Dragon Age 3: Inquisition Announced

well this is great,
http://forum.bioware.com/topic/519257-denuvo-drm-used-by-dai/

PC version is using Denuvo DRM protection (From the great people that brought Securom, the most annoying shitty DRM that affected legit customers way more then anyone).

The most recent game that used it on pc was Lords of the Fallen.

I HATE these kinds of DRM, especially since Securom gave me sooooo many problems back int he day with games that had it, not to mentio the performance issues it would cause.

I do not know how this stacks up vs that but since it's fromt he sma epeople I have 0 trust in it.

Why can't more publishers be like Cd Projekt? HAve they not leanred anything? DRm doesn't stop a game from being cracked, eventually it'll happen and the only people it will hurt are the legit paying customers who have hoops to jump through and performance issues.

From what I read this DRM is on the exe and it works on encrypting data to stop reverse engineering, now you know that will absolutely HAVE to eat some CPU cycles, there is just no way it won't. That's performance that will be lost because of this crap.

It's really hard to judge this DRM since only two games have used it and they're both completely different experiences. FIFA players don't seem to have issues while Lords of the Fallen has performance issues that may be due to the DRM or may be the fault of bad coding. It would be interesting to find out if the DRM is in the review copies EA has been handing out since if it is we could use those impressions to get a feel for what if any effect Denuvo has. Can't really blame EA for using Denuvo again though since FIFA and LoF still haven't been fully cracked (at least last I heard).

If you're set on an AMD 290 series for Mantle, I would get a larger PSU. IMO. Or bring it to the hardware forum here where they're [H]arder than me. But running your PSU at 85%+ of max rated capacity non-stop doesn't sound totally stable to me, even with a good company like Corsair.

The comparable Nvidia cards in that performance range draw something like 80W less; don't have the power specs offhand, but if you split the difference between AMD 290 + new PSU into a single Nvidia card, might be able to just get a better card.

(editors note: No Nvidia fanboy here, just bought a 290x and currently run Xfire 6970s)

You also need to look at power draw on your CPU, plus whatever other components you have. That being said, I agree with TwistedAegis here, might want to either look into upgrading your PSU, or going with a more efficient nVidia card.

Thanks guys.

well this is great,
http://forum.bioware.com/topic/519257-denuvo-drm-used-by-dai/

PC version is using Denuvo DRM protection (From the great people that brought Securom, the most annoying shitty DRM that affected legit customers way more then anyone).

The most recent game that used it on pc was Lords of the Fallen.

I HATE these kinds of DRM, especially since Securom gave me sooooo many problems back int he day with games that had it, not to mentio the performance issues it would cause.

I do not know how this stacks up vs that but since it's fromt he sma epeople I have 0 trust in it.

Why can't more publishers be like Cd Projekt? HAve they not leanred anything? DRm doesn't stop a game from being cracked, eventually it'll happen and the only people it will hurt are the legit paying customers who have hoops to jump through and performance issues.

From what I read this DRM is on the exe and it works on encrypting data to stop reverse engineering, now you know that will absolutely HAVE to eat some CPU cycles, there is just no way it won't. That's performance that will be lost because of this crap.

Ugh, that DRM.
Guess I won't be touching this game anytime soon.

That bites, I wanted this game with Mantle support, but that DRM will make me wait this one out, too bad...

I played a bit of the game on the XB1 through EA Access. Quick impressions:

Character creation is pretty good. I like how they handle force morphing, it's rather interesting. A pretty decent amount of options.

Voice acting is good, as I've come to expect from Bioware.

Performance seemed pretty solid on the XB1. I didn't notice hitching or slow down or any screen tearing.

The game looks good too. Some nice detail on character models and environments. Not everything holds up amazingly but still not a bad looking game at all.

The combat feels like a mix between Origins and 2. The flow of combat is more action based but you're not seeing rogues leaping around as if they have frog legs or mages performing staff-fu while shooting bolts.

Controls are pretty good. I'd rather be playing with a mouse and keyboard but they've done a good job with the console UI.

The exploration is what really got me. The game combines both open environments with the travel mechanics of Origins and DA2. You pick where you want to go but when you get there it's this big open area you can explore. It's very easy to ignore quests and just wander around and do stuff. The stuff you can do and find really reminds me of exploring in the Elder Scroll's games. The game (at least the area I'm in) provides a really good sense of discovery.

The game reminds me of Elder Scrolls, specifically Daggerfall and Morrowind, in another way as well. Enemies don't scale. You can easily wander into areas that you are not prepared for. Before I stopped playing I had this really great fight with a group of enemies a few levels above me. My party survived but it was very close. Earlier playing I ran across another enemy that just slaughtered my party easily.

Thanks for the impressions, can't wait now, just two days to go.

IIRC the main story missions do scale , just not the open world bits. That way if you wander around and level up a lot you won't just glide through the story missions easy peasy.

