Doom III: Project Mars City (Comments Thread)

elite.mafia said:
sigh... im 13.. this thread has gone a few pages with no pictures and it needs updating..

While I agree that it would be nice to have some more pics.....to say that "it needs updating" sounds kinda demanding.....Crimson is hard at work on this work of art.....and if it's time well spent actually working on the mod then I'd much rather go without pics for as long as I have to.....because what we DO see will be that much more impressive.

Bookmage said:
Yes... my simple XCOM mod is in the design stages...
and it's further than that XCOM movie... :p
Wish I the Crimson skills for it...
W'e'll see how it goes.
Teaser for you... until Crimson can build a time machine... or clone a zombie...

http://www.exosquad.net/Lightning/XCOM-Pin%20Closeup1.JPG

Haha a badge huh - nice. Perhaps we need to enlist Crimson on this. But Id much rather see the game sometime... =)

CrimsonSky said:
Actually I havent touched the Doom3 Mod in about two weeks.Sooo..there will not be any updates until I actually get something done ;)

that sounds like hes REALLY working [h]ard on this mod right now.
still needs updating...

An update then (specifically for elite.mafia) on behalf of CrimsonSky:

Update: Nothing's changed.

What is the point in updating something, when there's nothing TO update, because there hasn't been any work carried out?

I'm Baaaaack!!!

I finaly opened the box containing the XLK-5002T 6.5" Analog Color TFT LCD Kit from www.earthlcd.com. As you can see..I'll have to build a housing of some sort to mount the parts in. Parts include 6.5" LCD, Resistive Touch Screen Panel, inverter for the two backlights, controller card and cables.

This LCD will be mounted in the 5.25" bay area above the airlock, possibly behind a door that has the UAC logo emblazoned on it. This LCD will run off of a secondary graphics card and have an gui to launch apps, videos and scenes from the game, or monitor the webcam that will be part of the mod...I guess there's lots of fun stuff to use it for!

earthlcd_1.jpg

Heh.. I knew you wouldn't forget about us. :cool:

That's a pretty nice looking LCD. I thought the GUI was going to be on the PDA?

lorcani said:
Heh.. I knew you wouldn't forget about us. :cool:

That's a pretty nice looking LCD. I thought the GUI was going to be on the PDA?

Why not on both ;) Maybe a nice spinning UAC logo for when the PC is idle...like i said, we can put anything up on the screen :D Speaking of the PDA I wonder if he forgot about us??? hello?

...an opened box?

We waited for 3 weeks and all we got was an opened box? This is all you did for THREE WEEKS?!

...just kidding. I can definitely relate to being swamped with school or work or whatnot. But the enticement of an LCD gui mod on this box tantalizes me greatly, and makes it harder to wait to see what cool stuff you do for this mod!!

:confused: $800 Ouch! are your sure that that was necessary!! :eek:

Sounds like it would look sweet, tho.
:D

Otac0n said:
:confused: $800 Ouch! are your sure that that was necessary!! :eek:

Sounds like it would look sweet, tho.
:D

I only want extremely high quality goods in this mod, so i contacted the great folks over at EarthLCD, who were excited to have one of their panels in the case, so we will be doing some cross-promotion. Their product offering is just incredible--I've never seen so many LCDs and kits in one place.

I also wanted an LCD in kit form, so i can have control over where parts are oriented inside the case, rather than having to crack something open. I've heard very good things about this kit from friends who use them in custom kiosks and such--

wood said:
...an opened box?

We waited for 3 weeks and all we got was an opened box? This is all you did for THREE WEEKS?!!!

rofl--thats exactly what i thought too when i posted it--gotta get back in the swing--

wow...$800 is a lot though, for just one piece...my computer (originally) didn't cost that much!!

dude, you are like my idol :p and according to my friend "My god...he needs a life." lol!!

where can you get LCDs like that a little less expensive? I know the PS One mobile screen will work, but is that hard to mod?

umm yeah.. i'd like to cross promote too.. hey crimson why dont you just ship that finished product on over here.. uhh and i'll uhh ship you a sticker or something

Alex41290 said:
wow...$800 is a lot though, for just one piece...my computer (originally) didn't cost that much!!

dude, you are like my idol :p and according to my friend "My god...he needs a life." lol!!

where can you get LCDs like that a little less expensive? I know the PS One mobile screen will work, but is that hard to mod?

I got a great life-- ;)

The EarthLCD panel is industrial quality--seriously well made components--wouldnt be surprised if they also make milspec stuff.

