• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Dragon Age II

It's called Dragon Age 2 because EA wanted to market against the first game. It's also because the game takes place in the same "Dragon Age". Each age is broken up into 100 years or something. And they're each named. This is the "Dragon Age", so anything that takes place within that 100 years could be referred to as "during the Dragon Age..."
 
A bit late to the party here, and I'm sure this has been mentioned, but my main problem with it is that it was longer than it needed to be. It's one of only three games this generation where I just wanted it to end. Coincidentally, Mass Effect 2 was another.

I just think that, if you don't have enough quality content to support 25 hours, cut the fluff and drop it to 20 or less. It shouldn't get to the point where I'm skipping cutscenes and sidequests because I just want to beat the game and be done with it.

Other than that, yeah, the story, characters, and setting were all weak in comparison to the first. But none of that kept me from enjoying the game. The above mentioned definitely did.
 
To be honest I had some sympathy for Meredith for what Anders did. I mean do you think I am going to stand around and tolerate that bullshit that Anders pulled and he was being all buddy buddy with me? But when she said " Kill all mages " and didn't say kill Anders made me realize that there was another agenda. She was looking for an excuse to kill all the mages.

I agree. It was a rare instance in a RPG where I actually flipflopped on my chosen path from the beginning of the game. I had taken the mage's side all the way up to that point but then Anders went full retard and blew up the chantry and I was just like "nah". Then I stuck a dagger in his back and helped Meredith.

DA2 sounds like the same mediocrity that we got from Awakenings, which I also didn't purchase. It's called voting with your wallet. Bad games are bad games, and are not worth paying for.

Awakenings should have been a DLC, not a full expansion. My biggest problem with it was that it felt anorexic and short and it was incredibly poorly balanced. So many of the new skills changed the game from challenging to trivial because they just hit so hard, and many of them made vanilla abilities flat obsolete.
 
Last edited:
If i'd were to dig the threads/posts started by the bioware devs in their forums back in 2004 about Dragon Age.

Oh boy. You'd be wondering now, what fucking game are these guys talking about.
 
Act 2 now on hard, and the game is really fun as a DW rogue. I do absolutely massive damage with assassinate.
 
While I still don't care for the repeating dungeons and city levels - the game does get better as you get further into it.

The battles are unbelievably inconsistent, though. Through about 95% of battles I just sent my team in using the AI and I have very few issues...which is polar opposite to DA1. However certain boss fights and battles with 50+ respawning minions can be pretty tough by any standards. I have to say that I really do hate how almost every boss fight has a bunch of minions that keep showing up long after the boss is dead. I'd assume this is done for the consoles, which can't show so many enemies at once. Still, it's LAME.
 
There are really only 4-5 levels in the entire game - right down to the identical same map and even the same name. Bioware just decided that not every one will have the same doors open...but the map still shows that same 'ol dungeon/house/thaig/warehouse for everything.

It's one of those things that really gives me mixed feelings about DA2. Buried beneath all of the rushed, repeated, and dumbed down nonsense really is a game that could've/should've been a fitting sequel to Dragon Age. It feels like they got about 70% done with the game and someone told them that it needed to be ready to go in 6 weeks.
 
Just finished my first playthrough. It was just ok. 7/10 for me. DAO was better IMHO.

And I had more fun playing Drakensang The River of Time then DA2. For almost 1/3 of the price, Drakensang is a true gem and hardcore RPG. :)
 
The funniest thing about DA2 is that you could have someone play it BEFORE Dragon Age: Origins and it comes off as more of a precursor. It's longer, there are more options, there are more areas, the world is bigger, there are more abilities, it's harder, etc.
Plus, because of the cameos in DA2, the plot doesn't really conflict or spoil anything either.

I think that literally the only think about DA2 that's more advanced is that it's able to run on a later version of DirectX...albeit with lots of technical issues.
 
I just got an e-mail from Bioware saying thank you for purchasing DA2, and it celebration of their 1 million copies sold, they are giving away free Mass Effect 2 codes to d/l. Instructions are in the e-mail everyone!!
 
I just got an e-mail from Bioware saying thank you for purchasing DA2, and it celebration of their 1 million copies sold, they are giving away free Mass Effect 2 codes to d/l. Instructions are in the e-mail everyone!!

Yep got mine. Of course I already own ME2. So I guess its an extra code to do something with.
 
Yeah, I beat DA2, and on my brother's recommendation, I bought ME2 like a week ago. Paid $20 for it. Damn.
 
I'll have to see if I get one of these emails, since I bought the console version.I wouldn't mind playing around with ME2 on the PC.
 
Wow...that's pretty cool. I've already got ME2 on the 360, but I'd love to play it on the PC, too.
DA2 might be a disappointment, but this is a great gesture.
 
