Doom III: Project Mars City (Comments Thread)

hey its all cool..I realize my vision of the Martian landscape may not be a traditional way to display a stock case--however imagination, rich textures (which I think the terrain adds) and atmosphere is what this piece is all about---not a case with 4 rubber feet on a desktop--which is perfectly fine for some mods..just not this one =)

iddqd said:
He could probably somehow manage to stuff those into the case itself. It's a big case.

Big case?. Its even small for a midtower. Imagine it with two HDD's and all the electronics I need to include--yikes.

Arguably, you could have made it to match the case - dark industrial. IMO, it would look better... for some reason this reminds me of a some kid's toy... can't quite put my mind on which one exactly. I totally agree with tinkerbells on this one. I mean fluffy..

iddqd said:
Arguably, you could have made it to match the case - dark industrial. IMO, it would look better... for some reason this reminds me of a some kid's toy... can't quite put my mind on which one exactly. I totally agree with tinkerbells on this one. I mean fluffy..

Again...its not completed yet..not even painted. But if its a toy to you, its a toy. But I bet it can beat up your toys ;)

I really don't see how you could not have the terrain at the base considering it is an exterior view of a Doom-style building. I find it very complimetery to the building motiff.

I hope you'll be posting a little more detail of the prgress on that blast door. That is a cool detail and I'm curious to see how the mechanism will work. As usual, you continue to do amazing and inspiring work.

I'm liking that blast door for the LCD. Looks very industrial, which is obviously the look you're going for. :)

Is it going to sort of be like a garage door when it opens? As is, are the pieces of the door going to split up as it closes, just like a garage door? I don't know a better way to explain it, think of how a garage door works. :D

lorcani said:
I'm liking that blast door for the LCD. Looks very industrial, which is obviously the look you're going for. :)

Is it going to sort of be like a garage door when it opens? As is, are the pieces of the door going to split up as it closes, just like a garage door? I don't know a better way to explain it, think of how a garage door works. :D

I think the word you're looking for is segmented hehe--yeah it will function much the same as that--err--exactly like that!

This amount of detail you are adding to this Mod is increadible. You should be working for ILM or something. Most impressive. Keep up the exceptional work.

CrimsonSky said:
I think the word you're looking for is segmented hehe--yeah it will function much the same as that--err--exactly like that!
Yep, I think that's it. :cool: :D

Sweet Jesus, awesome work. What did you make the door tracks out of? How do you even make that stuff? Like what materials, tools etc did you use to make it?

Awesome mod.

CrimsonSky said:
The lighting is exactly how i want it, but I appreciate the suggestions! (take a look at how the lighting is in the logo--its lit from below--not above) Well sorry to disappoint, but this piece will not be "perfect" in any way...God I hope not . i never strive for perfection--in anything. To do so is foolish, because there is no such thing in life ;)

I knew there was a reason why you did the lighting the way you did it. And regarding perfection... you may be right, but I feel that having a few "perfect" little details really makes a difference. (Is that Confucious or just confused?)

iddqd said:

Heh, I think that what it really reminds you of are those collector sculptures, Spawn-style. Only that this one is not only beautiful, it has brains.

An idea to go with the blast door:

You need some strobes at the top that go off when the door is opening. Since you seem to be handy with the small parts, what I envision is a center mounted red LCD (or white with red film) with a half round mirror on a small low RPM DC motor. So, when the door is about to open, the motors are triggered, the lights come on and they would act like a full sized alarm strobe.

Quicky concept:
strobe.gif

Keith

Howdy, I've been following Project Mars for a while now and it's looking pretty good. I was wondering what the thickness is of the plasticard you are using? I also wanted to know what kind of glue you use to attach the plasticard sheets. I'm planing on building a clear acrylic case with plasticard panels covering the outside and I don't want them to fall off.

What do you do for a living, Crim? I mean, where did you accrue all this 1337 modding skills? Do you work for something that requires lots of this kind of knowledge or are you just really good at your hobby? Just curious. Great work, as always ;)

dropper said:
An idea to go with the blast door:

You need some strobes at the top that go off when the door is opening. Since you seem to be handy with the small parts, what I envision is a center mounted red LCD (or white with red film) with a half round mirror on a small low RPM DC motor. So, when the door is about to open, the motors are triggered, the lights come on and they would act like a full sized alarm strobe.

Keith

there's not really any room for this detail..although its pretty cool, thanks for the suggestion!

..Also, I cant see needing a warning light on a feature that isnt ground level...seems more suited to an area where there is chance of injury :)

Ysg said:
Howdy, I've been following Project Mars for a while now and it's looking pretty good. I was wondering what the thickness is of the plasticard you are using? I also wanted to know what kind of glue you use to attach the plasticard sheets. I'm planing on building a clear acrylic case with plasticard panels covering the outside and I don't want them to fall off.