Just do a google for LCD mods you can find lots of product--as well as gaming screen hacks and mods.Or even check out the USB LCD Here $149 looks pretty cool for a small display.

CrimsonSky said:
This LCD will be mounted in the 5.25" bay area above the airlock, possibly behind a door that has the UAC logo emblazoned on it. This LCD will run off of a secondary graphics card and have an gui to launch apps, videos and scenes from the game, or monitor the webcam that will be part of the mod...I guess there's lots of fun stuff to use it for!
Could you run like a screensaver or something done from Doom 3 gameplay demos? That'd be pretty neat maybe...

I'd be more than happy to provide a screensaver that did either one of those methods. Haven't forgotten, just when you're not active, I go back to my normal life of boring software production. I have the ability to generate custom screensavers as well as applications.

Lothar, is there a program to make a movie a screensaver? cuz i want to put like alien or tommy boy as a screen saver...that would kick

CrimsonSky said:
I'm Baaaaack!!!

I finaly opened the box containing the XLK-5002T 6.5" Analog Color TFT LCD Kit from www.earthlcd.com. As you can see..I'll have to build a housing of some sort to mount the parts in. Parts include 6.5" LCD, Resistive Touch Screen Panel, inverter for the two backlights, controller card and cables.

earthlcd_1.jpg

Hey, your mod is looking fantastic. I can't wait to see the whole thing. I've been looking at one of these lcds for a few months now and I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1. Will it fit in three 5.25" bays? It seems as though it should, I just want to check. Can I have a bay taken up with a drive and still fit that in my other three?

2. Is there some kind of frame to protect and hide the edges of the lcd (for example the wire on the right of the screen. If so will that fit in three drive bays?

3. How deep is the screen? I want to know if you think that it could fit in the door of a case. Does it look as though it could be mounted in the door of your Super Lanboy?

Thanks a lot. One suggestion as well if I may. I noticed that you had a small side window. I found this Kevlar tubing and I think it looks really sweet

kevlar-big.jpg

I am thinking of sleeving my PSU with it and some grey heat shrink. You can get it here for $0.85 per foot for 1/4" sleeving. Not bad at all! I just thought this would go pretty well with the whole Doom theme. It's kind of a similar look to the air locks and everything. It certainly would look cool on internal or external wires and they'd be bulletproof.;) Any feedback on my questions is greatly appreciated, keep up the good work.

Greetings from Israel! I just registered to reply to this wonderful post and put in my 2 cents...
First I would like to state that (although been stated before):
1. CrimsonSky is the case modding GOD (but I'm an atheist... :p)
2. this is the best case mod I have ever seen!
3. can't wait to see more pics of the modding process and of the finished case

CrimsonSky said:
And now for business. A small idea I thought of, how to light up the doom 3 logo. Put 2 small leds (right and left sides of bezel) hidden in the rocks that will light up the logo like 2 spot lights lighting a billboard, or maybe put them in the 'metallic' floor of the bezel. What do you think?

^^ i dunno, plain bright red would look bad...if you could "dim" it of sorts and make it a deeper, darker, less bright red, then heck yeah...

Alex41290 said:
^^ i dunno, plain bright red would look bad...if you could "dim" it of sorts and make it a deeper, darker, less bright red, then heck yeah...

I agree, if the LED's were dimm'd down it could look nice, but a regular red LED would look horrible.

YAY!!! I made a good point :p

also, i dunno if ur gonna do this (u probly are and i'm just dumb):

splatter "blood" everywhere...such as on the bottom metal part and the inside of the case...and have all the demonic symbols and sh*t inside...that would look sweet!

well, depends what "doom 3 symbols" you mean

see, IMO, this case can't be too "flashy in ur face" its gotta be dark, grim, evil, and "this case will kill you" kind of look

Alex41290 said:
well, depends what "doom 3 symbols" you mean

see, IMO, this case can't be too "flashy in ur face" its gotta be dark, grim, evil, and "this case will kill you" kind of look

Which is exactly what I was thinking.....any further detailing has to be subtle enough not to stand out to much.....but cool enough so that you say "nice" when you see it.

Since it's the first time I've posted here I first have to say what an excellent job you are doing now, and what you have done on your previous cases. Amazing workmanship and inspiring creativity.

