Doom 4 E3 reveal.

Have you guys gone through any secret levels yet? You should for old nostalgia sakes....:D

I tried the MP for a few rounds. Hated it. But I didn't buy this game for its MP....

For the life of me, I can't find any of the secret levels. How do you go about finding them? And does anyone know how many secret levels there are?

"dons flamesuit"

I am playing this on XB1 and with a controller it plays nicely. Also has graphic options where I can adjust FOV and Motion Blur. Currently have my FOV maxed at 110. Looks great. :)

Now, flame away!

My PC is long in the tooth and I'm not ready to upgrade so I went with the PS4 collector's edition, that and I wanted to play it on my 73" with the 7.1 surround sound. :D The console forum doesn't have it's own dedicated Doom thread so I've been lurking in this one.

13244861_1398305956898702_4933930660112015752_n.jpg

Game sits around 80fps on Ultra with TAA @ 3440x1440 on my setup.

game is getting better reviews then I was expecting...don't know if it's because people's expectations were so low or if the game is actually good but I'll probably pick it up down the road

Anyone else found the level
(Argent Tower) annoying? It felt more like a platformer than a shooter. Having said that, I'm having a lot of fun with this game.

No, I found that good. It make change to the game. And the climbing and jumping does not end there

On secret areas. There is a suit upgrade that will make the compass pulse when you're near them. If you play with a pad, it will rumble a bit like Ocarina of Time.

Has anyone had a chance to test this on an ole' i5-750/760??

I really wanna bite seeing as how I spent most of middle school playing Doom II on Dwango and making WAD's etc.

game is getting better reviews then I was expecting...don't know if it's because people's expectations were so low or if the game is actually good but I'll probably pick it up down the road

The single player is really good. It feels like classic Doom. It doesn't have a lot of the bullshit of modern shooters. Everything is very fast and responsive. It looks really good. The weapons feel great. The level layout feels Doom-esque. It's even got freaking key cards. This is pretty much everything I wanted out of a modern Doom game. No comment on the multiplayer though, I have no intention of trying it.

The single player is really good. It feels like classic Doom. It doesn't have a lot of the bullshit of modern shooters. Everything is very fast and responsive. It looks really good. The weapons feel great. The level layout feels Doom-esque. It's even got freaking key cards. This is pretty much everything I wanted out of a modern Doom game. No comment on the multiplayer though, I have no intention of trying it.

then Bethesda/iD Software did a horrible job of marketing the game...releasing a MP beta, bad trailers and holding back review copies didn't do the game any favors...

then Bethesda/iD Software did a horrible job of marketing the game...releasing a MP beta, bad trailers and holding back review copies didn't do the game any favors...

Indeed. Their review policy didn't help either. The same thing happened with Wolfenstien: TNO. Really terrible early impressions from the media, combined with bad advertising, and a shitty review policy.

On secret areas. There is a suit upgrade that will make the compass pulse when you're near them. If you play with a pad, it will rumble a bit like Ocarina of Time.

Damn, I've miss this upgrade and now I almost finished the game.

I installed the new nVidia drivers and it seems that my FPS is capped at 60 now. VSync is off (GSync). Anyone else experience this?

Has anyone had a chance to test this on an ole' i5-750/760??

I really wanna bite seeing as how I spent most of middle school playing Doom II on Dwango and making WAD's etc.

I have a I5-4590/GTX 760. You're processor doesn't meet the minimum requirements but I'm pretty sure it should work. Seen people playing beta with it, although it will be a bit slower) My experience so far:

I've been trying to squeeze as much out of the card as possible. I'm running at 1920x1080. Lighting Ultra (Indoors) High (outdoors) Resolution scaling (90%) No Anti-aliasing Motion Blur low, Depth of Field low, Depth of field anti-aliasing off and the rest of the settings on high. Normal frames around 45-60. During intense battles around (depending on area) 32-38 FPS. But still feeling smooth. If it dips below (Happened only once or twice, this engine is awesome) I set resolution scaling to 80% and lighting to High and it goes to around 36-40 FPS during heavy scenes.

However, if you put everything on Medium (resolution scaling 100%) you'll have a more balanced FPS that stays around 45-60 no problem. Might even have some room for Anti-Aliasing. The reason I'm trying to play the game on High/Ultra lighting is because it really makes a difference how the game feels. (Although Medium already looks great) It has visually a big impact.

Last edited:
this game is really something else, exceeded all of my expectations. great graphics, animations, gameplay and best of all: level design. the level design is so incredibly refreshing. the only thing that prevents this from being a 10/10 for me is the input lag. even with smoothing disabled there is still a significant amount of input lag to the point that even with vsync off it feels like vsync on in other games. i'm not expecting a fix but that would solidify this game as the best shooter of 2016 for me.

While the game has some problems, overall, this game just oozes quality through and through. And damn at some of these graphics. Some of the graphics in this game are just freaking insane and the levels are just freaking epic in scale.

I installed the new nVidia drivers and it seems that my FPS is capped at 60 now. VSync is off (GSync). Anyone else experience this?

