• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dragon Age II

The guy who composed the music said EA rushed the game out. That it was to cash in on the first game's success, and they wanted the sequel released now.

http://au.music.ign.com/articles/115/1154594p1.html

I'll freely admit I've never played DA2. But it's apparent to me from reading the user comments about the game, that it is subpar. Really pathetic for a so called Bioware title. Oh how the mighty have fallen. But truthfully it's the same studio in name only to the powerhouse it used to be. I get a kick out of the passionate defenders.

DA2 is weird. I enjoy the hell out of it and I think it does some things better than recent Bioware games, but I notice a lot of problems it has too. My main focus now is just having fun with the game though. When I beat it or get sick of it I'll figure out where my feelings settle. It may end up being Bioware's worst game so far, but considering the company's pedigree that still puts it in a good position.
 
Ok so far (20 hours in) i really enjoy the game. A lot of things have me more excited to play it than DA:O. But heres what shocked me. Did it shock you too?:

First off, you essentially only get to be in the city...which suprised me. So ud think, with such a small world (just a city and outlying areas) , each place you went would be unique and specially made. Yet almost everywhere...is the same template with a different environment on it. Its like the whole game is full of the "Morrigan" mission DLC from DA:O. We all hated that mission cause you went into the fade and the fade is the fade...just walk ways that look the same. I am shocked. Its upsetting because when DA:O had a area that was a copy template of another area, it was understandable because there were like 10,000 areas in that game. But this game in comparison has 1 tenth that at most yet it way worse than DA:O in regards to original unique side quest environments.
 
Ok so far (20 hours in) i really enjoy the game. A lot of things have me more excited to play it than DA:O. But heres what shocked me. Did it shock you too?:

First off, you essentially only get to be in the city...which suprised me. So ud think, with such a small world (just a city and outlying areas) , each place you went would be unique and specially made. Yet almost everywhere...is the same template with a different environment on it. Its like the whole game is full of the "Morrigan" mission DLC from DA:O. We all hated that mission cause you went into the fade and the fade is the fade...just walk ways that look the same. I am shocked. Its upsetting because when DA:O had a area that was a copy template of another area, it was understandable because there were like 10,000 areas in that game. But this game in comparison has 1 tenth that at most yet it way worse than DA:O in regards to original unique side quest environments.

Yeah its due to how rushed it was. DAO was released only 18 months ago. So they probably had 12-15 months to develop it.
 
I agree, the amount of area recycling is sickening for the number of areas there are compared to the first game. Seriously, what have they been working on all year if not the art and level design??

That said, so far (about 10 hours in maybe) I like it, but there are lots of little issues that nip at my good graces of the game all making me want to reconsider liking it. The story and character are what keep it enjoyable, but at the same time...

I'll have to see if I think it's worth it when I've finished playing it.
 
I agree, the amount of area recycling is sickening for the number of areas there are compared to the first game. Seriously, what have they been working on all year if not the art and level design??

That said, so far (about 10 hours in maybe) I like it, but there are lots of little issues that nip at my good graces of the game all making me want to reconsider liking it. The story and character are what keep it enjoyable, but at the same time...

I'll have to see if I think it's worth it when I've finished playing it.

I'm about 20 hours in, the recycling gets so much worse after your next time jump.
 
The guy who composed the music said EA rushed the game out. That it was to cash in on the first game's success, and they wanted the sequel released now.

http://au.music.ign.com/articles/115/1154594p1.html

I'll freely admit I've never played DA2. But it's apparent to me from reading the user comments about the game, that it is subpar. Really pathetic for a so called Bioware title. Oh how the mighty have fallen. But truthfully it's the same studio in name only to the powerhouse it used to be. I get a kick out of the passionate defenders.

I'm surprised Zur commented on this. EA aren't going to be happy!

There is a huge amount of negativity surrounding the game on the forums, it has put me off. I understand the final game is better than the dreadful demo but I'm definitely going to pass on this one. I don't think I'd even pick it up cheaply later either. It feels odd to call time on DA series after only 2 games, but EAs decision to make a quick cash-in at the expense of the game we could have got leaves me cold and disinterested.
 
Last edited:
You think 4Chan gives a shit one way or the other if the game is good? They're doing it be be douche bag trolls. The "opinion" is based on a rushed demo and whatever other BS is floating around. Most people that have actually played the game seem to like it.

4Chan despite their malice rarely do anything without a reason to, it's been triggered by turning a very good game into a very bad one. I personally do not have issue with the average user score the game has, it doesn't deserve better IMO, it's just a consolized piece of trash. I love the original and I have literally zero inclination to play this after the demo. To go from GOTY for me to having zero interest is deserving of a bad score.
 
4Chan despite their malice rarely do anything without a reason to, it's been triggered by turning a very good game into a very bad one. I personally do not have issue with the average user score the game has, it doesn't deserve better IMO, it's just a consolized piece of trash. I love the original and I have literally zero inclination to play this after the demo. To go from GOTY for me to having zero interest is deserving of a bad score.