I wonder if you get some extras they don't want to talk about with the deluxe edition:

wat1.jpg

wat2.jpg

I wonder if you get some extras they don't want to talk about with the deluxe edition:

wat1.jpg

wat2.jpg

Cool so I can pay $10 for some virtual T & A? I think I'll stick to the $60 normal version. I've never understood the more expensive collectors editions or whatever else they sell. Just give me the damn game as cheap as possible. They sell out of some of the limited editions. So I guess there is a market for it, I just don't understand it.

Hopefully this game is awesome regardless. I told myself I wouldn't pre-order another game after the last few fiascos, but the early reviews suckered me into buying this gaming over the weekend on my PS4.

So...does anyone have any suggestions for how to complete the Keep? I am having trouble remembering some of the characters and don't know how I want to customize my keep. I have been just resorting to using the wiki page to advance thus far.

So...does anyone have any suggestions for how to complete the Keep? I am having trouble remembering some of the characters and don't know how I want to customize my keep. I have been just resorting to using the wiki page to advance thus far.

PC Gamer has a great two hour long video detailing the Keep and all the options. I used that to remember events from both games.

I decided on a last minute purchase so its downloading and currently sitting at 19 of 23.81gb for the digital deluxe version.

Well all I can say is that I now kind of doubt the DRM was the problem with Lords of the Fallen. I am having no issues at all with DA:I, unlike the problems that I still do get with LotF. Though after adjusting setting in the nvidia control panel I have reduced the crashes in LotF to where it is playable with less frequent crashes though it still does crash from time to time. So far 2+ hours of DA:I no crashes at all the only real complaint is the forced 30fps in game cut scenes. It is very jarring when it switches. It feels like a slowdown but it's not because the system couldn't handle it, it was just forced down because of the motion capture they did.

Testing out 14.11.2 AMD beta drivers

Dx11
3x 290's: 29-50fps
2x 290's: 50-75fps
1x 290: 47-54fps

going to run mantle now to see, atleast crossfire with 2 gpu's in dx11 is showing some scaling now, i think it was all negative scaling with .1 beta drivers

Mantle
3x 290's:88-118.8fps
2x 290's: 66-93.4fps
1x 290 45-53fps

Last edited:
Just thought I'd post my experience here - I recently switched from Win7 to Win8.1, and the difference this made for DA:I was very dramatic. I'm gaming on a 34" 21:9 LG monitor (need to update my sig) at a res of 3440x1440, and I was able to get a pretty solid 45-50 fps in the tougher zones (Hinterlands, Emerald Graves) with Ultra spec except high tessellation, SSAO, and no MSAA.

Since I installed Win8.1, I'm getting a solid 60 frames in these same zones, and I'm able to use HBAO Full while doing so. This was borne out in the benchmark test too. I was shocked. The first thing I did was do a search to see if Origin had automatically applied a game patch I had not heard about, but no.

I've been delaying the upgrade to 8.1 for a long time, but I'm sure glad I finally did it.

YMMV

How well could I run this on a gtx 760sc from evga?

What resolution?

http://i.imgur.com/fLHRdVU.png

According to that with everything maxed you'll average 30fps at 1080p. Don't use MSAA and you could probably have everything set to Ultra at 1080p and get a decent frame rate.

While visiting family over the holiday I was able to play pretty smoothly with everything on High, no MSAA, at 1080p on a laptop with a 675mx - I don't have exact numbers though. But gives you an idea for what a weaker GPU can do.

Just thought I'd post my experience here - I recently switched from Win7 to Win8.1, and the difference this made for DA:I was very dramatic. I'm gaming on a 34" 21:9 LG monitor (need to update my sig) at a res of 3440x1440, and I was able to get a pretty solid 45-50 fps in the tougher zones (Hinterlands, Emerald Graves) with Ultra spec except high tessellation, SSAO, and no MSAA.

Since I installed Win8.1, I'm getting a solid 60 frames in these same zones, and I'm able to use HBAO Full while doing so. This was borne out in the benchmark test too. I was shocked. The first thing I did was do a search to see if Origin had automatically applied a game patch I had not heard about, but no.

I've been delaying the upgrade to 8.1 for a long time, but I'm sure glad I finally did it.

YMMV

YMMV = depends on the game. Your experience has more to do the Frostbite3 engine being optimized for the improvements made to Win8's thread scheduling since Win7, than the move from Win7 to 8.1 being inherently "that much better" for gaming across the board.

This was a phenomenon in Battlefield4 as well, where people that moved from Win7 to Win8 and saw better performance assumed that Windows 8 was going to play all their games that much faster. That simply isn't the case.

That said, there's certainly no downside to gaming on 8.1, especially if you play it smart and go the local account route + good start menu replacement like StartIsBack.

Last edited:
YMMV = depends on the game. Your experience has more to do the Frostbite3 engine being optimized for the improvements made to Win8's thread scheduling since Win7, than the move from Win7 to 8.1 being inherently "that much better" for gaming across the board.

This was a phenomenon in Battlefield4 as well, where people that moved from Win7 to Win8 and saw better performance assumed that Windows 8 was going to play all their games that much faster. That simply isn't the case.

