Doom 4 E3 reveal.

Agreed. I would love to see it take off further. I'm not really holding my breath exactly, but it's nice to see some movement.

Still though, as influential as id is, it's going to take more than them to push this. Their list of backing/participating companies is pretty impressive though. I'll definitely give this renderer a shot. Probably tomorrow as I've got a 1070 showing up then.

Does anyone else have an issue with v-sync and the weapon wheel pausing the game or is it just me?

I've never played the game without Adaptive V-Sync enabled until today and I noticed that the weapon wheel actually paused the entire game while I had it open. When I have Adaptive enabled, the game only slows down and remains slowed down the entire time the weapon wheel is open.

I turned Adaptive back on because having the whole game pause during fire fights like that made it way easier.

I've looked through the update release notes and it seems this bug should have been fixed but it's not.

Their release notes specify something along the lines of: "fixed weapon wheel freeze when running over 145 fps"

Looks like it's still an issue since I have the game up to date.

I'm still waiting on a way to truly remap the inventory/map screens.

I tried to complete it on hurt me plenty, but I kept getting stuck on the the boss with the power cell (I tried going through the game twice, but I just didn't have enough ammo or armour). Definitely the hardest part of the game. Easy was a little too easy, I'll play it again with the all the secrets and challenges.

Doom with Vulcan, running @ 1200p on a RX480 at a constant 60 FPS (maxed out, vsync). Zero slowdown, I'm really impressed!

MP is fun but why is text chat so bad/absent? at a minimum we need lobby chat. Is voice chat so prevalent these days that keyboard chat is dead?

MP is fun but why is text chat so bad/absent? at a minimum we need lobby chat. Is voice chat so prevalent these days that keyboard chat is dead?

I hope not. I absolutely refuse to connect a mic to my computer, or listen to other players.

Grabbed a copy from DLgamer for $27. Surprised it is being discounted so aggressively so soon after release, but I won't complain. Just need to find time to play it now.

Grabbed a copy from DLgamer for $27. Surprised it is being discounted so aggressively so soon after release, but I won't complain. Just need to find time to play it now.

Do yourself a favour and try it out on either nightmare or ultraviolence. Unless you are REALLY unsure about your skill. I get pwned in any online game and my reflexes are like that of a tortoise, but I was able to beat it on Nightmare after a LOT of blood sweat and tears, and it felt amazing EVERY STEP OF THE JOURNEY.

Do yourself a favour and try it out on either nightmare or ultraviolence. Unless you are REALLY unsure about your skill. I get pwned in any online game and my reflexes are like that of a tortoise, but I was able to beat it on Nightmare after a LOT of blood sweat and tears, and it felt amazing EVERY STEP OF THE JOURNEY.

My general rule of thumb is to always play these types of games on the hardest difficulties because, unlike the ball breaking games I grew up on (fuck you hover bike level from NES Battletoads!), they now cater to millennial snowflakes.

My general rule of thumb is to always play these types of games on the hardest difficulties because, unlike the ball breaking games I grew up on (fuck you hover bike level from NES Battletoads!), they now cater to millennial snowflakes.
Nightmare can get extremely frustrating later on in the game. I think Ultra Violence is enough of a challenge to keep the game interesting while not getting to the level of frustration Nightmare can bring. You can die in four hits with 150 armor and 200 health on Nightmare, and unless you're in critical condition enemies will only drop around 6-9 health per glory kill.

I like a challenge, but I don't like to be tortured. Sure, it's satisfying to complete a game on the harder difficulty levels but with my backlog I like to be able to roll through at a reasonable pace so that I can move on to other games and not get bogged down for too long. If I have the choice between completing a game in 15 hours on the standard difficulty, while still experiencing 100% of the game content, vs. completing it in 20-25 hours due to constant death, reloading and punishing difficulty, I know which one I'm choosing. Obviously this varies by game, as some aren't just more challenging at higher difficulty levels but just outright cheap or super frustrating due to controls or game design. Other times, there may be rewards (other than personal satisfaction) for playing at a higher difficulty and I can appreciate the incentive to do so there.

