Doom Eternal

I am excited to kill some cyber daemons and hopefully, we might see some aerial creatures. DO we be having a chance to Kill dragons?

I'm hyped! Throw in some good MP and I might even consider buying it at release instead of waiting for it to hit the bargain bin!

Cool. Waiting with baited breath. However ...

Most favorite SP game in recent years = Doom 2016
Least favorite MP game in recent years = Doom 2016

Other random thoughts ...
- game is amazing in Vulkan. Sure hope that returns.
- arcade mode and rune trials added much re-playability. Kept me coming back to try and best myself.
- first game in some time where I did not feel compelled to turn in-game music off. In fact, sought out a high bit rate version of the soundtrack so my neighbors could enjoy the sub-sonics too.
- MP was a major disappointment. Almost felt like a different game. For one, everything is over balanced. In my mind they missed a golden opportunity for a multi gun toting overkill frag fest the likes of which we have not seen since Unreal Tournament. Build it id and Bethesda, and I will come.

My thoughts, summed up:

hqdefault.jpg

Really surprised to see another one so soon after the last one. I hope it's at least as good as Doom 2016!

Cool. Waiting with baited breath. However ...

Most favorite SP game in recent years = Doom 2016
Least favorite MP game in recent years = Doom 2016

Other random thoughts ...
- game is amazing in Vulkan. Sure hope that returns.
- arcade mode and rune trials added much re-playability. Kept me coming back to try and best myself.
- first game in some time where I did not feel compelled to turn in-game music off. In fact, sought out a high bit rate version of the soundtrack so my neighbors could enjoy the sub-sonics too.
- MP was a major disappointment. Almost felt like a different game. For one, everything is over balanced. In my mind they missed a golden opportunity for a multi gun toting overkill frag fest the likes of which we have not seen since Unreal Tournament. Build it id and Bethesda, and I will come.
Their biggest mistake was outsourcing the multiplayer to a team that worked on Halo. GTFO with your Halo-style gameplay in my Doom. Hopefully they develop it in-house this time and give us classic, over-the-top, git gud gameplay.

I am excited to kill some cyber daemons and hopefully, we might see some aerial creatures. DO we be having a chance to Kill dragons?

that would be cool to have some winged bat creature and/or other enemies that fly...fits in with the Hell theme as well...that teaser trailer showed some Kraken type of creature so hopefully they have some interesting new enemy types this game

Definitely gonna play this one in the SECOND from the hardest difficulty...

that would be cool to have some winged bat creature and/or other enemies that fly...fits in with the Hell theme as well...that teaser trailer showed some Kraken type of creature so hopefully they have some interesting new enemy types this game
Why not dragon or gargoyles. If you remember in last Doom game the one that was released in 2003 in the ending just before credits I remember a dragon with a human skull and thought of Killing it in next game but ironically game got reset in 2016.

Why not dragon or gargoyles. If you remember in last Doom game the one that was released in 2003 in the ending just before credits I remember a dragon with a human skull and thought of Killing it in next game but ironically game got reset in 2016.
That was the Maledict, which is what Dr. Betruger became, and you do kill it in Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil.
No dragons, or gargoyles. I don’t want to rip and tear fancy rainspouts.

Last edited:
Maledict was a wyvern, not a dragon.

I don't see this coming out until at least 2020, but I'm hyped nonetheless. Seems like it follows the original 'Doom 2: Hell on Earth' story also, which looks epic. Let's hope the SP gets the same love the reboot did, and MP learns from its failures.

I don't see this coming out until at least 2020, but I'm hyped nonetheless. Seems like it follows the original 'Doom 2: Hell on Earth' story also, which looks epic. Let's hope the SP gets the same love the reboot did, and MP learns from its failures.

If id Software doesn't contract the MP out, and handles it themselves from the start, I don't see how it could be bad. Even Doom 2016's MP wasn't bad at all once id took control back. There just weren't enough quality players playing, and since it didn't have dedicated servers, you couldn't just set up your own game. THAT is the only mistake companies keep making right now. No fucking dedicated servers. I understand that with competitive and ranked games in general, but just don't rank private servers, and there's no issue. If people set up their own server and it's the wild west, that's on them. Anyway, Doom's MP really isn't all that bad if you happen to get a good match. Still not really my thing (still a Q3A guy deep down for that) but it isn't bad. That said, all I really care about is that they nail the SP like before. That'll make me happy.

That said, all I really care about is that they nail the SP like before. That'll make me happy.

I am with you on that, SP is paramount. I played a fair amount of Doom's MP, and despite my reaction time being old and slow compared to my "glory days", I enjoyed it. It certainly got better with time.

Now having said that, I have played the SP at least 6 times, and still enjoy firing it back up when there is a lull between games. There is something so fun about this game's SP that it doesn't get old for me. I too am hoping they can recreate that feeling in the sequel.

I am with you on that, SP is paramount. I played a fair amount of Doom's MP, and despite my reaction time being old and slow compared to my "glory days", I enjoyed it. It certainly got better with time.

Now having said that, I have played the SP at least 6 times, and still enjoy firing it back up when there is a lull between games. There is something so fun about this game's SP that it doesn't get old for me. I too am hoping they can recreate that feeling in the sequel.

