Doom III: Project Mars City (Comments Thread)

this isnt directed twoards anyone in particular, just all of you...

STAY ON TOPIC FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

that is all

Thanks Flecom, Crimson the case is looking really great! Have you made any progress with it BTW?

I haven't felt the need to post here in a couple years, but that all changed when I saw this project. Unbelievably impressive Crimson, keep up the amazing work! Kudos to everyone else offering to help, it's nice to see not everyone on the web are complete tits. GG!

darthfluffy added easily to the ignore list

I'll have pics of the progress this evening--working on other commitments at the moment :D

Soooo is a computer actually gonna go in there??? lol... looks so sweet man, but hopefully it won't be ruined by a poor wiring job inside, or poor cooling etc. The case is awesome!

Well, I have to say that window etch is great! I WANNA LASER ETCHER!!!
*cries*
lol, Crimson, you are the Gawd, or as your old title was, 'Master of Environmental Disaster!'

penguin said:
Well, I have to say that window etch is great! I WANNA LASER ETCHER!!!
*cries*
lol, Crimson, you are the Gawd, or as your old title was, 'Master of Environmental Disaster!'

:p Hey Penguin. Thanks for the props

POST SOME MORE PICS BE4 I F**KING KILL YOU!!!! nice mod dude i need more pics....

Crimson has the case changed much since the last pics you posted of it? How about taking some new pics of it and posting it and pointing out any new work you've done to it.
I love your mod. I shall have to do a Doom3 mod myself..

DaCoOlNeSs said:
This thread is worthless without pics!
it's also worthless with people like you (and me) posting here asking for more pictures.
rolleyes.gif

Looks like this whole thread needs to have a bit of cleaning done to it :(

Since the airlock is not just for show, a lot of thought had to go into mounting it. I decided to build the airlock and Black Ice Extreme 2 120mm radiator into a unit that could be removed easily, hence the thumb screws. The unit also had to be pretty solid to keep the airlock doors in good alignment.

btw before anyone asks (like a certain other modder) the interior will be painted to match elements in the game :p

http://thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/cooling_unit-(12).jpg

http://thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/cooling_unit-(28).jpg

http://thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/cooling_unit-(17).jpg

http://thebestcasescenario.com/projects/doom3/cooling_unit-(25).jpg

Looks to be a bit of space between the radiator and the piece it's attached to. Are you going to seal/duct that so you don't lose as much air?

NeuroMaster said:
Looks to be a bit of space between the radiator and the piece it's attached to. Are you going to seal/duct that so you don't lose as much air?

There will be a round duct fabricated to fill the space once i cut the hole for the fan

hey CrimsonSky,
Great case. I was thinking it would be cool to integrate an LCD screen like this inside the case:

mini_lcd_screen.jpg

2.5 inch color tft LCD. Accepts svideo or composite input, 12v.

ebay link to seller:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11074&item=5717098858&rd=1

here's a pic of it on my boss' desk :D ( he asked for a flat panel monitor, we left this one and a note that it was the biggest one we could afford :) )

flatscreen1.jpg

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
this is one neat mod.....man i love those doors

hahahha good prank on the boss az_max2

Nice work, I've been keeping tabs and i'm fairly impressed with the detail. Kind of reminds me of warhammer models and such.

Just a few questions.

1) Your doing watercooling and such, I dont know if you have posted this earlier or not but what setup do you have in mind of processor and such.

2) Have you recieved any official interest from ID etc as i'm sure I read that Kyle had told them.

3) What do you plan to do with it when its finished.

4) and the big one, Do you plan to do a half-life 2 mod. Especially with the interest that your getting on this one.

Thanks for any reply.

az_max2 said:
hey CrimsonSky,
Great case. I was thinking it would be cool to integrate an LCD screen like this inside the case:

here's a pic of it on my boss' desk :D ( he asked for a flat panel monitor, we left this one and a note that it was the biggest one we could afford :) )

Hehehehe..thats a good one :D

Yeah I mentioned in the beggining of the log that I was gonna get either This Motorized LCD or a 6.5" type LCD to mount in the 5.25 bay area. The motorized one is pimp, and has a great Panasonic OEM screen. Here is a Video of the motorized goodness

It would be cool if you could have the female computer vioce announcing the opening of the airlock. Something like "Pressurization commencing" and "Depressurization complete" or some messages like that.

BTW, thanks for the cleanup Flec. :)

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
scotmod said:
Nice work, I've been keeping tabs and i'm fairly impressed with the detail. Kind of reminds me of warhammer models and such.

