• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dragon Age II

Worth the Black Emporium DLC alone. Those potions only cost 1 gold too.

That and the mirror you can change your appearance at. Love it :)

That really makes the DLC look like a money grab if respec potions are only available in DLC content. RPG newbies are probably going to spec their characters poorly, and a simple option to change stats is a good option to prevent them from being discouraged. Forcing them to pay money on top of the original cost of the game is dump.

This assumes that the respec potions (and the mirror, to a smaller extent) aren't available unless you get the DLC. It will probably get modded in by someone but that's not the point.
 
The only reason I got the Black Emporium is because it came with the game when I bought it on steam. If it didn't I would not have bothered with it. I haven't bought any DLC by itself. If it comes with a game in a bundle then I have no problem with it.
 
I have to retract any negative earlier comments I made about the demo.

I am really enjoying the new battle system, it is much more frantic and fast paced than previous battle systems but there is still a level of tactics that you need to employ. The characters/voice acting could be better but so far I'm really digging it.

Plus the game looks waaaaay better once I installed the hi-res texture patch.
 
Go to the Bioware social site:
http://social.bioware.com/user_home.php

Login with your account, then hover over "My profile" and click on "Your registered game promo's."

This takes you to all the game promos. You should see the Black emporium and other things in here. Click on "more info - pc (or mac if you are using that) and it will let you download it there.

Unlike Dragon age: Origins some of these things (Black emporium/exiled prince, etc) don't install automatically wehreas some are already installed with the game.

Thank you very much! I was looking for that forever.
 
I just realized what the sidequest structure reminds me of: City of Heroes. You enter a whole lot of instanced side dungeons that are basically just slightly revamped versions of each other using 5 different tilesets and perform the same tasks in each one: recover some item, kill some named guy, investigate some disturbance, eliminate all enemies inside, etc. etc.
 
That really makes the DLC look like a money grab if respec potions are only available in DLC content. RPG newbies are probably going to spec their characters poorly, and a simple option to change stats is a good option to prevent them from being discouraged. Forcing them to pay money on top of the original cost of the game is dump.

This assumes that the respec potions (and the mirror, to a smaller extent) aren't available unless you get the DLC. It will probably get modded in by someone but that's not the point.

What money grab? Its free with every new copy of the game. The only people that will have to buy it at ones that buy keys from Ebay or grey market sites.
 
I just realized what the sidequest structure reminds me of: City of Heroes. You enter a whole lot of instanced side dungeons that are basically just slightly revamped versions of each other using 5 different tilesets and perform the same tasks in each one: recover some item, kill some named guy, investigate some disturbance, eliminate all enemies inside, etc. etc.

Yes. That is a lame aspect of it that is noticeable once you get further into the game. However, there are a lot more sidequests. There are plenty of new areas associated with important quests, however, so I don't feel too bad.
 
Haha. So lets see. You watched all the videos, played the demo, and then bought the game fully knowing what it was like, and still came here to bitch. Is that correct?

Again, there are no differences in the combat really, aside from the faster animations and style. Even other people (who have played the game) have echoed the same feelings.

Also, this game is not a sequel. It's just branded that way because of EA.

I don't get this "there are no differences in combat" bullshit spewing out of your hole. Obviously we're not playing the same game, the changes made results in a major difference in feel. Just the camera changes alone is major.

And look, I too can spit out something arbitrary like you, to prove my point: others agree with me. It's not just me. Like that matters.

This new game is way more oriented towards the kids and console gamers whereas the old one definitely had more nostalgic inspirations and catered more to oldschool RPG gamers. How you can deny these things, and not see the major difference in these two games is beyond me.

And again, get it in your head, I'm not complaining because I got ripped off, or because I was surprised this is how the game turned out, I knew it would be shit from the first pieces of information I heard about it. I'm complaining because they ruined what could've been a great franchise, a trilogy perhaps. I've said that twice now, and it shouldn't be necessary, please learn to read.

Lastly, you think I paid for this shit? You're out of your mind.
 
