Doom 4 E3 reveal.

So... what recent or classic FPS does this match most? I may wind up getting this if its interesting enough for me by mid July (b-day!).

Seriously though, it's as Doom as Doom can get. Simple, but very precise mechanics. Gorgeous visuals, perfectly suited audio. Lots of secrets, a tiny touch of humor in just the right amounts at just the right times. A light story that is just enough to compel you to play.

It's an id game in every way. There really isn't anything else that does exactly what a Doom or a Quake does, so comparing to anything other than Doom or Quake isn't going to make a whole lot of sense. If you like those games, you will like this game.

What sets this one very slightly apart is that it seems to be appealing to both people who liked the originals and people that preferred Doom 3's style of play. They really seemed to refine it right down to its essence, and release it in proper shape for each platform its on.

I have had a big grin on my face for most of my time with it.

Good to know its a classic id game. RAGE gave me a bad taste, so I'm a bit cautious. I'll definitely add it to my wishlist.

So, I've been trying to beat this the first-time through on Nightmare, AKA UNFAIR mode. It's been Pretty manageable up until when you get transported to Hell. Once Barrons show up, its pant-shitting time. The biggest issue is that just about ANY attack will destroy half of your health, you have to manage who's attacking you more than who you are attacking. A single imp-fireball will take out three figures of health if unarmoured. Now I've had some pretty epic, EPIC battles that required dozens of attempts, but each and every time I want to break my keyboard in half, I can't help but feel absolutely compelled to try again. When the battle is finally won, I can't help but keep a massive grin on my face.

This game is freaking worth every penny.

Just got stuck in a part with the music going as if there was a demon still alive but no demon anywhere. Huh...

I've had a couple other instances where I did a glory kill near a wall or something pushed me in a weird way, and I got stuck inside the geometry of the map.

Just got stuck in a part with the music going as if there was a demon still alive but no demon anywhere. Huh...

I've had a couple other instances where I did a glory kill near a wall or something pushed me in a weird way, and I got stuck inside the geometry of the map.

It's usually an imp somewhere. Sometimes above or below. I've had this happen several times and there was always SOMETHING that actually caused it. Typically peon of some sort....

Yeah I checked all around and nothing. My guess is it got stuck in the wall or somewhere where I couldn't see it.

I've seen enemies get stuck halfway in the ground/wall before so it's not that uncommon. Just kind of sucks because then you have to start over from checkpoint.

That does suck. I got stuck on a curved surface in a later level, but nothing a little wiggling didn't solve. I haven't run into any situations like yours though. I've always found the little bastard. A few times it's been imps that climbed up pillars, and I had to get close enough to them for them to try to attack or change position. This happened in a rather large area I was in last night.

It may be a difficulty thing, I noticed that on Nightmare (and most likely UltraViolence) enemies don't stand still and will just freaking rush you regardless of where you or they are. I have not had the issue yet, but I DO have some issues where in some levels you can pass a point of no return, where you have to replay the mission to find a secret early on. Also, some of those little weapon mod drones fly away when you discover them (little bastards) but I glitched one when I activated it before it flew away. It actually took my character for a ride and took me beyond a key door that I couldn't open (!!). fun times.

Anyone know how to get the soundtrack? Can I rip it from the game files or is there a download somewhere? I want to listen to the music ALL THE TIME. I would like something other than youtube clips so I can load them in my phone and play them when I drive.

I might have to rip them straight from youtube.

Last edited:
I would like to know as well, Mick Gordon did most of the Doom 2016 soundtrack, he also did work on Wolfenstien: The New Order since then I've become a fan.

I'm sure there's a way to extract them from the game files.

Still early in the game but so far it's been fun, I was getting owned on Ultra Violence so had to tone difficulty down. Too much The Division and using the cover system.

Game runs great and looks good with my 2500k and GTX 980

So... what recent or classic FPS does this match most? I may wind up getting this if its interesting enough for me by mid July (b-day!).
Single- or multiplayer?

The campaign is not your typical hallway shooting gallery simulator. It’s a bit more old school. Wolfenstein did this too: a few corridors but some open arenas.

Anyone know how to get the soundtrack? Can I rip it from the game files or is there a download somewhere? I want to listen to the music ALL THE TIME. I would like something other than youtube clips so I can load them in my phone and play them when I drive.

I would like to know as well, Mick Gordon did most of the Doom 2016 soundtrack, he also did work on Wolfenstien: The New Order since then I've become a fan.

[GUIDE] Unpacking and converting audio files from DOOM + Music Rip Downloads • /r/Doom

That might help. I may give it a shot when I'm home from work.

Single- or multiplayer?

