• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

DoubleSight DS-263N - 26"

Well guys, looks like I solved my stand issue when my monitor gets here! :D

Should be super-nice with this thing!

http://www.ergotron.com/Products/DeskMounts/tabid/71/ctl/Product/mid/396/PRDID/207/language/en-US/default.aspx

33-321-057_sm.jpg
 
erich said:
can anyone else comment on the backlight bleeding besides verylostindeed?
Mine doesn't have backlight bleeding. I posted a picture on the second page.



verylostindeed said:
I've been seeing something odd with this monitor the last couple of days, and I'm wondering if it's just in my head or a typical scenario. It's hard to describe, but when I'm viewing an all-black background to check for BLB, there appears to be a shifting sort of "glow" when I'm viewing off-center. When viewed directly in front of the display, it appears to put out little if any BLB. But viewed off-center, there can be a sort of glow, emanating from the corner -- either corner depending on the angle.
That's the white glow I mentioned in the review.
 
does the 800:1 contrast ratio look better on this panel compared to a higher contrast ratio on a TN panel?
 
does the 800:1 contrast ratio look better on this panel compared to a higher contrast ratio on a TN panel?

Everywhere I've seen, the DS is rated at 1000:1 which is weird considering the Planer and NEC are both 800:1.

And I just got my monitor and hooked it up and yes, it looks MUCH better then any TN panel out! :D
 
How does the pixel pitch look? I'd rather have a 24" at the same native resolution (1920x1200), but if it isn't all that bad I'm just going to pick this up.
 
I was looking for a 26-27” at 1920x1200 just so icons and text would be bigger without having to tweak everything, and more real estate for gaming. Everything looks nice and tight to me…
 
That's the white glow I mentioned in the review.

Interesting. Would it be inaccurate to call this backlight bleed? It seems different, but at the same time it's sort of similar.

If someone can tell me some decent camera settings to capture the display, I'd be happy to post pictures. I'm no photographer, that's for sure; my camera is capturing far, far more light on the monitor than is actually apparent. The whole damn thing glows on the camera, and I can assure you that it's not that bad.

I have this model:

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16830179119
 
I got my DoubleSight DS-263N in the mail today from newegg. I'm happy to say it is an awesome display. Totally blows away the Samsung 245BW I just had sitting on my desk. Colors are much more accurate, no more dark screen on top or bottom depending on how I sit in correlation to the screen. I checked it for dead or stuck pixels, zero pixels are dead or stuck and that's a sigh of relief. Now I just have to get this thing calibrated. Is there a driver available for this or am I just supposed to have the "plug and play monitor" driver that comes with Windows XP?

Also there are settings for color saturation, RGB levels, color temp, etc in the OSD menu: what is the best way to set that up? I was using MagicTune with the Samsung monitor but it only works with Samsung monitors (I think).
 
Gotta say I love mine too! Although, unlike KingDiamond, I do have one stuck, green pixel, off the the left center of the screen. It only shows up on black backgrounds, such as when viewing [H]. I tried to UDPixel for a about 2 hours and nothing.

Anyone have any tips on a way to get this thing unstuck??? It's not terribly bad, but I just know it's there and it bugs me. :(
 
M Diddy said:
Everywhere I've seen, the DS is rated at 1000:1 which is weird considering the Planer and NEC are both 800:1.
The Planar is also listed at 1000:1 now, but 1000:1 is a blatant lie. The box says 800:1, but it's really closer to 600:1, and the white glow makes it look more like 400:1. The contrast really isn't that great. The NEC 2490 and 2690 actually look more like 800:1, and current S-PVA panels can do even better.

TN panels also have a glow, so the contrast looks about the same as most TN panels. Contrast only affects black depth though. The colors and viewing angles are much better than any TN panel.



verylostindeed said:
Interesting. Would it be inaccurate to call this backlight bleed? It seems different, but at the same time it's sort of similar.
I don't consider it backlight bleeding because it's normal for IPS panels without the A-TW polarizer, and it's not the same. Backlight bleeding appears cloudy and doesn't change at an angle.

