Dragon Age 3: Inquisition Announced

Yeah, it really isn't a lot, but for whatever reason the website just didn't want to work for me, so I had to mess around with it for a bit.

I installed and booted up DA:O yesterday in anticipation for this. Not for the purpose of re-creating my character or anything, but simply because anticipating this game got me in the mood for playing a bit of DA:O.

As many times as I've played through that game and as much as I enjoy it, years have not been kind to its textures. Especially the enviromental textures. Still a TON of fun and one of the best recent RPGs I've gotten to enjoy. I'm enjoying that all these Japanese companies have finally decided to port their games over to PC, I haven't gotten to play any final fantasy since FFX as a PS2 was the last console I owned.

As many times as I've played through that game and as much as I enjoy it, years have not been kind to its textures. Especially the enviromental textures. Still a TON of fun and one of the best recent RPGs I've gotten to enjoy. I'm enjoying that all these Japanese companies have finally decided to port their games over to PC, I haven't gotten to play any final fantasy since FFX as a PS2 was the last console I owned.

The Redesigned mod makes DA: O looks a lot better.

Yeah Redesigned and JB3 textures make a big difference. There is a good deal of DA:O mods on Nexus as well.

Not sure if that was what I used or not, but I modded the textures for DA:O (along with getting rid of the fade stuff) and it just didn't do much for me. It's entirely possible I used the wrong packs though. I did do some of the character mods to make them look better and they had some pretty big improvements.

The aging textures and graphics are the main reason I haven't replayed DA:O. I enjoyed it immensely the first time, and don't want to ruin that memory.

Welp, when ahead and pre-ordered the Digital Deluxe version. Fingers crossed.

Slightly wondering if I should upgrade my Xfire 6970s for this game...

Welp, when ahead and pre-ordered the Digital Deluxe version. Fingers crossed.

Slightly wondering if I should upgrade my Xfire 6970s for this game...

probably not a bad idea, considering a 290x barely hits 55fps avg at 1080p under mantle....

c5f143d5_Benchmarks_Dragon_Age_1080p_-_Mantle_-_fixed-pcgh.png

Well that pretty much settles that I'll pick this up for the Xbox instead of PC. I doubt my rig will handle this at 1080 with all the pretty things on. Hard enough to pry money for the game from the wife, let alone an upgrade to make it happen

probably not a bad idea, considering a 290x barely hits 55fps avg at 1080p under mantle....

This image makes me want to build a new computer.

I'm guessing I can play the game with my 8 year old motherboard and 4+ year old cpu/gpu, but it will have certainly be with no AA and possibly not even at 1080p.

Do you play using 4x MSAA?
If so why?
do you see the visual difference from let say 2xMSAA or even other AA solutions when your gaming? If not its all uneeded and wont make the gaming experience better.
If your distracted while gaming vs using a microscope then I guess by all means use 4XMSAA.

I have to say still my single 290 holds up well since I play at 5040x1050
No issue to play shadow of mordor and the settings I lowered made the game fluid and still I couldnt say it detracted from the visuals.

This image makes me want to build a new computer.

I'm guessing I can play the game with my 8 year old motherboard and 4+ year old cpu/gpu, but it will have certainly be with no AA and possibly not even at 1080p.

Just grab a R9 series GPU. Mantle will help your CPU out a ton.

Just a reminder to those who may have pre-ordered on Origin that you should be able to pre-load the game starting today (the 14th).

"4x MSAA" <hint>

That's what stuck out to me too. What's it like with 2x MSAA? AA is expensive, and 2x is more than enough for me at 1080 for most if not all games. That said, as soon as a freesync monitor comes out that's decent with the new round of AMD cards, I'll be deciding between gpus and tech and buying something, be it red or green. This 7970 has lasted far longer than I'd ever imagined I'd keep a card for.

For people new to the series (or those like me who didn't finish DA:2) there's some helpful primers out there for newcomers.

Pc gamer did a video for the keep and it's choices, (it's 2.5 hours long).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv6A-CHqkq8&feature=youtu.be

Kotaku's written primer, detailing the basic storyline and factions/races, etc (They don't cover in detail like the above pc gamer video with the characters, etc).
http://kotaku.com/a-beginners-guide-to-all-things-dragon-age-1658487212

Can someone help me.

Is this like Steam, where it "Says" you need 24 gb free space, but really you need TWICE that? (IE to unpack the files when the game is unlocked).

As someone who has an SSD , along with a normal HDD drive for storage I am always finding myself scrounging around my SSD to free up every little bit of space I can muster.

I currently have 28gb free on it but if the game takes 2x 24gb I will need to figure out another way.

I read the "pre load faq" (http://help.ea.com/e...n-pre-load-faq/) and it sounds like it will indeed need a lot more space (even THREE times more, it sounds like after you download it,t he game unpacks an "installer" which then installs the game after that..).

Ok, if I set my install to my HDD drive (where I have plenty of space) can I then after it "unpacks" the game to the installer like the faq says, then go back in and change the install directory and have it install to my SSD after that?

Asus Direct II CU 290X snagged last month - check.
1080p @ 4X MSAA - check.
Pre-loading - check.

Last time I ever spent $70 for a game - Ultima 9 Dragon Edition
Last time I ever looked forward to a game this much - Ultima 9 Dragon Edition

Pretty sure this one won't suck though :)
Now to see about taking Wed/Thurs/Fri off next week....

