Doom III: Project Mars City (Comments Thread)

lorcani said:
The color is fantastic on those. So, the only purpose of these items is to cover up power connectors?

That's attention to detail. :cool:

Lol..yeah basically...It eliminates a lot of cables too--we all know how messy that gets--I didnt want to just hot glue some power connectors to a face plate--which would have been the easy way out--i just hate hot glue....so hence this elaborate (but good looking) little block--yah I'm crazy. :D

CrimsonSky said:
Lol..yeah basically...It eliminates a lot of cables too--we all know how messy that gets--I didnt want to just hot glue some power connectors to a face plate--which would have been the easy way out--i just hate hot glue....so hence this elaborate (but good looking) little block--yah I'm crazy. :D
You were the kid that used to make massive detailed sketches of things, weren't you? :p

CrimsonSky said:
Power block for the base unit, assembled and ready to install.
Looks better than I thought it would. I assume that you are going to paint the inside of the case the same color?

This should help clear a few things up :D

The base unit will now house the CDROM, as well as the two hard disk drives. The drives are on a removable frame that locks in place once it is slid into the base. I also made a fan frame to hold the two 60mm intake fans. Ports on the bottom odf the base will vent the air.

http://thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/base_unit_1-(3).jpg

http://thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/base_unit_1-(4).jpg

Here you can see the simple locking mechanism for the HDD frame. The frame slides on this, locks into place under the lip and is secured on the opposite end by two screws.

http://thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/base_unit_1-(6).jpg

http://thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/base_unit_1.jpg

lorcani said:
Looks better than I thought it would. I assume that you are going to paint the inside of the case the same color?

Nope..these colors dont reflect those that will be inside of the case. :D

better "than you thought it would"? yeesh...ye of little faith :p

CrimsonSky said:
Nope..these colors dont reflect those that will be inside of the case. :D

better "than you thought it would"? yeesh...ye of little faith :p
Why are you painting it red though? :D

BTW, you probably know this, but your mod-cam is down. :p

lorcani said:
Why are you painting it red though? :D

BTW, you probably know this, but your mod-cam is down. :p

Umm..i had red paint in the paint cabinet?

yah I turn the cam off when I'm not actually at the bench working.

So much for having the slide out drawer be for a med kit with snacks :D

Just out of curiosity: I see you winging that base around on the mod cam like it's nothing. How much does the base actually weigh? I know it can support a lot of weight, so I guess I thought it was pretty heavy, but it doesn't look that way on the mod cam. Who knows, maybe you're just rly strong :eek:

wood said:
So much for having the slide out drawer be for a med kit with snacks :D

Just out of curiosity: I see you winging that base around on the mod cam like it's nothing. How much does the base actually weigh? I know it can support a lot of weight, so I guess I thought it was pretty heavy, but it doesn't look that way on the mod cam. Who knows, maybe you're just rly strong :eek:

yah there goes my storage space :( however having the HDDs in the base really opens up the case for the pump, watercooling, etc. ...and yeah the base is very light...wont be so when the two disk drives and CD are installed tho. Oh yeah i'm strong too ;) ::flex::

CrimsonSky said:
yah there goes my storage space :( however having the HDDs in the base really opens up the case for the pump, watercooling, etc. ...and yeah the base is very light...wont be so when the two disk drives and CD are installed tho. Oh yeah i'm strong too ;) ::flex::
Yeah, I didn't think about opening up cooling space. Not having the HDDs in the case sucking up all the fresh cool air will really improve cooling... not that it will matter with water cooling now that I think of it ::d'oh::

Is freeing up that front space in the case necessary for installation of the LCD screen? I've got a (unmodded) Super Lanboy myself, so I know how tight space can get

Great work on the mod (moar praise :p :D )

wood said:
Is freeing up that front space in the case necessary for installation of the LCD screen? I've got a (unmodded) Super Lanboy myself, so I know how tight space can get

Great work on the mod (moar praise :p :D )

cheers

Yah since that LCD is a kit, I'll have more space to mount the components now that the drive cages are history....the LCD screen does fit in the bay area of the lanboy..i was skeptical myself at first

nice lcd. now take a picture of that box sitting next to the comp at its current state...
:rolleyes:

CrimsonSky said:

How are you running power through that power block? Are you bringing power to the 4 pin, than splitting into the fan adapters? Or does that white molex series distribute power somehow?

It looks really nice with that paint job. I half expect those hard drives to be submerged in some evil looking liquid and that tray to open up and a hand picking out some rotting carcass with a pair of bloodied tongs.
Or some zombie pops up when the tray pulls out....

Bookmage said:
How are you running power through that power block? Are you bringing power to the 4 pin, than splitting into the fan adapters? Or does that white molex series distribute power somehow?

It looks really nice with that paint job. I half expect those hard drives to be submerged in some evil looking liquid and that tray to open up and a hand picking out some rotting carcass with a pair of bloodied tongs.
Or some zombie pops up when the tray pulls out....

the european style disto block (in white) will have one or two lines coming in from the PSU to feed power

CrimsonSky said:
the european style disto block (in white) will have one or two lines coming in from the PSU to feed power

Can you tell me where you got the block? This gives me some ideas....

In the first pic you see the base unit and the new top that the case will sit on. The top is 0.40 styrene reinforced with fiberglass cloth and resin. The oval shaped opening on the side is the intake for the HDD cooling fans, and will have a special grill made for it eventually.

http://thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/d3_base_terrain-(13).jpg

In this pic, I'm in the process of adding more Mars terrain made from rubber mold castings and applying it to the side. It's really time consuming task to get it looking natural. You can see that the rock has a horizontal grain, to look like cut bedrock. Once all the rocks and stones are carved and glued in place, I go back and blend them all in. Then a few hours work with a Dremel and carbide bit to add small carved detail.

http://thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/d3_base_terrain-(23).jpg

And here are the main parts in place:

http://thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/d3_base_terrain-(22).jpg

IMO, the terrain on the bottom will alienate the case from ANY desktop. Unless, of course, you make a desk to match it.

