• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Do you remember your first graphics card?

Diamond Stealth 64 S3 Trio followed by and not sure of the order of first several cards and I think I missed a couple early ones....

Matrox Mystique 3D
STB Velocity 128
Diamond Viper II Savage 2000
Diamond Viper V550
Creative Labs TNT2
Hercules Stingray 128 3D / Vooodoo Rush
Creative Labs Geforce 256
Hercules 3D Prophet (Geforce 3)
Creative Annihilator Geforce 2 GTS
PNY Geforce 3
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB
EVGA FX 5900 Ultra 256MB
ATI Radeon X800 Pro 256MB
EVGA 6800GT 256MB
ATI Radeon X800XT-PE 256MB
ATI Radeon X850XT-PE 256MB
Visiontek X1950 Pro 256MB
Sapphire X1950 Pro 512MB
HIS X1950 Pro ICEQ3 Turbo 512MB
Gainward Bliss 7800GS+ Golden Sample GLH Edition (1 day)
Gecube TEC X1950XT 256MB
XFX 7950 GT 512MB

PCI-E
MSI HD 2900XT 512MB
EVGA SC 8800GT 512MB
EVGA 8800GTS 512MB

Temporary cards only kept
for use between upgrades

Rage 128 Pro - PCI
FX 5200 - AGP
7300 LE - PCI-E

I enjoy trying out new graphic cards .......obviously :eek: :p :eek:
 
*First ever* Matrox Millenum II - P200mmx

S3 Virge
Diamond Monster 3D II - P200mmx

Guillemot Maxi Gamer Xentor32 - Celeron 400 oc'd 500

Matrox G400 - Celeron 400 oc'd 500

Herculeus TNT2 Ultra - Celeron 400 oc'd 500

Nvidia Geforce 2 GTS - Athlon 1000

Visontek Geforce 3 - Athlon 1000

-=No upgrades till 7 years later=-

ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT - Athlon X2 4800+

EVGA Geforce 8800 GT - Core2Duo e6750 @ 3.2

*Now* EVGA Geforce 8800 GTS - Core2Duo e6750 @ 3.48
 
First I can remember, ATi Mach64 2mb.

First 3d card(s): Diamond Viper V550 TNT 16mb w/ Dual Voodoo2 12mb in SLI. That was top of the line for it's time.:)
 
Wow, my first graphics card must have been an S3 Savage. I believe I used that on an old K6 266mhz... That's the CPU speed not the bus! :p At least I believe that was it from way back in the day.

After that I received a Diamond card w/ 16mb or so of RAM and from there received a Voodoo 5 5500 thinking it was the most amazing thing of all time. it wasn't :) But it ran Asheron's Call for me and sometimes ran DAoC and that's all that mattered!
 
I bought my first PC(Packard Bell P75) back in '95 and upgraded the on board graphics to a Matrox Millennium 4mb PCI card. As I remember it cost me over $300.

Nice, that's where my mention of Cirrus Logis 5340/5440 came from, onboard of course. I bought a DIamond Viper V550 TNT for it but I saved that beaty for my first build, celery 300A. That TNT came in a slick retail box, spent many days drooling over the box just waiting for the day I'd have it running.
 
Man, you guys are young! I remember working on a Trident MCA 512KB VGA card from 1989.
 
Once I went nVidia, I never went back...

ATI Rage 2MB onboard graphics
ATI Rage 8MB PCI
3dfx Voodoo 4 4500 32MB AGP (still going strong in my parents computer)
nVidia GeForce 3 Ti 200 64MB
nVidia GeForce 4 Ti 4200 64MB
nVidia GeForce 6800 GT 256MB
nVidia GeForce 7800 GT 256MB
nVidia GeForce 7900 GT 256MB (EVGA step-up)
nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB
nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB (EVGA step-up)
 
i think it was a ti4200 (which is the most powerful desktop card i have owned)

now am using an 8400M GS waiting for the gt200

ps.yes i know my upgrade path is slow :rolleyes:
 
It came with my first computer, a Gateway G6-450. P2 450 (fastest at the time), upgraded from 128 mb of memory to 192, don't remeber the chipset. But the graphics for the time was state of the art, Voodoo 2 2000 AGP 12mb + voodoo banche 4mb in SLi. I honestly didn't know what people were talking about when they said quake 2 was demanding :D.

The first video card I had decided to buy (with my dads money :) ) was a 6800GT. 3 weeks before the 7800GTX hit, for 319 dollars :(. Best investment ever however, the card never failed me, despite the voltmodding, despite the 4 hot swaps while the computer was running because I was too lazy to use pci screws, despite all the blackouts, and despite me ESDing (I felt the ark of static electricity) right directly on the GPU packaging.
 
The first GFX I purchased seperate from a packaged system was a Diamond Viper V550.

The good old TNT.
 