The campaign is not your typical hallway shooting gallery simulator. It’s a bit more old school. Wolfenstein did this too: a few corridors but some open arenas.

If anything the Multiplayer is actually more complex and varied than any previous Doom game. If they DLC a proper Deathmatch mode, it will be Doom+ as far as multiplayer goes.

Single player I agree. I think if we HAD to pick a game that's not Doom or Quake, Wolfenstein: TNO would be the closest in recent history. In fact, some areas remind me of the Moon Base level. I'm really hoping Machine Games and id make a new Quake together. That would be probably the best thing ever. :D

If anything the Multiplayer is actually more complex and varied than any previous Doom game. If they DLC a proper Deathmatch mode, it will be Doom+ as far as multiplayer goes.

Given the lack of weapon pickups and the 2-weapon loadout system, I can't really agree with this. They would need to fix that as well for this to really have a classic MP feel, and I doubt that will happen due to the unlock system and basically everything revolving around loadouts.

SnapMap has limited functionality to accomplish this but it's got its own issues (4-player limit, console-based restrictions, etc.)

Given the lack of weapon pickups and the 2-weapon loadout system, I can't really agree with this. They would need to fix that as well for this to really have a classic MP feel, and I doubt that will happen due to the unlock system and basically everything revolving around loadouts.

SnapMap has limited functionality to accomplish this but it's got its own issues (4-player limit, console-based restrictions, etc.)

Which is still very much in the realm of the originals. The original was 4 player deathmatch. Plain and simple. Doom 3 had a couple of extra modes, but it was still limited to four or eight players, and only DM / TDM modes if I remember correctly. So, loadouts or no, it's still got a lot more to it than the originals ever did. Weapon pickup or loadout is a personal taste thing. I prefer pickup, but it's not that big a deal really. (for me) Still, overall, it has more varied content than any previous Doom game. (Quake is another story entirely.)

My guess is that the original was 4 player because of the technical limitations at the time. Probably didn't have a lot to do with choice, but who knows?

And like you say, Quake sort of brought MP into the spotlight. With the benefit of all that time and experience implementing MP you would think that a revitalized Doom would go beyond the limitations of the original game and benefit from that experience.

My guess is that the original was 4 player because of the technical limitations at the time. Probably didn't have a lot to do with choice, but who knows?

I agree completely. It was the first networked multiplayer FPS period. 4 players was actually huge back then. Stringing up a makeshift coax IPX LAN to play it was insane for the time.

I mean, you could play some other games over serial connections, or via modem back then, but there was nothing like Doom until Doom.

I'm on a 970 / 4690K / 16GB on the driver version that came out a few days before Doom was released. (not at home, so not sure what the rev number is) I haven't seen a single spike during my entire play-through. I got one CTD, but that was when Windows 10 decided to prompt for a reboot, and the game didn't recover. I've got most things on high or ultra, but motion blur on low, and AA on one of the lower settings. It's been smooth as silk at 1080.

Has it done this since you got it, or maybe after a driver update? I've read about some oddness after some of the NV driver updates that came out after the game.
Could have to do with the new power setting in the NVCP. I think it's called Optimal-something. Try changing it back to Adaptive or Prefer maximum performance.

Thanks for digging that up. I found something easier from that same link.
Most of the songs right here full download even in FLAC. It excludes the several other sub 2 minute sound clips and just leaves the full songs.
Awesome. Yeah I wasn't browsing too deep into reddit at work.

Single- or multiplayer?

Always Single. My main issue with the new Wolfenstein is that they allowed stealth for a long time but once I hit the sub, they crammed me into a room full of hyper accurate bulletsponges. All of my stealth skills were totally shot & I kept dying. I swiftly ragequit after that & moved on to another game.

Always Single. My main issue with the new Wolfenstein is that they allowed stealth for a long time but once I hit the sub, they crammed me into a room full of hyper accurate bulletsponges. All of my stealth skills were totally shot & I kept dying. I swiftly ragequit after that & moved on to another game.
I really liked Wolfenstein (both New Order and Old Blood) but they were deeply flawed. I agree, it really felt like there were stealth sections and action sections, and when the two mixed it generally devolved into straight up action. The pacing was always a little off. They were good campaigns, but required perseverance.

Just got a chance to play this last night. Starting with Default difficulty. (Hurt me Plenty) Graphics are really good. Puts my 290 to good use. 1440P mostly Ultra with Shadows on high. Solid 30-60FPS with vsync off. Very fun. Looking to put a lot more time in over the weekend. Well worth the $$$ just for Single player. Can't wait to try this on my HTPC with a soon to be 65inch 4K Vizio 2016 M line.

