• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Do you remember your first graphics card?

Asus Ti4200 128mb 8X AGP...bought it because the price was decent and came with Morrowind. Eventually replaced it with a 9800 Pro.
 
I bought a Tnt2 Vanta PCI from Jayton or was it Jetway because I didn't have AGP at the time. It was a upgrade from a on board cyrix blade or something like that
 
Mine went like:

Diamond Monster I
DIamond Monster II
Creative 3D Blaster Annihilator Pro
Leadtek 6800 Ultra
eVGA 7950GX2
eVGA 8800GTS 640mb (RMA'd up from the 7950)
 
I remember a VLB Cirrus Logic 1MB back in 1995, then a Diamond Stealth S3 4MB, Riva 1284MB. The good ol' days
 
Diamond Stealth, used the S3 Virge 4MB? graphics DEccelerator.

After that I got my first real hardware acclerated video card, DiamondMM Viper v550. 16MB RivaTNT. So awesome, Quake2 was amazing with colored lighting, dynamic lighting, smoothed/filtered textures. It was like gaming nirvana at the time =D
 
ATi Rage 8MB AGP, but the first one to blow me away was it's replacement: the Voodoo 3 3000AGP with 16MB of RAM. Take that 9800GTX!
 
The first one I ever bought was an AGP #9 Revolution 3D to go alongside my Voodoo2 SLI setup. But the first one I ever put in my computer was a 16-bit ISA ATI VGA-Wonder with 512 KB of video memory (the PC in question was a 486 DX @ 40 MHz).

I replaced the #9+SLI setup with a Diamond Viper V770 Ultra (TNT2 Ultra). The game that killed the voodoo2 for me was Hidden and Dangerous. There was a level that slowed to a crawl with the voodoo2 SLI setup, but ran like a dream on the Viper.

So, starting with the AGP era....

#9 Revolution 3D (8 MB) + Diamond Monster II SLI (8MB x2)
#9 Revolution IV (32 MB) + Diamond Monster II SLI (8MB x2) (when the Revolution 3D died)
Diamond Viper V770 Ultra 32 MB
Hercules 3d Prophet II GTS 64 MB
PNY GeForce 3 64 MB
MSI GeForce 4 Ti4400 64 MB
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro 256 MB
BFGTech GeForce 7900 GT 256 MB
BFGTech GeForce 7900 GTX 512 MB
MSI GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB
MSI GeForce 8800 Ultra 768 MB
 
First pc was a compaq pentium 233 w/mmx 6 gb hd, 100 zip, floppy w/ 15 monitor. 640x480 resolution 4mb tnt graphic card.

First built was asrock p4 2.66, 80gb hd, 4x dvd burner. First true graphic card was 9700pro.

TNT 4MB
9700pro
x800pro
x1900xt
x1900xt + x1900xt cf
8800gtx
Next...
 
I don't know/keep the dates. And since I dont count any of the 486/lower machines I'll start with a Packard Bell 166mhz MMX! With onboard 1mb S3 Graphics.

6 Months into it I bought a PCI S3 Trio64v+ 4MB for awesomeness(Might have been diamond brand). Still no real texture support esp with the directx at the time. Kept this card untill tribes 1 came out. Tribes looked weird with no textures :)

Moved onto a Diamond Stealth II S220 PCI for the 2D Graphics, And a Diamond Monster 3D II (Voodoo 2 Chipset GLide API FTW!) For the 3D. Gaming changed greatly with this.

Voodoo 3 - 2000. W00t w00t.
Voodoo 3 - 3000. Brother wanted a card, bought the 3000, Decided he doesnt game so I traded my 2000 for his 3000.

Hecules Prophet 3D II Geforce 2 MX, Blue PCB ftw, massive overclocking

PNY Geforce 2 PRO, 64MB. Good overclocking after ramsinks. Not as good as the ultra but better than the GTS.

ATI 9700 Pro. This card ruled. then a year later all review sites shunned it after the 9800 came out. Every benchmark site listed the 9600 and 9800 for the longest. The 9700 was nowhere to be found online. Still used this card for 2 years and a half.

Nvidia Geforce3 TI 500. awesome card at the time. I also had a Ti200 in a machine and a Ultra for a few months. I beta'd Tribes 2 with all these cards.

Two PNY Nvidia 6600GT SLI PCIe. Lasted a year before I got a chance to upgrade to dual 7800Gt's for free. I gave my 6600Gt's to my brother.