Just a few questions.

1) Your doing watercooling and such, I dont know if you have posted this earlier or not but what setup do you have in mind of processor and such.

2) Have you recieved any official interest from ID etc as i'm sure I read that Kyle had told them.

3) What do you plan to do with it when its finished.

4) and the big one, Do you plan to do a half-life 2 mod. Especially with the interest that your getting on this one.

Thanks for any reply.

1) TBD---may wait for the SLI mobos--see I want dual 6800 ultras ;)

2) Nope

3) Play Doom3

4) Nah that's been done

Thanks for the update good sir. The LCD seems cool, but does it fit in a 5.25" dive bay? Or how useful is it? You could of course, use it to display teh system health status, and maybe the sound wave when there's sound signal; but otherwise you could just display that information on your desktop somewhere; the extra LCD isn't very usefil.

You're going to have fun waiting for SLi... maybe we should.. well, have some temporary replacement ;) :D ..

The entire project isnt very "useful" or "practical" basically...it doesnt have to be.

A useful PC is the thrown together bitch with dust all over it in my workshop, and the one I'm typing on ;)

That small LCD would look really cool as a computer screen like you see in Marine HQ. Maybe have 2 or 3 of them all displaying different things. Then just mod in the console details and maybe a "bridge" style desk in front of it. (if there's room of course) Could also use it as one of those UAC infomercial screens you see here and there.

I'll put this in it while i'm waiting:

Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 3.4 GHz Extreme Edition

ASUS "P5AD2 Premium" 925X Chipset Motherboard

Corsair 533 DDR @ 1GB

Some Flavor of 6800

2x WD Raptors 10k

500w Modular PSU

Ok that Liliput 2.5" LCD is very cute--may be more in scale with what I'm doing. Havent really started designing that part of the case yet.

CrimsonSky said:
I'll put this in it while i'm waiting:

Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 3.4 GHz Extreme Edition

ASUS "P5AD2 Premium" 925X Chipset Motherboard

Corsair 533 DDR @ 1GB

Some Flavor of 6800

2x WD Raptors 10k

500w Modular PSU
Why the P4? A64 clearly performs better with Doom³.. In fact the 6 top performers are all AMD64 chips. The mighty 3.4EE holds the 7th spot.

Then again, I suppose 10 extra FPS won't improve your gaming experience much. What's the difference between 60FPS and 70FPS... even considering it's capped at 60.

And, does the motorized LCD fit in a 5.25" drive bay? It would look cool if it does.

I'd go with the A64 but it seems that the new stuff is right around the corner---Plus I have contacts at Intel (I designed a mod for them last year) ) so they might like to get in on this project ;)

All I need for the in-dash monitor is 7.50" wide...I have 8" in the drive bay area..plus I can hack any part to fit..its modding. :p

yes the A64 does run better with doom 3 but you have to remember its not only going to be used for doom 3. its going to be used for internet and other gaming needs (i suppose) then the p4 would be the better choise. the p4 runs at 3.4ghz (its also the extreme edition[the EE runs about $1000]) and if your talking 3200+ its not close. the 3200 runs at 2ghz - 2.2ghz

also CrimsonSky why not get DDR2?

cgrant26 said:
That small LCD would look really cool as a computer screen like you see in Marine HQ. Maybe have 2 or 3 of them all displaying different things. Then just mod in the console details and maybe a "bridge" style desk in front of it. (if there's room of course) Could also use it as one of those UAC infomercial screens you see here and there.

I found Dazzle makes a Flash card reader that can do slideshows direct to TV. Load up a 256mb SD card with stills, and you have a simulated console :)

man am i loving this mod. this thread has expanded sooo much.

about the webcams how come i cant get them up?

DRJ1014 said:
yes the A64 does run better with doom 3 but you have to remember its not only going to be used for doom 3. its going to be used for internet and other gaming needs (i suppose) then the p4 would be the better choise. the p4 runs at 3.4ghz (its also the extreme edition[the EE runs about $1000]) and if your talking 3200+ its not close. the 3200 runs at 2ghz - 2.2ghz

also CrimsonSky why not get DDR2?
You can't compare ghz between Intel and AMD, thats not a good idea in a forum with a bunch of geeks (myself included).

Lookin good Crimson.

lol sorry i was just trying to make a point

please dont bash me :(

CrimsonSky said:
plus I can hack any part to fit..its modding. :p

Well put C.

That 2.5" LCD on your boss' desk is the funniest thing that I have seen in a long long time!

<clicks to ebay, then paypal>

Back