I don't get this "there are no differences in combat" bullshit spewing out of your hole. Obviously we're not playing the same game, the changes made results in a major difference in feel. Just the camera changes alone is major.

And look, I too can spit out something arbitrary like you, to prove my point: others agree with me. It's not just me. Like that matters.

This new game is way more oriented towards the kids and console gamers whereas the old one definitely had more nostalgic inspirations and catered more to oldschool RPG gamers. How you can deny these things, and not see the major difference in these two games is beyond me.

And again, get it in your head, I'm not complaining because I got ripped off, or because I was surprised this is how the game turned out, I knew it would be shit from the first pieces of information I heard about it. I'm complaining because they ruined what could've been a great franchise, a trilogy perhaps. I've said that twice now, and it shouldn't be necessary, please learn to read.

Lastly, you think I paid for this shit? You're out of your mind.

The camera changes have very little effect. The tactical camera in DAO kind of sucked. It almost never gave you a good view of the battle as it was always centered on a character. Since the combat generally takes place in smaller areas so you don't need to zoom out as much. Combat still works exactly the same. Same skills, same strategies, same classes, same stat systems, many of the same combinations.

PS: If you don't plan to give a reasoned and intelligent response to this post then don't bother. I have no interest in dealing with irrational people who blindly hate something without providing good arguments to back it up.
 
That's just it, it is. The game comes up the right res, but always windowed. I'll deal with it tonight I guess.

Check the in game settings menu. The first time I launched the game it was windowed for me too and for some reason it was unchecked in game despite being checked in the config tool.
 
I wish the towns were more populated. They feel pretty darn empty for a supposedly overcrowded town (according to the storyline). Maybe a future mod?
 
I don't get this "there are no differences in combat" bullshit spewing out of your hole. Obviously we're not playing the same game, the changes made results in a major difference in feel. Just the camera changes alone is major.

So taking away the useless top down view was major? I guess. But considering Origins had the same close up zoom levels it's really minor. It might've been a sad bit of news for some hardcore oldies, but lets be realistic. How long can you go on catering to such an old generation? Bioware is in the business of making money after all, right? Gotta keep up with the times.

So again, minor change there.

And look, I too can spit out something arbitrary like you, to prove my point: others agree with me. It's not just me. Like that matters.
IMO the people who agree with you, or rather agree that the game is a "let down" (to expectations they set themselves, and not Bioware) are stuck in the old mindset, move on.

This new game is way more oriented towards the kids and console gamers whereas the old one definitely had more nostalgic inspirations and catered more to oldschool RPG gamers. How you can deny these things, and not see the major difference in these two games is beyond me.
I really believe you're just focusing on visual changes, aesthetics if you will, and maybe combat animations. Changes to the interface to try and improve and streamline... and yes make easy for console players (who make up a very large portion of the market mind you). But the game plays exactly the same.

When was the last time you played Origins, just curious.

Honestly having never really played many "old school" rpgs I can't say DA:O felt nostaglic. I don't really see what would from looking at it now, but that's probably where you'll come in and say that I don't know what I'm talking about then.

To me, Origins felt exactly like Kotor, which I wouldn't consider an old school rpg.
 
Lastly, you think I paid for this shit? You're out of your mind.

An angry pirate. Argggggggg. Quit your bitching. The fact that you didn't buy the game just soils your entire credibility here in my opinion.

Anyways, I've been seeing a bunch of recycled dungeons so far. Which would be disappointing, but they're for mundane side quests so it doesn't bother me much.
 
That really makes the DLC look like a money grab if respec potions are only available in DLC content. RPG newbies are probably going to spec their characters poorly, and a simple option to change stats is a good option to prevent them from being discouraged. Forcing them to pay money on top of the original cost of the game is dump.

This assumes that the respec potions (and the mirror, to a smaller extent) aren't available unless you get the DLC. It will probably get modded in by someone but that's not the point.

