• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Do you remember your first graphics card?

First card was a ATi RageII 2MB. Upgraded that bad boy to the same POS ATI RageII 4MB. Then I finally got a clue and bought a 3dfx Voodoo3 3000 16MB. That is when I fianlly noticed what 3d acceleration was all about! From there I decided to try Nvidia out because 3dfx was closing shop. I bought a Geforce2MX 32MB. Upgraded that to a Geforce4MX 64MB. Found a good deal on a Geforce4 TI4200 64MB soon after and used that for a year or so. Then the Geforce5 series came out and I wanted to try one because it was part 3dfx inspired and so I went Geforce5 5700 128MB. This card was fine till BF2 was released as it died in that game. Well, being a huge fam of the BF games I upgraded to a Geforce 7600GS TOP 256MB and all is well in BF land lol...

My next card will probally be a Geforce 9600GT 512MB!
 
Wow, can't believe someone else remembers trident.

I think my first card (386 machine) was a Trident 1MB that could not do SVGA, only vga.

Remember Trident? I guess that's one way of putting it... One of my high school friends was surprised when his old 2D video card was replaced by a Trident 3DImage975, a Direct3D-only accelerator which had the ugliest texture filtering EVER. All textures rendered looked like poorly compressed JPEGs, and the rendering speed was about on par with an S3 Virge (could have been lower, I just don't remember the piece of crap very well any more). The Blade3D was better - I helped a different friend who got a beige box from a small local company figure out what his new cheap computer could do, and we discovered to our shock that it would run GLQuake and Quake II without a lot of issues. A few months later he picked up a 16 MB TNT, and the Blade3D eventually found its way into a print server.
 
First real graphics chip was a 32MB Radeon VE PCI I stuck in the old Dell to make it run a game that somehow ran fine on a 75MHz PowerMac with 1MB of graphics memory...
 
Voodoo 3 ;)

But I still have an ATI Rage 8Mb still in the box and shrink wrapped.....Might put it on e-bay...BIN for 50 cents FTW!
 
My first GPU was a Ati Radeon 9600Xt, it struggled to play farcry.
 
The first aftermarket video card i bought with my own money was an ATI 9600 All-In-Wonder. Its not that old, but for most of my life onboard graphics with 8mb of RAM was plenty.
 
My first GPU was an FX5200... the guy at tiger direct told me that it was a GOOD gaming card. This was before I knew anything about computers. After suffering with that card for a few months, I picked up a 9700Pro about a year after it was released.
 
I think it was a 16-Bit ISA card. I can't remember the brand but the logo was purple. I also can't recall how much VRAM it had. Possibly 1 meg.

This was for a 486 DX-33 with 8 megs of RAM! :eek:
 
Of course I remember my first video card. I just receive my first video card week ago. Jump from a integrat video card to Evga 8800 GS 384MB.
 
Let see...

My 1st PC was an XT-Turbo clone (10mhz of pure power!) and a Hercules monochrome video card. It wasn't bad 720x348 but I had to use a program called simCGA so I could run games that didn't support monochrome. After that I got my 1st VGA card, a 256k but I don't remember the brand (orchid?). After that I went to a generic 1mb VGA card then I got my 1st '3d' card, the S3 Virge 3D. Compared that what I had before, it was awesome.

After my student loans came in, I splurged and got an ATI All in wonder (8mb Rage Pro) and a Monster 3D. Sometime after that I got the Voodoo 2, can't remember exactly...its been a while. That lasted a while until I got an Nvdia FX5600 (there was a card before this one but I can't remember, I think it was a low end radeon but I'm not sure). After the FX5600 I got a 6600GT then the ATI X1800XT and now I have a 8800GT 512MB.
 
I don't remember what videocards were included stock in my earliest computing days. However, I remember attempting to upgrade a Pentium 75 computer's stock video card with a Voodoo Banshee. It didn't work though so I had to wait until I built a new Athlon computer to get decent video. That one was a GeForce 2.
 
ATi Xpert@play. 8 MB of PCI goodness. It was a huge upgrade from the onboard Cirrus Logic 1 MB video.
 