Here's a video of gpu usage dropping for no apparent reason in Doom for me. As I noted above, I get gpu usage drops throughout the game. As I'm playing the game, the gpu usage will go from 98% down to 70% or whatever amount and then shoot right back up to 98%, all in the span of about one second. It doesn't happen very frequently, but when it does happen, the game hitches and becomes un-smooth for a split second.

Would anyone be so kind to try and reproduce this and see if you see the same thing? I can get this to happen 100% of the time in the location of this video. This is very simple to reproduce, and it should take less than one minute, as it's right at the beginning of Lazarus Labs. After you exit the elevator, just go through the very first door into the room where Olivia is in. Now, note the door to the right of her. Just walk in a straight line, to and away from the door and see if your gpu usage drops. If it does drop, you'll notice the game will hitch for a split second. I just want to know if other people are seeing the same thing. If they are not, then it means something in my rig is causing this problem.

Last edited:
Any time I hit Tab and look at the map or whatever, when I go back to the game its like in slow motion for about 30 seconds. The game just bogs right down. I'm going to associate that with having a very mild rig (i5 and 770).

Any time I hit Tab and look at the map or whatever, when I go back to the game its like in slow motion for about 30 seconds. The game just bogs right down. I'm going to associate that with having a very mild rig (i5 and 770).
I have an i7 and a 760 4GB. Using the latest drivers. I don't experience any of that.

I am using the default settings for graphics and it is usually around 50fps. I'm guessing there is a graphics setting causing your issue.

Occasionally the fps spikes up to 60 in empty rooms and drops to the 40's. But it never lags and isn't noticeable.

Just finished the campaign...fucking awesome. Best FPS I have played in a long time. I agree that it started to get a bit repetitive near the end but overall it was just fucking great.

I will probably go back and replay some of the maps to get all the collectibles and whatnot but I think I got the majority on the first run.

Performance-wise, it was pretty good about the first 2/3 of the game but near the end I started getting some noticeable drops, I think it had to do with the fog/mist or something. Still plenty playable but there were definitely some drops to around 30-40 in brief areas.

Got kind of a late start compared to some of you guys, but I just completed the Foundry mission. This game is awesome. It's not as "scary" as Doom 3 but it's kind of unsettling to play at times.

I agree that they did an excellent job with the sound design. The game really makes tremendous use of my sub...can't wait to try my DT-770 Pros with it later tonight. :cool:

It's really not scary but when you get into the arena parts and you hear that music kick in, your butthole clenches a bit anticipating the fight. :cool:

That said, walking around the levels (especially when backtracking for secrets/when not in combat) there are some pretty creepy sounds that play occasionally. Overall it can be very unnerving.

Yeah. It's definitely not terrifying in the Amnesia or Alien Isolation sort of way, as in I don't feel a sense of dread while playing. But unnerving at times, as you said? Definitely. The monster design is great and some aspects of the game are downright creepy (sounds, environments, NPCs, etc.). I was really tense after one particular battle (I was frantically trying to put some distance between me and a Hell Knight in close quarters and he was rounding the corner every time I looked back) and something happened in my room that made me jump big time. It's a good thing my back isn't to the door because if someone snuck up and "goosed" me during one of those moments I'd be clinging to the ceiling, heh.

I have an i7 and a 760 4GB. Using the latest drivers. I don't experience any of that.

I am using the default settings for graphics and it is usually around 50fps. I'm guessing there is a graphics setting causing your issue.

Occasionally the fps spikes up to 60 in empty rooms and drops to the 40's. But it never lags and isn't noticeable.
Just to update this, I had the settings on whatever the game put them to as default. I dropped the motion blur to low and its runs perfectly fine now. No issues.

Just finished the second mission this morning. I can never seem to find those levers to pull. I found all the secrets, but missed out on all the challenges; need to kill two mobs with one trigger pull of the shotgun.

Still early in the game but so far it's been fun, I was getting owned on Ultra Violence so had to tone difficulty down. Too much The Division and using the cover system.

Game runs great and looks good with my 2500k and GTX 980

Just use Youtube Ripper.

Wow i just got this and have been playing fro 20mins and this game made me realize where my roots began. Fast passed twitch no BS shooter

F*ck pressing "E" to pick stuff up and shift makes you go slower not faster!!! . Man the days of UT 2004 seem like a lifetime ago

Last edited:
So, I've been saving my weapon upgrade points. Should I just start cashing them in?

You can wait for more weapon mods if you want, but if you do the challenges and stuff there are plenty of upgrade points to go around.

Can anyone tell the difference in ultra vs nightmare? Seems very subtle
I finished the game on Ultra-Violence and then went and did a few levels on Nightmare. Big difference. Enemy attacks do much more damage to you. On Nightmare, you can survive 1 fireball from an imp and that's about it

Back