Try taking a picture from a distance. Lower the ISO and raise the shutter speed if you can.
 
Hey ToastyX, I read/saw your post on how the planar's viewing angle deteriorates at a certain point when compared to the NEC, but when sitting directly in front is the this or the Planar pretty comparable in picture/color quality to the NEC?

Thanks again!
 
Does this screen have the relatively fast response time of ~12ms like the Planar?
 
andersoj said:
Hey ToastyX, I read/saw your post on how the planar's viewing angle deteriorates at a certain point when compared to the NEC, but when sitting directly in front is the this or the Planar pretty comparable in picture/color quality to the NEC?
Only the contrast deteriorates. The colors don't change much, unlike with S-PVA panels. The color is visually comparable when calibrated, but the contrast is not. The difference is more noticeable in a dark room, especially when showing dark images. The glow can be seen even when sitting in front of the monitor, especially towards the corners as the angle increases. You'd have to be sitting at least 3-4 feet away to completely eliminate the glow.



Vega6 said:
Does this screen have the relatively fast response time of ~12ms like the Planar?
It performs the same as the Planar. It's basically the same monitor.
 
Those color changing pix and videos never worked for me.

On my BenQ FP241VW I had a stuck pixel just below and right of centre, which appeared a few hours after initial use as a red pixel on white, blank on green, and normal on red and blue.

I took a microfibre cloth and I wrapped it around my finger and stroked the pixel. This did nothing. Then I remembered reading that sometimes you can lightly press on other sections of the screen and sometimes get the pixel back to normal.

I did this and lo and behold it worked as the pixel blinked into normalcy. In actuality I massaged about 1 - 2 inches to the left of it, and after a few times, the pixel held and is now perfect. Initially it would go perfect, then a few hours go back to being stuck, so I kept at it. Took me about 10 times to get it right.

Now, do not use excessive force. The color you are pressing on should go a little bit lighter and show a slight outward ripple (like tossing a pebble in water). Excessive force can hurt other pixels or cause a burnt in darkening that can take hours to go away, so be careful.

Hope that helps,

10e

Gotta say I love mine too! Although, unlike KingDiamond, I do have one stuck, green pixel, off the the left center of the screen. It only shows up on black backgrounds, such as when viewing [H]. I tried to UDPixel for a about 2 hours and nothing.

Anyone have any tips on a way to get this thing unstuck??? It's not terribly bad, but I just know it's there and it bugs me. :(
 
My DS-263N arrived two days ago. Overall, it's a nice monitor. Mine arrived in mint condition and with zero dead pixels. I ordered it from buy.com. It arrived quickly even with the '7-10 day free shipping' option.

The biggest disappointment so far is that I've been unable to get it to work with my Motorola DCT6412 HDTV set top box. I think ToastyX experienced similar issues getting it to work with his HDTV STB, even though the PS3 HD output works fine.

There is some type of communication going on between the monitor and the box, because the STB detects the panel as 1080i and changes the STB output signal from 720P to 1080i. However, that's as far as it gets. The DS-263N never detects the incoming video signal and doesn't display anything. I was planning to use this monitor for a dual purpose (HDTV on the one dvi input and computer on the other), so I'm kind of annoyed that this doesn't work. I'll play with it some more this weekend.

As far as gaming, it's definitely the best 24"+ LCD I've played on. I think it will suit the majority of casual gamers out there looking for a large LCD. TF2 looked beautiful on this thing at 1920x1200. However, it's still not fast enough for very competitive Quake/UT type players. I played a few competitive scrims on it before I got frustrated and switched back to my FW900. There's really just no comparison between a CRT at 150hz and an LCD at 60hz.
 
My DS-263N arrived two days ago. Overall, it's a nice monitor. Mine arrived in mint condition and with zero dead pixels. I ordered it from buy.com. It arrived quickly even with the '7-10 day free shipping' option.