To this day I still have my Dual 7800Gt's. I need to get rid of them and upgrade. Don't know what path to go. Problem is I wont get much for the 7800's, not they dont seem to be worth much anymore :(
 
Onboard CGA graphics in my 8088. For you youngins out there CGA = 4 colors. Ahhh memories....
Upgraded the 8088 to either VGA or SVGA ISA card. Can't remember for sure and I didn't know anything about computers yet.
Next up was the onboard video in my Packard Hell 486 (Hey, my parents were still buying them!).
Then a Packard Hell Pentium 75. Again, whatever it came with onboard.
Added a Diamond Monster II Voodoo card to it. Dunno how much memory.

Now we reach the point when I started to understand what all those funny numbers and letters meant.
Gateway P2-350 w/onboard 8MB Riva 128
P2-350 @ 466 w/ATI Rage 128, then Rage Fury MAXX, returned that and got a GeForce 256.
P3-550 @ 590 w/GeForce 256, then GeForce DDR
The GeForce DDR went on to live in a Celeron 466 @ 580, Celeron 600 @ 1133, then an Athlon 800 @ 920.
Athlon 1200 @ 1400 w/GeForce 2 Pro. 64MB, I think?
Various T-Birds with my Ti4200, Ti4400, FX5500 and GeForce 6200
Barton 2500 with a 6600GT
Next was a 7800GTX that lived with an A64 3200, then an X2 3800+ with a second 7800GTX in SLI. These live on in friends' computers.

Currently got an 8800GTS 640MB with my E6420.
 
ATI Rage something
Riva TNT2
Geforce 4 MX420 for-freaking-ever
radeon 9700 pro (here's where things started going downhill)
killed that voltmodding, another 9700 pro which I was #8 on the ORB with (it was annihilating 9800 pro's it was so overclocked/vmodded)
ATI X800XTX PE
Nvidia 6800GT
Nvidia 6800 Ultra
Another 6800 Ultra in SLI later on
7800GT
then another in SLI
7800 GTX in SLI
7800GTX 512mb SLI
7950GX2 Quad SLI
8800GTS 640
8800GTX

Now I said fuck it with the horrible games out there, and regressed back to a X1900XTX. Plays source at 9999999fps, which is all I need nowadays.
 
I went like this:

MSI 6800 Ultra
XFX 7900GS
EVGA 8600GT x2 (wanted to try SLI for cheap)
BFG 8800GT

(everything for me was onboard prior to the 6800 as I was a console gamer until then. Also, everything except the 8800GT was watercooled. )
 
Started with a Gateway 486-66 system and STB Horizon 1MB PCI card. It was soon upgraded:

Diamond Stealth S220-4MB PCI (worthless Rendition 2100) (dead)
3DFX Voodoo3 2000-16 PCI (just sold on ebay for $20)
Abit Ti4200-64 AGP-4x (still have)
Abit Radeon 9550Guru-128 AGP (still have)
EVGA 6800GS-256 AGP (RMA'ed)
EVGA 6800GS-256 PCIe (still have)
BFG 8800GTS-512 PCIe

Spare Machine

Gecube 9550XT-128 AGP (sold)
EVGA 6600GT-128 AGP (sold)
EVGA 6800GS-256 PCIe (still have)
EVGA 8800GS-384 PCIe

I completely avoided 5 series and 7 series geforce on my desktops :D

Getting ready to sell the 6800GSs.
 
Speak for yourself. ;) My first PC was a Toshiba T-1000 Laptop with an 8086 CPU running at 2.77 Mhz...that's Mhz not Ghz. The most thrilling game to play on it was Jeopardy in glorious Monochrome 2 tone color courtesy of Cirrus Logic Graphics Chip. Non-backlit display of course and no hard drive, but I did have the expanison module which gave me 640K of Flash memory that I could store whatever I wanted on. :rolleyes: Oh, yeah the OS was DOS 2.11 which was on burnt to a ROM chip on the motherboard. In perspective though it was a very advanced for it's time weighing in at only 6 lbs......

t1000lc5.jpg


You can call me Gramps.....:p

Ok Gramps, but back when I got off active duty (Navy) there were no PC's, computers used vacuum tubes and read punch cards. A 1.3mhz cpu cost 1/2million$$ and a megabyte of memory was over a million$ :eek:

I'm so old I was around when dirt was still a rock :D
 
Voodoo Banshee 16MB PCI :)

Made Quake 2 and Half-Life look good as hell :D
Cried like a little bitch in Unreal :(
 
Ok Gramps, but back when I got off active duty (Navy) there were no PC's, computers used vacuum tubes and read punch cards. A 1.3mhz cpu cost 1/2million$$ and a megabyte of memory was over a million$ :eek:

