINY, most people can't see it at all but of course it drives me crazy.

yeah that would drive me crazy too, if you have the insurance from verizon, i would return it for another.

I guess if you dont have the insurance you'd be better off buying a new one on ebay for $400

I guess if you dont have the insurance you'd be better off buying a new one on ebay for $400

The only way you can get one on ebay for 400 is if it was stolen. Wholesale on the unit is in the 525 to 540 range.

The only way you can get one on ebay for 400 is if it was stolen. Wholesale on the unit is in the 525 to 540 range.

I guess they all must be stolen if its under wholesale price, we all know wholesale prices are not BS :rolleyes:

\sarcasm

a quick search popped up some for 554 clean esn. theres a used one for 500 BIN free shipping. dont see anything for 400 that seems legit.

I guess they all must be stolen if its under wholesale price, we all know wholesale prices are not BS :rolleyes:

\sarcasm

I wish wholesale on these phones was B S. Your statement shows an inherant lack of knowledge regarding retail cellular and the rather strange business model that has been in place since its inception. I understand the cynicism of the general public with regard to retailer statements as to the actual cost of the phones to them but make no mistake about it, the retailer looses money up front only to be reimbursed weeks and months down the road.

It is a very risky business so be kind to your local retailer , he is not the one making the killing , its the carrier.

I wish wholesale on these phones was B S. Your statement shows an inherant lack of knowledge regarding retail cellular and the rather strange business model that has been in place since its inception. I understand the cynicism of the general public with regard to retailer statements as to the actual cost of the phones to them but make no mistake about it, the retailer looses money up front only to be reimbursed weeks and months down the road.

It is a very risky business so be kind to your local retailer , he is not the one making the killing , its the carrier.

Not to derail the thread, but (speaking from Verizon's perspective, at least) how do the retailers make their money? Just on the sale of hardware or is there a commission based on people signing up?

Not to derail the thread, but (speaking from Verizon's perspective, at least) how do the retailers make their money? Just on the sale of hardware or is there a commission based on people signing up?

The more expensive the hardware the least amount of money the retailer makes and the more the carrier (since data packages are involved) . A retailer makes alot more money on the free phone than on a droid. The expensive phones do provide some cash flow and so the goal is to have a mix of both. In the old days there were life time residuals but those days are gone. There are only modest, short term residuals now. A retailer is lucky to make a 9%( assuming the customer had data goin in) percent margin on a Droid after all commision if no accessories are involved in the sale. A little more if they are first time Data users

We are now forced to charge for our services since big box retailers like Walmart are selling at a loss and sending customers to us to show them how to use the phones. It is insulting to say the least.

It is getting ugly out there. My apologies for to the OP for my digression

Are you kidding? Verizon and all other carriers make their money on the plans. It's that simple. How else do you think they can afford to give away Droids for $199 when they supposedly cost like $600? Because they're not a revenue generator. Not a big one anyway.

And believe me, they're making plenty of money.

Are you kidding? Verizon and all other carriers make their money on the plans. It's that simple. How else do you think they can afford to give away Droids for $199 when they supposedly cost like $600? Because they're not a revenue generator. Not a big one anyway.

My question was directed at the retailers (in this case the question particularly directed at Jacuzzi, as he's mentioned a number of times that he is a Verizon retailer), not the carrier. The phones still cost whatever they cost, it's that the retailer eats the initial cost hoping to recoup it when the phone is sold.

The whole 3rd party wireless retailer business is really sad. They're being squeezed between low-margin online sales, corporate stores and now, big-box stores like Walmart and Best Buy. I like chatting with the guys from time to time if they're friendly, and I also understand that they're specializing in high-pressure sales.

Is that not what I just said?

The whole 3rd party wireless retailer business is really sad. They're being squeezed between low-margin online sales, corporate stores and now, big-box stores like Walmart and Best Buy. I like chatting with the guys from time to time if they're friendly, and I also understand that they're specializing in high-pressure sales.

Quite the contrary, we specialize in low pressure consultive selling. Unfortunately customers expect you to spend an hour or more with them but want to pay the Wallmart price.

More insulting is when they take your time to get educated, leave and buy it at Walmart and have the balls to come back expecting free instruction and phone book transfers and then go "postal" when you tell them that there is a charge for it. I am sure nobody in here works for free?

Last edited:
Back