I'm not even going to bother arguing with you. Its pointless. The demo was shit and poorly done.
 
Mike Laidlaw interviewed after the release of DA 2.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-laidlaw-a-defence-of-dragon-age-ii-interview

Take note that he says they'll pour over the reviews, and study the user feedback (not the day one stuff), to learn what worked and what didn't. Yes, they do listen, yes they do make mistakes, and yes they do learn. Personally, I think they made some bold moves that really paid off.
 
Last edited:

Well Laidlaw is good at spinning things and avoiding saying much of anything. "Artfully re-use areas" what the heck does that mean? No Mr. Laidlaw you reused areas because your bosses wanted to rush a game out instead of giving it the time it needed. There is no such thing as artfully copy and pasting areas, especially as poorly as its done here.
 
Mike Laidlaw interviewed after the release of DA 2.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-laidlaw-a-defence-of-dragon-age-ii-interview

Take note that he says they'll pour over the reviews, and study the user feedback (not the day one stuff), to learn what worked and what didn't. Yes, they do listen, yes they do make mistakes, and yes they do learn. Personally, I think they made some bold moves that really paid off.

You must be joking. BioWare has learned nothing, and they never will. They're just another greedy dev now making shitty games that appeals mostly to the mainstream. If they cared at all about their fans, they would make games for them. Mass Effect series and Dragon Age 2 are not games for BioWare fans.
 
I would say the majority of the negative reviews, come from people who were dissappointed with Bioware's/EA's changes compared to the original, whereas they completely overlook the fact that this game as a standalone is quite good.

So I think maybe we can stop with the "omg they completely changed everything from the original" arguement. We're on the 17th page right now. It's been beat to death.
 
You must be joking. BioWare has learned nothing, and they never will. They're just another greedy dev now making shitty games that appeals mostly to the mainstream. If they cared at all about their fans, they would make games for them. Mass Effect series and Dragon Age 2 are not games for BioWare fans.

Come here just to bash the game? How nice of you.
 
I would say the majority of the negative reviews, come from people who were dissappointed with Bioware's/EA's changes compared to the original, whereas they completely overlook the fact that this game as a standalone is quite good.

So I think maybe we can stop with the "omg they completely changed everything from the original" arguement. We're on the 17th page right now. It's been beat to death.

It's a sequel. How odd that people expect more of the same? You don't expect Doom 4 to be a tactical sim game do you?
 
It's a sequel. How odd that people expect more of the same? You don't expect Doom 4 to be a tactical sim game do you?

Why would anyone expect more of the same, when the developers were very clear about the changes they were making? They didn't trick anyone. Seems like wasted effort to complain.
 
Who cares if they stated beforehand that they were going to turn the game to shit? That's not the point. The point is that their decision to do so were batshit insane, not that people were surprised by it. BioWare making shit doesn't surprise anyone anymore, but for all oldschool fans, Dragon Age 1 was a pleasant surprise. They actually made something worth playing, something that didn't seem catered to consoles. They were on to a good thing and totally killed what could've been a great franchise.
 
I agree that they did consolize it more compared to the original. And it's a very disturbing trend that pisses me off to no end. But they game is still decent, and far from "shitty". Granted, they didn't make the best decisions on terms of the direction they took the gameplay, but it's an enjoyable experience for anyone who can enjoy it for what it is. And anyone that can't, just wasted $60 of their money. Which is a shame for them :)
 
Who cares if they stated beforehand that they were going to turn the game to shit? That's not the point. The point is that their decision to do so were batshit insane, not that people were surprised by it. BioWare making shit doesn't surprise anyone anymore, but for all oldschool fans, Dragon Age 1 was a pleasant surprise. They actually made something worth playing, something that didn't seem catered to consoles. They were on to a good thing and totally killed what could've been a great franchise.

This isn't needed. This might be a thread for discussions about the game, but I'm willing to bet you've only played the demo. Or maybe you're one of those that only watched videos of it.

It's been said before, the game hasn't really changed. What's changed is the style. The core game play and combat is EXACTLY the same on the PC as Origins. Exactly.

So what are you complaining about again? That Bioware tried a slight different direction? That you're mostly limited to one city? That they updated the graphics and gave the main characters a voice? Tell me please what you hate so much about the game you've never played.
 
The core gameplay and combat is exactly the same? What are you smoking? Now it sounds like you haven't played the first one, at all. This new one plays like a frantic action game, where as the old one plays like an oldschool party based RPG. And I did play the demo first, but I even gave retail a try.
 
That you're mostly limited to one city?

This is a big reservation of mine with DA II. I didn't like running around the city in the Baldur's Gate (OMG I just said that) or in the early portion of NWN. Maybe it's personal preference but when I go questing in some epic fantasy setting I like to travel the countryside.
 