Darth_Fluffy said:
IMO, the terrain on the bottom will alienate the case from ANY desktop. Unless, of course, you make a desk to match it.

It will never live on a desktop--going to build a matching pedestal with metal plate details ;) Or maybe I'll just put it on your head, to match the rocks inside? :D

CrimsonSky said:
It will never live on a desktop--going to build a matching pedestal with metal plate details ;) Or maybe I'll just put it on your head, to match the rocks inside? :D
LOL. Looking good CrimsonSky. You know damn well he wouldn't complain if it was on his desk.

its lookin sweeet... :cool:

how do you disconnect the ide cables to slide out the harddrive rack once the case is together and you cant reach in from the top?

theshadow27 said:

how do you disconnect the ide cables to slide out the harddrive rack once the case is together and you cant reach in from the top?

you know, that's a good point, but i think he somehow thought of it...maybe they will be really well placed so they won't be in the way very much, if at all?

theshadow27 said:

It will be nice thin SATA cables ;) There is plenty of slack on the cable length. Even the CD will be SATA.

CrimsonSky said:
It will be nice thin SATA cables ;) There is plenty of slack on the cable length. Even the CD will be SATA.
hmm... that could work, but...

you could make a little bracket the same way you made your power distribution block (LOL i like that you painted it!!!) that held the 2 SATA cables and 2 molex connectors. then you could make a similar, but female, block on the HD rack, so that when you slid it in they connected. pop the latch, and slide out the rack, and the cables automaticly disconnect.

technicaly you need 2 SATA cables, but only 1 molex cable. it would be easy for you. and it would be pretty cool to be able to change the HDs so easy.

or you could have long cables.

why you would use a SATA cd drive, i dono i would use a USB DVDCDRW... heh but your crimson so you can do anything you want

That walkway does seem like it will fit in well with the theme and looks sweet. Have you thought about possibly adding a couple of small steps down the rock face to one or both of the corners? It would probably look better if the steps were in front but we don't want you to cover that beautiful Doom 3 logo faceplate now do we. :D I did some quick MS paint work as an example.

walkway and steps.jpg

I haven't read any of the comments in this thread for several weeks cause I'm stuck on dial up for the time being so I don't know if this has been addressed. Are you going to do any matching paintwork or modding on a keyboard, mouse, monitor, etc.?

dont forget to add oxygen tanks to the flat platform.... u know the ones that saved ur arse when you got stuck outside.

Also i have a quick question.... The red-annodized paint that you used on that power block for the base of the case (i can rhyme)... is it tough to work with. Does it scratch easily. Did you prime before you painted. and did you clearcoat after?

The reason I am asking is I was thinking about painting the inside of a case I am currently working on with it... However I really dont want to deal with a bunch of scratches. Also I will not be able to sand it much because of the wierd angles.

Thanks for the help.... and as per usuall i bow down. :D

Some ideas on your platform: Maybe use a mesh material, instead of a flat plate, and use small square tubes around the edges to give it "support". Also, maybe make the mesh in sections, as if they were actual plates that had been layed down or welded together.

Keith

theshadow27 said:
hmm... that could work, but...

you could make a little bracket the same way you made your power distribution block (LOL i like that you painted it!!!) that held the 2 SATA cables and 2 molex connectors. then you could make a similar, but female, block on the HD rack, so that when you slid it in they connected. pop the latch, and slide out the rack, and the cables automaticly disconnect.

technicaly you need 2 SATA cables, but only 1 molex cable. it would be easy for you. and it would be pretty cool to be able to change the HDs so easy.

or you could have long cables.

why you would use a SATA cd drive, i dono i would use a USB DVDCDRW... heh but your crimson so you can do anything you want

Honestly tho..how many times does a HDD get swapped out unless it drops dead? i think 500GB storage is enough for the life of this mod :D

OptPrime said:
dont forget to add oxygen tanks to the flat platform.... u know the ones that saved ur arse when you got stuck outside.

Also i have a quick question.... The red-annodized paint that you used on that power block for the base of the case (i can rhyme)... is it tough to work with. Does it scratch easily. Did you prime before you painted. and did you clearcoat after?

The reason I am asking is I was thinking about painting the inside of a case I am currently working on with it... However I really dont want to deal with a bunch of scratches. Also I will not be able to sand it much because of the wierd angles.

Thanks for the help.... and as per usuall i bow down. :D

hehe..yeah 02 tanks are a must--there will be some sort of steps going down to the surface on the right side--possibly with a small half-round landing--will see how it fits in.

Here is the look I'm going for:

walkway.jpg

The MetalCast paints are cool..tricky to get looking right but very durable once cured (about 3 weeks) A clear coat would ruin the annodized idea of the look, so I'd advise against it. The MetalCast paints use a clear basecoat (adhesion promoting) spray, groundcoat and color coat

I also vouch for using mesh on the platform instead of a solid material, just kinda ruins the effect

If its mesh it looks very industrial and blends in much better IMHO

Muttsta said:
I also vouch for using mesh on the platform instead of a solid material, just kinda ruins the effect

If its mesh it looks very industrial and blends in much better IMHO

Nope..i completely disagree..solid tread plate is the way to go ;)

Back