I wanted to throw out an idea for that LCD screen. If I'm reading everything right, you're going to be mounting it above the airlock door. Since it is already a touchscreen, maybe you could make that the control for opening the airlock doors. Take a screenshot of the airlock controls from the game and fit it to the LCD. Then put a link under the graphic to activate the servo for the airlock doors. Something along those lines. Also possibly give it multiple screen interfaces to control other aspects of the comp. I suspect that this is an involved idea and I don't really know how practical it is to accomplish but it would be pretty cool.
A seperate (or maybe not) idea would be to blend the screen's default background into the case somehow and have a secret spot on the screen allow you to access further into it. Maybe have a flaming skull fly at you if you hit the wrong spot. ;)

If I am repeating any ideas already mentioned I apologize. I look forward to seeing this project progress.

hkhawk said:
Hey, your mod is looking fantastic. I can't wait to see the whole thing. I've been looking at one of these lcds for a few months now and I have a few questions if you don't mind:

1. Will it fit in three 5.25" bays? It seems as though it should, I just want to check. Can I have a bay taken up with a drive and still fit that in my other three?

2. Is there some kind of frame to protect and hide the edges of the lcd (for example the wire on the right of the screen. If so will that fit in three drive bays?

3. How deep is the screen? I want to know if you think that it could fit in the door of a case. Does it look as though it could be mounted in the door of your Super Lanboy?

here are a few shots of the same LCD mounted in a Silverstone case:

http://www.maximumpc.com/features/feature_2004-08-24.html

There is a bezel available for it, not sure of the dimensions. Its too big to be mounted in the door of the super lanboy case--the specs for the NEC screen are on the earthlcd website as well.

Itay said:
Greetings from Israel! I just registered to reply to this wonderful post and put in my 2 cents...

And now for business. A small idea I thought of, how to light up the doom 3 logo. Put 2 small leds (right and left sides of bezel) hidden in the rocks that will light up the logo like 2 spot lights lighting a billboard, or maybe put them in the 'metallic' floor of the bezel. What do you think?

hey welcome, and thanks for joining in on the madness!

Maybe I was just imagining it real hard or i actually posted it here somewhere..either way I'm making two small boulders with hidden LED spot lights to illuminate the lower half of the DOOM 3 logo..Probably amber colored might look nice--I'll have to experiment, since creative lighting (with this case mod anyway) is about playing around until you get the mood right. ;)

I will be "helping" the lighting along with airbrushing, since you have to remember the scale of the piece doesn't necessarily lend it self to "real world" full scale lighting the way you might think.

Thanks for the suggestions!!...keep 'em coming. :cool:

I'm going to be stuck in a hotel room for the better part of this month, so I'm about to get very active. I'm trying to swing an e755 off of the forums for development.

Thanks CrimsonSky for the reply.
Another thing I forgot to add, was to airbrush or paint the cdrom tray to black color (or any color, other than white). Maybe even do some fancy multi-coloring effect. It will look way better then what it is now.
p.s.
Just saw that you're from Brooklyn. I got some relatives living on the 23rd ave, close to 86 st.

Itay said:
Thanks CrimsonSky for the reply.
Another thing I forgot to add, was to airbrush or paint the cdrom tray to black color (or any color, other than white). Maybe even do some fancy multi-coloring effect. It will look way better then what it is now..

*None of the painting has been started at all on this. The CDROM is just a testing subject and not the final unit.

Now that the base unit will house the two hard disks and CDROM, I needed to get power into it. I made a distribution block that has two male Molex connectors and four 3-pin fan connectors. The fan connectors are for the two 60mm fans that will be in the base, as well as for lighting the Doom3 logo on the CD bezel.

The block is made from aluminum stock and a cut piece of extruded aluminum door threshold, then painted with DupliColr red annodized-look paint. No one will ever see this power block, but I still like to finish "what isnt seen" ;) Once it's dry and assembled I'll post pics:

Power Block Parts

Extruded Aluminum Cutting

CrimsonSky said:
Now that the base unit will house the two hard disks and CDROM, I needed to get power into it. I made a distribution block that has two male Molex connectors and four 3-pin fan connectors. The fan connectors are for the two 60mm fans that will be in the base, as well as for lighting the Doom3 logo on the CD bezel.

The block is made from aluminum stock and a cut piece of extruded aluminum door threshold, then painted with DupliColr red annodized-look paint. No one will ever see this power block, but I still like to finish "what isnt seen" ;) Once it's dry and assembled I'll post pics:

Power Block Parts

Extruded Aluminum Cutting
The color is fantastic on those. So, the only purpose of these items is to cover up power connectors?

That's attention to detail. :cool:

Back