I play it the same way, in between other things. Actaully I do that with all id games. I play Doom 3, Quake IV, RAGE, and Doom 2016 when I don't have something else I want to play. Occasionally the older ones too, but those are the ones I play most often. I like The New Order and The Old Blood too, but then I get sucked back into the story and keep playing. :D

I play it the same way, in between other things. Actaully I do that with all id games. I play Doom 3, Quake IV, RAGE, and Doom 2016 when I don't have something else I want to play. Occasionally the older ones too, but those are the ones I play most often. I like The New Order and The Old Blood too, but then I get sucked back into the story and keep playing. :D

Don't even get me started on the new Wolfenstein games. I've played those repeatedly as well, at least the first game + DLC. Wasn't as taken with New Colossus, but still enjoyed it. Can't say I've played any of the older ID games (apart from RAGE) in a long time, but Rage 2 has me interested as well. Kind of back burner compared to the likes of Division 2 and Cyberpunk for me, but on my list all the same.

Don't even get me started on the new Wolfenstein games. I've played those repeatedly as well, at least the first game + DLC. Wasn't as taken with New Colossus, but still enjoyed it. Can't say I've played any of the older ID games (apart from RAGE) in a long time, but Rage 2 has me interested as well. Kind of back burner compared to the likes of Division 2 and Cyberpunk for me, but on my list all the same.

With any luck, none of those will be released at exactly the same time. :D I haven't played New Colossus yet. I'm guessing I'll feel pretty similarly. New Order is a hard act to follow I think. However, it still looks fun overall, so I'll grab it when I'm able. I've just had too much work, side projects, etc. to play anything serious lately. I've mostly been playing smaller indie games like Dead Cells and Wizard of Legend that I can pick up and put down after a single round.

Doom 3 is still one of my favorites. I tweak it a bit (turn on plasma gun lights) tweak the weapon defs to give a bit more knock-back, adjust the damage to be a bit more like the other Dooms, and it's really got a nice feel to it.

Definitely gonna play this one in the SECOND from the hardest difficulty...
Same here. Play 2016 on Nightmare difficulty. Tried Ultra but it got old starting back from the very beginning every time I got killed.

Friend of mine is the type of player that always does a game on the easiest setting to get through fast as possible. A disservice to one's self if you ask me.

Do you ever play in Arcade mode? That is probably my favorite. Work my way through a level in regular mode, then go back later in Arcade and find different ways to do things and change up enemy kill orders to maximize points.

Same here. Play 2016 on Nightmare difficulty. Tried Ultra but it got old starting back from the very beginning every time I got killed.

I got to probably 95% and stopped because for the life of me I could not get past one part. I'd play it over and over for hours and just get frustrated and quit.

That was the Maledict, which is what Dr. Betruger became, and you do kill it in Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil.
No dragons, or gargoyles. I don’t want to rip and tear fancy rainspouts.
I didn't play resurrection of evil I thought it was a dragon anyways I will reinstall the game and play it again.

Well he was about 12 years old when Quake came out.
So was I. And I was also a big fan of Nine Inch Nails at the time, so I was as giddy about that soundtrack as I am about the new Doom soundtrack. He obviously draws inspiration from NIN and the industrial/industrial metal genre in general.

What's your point?

Q3A wasn't NIN either, but it was still an excellent soundtrack. In fact I believe some of it was in part by Front Line Assembly or some derivation thereof, which is equally cool. I'm still am a fan of NIN, Trent, Alessandro, etc. Their music is a bit different these days though. Good, but different. I think it's probably best that id keeps the aesthetics that they're known for, and choose the artists who will make that happen.

Full gameplay reveal during a live stream Friday, August 10.

Nice! That's blocked for me at work, is that during QuakeCon? Seems about right.

Can't wait to see it! id can just keep making Doom, Quake, and RAGE variants for the rest of my life, and I'll keep coming back every time. :D I'm not usually a total fanboy sucker for any particular studio, but in their case... I'm... a total fanboy sucker. :D

Nice! That's blocked for me at work, is that during QuakeCon? Seems about right.

Can't wait to see it! id can just keep making Doom, Quake, and RAGE variants for the rest of my life, and I'll keep coming back every time. :D I'm not usually a total fanboy sucker for any particular studio, but in their case... I'm... a total fanboy sucker. :D
Yes, Quakecon starts on the 9th, and they promised the reveal would happen during this time at E3.

Blocked for me, too. Just copied the link ;). Usually I'd just post the archive, but it seems the network admin at work found out about it. Anonymizers are the bane of tracking software.

Yes, Quakecon starts on the 9th, and they promised the reveal would happen during this time at E3.

Blocked for me, too. Just copied the link ;). Usually I'd just post the archive, but it seems the network admin at work found out about it. Anonymizers are the bane of tracking software.

I'm the Systems Admin/Eng here, so I COULD open it up. I try to behave myself though for the most part. :D

at Quakecon today, Bethesda revealed the first proper look at Doom Eternal, the sequel to 2016’s reboot of the iconic shooter series, with a series of lengthy videos...id promises twice as many demons as last time, including reimagined classic enemies from Doom 2 like the Arachnotron...there are destructible demons now too, with chunks falling off as you rip and tear through them

as far as gameplay goes, the shotgun now has a grappling hook on it for parkouring around environments...gunplay looks as tight and combat as frenetic as ever...Doom has always been about "killing badass demons with big guns in unbelievable places," and Eternal doesn't look like it'll disappoint in that regard...but there's a twist: You can take control of a demon and invade another person's campaign a la Dark Souls....

Last edited:
Back