Man, you guys are young! I remember working on Apple IIe's back when I was in kindergarden and 1st grade!

Speak for yourself. ;) My first PC was a Toshiba T-1000 Laptop with an 8086 CPU running at 2.77 Mhz...that's Mhz not Ghz. The most thrilling game to play on it was Jeopardy in glorious Monochrome 2 tone color courtesy of Cirrus Logic Graphics Chip. Non-backlit display of course and no hard drive, but I did have the expanison module which gave me 640K of Flash memory that I could store whatever I wanted on. :rolleyes: Oh, yeah the OS was DOS 2.11 which was on burnt to a ROM chip on the motherboard. In perspective though it was a very advanced for it's time weighing in at only 6 lbs......

t1000lc5.jpg


You can call me Gramps.....:p
 
Man, you guys are young! I remember working on Apple IIe's back when I was in kindergarden and 1st grade!

My first "true" PC video card was a Trident MCA 512KB VGA card from 1989 on my dad's old 386 with 1MB RAM. Wolfenstein 3D was a must at that time period. We couldn't afford a soundcard at the time (soundblasters were ultra expensive back then) so we used the mobo speaker to produce the 'bleeps' and 'bloops'... back in the day! :cool:

My school had those little cube Macs (were they the IIe's?) and lots of Mac Performas with the ugly arched mouse.

Mavis' Typing Beacon anyone?
 
Guess the first real card I actually bought for a system was a Voodoo 3 2000



1.) whatever was on my commodore 64

2.)whatever was on my IBM ps2

3.)an acer with something in it that played Descent and Quake okay

4.) bought my first card which was a voodoo3 2000 pci to replace onboard sis 620 I think it was

5.) rage 128 when the voodoo died

6.) built another computer with radeon 8500 (card still running on my fedora box)

7.) built another computer with 9800xt

8.) finally built current computer with 8800gt (wife, house, cars all got in the way before I could upgrade)
 
First video card EVER was an IBM PC XT with Hercules graphics and a green monochrome monitor. God, I miss that old thing... wrote all of my school papers in Wordperfect 5.1 and printed them with an old Okidata dot matrix printer.

Years and years later in 1995 my first remotely modern PC was a Compaq Presario with integrated S3 Trio64 graphics - however, the motherboard didn't support PCI bus mastering, and it only had a meg of RAM, resulting in a 32-bit data path with no IRQ. It was hella slow - especially since the PC didn't have any L2 cache - but it ran my Doom engine games beautifully. Picked up a Matrox Mystique a while later, only to realize after doing so that it still wasn't getting an IRQ, and that it would never run GLQuake. Ended up working really well some time later, after I built my first PC from scratch - a Cyrix 6x86 PR200+ with 64 MB RAM and a Diamond Monster 3D, which was fast enough that it tore through Quake II and GLQuake even though the CPU was only about as fast as a P133. Took a BIG step from that to an Athlon 500 with 128 MB RAM and a Voodoo3 3000 just two years later.

As far as other video cards I've owned and used since then, here are some noteworthy ones:
- an 8 MB Voodoo Rush with TV out that still works flawlessly - even though it's not that much faster than a Rage Pro...
- two Rendition V1000s, a V2100, and an 8 MB V2200 with TV out, all of which still work. Wish they hadn't gotten eaten by Micron around 1999, their chips were way ahead of their time.
- a Permedia2, which had kind of a lousy hardware feature set but had insanely good and stable drivers. Damned shame 3DLabs didn't bother to write NT 5.x drivers.
- a 64 MB Kyro II, which was an astounding deal at the time. Back when I still had a KT333 system I remember using an Athlon XP 2400+ and gawking at the fact that it ran Half-Life 2 playably, even though it was ugly as hell. :)
 
The first graphics card I bought seperate from a computer was a GeForce 4 Titanium 4600. The 8800 Ultra of the 4-series :) Was DOA though, so I had to return it, only to find out it made no difference to my PC because it was so old and crappy. So I sold it to a friend. *Sigh* I've learned a lot more about computers since then.

We had some Dells with graphics cards before that, all I can remember is that they had 16mb of graphics memory.

My high school had 'Acorn' computers; I somehow doubt those contained 9800 GX2's in them.
 
I do not know what it was, but my first one was a Tandy with a 286 processor. That comp was the shit cause it had a CGA monitor (AKA before VGA). It played the golf game quite nicely!
 