The cutscenes are capped at 60fps, main menu is too. Once I got into actual gameplay my frame rate skyrocketed.

Can't wait! On vacation ATM for another week but already ordered. Looking forward to play next week

I want this so bad. Looks like a lot of old school doom. Hesitant on how it would run on my 2500k @ 4.5 and a 970@ 1080. Any ideas?

Wow, so I tried the MP component and they really really nailed this shit, just as with the SP component. I played in the alpha test for the MP and thought it was shitty, but it's vastly improved and different now. I very much appreciate having a modern arena shooter w/ the older superior mechanic of healthdrops. I've really grown tired of FPS's lately all having health-regen and generally not needing to rely on map drops. I could do without the demon transformation stuff, but other then that the MP is very solid.

Very solid game. First FPS i've bought in years that is actually good IMO.

I want this so bad. Looks like a lot of old school doom. Hesitant on how it would run on my 2500k @ 4.5 and a 970@ 1080. Any ideas?
I am in the same boat. 2500k @ 4.2 with a 290 and 1440p monitor. You should be fine for 1008p @ high or ultra. The latest wolfenstine game should give you a good idea.

A 970 should be great for this game at 1080p with ultra I would think.

I don't think this game is very dependent on a good CPU. It's more of a GPU / RAM bandwidth thing for the virtual textures.

I haven't been keeping up with the development of this game but are they still using those megatextures that they used for Rage?

I am in the same boat. 2500k @ 4.2 with a 290 and 1440p monitor. You should be fine for 1008p @ high or ultra. The latest wolfenstine game should give you a good idea.

Perfect...I am currently playing through the latest wolfenstein game right now.

I haven't been keeping up with the development of this game but are they still using those megatextures that they used for Rage?

No clue if the game is using megatextures. What I can say is this game has some of the best looking graphics I've ever seen in my life. It's not perfect, of course, as some of the textures aren't that hot, but damn, some of these levels are just absolutely gorgeous looking. I'd definitely put this up there with some of the best looking games out on the market, easily.

You'll be completely fine. A 970 runs this game extremely well, as this isn't a very taxing game.

Just got to Hell that Argent tower really makes you think I wanted to Jump off from the top pretty nice fake vertigo going on.
20160515132238_1_zpsujufgpf0.jpg

20160515144008_1_zpsgws4ndqi.jpg

Last edited:
It really is a shame that they chose to hype the game by releasing a multiplayer beta. I almost didn't buy the game because of how boring and average it felt. The single player feels so much better, they should have went full on "old school" and released a demo.

TSSAA (8XT)

Is this an FPS eater? Compared to SMAA/FXAA?

Wish HardOCP would do a Doom 2016 article. Where they go through each and every graphic setting with FPS benchmarks and comparison screenies. So far, the only website I know of that does that.

Wow, so I tried the MP component and they really really nailed this shit, just as with the SP component. I played in the alpha test for the MP and thought it was shitty, but it's vastly improved and different now. I very much appreciate having a modern arena shooter w/ the older superior mechanic of healthdrops. I've really grown tired of FPS's lately all having health-regen and generally not needing to rely on map drops. I could do without the demon transformation stuff, but other then that the MP is very solid.

Very solid game.

Agree

TSSAA (8XT)

It doesn't seem to be...I've tried various AA options and I don't see a massive hit either way. the TAA does seem to cause some grid artifacting with shadows / world textures but it's only annoying at worst.

Doom Benchmarked: Graphics and CPU Performance Tested

DOOM Benchmarked: Graphics & CPU Performance Tested

"there is one issue with Doom and it could go a long way in explaining why the game runs poorly on AMD hardware at launch. Some keen enthusiasts noticed that the game uses the latest OpenGL 4.5 version when running a GeForce graphics card, but it reverts back to the much older 4.3 version with a Radeon graphics card"

Just got to Hell that Argent tower really makes you think I wanted to Jump off from the top pretty nice fake vertigo going on.
20160515132238_1_zpsujufgpf0.jpg

20160515144008_1_zpsgws4ndqi.jpg

Man this game gives me vertigo all over the place.. lol. I find myself literally sort of jumping up in my chair while making leaps of faith to high up ledges. :)

This game is rad as hell...the only thing that keeps bugging me out is that I don't have to reload. I keep hitting R and it keeps cycling my mods. o_O

TSSAA (8XT)

Wish HardOCP would do a Doom 2016 article. Where they go through each and every graphic setting with FPS benchmarks and comparison screenies. So far, the only website I know of that does that.
i saw slightly lower fps with the SMAA settings than with TSSAA.

Doom Benchmarked: Graphics and CPU Performance Tested

DOOM Benchmarked: Graphics & CPU Performance Tested

"there is one issue with Doom and it could go a long way in explaining why the game runs poorly on AMD hardware at launch. Some keen enthusiasts noticed that the game uses the latest OpenGL 4.5 version when running a GeForce graphics card, but it reverts back to the much older 4.3 version with a Radeon graphics card"
Let's hope AMD address this.

Back