Doom III: Project Mars City (Comments Thread)

Wow that pic with everything put together is what weve been waiting for - starting to come together............

Since hes going for the game look - solid walkways seem cool - it IS how its done in the game after all...

I think it looks quite a bit better with the walkway (the step up to the airlock would look like you'd be jumping try to get up to it for ages before slowly dying from asphyxia or having a cacodaemon fireball you from behind :D ).

Will it have a guard rail (buckled and broken in places of course) ?

Just a little something I saw in Tel Aviv university this thursday. This used to be a 3 button muose, now it's housing external ports for video, audio and svga. It is connected to a computer which is used to show presentations. I know it's not entirely on topic, but it's still modding... Might give someone a good idea, I hope.
IM000572.jpg

CrimsonSky said:
Nope..i completely disagree..solid tread plate is the way to go ;)

Fine. Do it your way. :)

The tread plate will look nice, didn't know that was the direction you were headed.

Keith

I feel like i'm on a chain gang bustin' up rocks---The terrain is coming along, a slow process of gluing small chunks of faux rocks and stones onto the base. Until I get the terrain primed, most of the action is on The ModCam website. Pics coming soon!

Wouldn't it be really cool to add a motor that vibrates (like in a controller) inside the pressure chamber so when the door opens up it would shake. Maybe even two different color lights changing back and forth from orange then red. Just a thought.
Very nice detail Crimson.
Razors Edge Technology

as always Crimson....you are a GOD of Mods and don't let anybody tell you otherwise and I am glad to see more progress on this as well....and damn...I just got over withdrawls on this too ;)

:eek:

*cleans up pants*

I thought that pentagram in the window looke dkinda lame, but after seeing it lit up, it actually looks rad. I guess a big, martian building wouldn't be Doom if it didn't have some sort of demonic/evil thing on it. Looking great! Can't wait to see this finished!

sick. just plain sick.

I have a suggestion that could possibly make that window even cooler though. Have you seen those light up pictures that have something inside them on a motor that makes it look like the water is flowing or the grass is swaying in the wind? Well, I don't know exactly how it could be done, but you could rig up something similar between the leds and the window to give the light a kind of 'ripple' effect to make it look like the symbol is actually made of a firey substance. just a thought; I don't know how difficult it would be for you to integrate that at this point, or if you would even want to.

Nice work bro

Darth_Fluffy said:
That CCFL looks suspiciously pink.. I thought someone told where to get the blood-red ones?

Nice and red in person--could be just the image needs color correcting--besides..this is just a test--just happened to have the Lazer LEDs in the shop. Firey red-orange is the goal in the end

CrimsonSky said:
Nice and red in person--could be just the image needs color correcting--besides..this is just a test--just happened to have the Lazer LEDs in the shop. Firey red-orange is the goal in the end
Awesome. What will you etch in the other window? :D

holy crap that is awesome work. suffering, pain, and death to those who say otherwise :D

Hey CrimsonSky, just saw the pics of the window, awesome!
/me Drooling with anticipation... :p
Just a thought that came up when I saw the window, how about putting a stroboscopic light in the window which will light up on random intervals? I'm talking about something which should look like a flash effect, or lightning. On the other hand, I know it can also be annoying, so it's up to you.

Sweetness! After the work DeathLoc and I put into making that window etch, it's really nice to finally see it installed and lit up. I feel truly honored to have had a small part in making this case. I know it's probably impossible to guage, but how far along percentage-wise does it feel to you? Keep up the great work! You definately have a gift.

*EDIT* And another shot out to Kyle and Co. for making an uninterrupted pics sticky.

cgrant26 said:
Sweetness! After the work DeathLoc and I put into making that window etch, it's really nice to finally see it installed and lit up. I feel truly honored to have had a small part in making this case. I know it's probably impossible to guage, but how far along percentage-wise does it feel to you? Keep up the great work! You definately have a gift.

*EDIT* And another shot out to Kyle and Co. for making an uninterrupted pics sticky.

It's really a great addition to the case--Once the building is modeled, airbrushed and properly lighted, the window will be a big part of the beauty shot side of the case for sure. I'd also like to use the more precise etching (CGrant sent me 2 versions, remember) for the Doom 3 mousepad--would look cool under a slab of tempered glass, masked off and glowing nicely. Most excellent work on the windows, you and DeathLoc have really given this project an eerie glowing red heart :)

i wasnt gonna say anything til now, but do you ever get worried that the window of your case WILL open a gate to hell?

yeah, it looks *that* good

;)
Andar said:
i wasnt gonna say anything til now, but do you ever get worried that the window of your case WILL open a gate to hell?

yeah, it looks *that* good

Damn I hope so..I really need to renegotiate that contract... ;)

The terraforming operations are basically complete on the base.My next step is to integrate 2 rocks with hidden LEDs to light up the lower half of the Doom3 logo with amber light.