Holy shit. And I game at 1600p. :eek: :( Trying to buy a 290x off the [H] for sale forum...fingers crossed.

"4x MSAA" <hint>

Ok, that's better, 1600p negates the need for MSAA, somewhat, but still..ffs.

Preload is available now.

24gb.

Not only a new GPU but a new SSD. Damn you gaming, damn you.

Just grab a R9 series GPU. Mantle will help your CPU out a ton.

Hi cageymaru.

What is mantle?

And I was under the impression that all current medium high end cards require at the base minimum 550W PSU. My Corsair 520HX has served me well for the last 8 years, but will it really allow me to support a R9 290? In addition to my sig rig, I also have a 2TB secondary drive.

Hi cageymaru.

What is mantle?

And I was under the impression that all current medium high end cards require at the base minimum 550W PSU. My Corsair 520HX has served me well for the last 8 years, but will it really allow me to support a R9 290? In addition to my sig rig, I also have a 2TB secondary drive.

Mantle an api same as DX11 except for amd 290 series and some other series they have.
it allows better balance between cpu/gpu and adds more fps like min fps and smoothens out framepacing allowing a better gaming experience.

550w should cover your card and computer without issue.

Mantle an api same as DX11 except for amd 290 series and some other series they have.
it allows better balance between cpu/gpu and adds more fps like min fps and smoothens out framepacing allowing a better gaming experience.

550w should cover your card and computer without issue.

My Corsair is actually 520W.

Trying to figure out right now if my PSU has the requisite connectors to be able to connect a R9 290 (which tom's listed as one 6pin and one 8pin... is that the standard now?)

I guess I can just go home and check it out later.

The [H] review of the 290, in their test system, pulled 440W. Maybe I'm conservative, but that's about 85% of your rated capacity, seems to be a bit close for me.

edit: Going back, they saw closer to 400-420 while gaming, so should be OK. If there are issues, then just upgrade it (so long as you have the connections for it now).

The [H] review of the 290, in their test system, pulled 440W. Maybe I'm conservative, but that's about 85% of your rated capacity, seems to be a bit close for me.

edit: Going back, they saw closer to 400-420 while gaming, so should be OK. If there are issues, then just upgrade it (so long as you have the connections for it now).

I have a second hard drive, 2TB. A quick google shows hard drives draw a bout 10-20W. Is that about right?

If you're set on an AMD 290 series for Mantle, I would get a larger PSU. IMO. Or bring it to the hardware forum here where they're [H]arder than me. But running your PSU at 85%+ of max rated capacity non-stop doesn't sound totally stable to me, even with a good company like Corsair.

The comparable Nvidia cards in that performance range draw something like 80W less; don't have the power specs offhand, but if you split the difference between AMD 290 + new PSU into a single Nvidia card, might be able to just get a better card.

(editors note: No Nvidia fanboy here, just bought a 290x and currently run Xfire 6970s)

I have a second hard drive, 2TB. A quick google shows hard drives draw a bout 10-20W. Is that about right?

You also need to look at power draw on your CPU, plus whatever other components you have. That being said, I agree with TwistedAegis here, might want to either look into upgrading your PSU, or going with a more efficient nVidia card.

DA:O was great. :D

DA2 was a cash grab by EA while the DA name was a hot property and everyone knows it. :mad:

After the ME3 disaster, I sadly don't have high hopes of them bringing back the wonder of DA:O at all and have no plans to preorder it and likely end up having that be a total waste of $60. :(

I agree. I don't have high hopes for anything bioware puts out anymore

Bioware has been MORE than reasonable with this launch. They haven't embargoed reviews or hidden anything and there are plenty of outlets that would love to get the clicks from saying that Bioware is about to launch another DA2. The fact that this hasn't happened speaks volumes. I am optimistic.

well this is great,
http://forum.bioware.com/topic/519257-denuvo-drm-used-by-dai/

PC version is using Denuvo DRM protection (From the great people that brought Securom, the most annoying shitty DRM that affected legit customers way more then anyone).

The most recent game that used it on pc was Lords of the Fallen.

I HATE these kinds of DRM, especially since Securom gave me sooooo many problems back int he day with games that had it, not to mentio the performance issues it would cause.

I do not know how this stacks up vs that but since it's fromt he sma epeople I have 0 trust in it.

Why can't more publishers be like Cd Projekt? HAve they not leanred anything? DRm doesn't stop a game from being cracked, eventually it'll happen and the only people it will hurt are the legit paying customers who have hoops to jump through and performance issues.

From what I read this DRM is on the exe and it works on encrypting data to stop reverse engineering, now you know that will absolutely HAVE to eat some CPU cycles, there is just no way it won't. That's performance that will be lost because of this crap.

well this is great,
http://forum.bioware.com/topic/519257-denuvo-drm-used-by-dai/

PC version is using Denuvo DRM protection (From the great people that brought Securom, the most annoying shitty DRM that affected legit customers way more then anyone).

The game is already tied to Origin... so why the hell would they go this far?

While I realize, even Steam copies get cracked and posted, something like this isnt going to stop the hard core groups that plan to hack it anyway, that much is a given.

This is likely going to be my last Bioware game, at this point, there are better options for my time that dont pull this sort of stunt. If I didnt want to see the story get wrapped up, I'd of avoided this as it is.

Back