That is gonna suck, I am enjoying the game though so far. I (for the first time in an RPG) went rogue instead of a tank or mage. I am totally ripping everyone a new one. The only drawback is that sinced I am a rogue bringing Isabella along is a bit redundant but so far it has worked. She is the only one I really want in the party for some eye candy and conversation.
 
Having 2 rogues actually isn't too bad as long as you give them some health/armor accessories. They don't clear large crowds as well as a warrior might, but they're great at dealing large amounts of damage to individuals. Having your main as a rogue can pair well with Isabella, Fenris, and Anders (I like having heal) for an all-purpose team or at least a "boss fight" team. Going with 2 warriors is probably better for misc. crowd clearing though.
 
Isabella + Merril are so far the best two party members that play well off each other imo. Not as good as classic Morgana and Alistar, but in this game they seem to have the best banter between each other, Isabella even gives Merril a nickname.
 
I can't believe what just happened.

I just entered a room in which I was attacked by six shades, a rage demon, and a desire demon. Once I defeated this lot (it took me about seven attempts), six more shades immediately spawned along with another rage demon and a fucking revenant. On Hard this fight was virtually impossible to win, so after thirty minutes of swearing and hitting my table, I had zero choice but to bump the difficulty slider all the way down to Casual

On Casual I was able to make it through these two sequences, although my Mage and my archer both went down. At which time a third group spawned! I couldn't believe it... just couldn't believe it. This time another six shade demons spawned in the accompaniment of another god damned rage demon.

I finally managed to defeat this merry band, when... queue drumroll please... a fucking arcane horror appeared with a bunch more shades.

On Casual, I barely made it through this sequence - we're talking four separate spawning incidents with high level NPCs to contend with. I don't see how it would be possible for a normal person to get through this on Hard, let alone Nightmare. Seriously, anybody who thinks that Origins was even remotely this difficult is full of shit, plain and simple.

What is this, some kind of joke?
 
Yes, DA2 is a joke, a very bad one in fact, thank you for finally seeing the light WabeWalker.
 
Yes, DA2 is a joke, a very bad one in fact, thank you for finally seeing the light WabeWalker.

You're welcome, now explain for me how you were able to get through this battle on Hard, oh Mighty one, because I haven't got a clue.

It took place on Sundermount, in a cave just past the elven camp - the map name is The Abandon Thaig. This is in Chapter Two. Also, please explain to me which fight in Origins was even half as difficult as this one? Answer: there wasn't one. Not even close.

Dumbed down? What is this, some kind of fucking joke? This area is practically impossible on Hard.
 
Last edited:
You're welcome, now explain for me how you were able to get through this battle on Hard, oh Mighty one, because I haven't got a clue.

It took place on Sundermount, in a cave just past the elven camp - the map name is The Abandon Thaig. This is in Chapter Two. Also, please explain to me which fight in Origins was even half as difficult as this one? Answer: there wasn't one. Not even close.

Dumbed down? What is this, some kind of fucking joke? This area is practically impossible on Hard.

Who knows; given how shitty DA2 is for consistency difficulty wise, it might NOT be possible?
 
Isabella + Merril are so far the best two party members that play well off each other imo. Not as good as classic Morgana and Alistar, but in this game they seem to have the best banter between each other, Isabella even gives Merril a nickname.

Isabella + Merril are so far the best two party members that play well off each other imo.

Not as good as classic Morrigan and Alistair, but in this game they seem to have the best banter between each other, Isabella even gives Merril a nickname.

Fixed that for ya.
 
Last edited:
I can't believe what just happened...

Probably just a party make-up issue. I breezed through all of the fights (*SPOILER?* except for the big dragon in the mines - I had to reload a save twice and the duel against the Arashok - I dropped difficulty down to normal because I got tired of kiting him around as a 2H war for 30 minutes; a friend told me I could fight him using my entire party later and I /facepalmed pretty hard)) on Hard.

Using Hawke (2H war), Anders (healing/DPS), Merrill (super durable DPS) and Varric (decent DPS and great at having mobs stick on Hawke) really trivialized most encounters for me. At the end of the game there was rarely even a reason to pause other than to move NPCs out of traps/AOE damage.

DA2 was a pretty decent game, but DA:O was more enjoyable for me.
 
I can't believe what just happened.

I just entered a room in which I was attacked by six shades, a rage demon, and a desire demon. Once I defeated this lot (it took me about seven attempts), six more shades immediately spawned along with another rage demon and a fucking revenant. On Hard this fight was virtually impossible to win, so after thirty minutes of swearing and hitting my table, I had zero choice but to bump the difficulty slider all the way down to Casual

On Casual I was able to make it through these two sequences, although my Mage and my archer both went down. At which time a third group spawned! I couldn't believe it... just couldn't believe it. This time another six shade demons spawned in the accompaniment of another god damned rage demon.