And you know what else is funny about the Black Emporium DLC is that it sells the best equipment in the game. I bought a few pieces from there that were better than endgame armors and weapons.

Speaking of finishing the game (SPOILER ALERT), let me say this: the difficulty curve is all fucked up. The final boss encounter is considerably easier than the Rock Wraith, the duel with the Arishok and the High Dragon. Maybe it was just the fact that, with the help of the retardedly good gear I had acquired and honing in my specs and party composition, I was simply way overpowered, but even on Nightmare, I roflstomped the final boss in one try. By comparison, I had to drop the difficulty back on the Rock Wraith after failing ten billion times.
 
No, they don't read. And just keep posting the same shit over and over.

As opposed to posting cocky shit instead right? The jury is out on whether 4chan is to blame or not but irrespective it aint that well received, fact. If you like it fine.
 
As opposed to posting cocky shit instead right? The jury is out on whether 4chan is to blame or not but irrespective it aint that well received, fact. If you like it fine.

The only fact I see here is are the ones you're pulling from your nether. There has yet to be a negative review of DA2 from any place of repute (ie, obnoxious whiney prats on forums aside).

There's a reason why "user reviews" are generally ignored. Either the user is a fanboy or a trolling moron. No real middle-ground.
 
There's a reason why "user reviews" are generally ignored. Either the user is a fanboy or a trolling moron. No real middle-ground.

To be fair, there's a reason why videogame websites are of little repute as well. They get the majority of their ad revenue from the game companies that choose to advertise on their site. So I put as much merit in them, as I do user reviews.

Just try the damn demo. It gives a general, albeit vague, perception on whether you'll enjoy the game or not.
 
Lastly, you think I paid for this shit? You're out of your mind.

What makes you think that those of us who did pay for this care one iota what you think? This is a discussion reserved for people who care enough to pay for what we play, not for people like you.

Thoughts and opinions?

Absolutely... but from guys like Derangel, not from guys like you. And by the way, Derangel and I don't always get along, but I have respect for what he thinks about DA 2 because he paid for it. And yes it matters.
 
Spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate? What a joke, I'm highly suspicious of anything Bioware does now, they've lost all credibility to me (just like Blizzard).
 
I don't get this "there are no differences in combat" bullshit spewing out of your hole. Obviously we're not playing the same game, the changes made results in a major difference in feel. Just the camera changes alone is major.

And look, I too can spit out something arbitrary like you, to prove my point: others agree with me. It's not just me. Like that matters.

This new game is way more oriented towards the kids and console gamers whereas the old one definitely had more nostalgic inspirations and catered more to oldschool RPG gamers. How you can deny these things, and not see the major difference in these two games is beyond me.

And again, get it in your head, I'm not complaining because I got ripped off, or because I was surprised this is how the game turned out, I knew it would be shit from the first pieces of information I heard about it. I'm complaining because they ruined what could've been a great franchise, a trilogy perhaps. I've said that twice now, and it shouldn't be necessary, please learn to read.

Lastly, you think I paid for this shit? You're out of your mind.

Thief.
While the game may not be the bees knees, and is nowhere near the quality of DA:O, you have no right to pirate it. Oh wait, you probably stole DA:O as well.
 
As far as I know, Dragon Age 2 doesn't come with an Opinion Licence.

Not buying a game doesn't make an opinion on the game any less valid. By saying that you're invalidating the opinions of "professional" reviews and anybody who received the game as a gift or rented it. If anything, buying the game at full-price tarnishes objective opinion because the buyer has a personal and unconscious interest in justifying his/her purchase.
 
What makes you think that those of us who did pay for this care one iota what you think? This is a discussion reserved for people who care enough to pay for what we play, not for people like you.

Thoughts and opinions?

Absolutely... but from guys like Derangel, not from guys like you. And by the way, Derangel and I don't always get along, but I have respect for what he thinks about DA 2 because he paid for it. And yes it matters.

When's the last time you've said more negative things than positive about a game?

Just curious.
 
The Witcher 2.