GeForce MX 400

::Shudder::
Got it cos I thought PC games sucked :-|

Then a 6800 AGP, 6800Ultra AGP, 7800GT, 7800GT SLI, x1900xt, x1900 Xfire, 8800GT
 
MX400......didnt even open it. Took it back for a Geforce TI-4200,was recommended on The Screen-savers show best bang for your buck wayyy back in 02-03 when i bought Medal of Honor:AA!
 
First real card was a Voodoo3 3000 PCI card. It was like a miracle compared to the onboard ATI graphics that my MB had (IBM P II 350Mhz). Star Wars Pod Racer was a whole new game after that. Then a New computer with an agp slot (Compaq with the first of the Athlons (550) and a Voodoo5 5500 which I still have in the box.
 
Did the Commodore 128 have a video card??? I seem to remember having some cards that only had 4 MB of RAM and a couple of the Voodoo cards but I am getting old and am suffering from CRS.
 
I dunno what was in my parents' PC that I used to play WarCraft 2 on, but after that my 'rents got me a PC with an MX420 and when that started crapping out (funny part was that it actually had enough power to keep-up with a lot of the games I wanted to play, it just totally failed at supporting various technologies... like SM Anything) I got together with my friend and he helped me build my own rig w/an eVGA 6800 Ultra.
 
I remember my first gaming PC. I had a Pentium MMX @ 166mhz, with a whopping 96mb of EDO ram, Sound Blaster AWE32 (this sound card was like a length of a 8800GTS), initially a Voodoo Banshee 16mb and then I added a Voodoo 2 12mb. I thought it was a pretty beefy machine back in 1998. I remember fondly playing Quake2 and Total Annihilation with that machine. I really wanted to upgrade my machine to a Pentium 2 @ 350mhz back then but instead I held back for a total machine upgrade.
 
The first card I got was a s3 Virge 4mb to go in my brother's and my Pentium 100 with 8 meg of ram. My dad bought that for us. It worked ok for awhile, but then I spent my own money and bought a 3dfx voodoo 1 when they came down in price to like 100 dollars. We then bought 64megs of ram, and Quake 2 ran great!
 
I remember skipping out on the whole voodoo craze and my first real 3D card being the GF2GTS. It was pretty awesome at the time...
 
First real card was a Voodoo3 3000 PCI card. It was like a miracle compared to the onboard ATI graphics that my MB had (IBM P II 350Mhz).

My first video card was almost the same jump as yours was, except it was from ATI onboard to Voodoo 3 2000 PCI. I was around 12 yrs old, and didnt know much about computers. But yeah, wow... even my dad, who didnt know much about computers either, saw the amazement in my eyes lol. I never knew that simply putting a board full of chips in an old computer would boost its speed so greatly.

I remember reading the info on the back of the box it came in (which was a really sturdy box btw). The smell of the packaging and the voodoo eyes will leave me forever nostalgic.
 
Well. If you're talking graphics card bought separately, then Tseng Labs ET4000, went in a 386SX-16 MHz. Best 2D accelerator there was at the time. 3D? What the heck s that? :p
 
had a ProPC Pentium 100 w/ random SB card and 4MB gfx card. cant remember the make or model, but it wasnt any of the major brands i remember from the day...matrox, ati, trio.. i think the brand was SD or SB or something like that.

next PC was an HP Pav with an Asus TNT2 Pro 32MB card. later upgraded it to a 64MB Radeon 7500, which is sitting on my shelf waiting to ship in an Athlon XP AGP bundle i'm trying to sell.
 
my first standalone graphics card was a Matrox AGP card with a whole 2mb of RAM...my first decent card was a TNT2 with 32mb...

--neg
 
I remember my first gaming PC. I had a Pentium MMX @ 166mhz, with a whopping 96mb of EDO ram, Sound Blaster AWE32 (this sound card was like a length of a 8800GTS), initially a Voodoo Banshee 16mb and then I added a Voodoo 2 12mb. I thought it was a pretty beefy machine back in 1998. I remember fondly playing Quake2 and Total Annihilation with that machine. I really wanted to upgrade my machine to a Pentium 2 @ 350mhz back then but instead I held back for a total machine upgrade.

EDO Dram, you'd make feel nostalgic.
 
Ah, true nostalgia is the Amiga.
Which technically was my first 3d accelerator aswell (it had hardware that could accelerate polygon filling).
Be sure to catch the Amiga article series on arstechnica aswell, very nice.
 
Back
Top