I'm so old I was around when dirt was still a rock :D

You sound like my Wife's father. You win and glad to give up the title Gramps. :p:):p
 
Mine was a old ati rage 8mb. Bless it's soul, I blew it up with fire crackers. =]
 
Mine was a old ati rage 8mb. Bless it's soul, I blew it up with fire crackers. =]
 
My parents rarely let me game as a kid, so my first dedicated card was a radeon 9200 128mb. Not a bad thing, that one. No idea where it is now...maybe my grandpa has it....
 
i had a trident something... then i upgraded to an S3 Trio 32/64 OMG it pwnd!!! infact i had a number of video cards before the S3 Trio 64... but that's the only one i can remember (cas it pwnd) lol


gowsh.. looking thru this thread.. some of you are old as time itself... punch cards vacuum tube... damn it mustve been exciting back then.. but i'll take my 8800GTX over that any day!~!!

i dont even think i was a sperm when vacuum tubes were around..

in school we had acorn mos machines where ud have to go SHIFT+BREAK remove Break remove shift to boot up into classic games like granny's garden... WHOA oMG
 
gosh i cant even remember if my 286 or 386 had a video card.. i do remember the oddly neat cabling in the 286.. it was all packed so tight... lol with the importance of airflow these day.. this pc would've died in 5 minutes with todays hardware in that box :)
 
Riva 128 ZX 8 MB was my first video card. Was actually a STB Velocity. Good times playing Quake and Descent. :D
 
Original 3dfx Voodoo 1... I will always remember the difference when I loaded up OpenGL Quake 1 for the first time... wow
 
Original 3dfx Voodoo 1... I will always remember the difference when I loaded up OpenGL Quake 1 for the first time... wow
 
I got a late start too, but thanks to Lanpirate1 my first card was an ATI Radeon 8500 LE, followed very shortly by a 9700pro. The 9700 lasted me quite a while and is still doing duty in my step-daughters comp and it runs The Sims ok for her!
 
Matrox Mystique 2MB (Upgraded it to 4MB)
Added Diamond Monster3D (Voodoo1) shortly after

GLQuake and Tomb Raider FTW
 
My first standalone video card was a 256 Kilobyte (yes, Kilobyte), 16 bit ISA video card, that used the Oak Technologies VGA chipset, part of my Packard Hell Legend IV 286 system.

It stuck with me through my 386 SX-25 and 486 DLC-40 days.

It wasn't until I upgraded to a 486 DX-40 CPU, that I finally got a "real" video card, in the way of my Diamond Speedstar Pro VESA Local Bus card. Great DOS performance, especially in games, but lacking in Windows.

I gave away that old system, and when I bought my Pentium 90 system, it came with a PCI-based ATi Mach 64-based card, the Graphics Pro Turbo (4 megabytes of VRAM, not DRAM). That was a fantastic Windows performer, and a darn good DOS performer, too.

I kept this card until I upgraded to a Pentium Pro, and switched to a Matrox Millenium II (8 megabytes of Windows RAM, not DRAM or VRAM). Again, a great performer in both DOS and Windows, but DOS games were going the way of the dinosaur by that time.

I tried using a Matrox Millenium G200 AGP card with my AMD K6-3 450, but that card, combined with VIA's awful drivers, resulted in frequent crashes in Win 98, so I ditched that card, got an ATi Expert @ Work AGP card, and also bought a Diamond Monster II (8 MB) card, that served me exceptionally well in 3D games, for several years.

It wasn't until switching to Win 2K, that I realized, that the Monster II's pass through features weren't supported, so I went with my first big time video card, in the way of the ATi Rage Fury. Very good performer, and for the first time, it was awfully nice seeing OpenGL graphics in 32 bit color, instead of 16 bit.

Since then:

Diamond Viper 770 Ultra (TNT2)
GeForce2 GTS
GeForce3 Ti200
GeForce4 Ti4600
Radeon 9700 Pro (briefly)
Radeon 9800 Pro (for a long time)
GeForce 6600 GT
GeForce 6800
GeForce 7900 GS (briefly)
Radeon x1950 GT (current)

Next up will be a GeForce 8800 GT, once they hit 150.
 
ATI Rage 2 or Rage Pro (can't quite remember but it was a brilliant card)
GeForce 2 MX440
GeForce 6600GT
GeForce 9800GTX
 
I used most of the early home computers, like the TRS-80 but in the more modern era of "real" PCs with add-on video cards I had an ALR PowerFlex 286 with a wonderful Paradise VGA card. I think it was a 256k card. It had a ton of modes but I used an NEC MultiSync 2A so it could handle almost anything. Those two together were a great combination.
 
Back
Top