But, to each his own. I'm not saying my way is what everyone should do, it's just what I prefer these days. Retrying a really challenging part of a game twenty times isn't fun to me; it becomes tedious and frustrating. It's more of a feeling of relief when I get past those parts than any real sense of accomplishment. But I can see why people crave the challenge. It's definitely satisfying to be able to say that you beat the game rather than the game beating you!

Beat it on ultra violent - Played a little on Nightmare - didn't seem THAT much harder but that's probably because I got decent at it.

Ill say this though - the multiplayer is abysmal. Wish they would extended the single player with the time they put into that garbage. I'm assuming a DLC is in the works?

Beat it on ultra violent - Played a little on Nightmare - didn't seem THAT much harder but that's probably because I got decent at it.

Ill say this though - the multiplayer is abysmal. Wish they would extended the single player with the time they put into that garbage. I'm assuming a DLC is in the works?

Multiplayer DLC is is the works :(

I played the multiplayer to get those achievements, which only took about 40-45 minutes. But it was actually pretty fun and I ended up playing for twice as long. But I have other games I want to move on to, now. That backlog keeps getting bigger with each sale...

I'm hoping for a nice single player expansion as well. I actually gave the multiplayer a shot the other night, and it was actually a lot better than people tend to give it credit for. Not exactly the way I would like it to be, but still pretty good. I had fun with it at least. id took it back over from the outsourced developer, and are planning to add a server browser, more modes, etc. so I'll probably play it more after those changes are implemented.

Finished the game. 10/10. I have nothing bad to say about it. It was just awesome. Ultra Violence is the minimum difficulty you should play this game at. I think it took me 12 hours to finish (Steam says 14 because I let the game idle a few times).

Absolutely best game to come out in a decade since Far Cry and Crysis. What a ride through and through. No RPG bullshits. No go there, then come back and report completion of mission bullshit. Tons of secrets. Fast paced gunplay. The ending was absolutely DOPE! Music had the tunes, guns had the effects, gameplay was absolutely phenomenal, and top it off a very good storyline as well.

Loved the ending. Can't wait for sequel. Yes, please! I think after Argent Tower, game ran at 165 fps pegged since most areas were indoors. So smoooooth!
drool2.gif

Anyone who hasn't gotten this game needs to destroy his/her computer right now.

Finished the game. 10/10. I have nothing bad to say about it. It was just awesome. Ultra Violence is the minimum difficulty you should play this game at. I think it took me 12 hours to finish (Steam says 14 because I let the game idle a few times).

Absolutely best game to come out in a decade since Far Cry and Crysis. What a ride through and through. No RPG bullshits. No go there, then come back and report completion of mission bullshit. Tons of secrets. Fast paced gunplay. The ending was absolutely DOPE! Music had the tunes, guns had the effects, gameplay was absolutely phenomenal, and top it off a very good storyline as well.

Loved the ending. Can't wait for sequel. Yes, please! I think after Argent Tower, game ran at 165 fps pegged since most areas were indoors. So smoooooth!
drool2.gif

Anyone who hasn't gotten this game needs to destroy his/her computer right now.

Precisely my thoughts as well. The game really is perfect. People can argue about what they wish was different about this or that, but purely from an executing what they set out to create standpoint, it's absolutely flawless. And it keeps improving in minor ways too.

On the back and forth mission thing you mentioned, this was something I liked about Doom 3 too. You had missions, but you reported in on your way to different places via different terminals to the sergeant. You didn't have to keep going back to central locations. Rage had a few back and forth missions, but they tended to progress you to the next major area after a few of them, so that wasn't bad either. My point... I think id knows how to keep the progression moving, and this latest Doom is the pinnacle of that so far.

Patch #2 now available. Among the fixes and improvements are the first pair of promised new modes for multiplayer, which includes their version of KotH and a new dynamic CTF mode.