Is that a joke? That game hasn't even come out yet. The original was pretty damn good once you downloaded the Enhanced Edition which completely revamped the game and fixed the translation. It's best to reserve judgment over a game that hasn't even been released untill it's actually released.

What is it with people going ga ga over sequels that are nothing more than stripped down shells of the original?

Are you guys aware that Dragon Age Origins was a game that was made with the PC in mind, and that the PC version was the DEFINITE version of the game?

Well, Dragon Age 2 was not made with that in mind, it was made with infecting it with the dreaded curse of consolitis. It shows man, you have users here complaining about cut and pasted dungeon scenarios, combat that plays like a button masher. This is supposed to be an epic RPG, not Street Fighter 4 with cutscenes and a story.

Jesus people, who has standards anymore? I guess I'm in the minority there.
 
I understand when a person bashes a game for it's perceived shortcomings vs their expectations for a game. What I fail to grasp or understand is how people so willingly act like lemmings and just up and buy stripped down games that are devoid of what made the originals special in the first place.

It's like they aren't even noticing it, and over the years, we've seen a majority of the games being released get WORSE, and offer you LESS content and charging you MORE for LESS.

That's what I have a hard time understanding, how people just so willingly go with that.
 
I understand when a person bashes a game for it's perceived shortcomings vs their expectations for a game. What I fail to grasp or understand is how people so willingly act like lemmings and just up and buy stripped down games that are devoid of what made the originals special in the first place.

It's like they aren't even noticing it, and over the years, we've seen a majority of the games being released get WORSE, and offer you LESS content and charging you MORE for LESS.

That's what I have a hard time understanding, how people just so willingly go with that.

It's like food, movies, music, literature, sports...everybody has a different quality standard. At the moment, it seems that the not-terrible-but-okay games are where most people's quality bar is set. I suspect the rampant fanboy-level defence of said "okay" games comes from the need to justify their $60 purchase and for everyone else to pat them on the back and tell them they didn't waste their money.

I'm not referring to DA2, just commenting in general.
 
Not buying a game doesn't make an opinion on the game any less valid. By saying that you're invalidating the opinions of "professional" reviews and anybody who received the game as a gift or rented it. If anything, buying the game at full-price tarnishes objective opinion because the buyer has a personal and unconscious interest in justifying his/her purchase.

Completely incorrect.

People who receive a game from a family member, as a gift, often experience a feeling of wanting the game to be good, since they will equate the game with the number of hours their family member had to work in order to pay for it.

Reviewers who get a game for free have a reputation to maintain and have to approach the game from that standpoint lest they tarnish their reputation.

People who pirate a game invest nothing in it, and as a result don't value it the way other people do.

Sorry, but way more often than not, you don't value what you don't pay for.
 
Completely incorrect.

People who receive a game from a family member, as a gift, often experience a feeling of wanting the game to be good, since they will equate the game with the number of hours their family member had to work in order to pay for it.

Reviewers who get a game for free have a reputation to maintain and have to approach the game from that standpoint lest they tarnish their reputation.

People who pirate a game invest nothing in it, and as a result don't value it the way other people do.

Sorry, but way more often than not, you don't value what you don't pay for.

You've actually proven my point - there is no actual need for the player to part with money to have an opinion. And reviewers supposedly have a valid opinion because of their perceived objectivity, yet they never paid for the game. Should AVP have been trashed because the reviewers didn't pay for it?

I didn't mention pirates or piracy, so don't try to pin any defence of piracy claims on me.
 
Lastly, you think I paid for this shit? You're out of your mind.

So you took the time to pirate and play a game, that you knew ahead of time was going to be awful... just so you could bitch about it?
 
So you took the time to pirate and play a game, that you knew ahead of time was going to be awful... just so you could bitch about it?

Some people buy games just so they can bitch about how ripped off they feel.

Most people knew full-well that CODMW2 was going to be terrible on PC, yet they bought it anyway. Look at the Steam "Boycott MW2" group as evidence of that.
 
Back
Top