The biggest disappointment so far is that I've been unable to get it to work with my Motorola DCT6412 HDTV set top box. I think ToastyX experienced similar issues getting it to work with his HDTV STB, even though the PS3 HD output works fine.

There is some type of communication going on between the monitor and the box, because the STB detects the panel as 1080i and changes the STB output signal from 720P to 1080i. However, that's as far as it gets. The DS-263N never detects the incoming video signal and doesn't display anything. I was planning to use this monitor for a dual purpose (HDTV on the one dvi input and computer on the other), so I'm kind of annoyed that this doesn't work. I'll play with it some more this weekend.

As far as gaming, it's definitely the best 24"+ LCD I've played on. I think it will suit the majority of casual gamers out there looking for a large LCD. TF2 looked beautiful on this thing at 1920x1200. However, it's still not fast enough for very competitive Quake/UT type players. I played a few competitive scrims on it before I got frustrated and switched back to my FW900. There's really just no comparison between a CRT at 150hz and an LCD at 60hz.

The lag with this monitor is the same as it was with the Samsung 245BW for me, it's pretty much non-existent. Sure a CRT might be better but there's no way I could fit a 26-inch CRT on my desk (if they even make one). I play UT3 and COD4 about an hour a day and I can keep up with the best players on most servers so I don't think it's a big issue. Although I used to play in Quake / Quake 2 tournaments and earned a couple awards so maybe I'm a bit above average but still, to me it's a great monitor and I think the best overall monitor available right now when it comes to specs and value.
 
Thanks for all the informative posts!

I ordered one from Newegg today, plan to try it out with PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 :D
 
For anyone worried about warranty with Doublesight, don't be.

I called them about my monitor and have a new one on it's way to my house as an advanced RMA with no charge. The stuck pixel on mine is in the center of the screen and I told them how annoying it was and they had no problem replacing it for me. Just have to hope I get a perfect panel this time around! :D
 
Can you guys notice a serious contrast difference between this and the BenQ fp241VW? What about HDMI?
 
Hey M Diddy...do you have to pay to ship the defective unit back or is it free for both units? Also have you installed the Ergotron Flex Mount yet? Trying to decide if the $200 price difference between this one and the Planar is worth it. Planar already has adjustable stand and a better warranty/dead pixel policy. If I need an adjustable mount then I need to spend ~$150 for the Ergotron so I am think I should just get the Planar. But I don't know if I will even need an adjustable stand.
 
For anyone worried about warranty with Doublesight, don't be.

I called them about my monitor and have a new one on it's way to my house as an advanced RMA with no charge. The stuck pixel on mine is in the center of the screen and I told them how annoying it was and they had no problem replacing it for me. Just have to hope I get a perfect panel this time around! :D

That's encouraging news. Good luck getting the perfect monitor!
 
Mine just arrived yesterday, and I must say this is a great screen, and a great step from my previous HP LP2065 LCD.

The only thing that bothers me is the white glow.
 
I really don't see the white glow others are talking about. What does it look like?

Well, its white, and it glows. :D

Look at a black screen from an angle and you'll see it. If you're viewing straight on, its usually only visible in the extreme corners. If you sit far enough away and adjust the height/tilt, you can pretty much eliminate it.

In any case, the previous poster was right; compared to the crap viewing angles of TNs, and the black crush and color shift of VAs, its by far the least painful compromise.
 
I am not sure if I agree with most viewers. This monitor might be worth the $700 for the DoubleSight. I had the planar version and its definitely not worth the $900 imo. If you decide to buy this monitor buy it from a place you can return it, I personally just didnt feel like it was an AMAZING monitor as some have suggested.

This is just an opinion.
 
Hey M Diddy...do you have to pay to ship the defective unit back or is it free for both units? Also have you installed the Ergotron Flex Mount yet? Trying to decide if the $200 price difference between this one and the Planar is worth it. Planar already has adjustable stand and a better warranty/dead pixel policy. If I need an adjustable mount then I need to spend ~$150 for the Ergotron so I am think I should just get the Planar. But I don't know if I will even need an adjustable stand.