I use from ..020-.100 thick sheets. I buy them in 40x72" sheets from www.usplastics.com.

More info:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1026583208&postcount=20

well i still havent commented on the mars city project so here it goes. HOLY SHIT!!!!!!
thank you for bringing the world ultimate pwnage

The housing for the LCD touch screen is now more of a module--removable from the case with just a few screws. Much better than mounting the various parts of the LCD inside the case whre you cant get to them---we all like easy access to the inside of the case for tweaking and fixing what isnt broke right ? :D

Here is the unit, I'll explain pic-by-pic. This first shot is were i left it for the night, having created the various mounting plates, brackets and what-not to hold the screens in place. The control panel for the LCD was just a pcb with a single LED and 5 little tactile buttons (power, menu, navigation etc). The buttons wont be visible on the mod, but hidden behimd a panel:

LCD Module 1

You can see here the small clear acrylic hemispheres I glued onto the microswitches.

LCD Module 2

Inside the unit, the housing will hold all the LCD parts (see below) as well as the servo and electronics for operating the blast door.:

LCD Module 3

This is the LCD hold-down plate (in white) and control button hardware:

LCD Module 4

The inside starts to get a bit more complicated:

LCD Module 5

The parts for the earth LCD (www.earthlcd.com) kit. Controller board, LCD panel, Touch screen (made from glass), function button pcb and the power brick for the two CCFL's:

LCD Module 6

Sheldog23 said:
This amount of detail you are adding to this Mod is increadible. You should be working for ILM or something. Most impressive. Keep up the exceptional work.

Sheldog!...I know your work--great pieces.

Bah... ILM pays their model builders union scale, which is decent, but not for me--I thought about moving west 20 years ago, but decided to stay in NYCity to work on feature films here and make a lot more $$ :) assembly line-style model building for film studios is no place for artistic expression and creative freedom. :D

Powered up the LCD screen to see if i could fry something :p The LCD image is stunning--very crisp--and the colors are sharp and vivid. I couldnt get the touch screen to work on the serial port--will have to call their tech support since there is no documentation with this kit :confused:

lcd_power-(6).jpg

lcd_power-(1).jpg

The obligatory [H]ard shot:

lcd_power-(10).jpg

CrimsonSky said:
Powered up the LCD screen to see if i could fry something :p The LCD image is stunning--very crisp--and the colors are sharp and vivid. I couldnt get the touch screen to work on the serial port--will have to call their tech support since there is no documentation with this kit :confused:

Dang, that looks nice! But..... $800 and no docs???? :eek: I'd be a little....'upset' with them about that...... :mad:

Yah i think you have to dig on their website fo the docs...or contact their friendly tech support by phone--the connections were straight forward except for the touch screen..Hmm..

Darth_Fluffy said:
Awesome. What will it be used for? system status monitoring? A 2nd display for in-game stats (ammo, life, etc?)

Lothar is interested in creating a Doom3 style interface for it with elements from the in-game monitors and shtuff--I'll be interested to see what his artistic talents can come up with--I'm sure it will be great.

Well, you could just rip all the widgets straight off the game, no talent needed there :D. They are all in one of those .pak files. Then, you could find a similar font, and put anything you like in there.

:eek: holy....

/me staring at my old trashheap laptop
/me putting my face in my hands and sobbing

Darth_Fluffy said:
Well, you could just rip all the widgets straight off the game, no talent needed there :D. They are all in one of those .pak files. Then, you could find a similar font, and put anything you like in there.

True, but we want a functional interface that will launch apps, video, etcetera within it ;) ..not just a background image

Hey Crimson, how come you don't give credit to Scott Adams (Dilbert) for the quote in you tag line?

Keith

Nice work....actually phenomenal work :D
I wish I had the time and effort for that.

What are the chances of you submitting this to MAXIMUM PC? :D
The editors would be "holy s***"

PS When is that book coming out again?

Looks like you're ready for it. I'm really gonna have to bust my hump this weekend, but I should be able to finish it out. The LCD looks great!

PS - A UI with no function is a crime in of itself.

CrimsonSky said:
What are those little dots along the bottom? I know the one's on the far-right and far-left are screws of some type, but are the 6 lights LEDs or something? Do they have any use?

lorcani said:
What are those little dots along the bottom? I know the one's on the far-right and far-left are screws of some type, but are the 6 lights LEDs or something? Do they have any use?

Yeah those are the lcd control buttons--(they will be hidden behind a panel) This was the post from the previous page--I think this log is getting a bit BIG LoL--

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1026792230&postcount=1239

CrimsonSky said:
who cares? :p
I just thought it would be nice to give credit where credit is due, but if you want to take credit for someone else's work, go right ahead :p.

Keith

Back