DOOM Free Update #2 - Now Available :: DOOM General Discussions

Single Player
Fixes and Optimizations
  • Fixed an issue where performance gradually decreased in the Polar Core level
  • Fixed an issue where the Gauss Cannon’s charged mod alt-fire did less damage than the base fire damage
  • Fixed an issue where players were unable to unlock the Argent Overload achievement/trophy if they began their progress after the release of Update 1
  • Fixed an issue where players were unable to unlock the Tinkering trophy if they began their progress after the release of Update 1 (PS4)
  • Fixed an issue where some users were not able to progress weapon and rune masteries after the release of Update 1.
  • The “What Else Ya Got” achievement/trophy no longer is blocked for those who have not completed the “Double take” challenge.
  • Fixed an issue which prevented users from using Combat Shotgun mods when out of shells, with “Rich Get Richer” enabled.
  • Multiplayer damage indicators have been removed from the single player mode.
  • Fixed an issue where users experienced a crash to desktop while using current NVIDIA drivers. (PC)
  • Fixed an issue which prevented users from assigning menu-specific actions to the Steam controller. (PC)
Multiplayer
New Features
  • Added two new multiplayer game modes
  • Sector – Capture and Hold
  • Exodus – Capture the Flag
Improvements to Matchmaking
  • Fixed several cases of party invites not working after the host leaves.
  • Improved host migration success rate.
  • Fixed issues with network connectivity loss resulting in being unable to join future matches when connectivity was restored.
  • Improved handling of party peers in the game lobby.
Fixes
  • Fixed several third-person weapon issues (animation shaking, customization not appearing).
  • Fixed an issue with the magnetism hack module where power-items would not return to their original position if the player died while in transition.
  • Fixed an issue where taunting many times in a row could cause the player’s third-person animation to be stuck in one pose.
  • Fixed cases of loading screen tooltips not showing up correctly.
  • Fixed issue with Clan Arena and Freeze Tag showing the incorrect amount of player icons on the HUD (top-left player indicators).
  • Fixed issue with level up rewards, including level up rewards not being awarded properly).
  • Fixed presentation issue in the Intro sequence (disabling weapon GUI being displayed early).
  • First person hands customization fixes (fixed some cases where first person hands customization meshes weren't being shown correctly).
  • Fixed duplicate selection boxes in the Challenges screen.
  • Fixed issue where the previously played map could be loaded into the playlist again.
  • Fixed issue with PS+ offer being shown at an inappropriate time (PS4).

SnapMap
Community HUB Improvements
  • Added Find Open Match, a public match browser displaying all available public lobbies
  • Added a Recently Played Maps list
  • Added ability to Subscribe to maps and browse them from the new Subscribed Maps list
  • Improved the Map Browser with additional sorting options
  • Added new unlockable images for customizing published maps (11 new backgrounds, 10 new mode icons, 20 new miscellaneous images)
  • Added icons on the Map Browser to identify Cloud/Local maps

Editor Functionality Improvements
  • Added God Mode and Infinite Ammo as testing settings for map authors
  • Added Movement Speed settings in the editor

Content Additions
  • Added a customizable Weapon Wheel that allows the player to hold any number of weapons
  • Added 30 new Hell themed Modules including indoor and outdoor environments
  • Increased the number of weapons available by adding the Pistol, the Chainsaw and the Static Rifle
  • Added Skull Keys, and Hell Barrel
  • Added The Unwilling to the available AI
  • Added the Mancubus as a selectable Player Demon
  • Added new Interactables including the Gore Nest, Hell Tablet, and Tripod Panel, a customizable touch screen panel
  • Added weapon-specific ammo to Pickups and AI drop tables
  • Added all new Hell Props including a giant demon skull, altars, cauldrons and more
  • Added construction props such stone blocks, rocks, columns, and arches for customizing

Hell environments
  • Added Launch Pads with logic to control distance, speed, direction, and destination
  • Added new FX to accompany the Launch Pads
  • Added new Demonic and Origin Hell Voice Speakers
  • Updated Speakers to include new instrument sounds
  • Added a Switch object which triggers only one output based on a specified index
  • Added a Custom Event object which triggers all instances of an event when any instance of it is signaled
  • Added three new Filters including Equipment, Weapon, and Cached Entity Filters