Terrain 1

The white oval section you see is a rough opening for the HDD fan vent. It will not be oval once the grill is modeled into it. I'm thinking two fat vent pipes that go up the side of the building.

Terrain 2

Terrain 3

Here you see the section removed for access to the inside of the base:

Terrain 4

Terrain 5

Terrain 6

Terrain 7

I decided to make two miniature spotlights that will be mounted on the base to illuminate the Doom 3 logo. These little babies will be mounted in the rocky area on either side of the logo and pointed towards the lower half. Completely adjustable as well =)

spotlight_1-(4).jpg

Here is a spotlight broken down:

Its made from an aluminum tire valve cap, a piece of aluminum U channel, steel rod, rubber grommet, aluminum tubing various screws and a 2-pin fan connector as a socket for the LED.

spotlight_1-(9).jpg

Hey crim, nice work on the lighting. The mod is finally coming togehter.

hey crim, whats the tally so far for the cost of this mod? your doing some really awesome high tech stuff.

lowside67 said:
I figured as much, I was more getting at "why?"

The entire base was never painted actually. Just a small section of rock was very roughly "test" painted when I began the terrain building.

Crim, your ability to create things from scratch is unbelievable. When I first saw the spotlight pic, I thought you went and bought some :) They look really professional. So I take it the LEDs hidden in rocks was a no go?

Also, what did you think about my window lighting idea in my last post? Not really pushing for it, mostly just wondering what you thought about it as a concept...thinking of doing it in a future mod (though it would be cool if you ended up doing it in this one :) ) ...

siege said:
Crim, your ability to create things from scratch is unbelievable. When I first saw the spotlight pic, I thought you went and bought some :) They look really professional. So I take it the LEDs hidden in rocks was a no go?

Also, what did you think about my window lighting idea in my last post? Not really pushing for it, mostly just wondering what you thought about it as a concept...thinking of doing it in a future mod (though it would be cool if you ended up doing it in this one :) ) ...

To be honest--- i just got so sick of friggin rocks--about 45 hours went into the terrain alone--so..i decided to pull some brain muskels and make a couple of industrial lookin spotlights :cool:

Your idea would be cool--but that would mean some sort of moving (rotating at least) object between the lights and the edge of the plexi--and would require this on each set of lights to have the desired effect....yikes at least three--thats a lot of precise little mechanisms, no?

CrimsonSky said:
To be honest--- i just got so sick of friggin rocks--about 45 hours went into the terrain alone--so..i decided to pull some brain muskels and make a couple of industrial lookin spotlights :cool:

Your idea would be cool--but that would mean some sort of moving (rotating at least) object between the lights and the edge of the plexi--and would require this on each set of lights to have the desired effect....yikes at least three--thats a lot of precise little mechanisms, no?

ouch 45 hours...dude, do you ever sleep? :)

and yeah, it would require a few little mechanisms. I figured out how it could be done with just 1, but it could only be done for a certain lighting arrangement. oh well, at least I tried.

I love the spotlight idea. It's just as original as making waterblocks for RAM on your video card (I'm so going to do that!)

Darth_Fluffy said:
I love the spotlight idea. It's just as original as making waterblocks for RAM on your video card (I'm so going to do that!)

So start a worklog and get to it. ;)

Darth_Fluffy said:
I suppose I could, but I don't have a digital camera. I might borrow one to post the finished pics, though.

phones and/or webcams work enough for posting :)

So start a worklog and get to it.

spoken like a true Gawd :)

Darth_Fluffy said:
I suppose I could, but I don't have a digital camera. I might borrow one to post the finished pics, though.

Finished pics?..We want to see it in progress so we can rip it to shit and make all sorts of suggestions on how you can make it better...c'mon...Ideas aint worth a damn here..action is. ;)

CrimsonSky said:
The terraforming operations are basically complete on the base.My next step is to integrate 2 rocks with hidden LEDs to light up the lower half of the Doom3 logo with amber light.

Terrain 1

The white oval section you see is a rough opening for the HDD fan vent. It will not be oval once the grill is modeled into it. I'm thinking two fat vent pipes that go up the side of the building.

Terrain 2

Terrain 3

Here you see the section removed for access to the inside of the base:

Terrain 4

Terrain 5

Terrain 6

Terrain 7

Holy shit bro.....it's not like you NEED anymore reasons for me to look up to you as a true God of this art.....but damn. :p

CrimsonSky said:
Finished pics?..We want to see it in progress so we can rip it to shit and make all sorts of suggestions on how you can make it better...c'mon...Ideas aint worth a damn here..action is. ;)
It's simple. All it involves is a block of copper, and a copper tube. It's the tubing connecting one ramblock to another that will make it look really cool.

Back