I finally managed to defeat this merry band, when... queue drumroll please... a fucking arcane horror appeared with a bunch more shades.

On Casual, I barely made it through this sequence - we're talking four separate spawning incidents with high level NPCs to contend with. I don't see how it would be possible for a normal person to get through this on Hard, let alone Nightmare. Seriously, anybody who thinks that Origins was even remotely this difficult is full of shit, plain and simple.

What is this, some kind of joke?

Are you talking about the fight with Xebenkeck (optional boss), or the one where you fight in the center room of a set of ruins and shit just pours out non stop?

I forgot which map is which, since they are all the same...

Anyway, DA2 does a really bad job at encouraging people to create an effective group through talents. 95% of the fight are drop dead easy with any random combination of characters and abilities. Then the remaining 5% of the fights are a total bitch if you don't happen to have the abilities and tactics setup correctly.
 
Last edited:
Oh great. Another impossible fight? I remember way back in the beginning before getting into the city, I had to take down a thug named Freidrich and his minions. Freidrich had infinity health plus drank health potions. And there was the whole, you know, insta spawn enemies halfway through the encounter. :rolleyes:

There are hard games where you can practice and get better over time. Starcraft 2 for example. Its like any skill. As you practice and get better, tough encounters become easier for you. You can react to things quicker, choose the correct spells faster, learn when and when not to do things.

Having to resort to running around in circles to widdle away the HP of a "hard" enemy is not the way I think a "hard" encounter should be handled.
 
Dragon Age 2 isn't as hard as DA1 was on the whole...at least to me DA1 revolved around having mages use sleep and cone of cold and if you didn't have/use those two spells some battles were borderline unwinnable. However if you did use those spells, the game was pretty easy from beginning to end. Playing without them, especially on hard and nightmare requires some insane micro-management of potions, friendly fire, and kiting.

DA2 is a cake walk 95% of the time. I just let the AI do it's thing and I don't even have any slots set-up beyond the defaults. However that other 5% involves battles that are pull-your-hair-out difficult and long. The ones where you're fighting a boss and hordes of minions/followers that keep showing up over and over and over tend to be a complete mess because you really have no way of knowing how many there will be or rationing your stamina intelligently.
 
Oh great. Another impossible fight? I remember way back in the beginning before getting into the city, I had to take down a thug named Freidrich and his minions. Freidrich had infinity health plus drank health potions. And there was the whole, you know, insta spawn enemies halfway through the encounter. :rolleyes:

There are hard games where you can practice and get better over time. Starcraft 2 for example. Its like any skill. As you practice and get better, tough encounters become easier for you. You can react to things quicker, choose the correct spells faster, learn when and when not to do things.

Having to resort to running around in circles to widdle away the HP of a "hard" enemy is not the way I think a "hard" encounter should be handled.

There is one fight in all of DA2 that requires you to pillar hump and run around in circles in a 1 on 1 fight. Doing it 1 on 1 is optional and you can kill the same boss in a group fight which is much easier.

I think its somewhat hard to get better at DA2 on a first play through because a lot of the fights are just too damned easy. If you pay attention and experiment a lot, you can optimize things so when the hard fights come, they go as planned.
 
I beat that 1:1 fight with my mage character by summoning my Mabari and letting it take agro while I nailed the guy with spells. Occassionally this meant I'd have to run away, but I'd just run until Mind Blast wast available agian so I could stun the boss, then the Mabari would take over again. It was a long fight, but easy this way.
 
I ended up winning the optional 1 on 1 fight with my Rogue and a bow. I did it by approaching the enemy, backing up quickly when he swings, fire 2 arrows, and repeat. Assassinate works fine with a bow so using that when available speeds up the process.

I think he has 2-3 potions, but this will work and you really don't take much or any damage in the process. I tried it with melee weapons and it was a mess. You'd execute everything perfectly for 5-10 minutes but if you did get hit the enemy would occasionally just keep juggling you 'til you died. It just wasn't worth it to waste so much time only to get hit one time and never make it back to your feet again.

I'd imagine that fight is pretty easy for a mage and rogue, but a warrior would have a tough time...and honestly, having to play like that at all is pretty lame. I think the bare minimum for that fight is likely 10-15 minutes, unless you feel like using 10-15 healing and stamina potions.
 
I've enjoyed the game. It's not the most interesting or dynamic game I ever played, but it doesn't have to be so to be a good game. Most games, in fact, aren't.
 
Yeah, DA2 is a long way from being a bad game. I think it's just more of a disappointment compared to the first.
 
Back
Top