Improvements to Logic and Object Functionality
  • Weapons now have a property that allows players to pick up weapons when touched
  • AI have two new properties to Set Stagger Percentage, and Enable/Disable Stagger
  • Players now have the On Health Percentage Reached output
  • New style properties have been added to Light objects to create light FX such as blinking, strobe, rotating, and more
  • Props and Player Blocking Volumes now have a Static property that will return their
  • Network budget value, but will disable all inputs (show, hide, etc) during a match
  • Updated the Inventory entity to manage multiple weapons
  • Updated Player Loadout object to include Demon Player race selection
  • The AI Conductor behavior can now be altered when entering a module
  • AI spawning can be inhibited in a module through logic
  • Module Environments can be changed during a match with logic
  • Friendly AI health bars and POIs can be hidden or shown
  • Hazard damage can be set to a Variable
  • Color properties are now shown in a color swatch
  • A large health bar is now available as an Objective
  • Use Alternative AI Drop Table that simulates Campaign drops from demon kills

Fixes
  • Fixed the Spend input to result in a Spend Failure if it causes a Player/Team Resource to fall below zero
  • Fixed Player Demon hand jittering
  • Fixed the Network cost of Lights. This may result in previous maps having a maxed network budget. Map authors may need to remove other networked objects or use the Static property on Props or Player Blocking Volumes that aren't altered using logic.

Seriously?!? This "update" is like 13GB! I guess they think I have unlimited bandwidth and space (neither of which I do-- I'm stuck on a 128GB SSD and 6 MB DSL connection which takes nearly 5 hours to D/L this). I've downloaded full games that are smaller than this. For this size, I'd expect a full SP DLC.

Does it fix the random ctd?

I've played the SP campaign for 4 hours so far, no random CTDs.

Improvements to Matchmaking
  • Fixed several cases of party invites not working after the host leaves.
  • Improved host migration success rate.
  • Fixed issues with network connectivity loss resulting in being unable to join future matches when connectivity was restored.
  • Improved handling of party peers in the game lobby.

MP isn't using dedicated servers? If only MP was more like the SP, such a missed opportunity.

Damn, that patch is huge! Had to uninstall every single other game on my drive just to make room.

Guess it's time to upgrade to a new SSD? Been rocking my Intel 160GB since 2011.

Does patch increase the game folder size cumulatively?
The game started with about 50GB. The first patch was +2.5GB. This is another +12GB.

Does patch increase the game folder size cumulatively?
The game started with about 50GB. The first patch was +2.5GB. This is another +12GB.

Yup, original game for me was 55 gb. With latest patch it's 62GB. They're no just replacing things.

Yup, original game for me was 55 gb. With latest patch it's 62GB. They're no just replacing things.
I hope it doesn't get more than 100GB by next year, unless id decided to add a lot of single player campaigns / expansion in it. I'll need a new SSD for it.

Wolfenstein TNO was 47GB on disk. This game is bigger and better in every way engine-wise. It's getting new MP maps too, which if they don't reuse a lot of assets can take up a lot of space with Megatextures. Maybe some of this space is new assets for that. I'll be happy to upgrade or add another SSD if they keep dumping new content into this game. (I'd prefer more single player, but they're definitely showing their dedication here.) Anything else based on Tech 6 is likely going to take up a lot of space too. Time for SSD upgrades. Honestly, how long do people think they can make 128-160GB last these days? I'm running a 250 for my system drive and a 500 for my Steam drive. I keep a lot of games installed, and even with Doom taking a nice chunk (and Wolfenstein and RAGE as I play those frequently too,) I still have a decent amount left. These drives aren't overly expensive anymore.

Between the latest nVidia driver and this recent update, I'm still seeing latency, or stuttering, issues with Vulkan and my 1070. It's not a big deal since playing with OpenGL is perfectly fine but I'm still curious as to why Vulkan adds latency on my system when the whole idea is that it is meant to reduce latency.

It's also worth mentioning that the weapon wheel still freezes/pauses the game when running over 145 fps.

Steam has the game on sale now for $39.99, is it worth it, taking into account i am a multiplayer kind of guy? Is there life online or just a few people playing?

Back