The core gameplay and combat is exactly the same? What are you smoking? Sounds like you haven't played the first one, at all. This new one plays like a frantic action game, where as the old one plays like an oldschool party based RPG.

Wrong again. I just finished Origins a week ago. You're talking about the animations. But the combat is the same. Do you understand what that means? Same tactics, same type of attack options, abilities, modes, etc etc, pause tactic gameplay. It's all there.

Thanks for not addressing anything else in my post.
 
Wrong again? Where was I wrong the first time? Maybe wrong like where you assumed I haven't played the sequel?

What you write is not worth addressing, you're obviously in denial if you can't see the major differences between these two games.

But with that said, don't even get me started on how linear this game is, and how just like with Mass Effect, it doesn't matter what you do or say, you'll still be taken down that same set of rails.
 
Wrong again? Where was I wrong the first time? Maybe wrong like where you assumed I haven't played the sequel?

What you write is not worth addressing, you're obviously in denial if you can't see the major differences between these two games.

But with that said, don't even get me started on how linear this game is, and how just like with Mass Effect, it doesn't matter what you do or say, you'll still be taken down that same set of rails.

Haha. So lets see. You watched all the videos, played the demo, and then bought the game fully knowing what it was like, and still came here to bitch. Is that correct?

Again, there are no differences in the combat really, aside from the faster animations and style. Even other people (who have played the game) have echoed the same feelings.

Also, this game is not a sequel. It's just branded that way because of EA.
 
Mike Laidlaw interviewed after the release of DA 2.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-laidlaw-a-defence-of-dragon-age-ii-interview

Take note that he says they'll pour over the reviews, and study the user feedback (not the day one stuff), to learn what worked and what didn't. Yes, they do listen, yes they do make mistakes, and yes they do learn. Personally, I think they made some bold moves that really paid off.

Interesting read and I can surmise the guy is a charlatan who doesn't answer any questions honestly!

Come on Wabe you were his harshest critic before the game surfaced and now what is your opinion of the man?
 
This game is pretty damn good. My brother who's also playing it enjoying it tremendously and so is my friend. The graphics are VERY good if you turn everything to high and have dx11 enabled + high res textures.
 
For me the real deal breaker was the lack of free camera.

After getting into the city and meeting up the rogue dwarf guy I stopped and reflected on it and realized I didn't like it, but not for the lack of ability to change the armor completely of my companions, it's more about how the game used to feel like a RPG, being able to roam the world and mosey on over to my quests as I saw fit in DAO to being put on a log ride, propelled to move forward on the track they confined me to. I was told my brother, "It made the original Final Fantasy feel like Oblivion compared to DA2."
 
I did notice, after playing again last night, that the fighting is a lot faster paced then the original. You can still pause it though. But the attack animations feels like there on crack or something. It doesn't feel smooth.

I like the game, but it's console-ized for sure.
 
I did notice, after playing again last night, that the fighting is a lot faster paced then the original. You can still pause it though. But the attack animations feels like there on crack or something. It doesn't feel smooth.

I like the game, but it's console-ized for sure.

Some of the knock back animations are "interesting" so to say. In DA:O you used to stumble back, have to recover. Now it's HEY I GOT HIT HARD, OKAY GOOD TO GO.
 
Some of the knock back animations are "interesting" so to say. In DA:O you used to stumble back, have to recover. Now it's HEY I GOT HIT HARD, OKAY GOOD TO GO.


Umm, there are a LOT of times when my mage will get ran at, then staggered around until finally I can move her out of the way and bring in a tank to get aggro.

There are also skills that affect this for warriors, which you might have and not notice.

Also against ogres even, the knock down + charge throws you everywhere if you don't move out of the way.
 
Umm, there are a LOT of times when my mage will get ran at, then staggered around until finally I can move her out of the way and bring in a tank to get aggro.

There are also skills that affect this for warriors, which you might have and not notice.

Also against ogres even, the knock down + charge throws you everywhere if you don't move out of the way.

In all honesty I have yet to have my character(s) stumble around.
 
Umm, there are a LOT of times when my mage will get ran at, then staggered around until finally I can move her out of the way and bring in a tank to get aggro.

There are also skills that affect this for warriors, which you might have and not notice.

Also against ogres even, the knock down + charge throws you everywhere if you don't move out of the way.

Yeah there's been a few times my mage kept getting knocked back and almost died.
 
At least if you screw up picking your attributes you can buy a potion in the Black Emporium to let you respec. I haven't tried it, but I am pretty sure I saw them for sale.
 
At least if you screw up picking your attributes you can buy a potion in the Black Emporium to let you respec. I haven't tried it, but I am pretty sure I saw them for sale.

Worth the Black Emporium DLC alone. Those potions only cost 1 gold too.

That and the mirror you can change your appearance at. Love it :)
 
Back
Top