Some onboard video in my celeron 533mhz machine
mx440 (1600+ system)
ti4200 (2500+ system)
radeon 9500 (sapphire softmoded to 9700 pro with omega drivers iirc) (2ghz p4 @ 2.67)
6600gt (3400+ athlon-64)
6800gt (3000+ athlon-64)
 
GeForce 256 BABY WOO! That thing was blazing!
GeForce FX5200-sucked.
GeForce FX-5700LE-sucked.
ATI Radeon X1300Pro-prettty decent for a budget card, really amazed me with over 130+ frames in HL2 in DX8
Geforce 7900GS- Loved it!
GeForce 8800GT- <3
 
Geforce 2 MX traded in my dreamcast for it at one of those game stores and started my love affair with the PC game
 
Mine was a Gerforce Mx 200 with 16/32? md VRAM.Was good at tht time.But the first desktop had a "generous" 4MB VRAM.Second laptop had a Ati Radeon 7500 chip with 64MB RAM.Technology does progress fast.
 
First one I ever had came in my graduation-gift Gateway, RIVA TNT2 I believe. First card I ever bought was a geforce FX5200 128 meg.
 
well here's a year by year summery of my experience with videocards from the very beginning.

1)Rage3d came with my blue and white powermac G3 (1999)
2)Voodoo 5500 mac edition DVI for above, TNT2 for my first PC (2001)
3)Geforce4 ti 128mb to pc, powermac G4 came with Geforce2 MX (2002)
4)9700pro to pc (2003)
5)6800GT to pc (2004)
6)X850XT/7800GTX/7800GTX sli and flashed 6800GT to my powermac (2005)
7)8800GTX (2006)
8)8800GTX moved to new Q6600 system, sister's 7800GS flashed to my powermac.(2007)
9)HD3850 added to my old AMD pc (2008)
 
I do not have the card anymore, and it may have been my second, but I still have the Installation Guide and Drivers disk in its jewel case for my STB Velocity 4400.
 
I had the original Diamond Monster 3d. I loved that thing.

After that, 6600gt.

Am currently at 7800GS.
 
First graphics card: Radeon 64 MB DDR VIVO.

Back when the FX5800 dustbuster came out, Kyle was offering to trade anyone for their card for the FX5800 Ultra. Mom didn't let me. I loved the way it sounded though...the way the fan speed ramped up like a helicopter.
 
Voodoo 3 2000 for $100.

w00t w00t! Voodoo 3 owners in the hoooouse!

My first video card was a trident 3D card of some sort, horrible. My first "Gaming" card was a Diamond Steal 3D 2000.

My favorite card though was my 3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 (the one with 2 cores on the card). That thing was so damn cool lol
 
1st PC was a Sony VAIO Pentium 200MMX system with 2 Meg ATi 3D RAGE II onboard. I upped that with a screaming Canopus Pure 3D II Voodoo2 12 meg beast. Next was a 16 Meg Voodoo 3 3000.

Next system I built sported a 64 Meg Leadtek GeForce 3. That was upped to a 64 Meg Leadtek GeForce 4 4200Ti, then a 128 meg ATi 9700 Pro. After that came a 128 meg HiS IceQ 9800Pro, then a 256 meg BBATi 9800XT. Sometime later an evga 256 meg 6800GT came for one system while an HiS IceQII X800XT-PE card went in to my main rig. I got that thing when it was still the Phantom Edition... Paid way, way, way too much for it. Now I'm on an old 7900GTX but plan on changing that soon...

Update:
8800GTS G.92 => GTX280
 
integrated ATI 4Mb card > Ati Radeon (bro fried) > ATi Rage Pro Turbo 8MB >S3 Savage 2000 (HORRIBLE CARD!) > ATi Radeon 7500 > ATI Radeon 9100 > ATi Radeon 9600 > ATi Radeon 9700 > Ati Radeon X1650 > 2x ATi Radeon 3870's

yes thats alot of ATi's and no, i just picked them because they were the best at the time i got them. (also i got the 3870s for $140/canadian each!)
 
First vide card I ever purchased was a 1 mb video card for like 120 bucks.. it was ISA.. I don't remember what the chipset was. It helped me run DOOM a little better.. On my upgraded Packard bell 486 SX20 that was upgraded to a DX2 66 with six meg of ram fully loaded.. And 512k cache in sips that I had to plug into the mobo myself. that video card ended up dieing an untimely death.. horra for non cooled video processor death.
 
The first video card I bought was a Cirrus Logic 1mb card to replace a 512KB Trident board. Big waste of money but I learned my lesson and made wiser choices in video cards later on.

My video card history:
Trident 512KB
Cirrus Logic 1MB
Ati Rage Pro 8MB
Ati Rage Pro 8MB + Voodoo 2 12MB
Nvidia RIVA TNT2 (I liked the fact that I could have great 2D/3D in one video card)
Nvidia Geforce 2 GTS
Nvidia Geforce 3 Ti200
Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti4400 (Another favorite of mine :))
(I skipped the horror show which was the Geforce FX series!)
Nividia Geforce 6 6600 GT 256 MB
Nvidia Geforce 8 8800 GTS 640 MB
Nvidia Geforce 8 8800 GTX 768 MB (Nvidia does it again with another great card!)
 
Back
Top