That said, there's certainly no downside to gaming on 8.1, especially if you play it smart and go the local account route + good start menu replacement like StartIsBack.

Great points. I agree with all, which is why I made no assertion that this trend would apply to all games, and put the "YMMV" at the end. Thanks for explaining why I saw such a difference though. It helps knowing I'm not crazy ;)

Necro a 2 year old thread why not this game is good I put in on the shelf at the time cause I didn't have a high refresh monitor and couldn't run it very well in 2014.Now the game runs like butter lighting using a Elite controller for the game I wouldn't dare use a keyboard for this button masher combat basically. I remember this guy the Beer Barron from Youtube playing this game like two years ago and though I should go back to it. He was one of the more popular Walkthough strategy guide people out there. I never finished a single Dragon Age game due to the bad experience I had with DA I.

ScreenshotWin32_0031_Final.png

ScreenshotWin32_0025_Final.png

ScreenshotWin32_0008_Final.png

Last edited:
Necro a 2 year old thread why not this game is good I put in on the shelf at the time cause I didn't have a high refresh monitor and couldn't run it very well in 2014.Now the game runs like butter lighting using a Elite controller for the game I wouldn't dare use a keyboard for this button masher combat basically. I remember this guy the Beer Barron from Youtube playing this game like two years ago and though I should go back to it. He was one of the more popular Walkthough strategy guide people out there. I never finished a single Dragon Age game due to the bad experience I had with DA I.

I'll definitely install this again one day, I enjoyed the hell out of it when it came out. But didn't really stick around with it. It's a fantastic game that I'll probably start playing again once I get done with TW3 DLCS.

I really enjoyed this one but I never did finish it. I played about 260 hours into it trying to be a "completionist" and then the game lost my save file and that was that. Haven't been back to it since.

I really enjoyed this one but I never did finish it. I played about 260 hours into it trying to be a "completionist" and then the game lost my save file and that was that. Haven't been back to it since.

That sucks man - I am the same way I just can't do it all over again from scratch most of the time.

Dragon Age 3 was such an epic game. I honestly think we'd probably be looking at it as an all-time great game had the Witcher 3 not come out. As great as Dragon Age 3 was, the Witcher essentially swooped in and did most things bigger and better. Yet that shouldn't take away from how good it actually was.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Dragon Age 3 was such an epic game. I honestly think we'd probably be looking at it as an all-time great game had the Witcher 3 not come out. As great as Dragon Age 3 was, the Witcher essentially swooped in and did most things bigger and better. Yet that shouldn't take away from how good it actually was.

Apples and oranges... I totally agree with you. After the Trespasser DLC, which I view as a mixed bag, they have their work cut out for them for whatever comes next in this series.

There are a lot of good things from this that Bioware says they used as a template to spring board off of for ME: Andromeda and that's great news as far as I'm concerned.

I absolutely loved DA3. I had over 200+ hours in it, tied to be a completion, beat the game, realized I missed some achievements, never went back to finish them up.
Witcher 3 also grabbed me and I completed it with the heart of stone expansion, still havent fully beaten blood and wine....game is huge!

I still need to try and go back and get past like 10% into this game. It just didn't hook me like DA:O and DA2 did.... not sure why.

Maybe over Christmas vacation I'll give it another try. At least I know it should run a lot better now than the last time.

This was my first and only pre-order ever. It was GOTY edition on Origin for $15 or Witcher 3 GOTY on steam for $30.
I've done one semi-completionist playthrough on Deluxe Edition, but knew I'd do another at some point.
Witcher will have to wait.

I still need to try and go back and get past like 10% into this game. It just didn't hook me like DA:O and DA2 did.... not sure why.

Maybe over Christmas vacation I'll give it another try. At least I know it should run a lot better now than the last time.

If you didn't last time then the best piece of advice anyone can give you is..leave the hinterlands. Don't try to 100% every single map as soon as you get to it, you can go back to them.

A lot of people got into the hinterlands and just tried to 100% it all and got really really burnt out quickly because a lot of side content was repetitive.

If you didn't last time then the best piece of advice anyone can give you is..leave the hinterlands. Don't try to 100% every single map as soon as you get to it, you can go back to them.

A lot of people got into the hinterlands and just tried to 100% it all and got really really burnt out quickly because a lot of side content was repetitive.

Absolutely this.

I just finished a play through. I had finished the game prior to the DLC coming out amd wanted to play all of them.

DA3 is a great game, it can get boring if you try and grind your levels, or get fixated in clearing every new area as soon as you step foot in it.

This past play through I made a point of hopping areas, as well as shuffling my team regularly. It made for a much better experience this last time through.

There are a few quests you actually simply cannot perform in order, but you can do most things as you encounter them.
The main thing I remember was that leveling up is really important. Some of those early shard battles are borderline impossible until you hit a certain level (12'ish based upon memory) and then almost instantly they become very winnable.

is much better then Dragon Age 2, but not as good as Dragon Age Origin.

Back