Not sure about the return shipping yet. Going to have to see if they throw a return label in the box or not. As far as the mount, it's not out yet, so I can't comment.
 
I am not sure if I agree with most viewers. This monitor might be worth the $700 for the DoubleSight. I had the planar version and its definitely not worth the $900 imo. If you decide to buy this monitor buy it from a place you can return it, I personally just didnt feel like it was an AMAZING monitor as some have suggested.

This is just an opinion.

I just can't believe that you didn't love this thing after your experiences with TNs and VAs. And I think yours was f@cked up since I never saw anything like that and neither have the other owners...so maybe you should've exchanged it or tried the Doublesight. I hate to see you pass on the best LCDs available based on one busted Planar.

All I can say is it utterly blows away my ViewSonic VP2130b and NEC 2470WNX in every possible way except black levels, and what good are better blacks when you lose all detail and depth in dark areas? After spending $1000+ on a 1920x1200 LCD and a video card powerful enough to drive it, a big black featureless textureless blob in every game is not really "better" in my opinion.

I loved my 2470WNX, but after seeing the IPS differences with my own eyes, I have to say that TNs and VAs just suck unless you're trying to save money. Especially when you consider the absolutely unacceptable problems like 50ms+ of input lag, inverse ghosting, etc. As far as I'm concerned, there isn't a VA or TN made at any size that's worth more than a couple hundred bucks, because you must make outrageous compromises to own one.
 
Understanding that LCD technology is not perfect by any means. The doublesight 26" does deliver with excellent image quality and the perfect size text. Now, I can actually sit over 2 feet away from the screen and read the text without any eyestrain. My 20" Hp lp2065 was very hard on the eyes because of the intense brightness and small text, but now I feel that the doublesight 26" was an excellent purchase and money well spent. The white glow does bother me, and on a large 26" screen the glow is more apparent vs. a smaller 20" screen. The colors right out of the box are dead on, and a display of this quality (IPS) produces pure eyecandy.
 
But which is worse? The NEC's lag or the Planar / Doublesight's white glow?

Personally I don't think white glow from angles is really that big of a deal. It's better to have white glow only seen from extreme angles than a complete distortion of the image / colors with very little head movement.

I went ahead and ordered the Doublesight on Tuesday from Newegg... I'll let everyone know how mine turns out.
 
Well couldn't wait any longer. Ordered mine from the Egg. I will let everyone know how it turns out. Hopefully I don't have to test their warranty/return policy. Also figured I don't need the adjustable stand so save $200 over the Planar.
 
I just received a DS-263N from buy.com today. It's got this really odd color-patch defect:

JP7K5200_ds263.jpg


Here it is close up:

JP7K5200_ds_263_close.jpg


Any idea what this is? It is there permanently. You can't see it when looking at bright images, but it's there for dark ones.

This kind of sucks. I'm not sure if I should go through buy.com or DoubleSight. I just emailed DoubleSight tech support. We'll see what they say.
 
I just received a DS-263N from buy.com today. It's got this really odd color-patch defect:

Here it is close up:

Any idea what this is? It is there permanently. You can't see it when looking at bright images, but it's there for dark ones.

This kind of sucks. I'm not sure if I should go through buy.com or DoubleSight. I just emailed DoubleSight tech support. We'll see what they say.

That's not good, was anything touching that part of the monitor when you took it out of the box? Maybe try running it for a couple hours and see if it goes away.
 
persisting1 said:
Are you keeping this monitor?
I returned it on Monday. I was considering keeping it, but then I realized I'd have to get it replaced anyway for the dead and stuck pixels, so I just returned it.

I don't know if I'll get another one. I'm still considering it, but the wider gamut and poor contrast were getting to me, and it doesn't work properly with cable boxes even though it's supposed to have HDCP support. Apparently, the DS-245W also has trouble with cable boxes according to NewEgg user reviews: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824185006
 
Back
Top