• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Do you remember your first graphics card?

The first card I bought I got ripped off. I paid $250.00 for my voodoo 3 3000 then $300.00 for the 5500 PCI. I still have the 5500 for testing purposes.
 
First one I bought with my money was an ATI LT Rage Pro 4 MB.

And then the rest...
Voodoo 2
TNT2 Ultra
Geforce 2 MX 200
Geforce 2 MX 400
Geforce 4 TI 4200
Geforce FX 5900
ATI X800 Pro
7800 GT
7900 GT
8800 GTS

About $1900 total in just video cards over the years.
 
Let me think. Mine was the one I have now. 8600gt ddr2! But if you want to count the intel integrated graphics that would have been my first. 64mb of vram! woot!
 
had a p3 sony vaio, probably integrated. But the first was prolly x300 mobility in my dell laptop. paid like 150 extra for it now the free mobo im using that i got from frys has better integrated :(
 
My first graphics card? Creative Graphics Blaster! 2MB video memory!

My first 3D accelerator card? The Sierra Screamin' 3D! with the Rendition Verite V1000 (Descent 2 on Kali, those were the days.) http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_1996_Oct_24/ai_18790796

Then it was the Diamond Stealth II S220 with the Rendition Verite V2000 chiphttp://www.sunstorm.com/tech/ft-001r2.htm

Then I finally caught on and bought a Diamond Monster 3D II 8 MB (3DFX Voodoo 2) 800x600 was nice, but then I really wanted to wow myself and my friends, so I added a second to play 1024x768. (The birth of SLI, they called it that, too!) That's a total of 3 video cards!
http://www.combatsim.com/memb123/archive/htm/htm_arc3/monster1.htm
 
HMMM.
VOODOO 12MB ABOUT $180
AND THEN A SECOND, boy i was the king of "glide" games.
 
My first real graphics card was a nvidia Riva TNT. I was abosultely blowin away when switching from software to hardware rendering mode.
 
Voodoo3 2000 PCI - blew my load all over quake II after saving up forever for it.
 
The first I remember was a nvidia Ti4600. I loved it until I got an Ati 9700.
 
Let's see... My first graphics card that wasn't integrated was a Trident 9440 VLBus with 2MB VRAM that I upgraded myself to a whopping 4MB! took me from 1024x768@256 colors all the way to 1024x768@65K :D I had it on a AMD Am4x86 DX4 120@133MHz... I was [H]ard overclocking in the 90's (I think I was about 11 or 12 at the time.

Ah, good times... :)
 
GeForce 2 MX200 PCI version. 32MB if I recall correctly.

I learned alot from that Pentium 3 system I had. From a person who doesn't even know how to shut down a PC properly, I have learn so much, including all the mumbo jumbo about graphic card

The next card I got with my next system was a Radeon 9600Pro, never regreted it.
 
Voodoo 2 - It was the first time I ever upgraded a PC.

My first and only crack at upgrading a laptop video card was on my old Dell Inspiron 8200. I replaced an ATI 7500 with an Nvidia 4400 (I think that was its name). It took me about an hour to do it, but it worked great.
 
I had a gateway 2000 my dad bought for me in 1997. Wow it was a piece of crap - but it was my piece of crap. 233mhz p2, 32mb ram, sb soundcard, a whopping 4gb hard drive that sounded like it would explode any minute (and was also the most expensive upgrade made to the system - I think it cost an extra 200 bucks to go from a 1.5gb to 4gb hard drive, and to top it off it had a 4mb agp card that to this day I'm unsure of brand or model. Kept it for 3 years and in 2000 bought a dell xps system with an 800mhz p3, 256mb ram, 20gb western digital (that's still alive and NEVER makes a scratching sound), and a 16mb ati rage 128. Played q3 and deus ex like a champ. When I started playing CS it worked fine but I ended up buying a gainward gf4 ti4200 128mb golden edition to play bf1942 and the p3 was a severe bottleneck. Bought an athlonxp 1700+ and msi mobo and started building my first systems.

Since then through several builds each time I upgrade I jump from one graphics card camp to another. Kinda funny looking back at it.

16mb ati rage 128
128mb gf4 ti4200
256mb radeon 9600xt
256mb geforce 6800xt
256mb radeon x1900gt
512mb geforce 8800gt

Of all these, my favorite was the ti4200. Had it not been for half life 2 and dx9 I would've never upgraded. The 9600xt was nice but was bottlenecked by the p4 2.0 I had at the time, and once I upgraded to a socket 754 system with a 3000+ the stock fan died and I started getting random restarts.

The x1900gt was a really nice card. Shame I upgraded honestly. I don't even play crysis, but just like when dx9 hit, I felt like I needed to change with the times. I beat bioshock on it, and played hours of CS:S. Just sold it for $50 to a good home.

Not really looking to upgrade my gpu again for awhile if I can help it. Wrath of the lich king can't be that demanding graphically.
 
First one was geforce 2 MX200 that came with my compaq persario. Then I decide to built my first computer got the gefroce fx 5200, next built with a 6600gt 256mb top of the line $450. Now the last one is on my sig, 2 8800gtx SLI.
 
∞Velocitymaster∞;1032550485 said:
First one was geforce 2 MX200 that came with my compaq persario. Then I decide to built my first computer got the gefroce fx 5200, next built with a 6600gt 256mb top of the line $450. Now the last one is on my sig, 2 8800gtx SLI.

When was the 6600GT ever the top of the line?
 
Some Tseng 64 Kbit , then a Cirrus Logic 512 Kbit..I don't count the Amiga 1200, Amiga 500, Commodore 64 or Atari 2600 in though...
 
I remember when I first bought my computer 6 years ago for $1199...Top of the line, I think back then...

P4 2.26GHz
512MB DDR
80GB HD
40x CR-RW
Nvidia MX100/200 - I had no idea I even had a graphics card until like 1 or 2 years ago.......Recently I used the SoftQuadro mod and now have a Quadro MXR
17" CRT
 
First cards I had, up till now

-Matrix millenium
-3d Voodoo Banchee
-voodoo 3 64sdram
-voodoo 5 5500 128 mbsdram
- NV ti 4200
- ATI 9700 pro
- ATI 9800 pro
- Leadtek 6800 GT
- x800 GTO2
- 2x 8800 gts 320mb
- 2x 8800gtx
- 2x 8800 gt

gt200 to be continued.:D
 
My first video card (that I bought myself as an upgrade) was an ATI Xpert 128 16mb PCI. Bought it because Tribes 2 wouldn't run on Intel's IGP. It was awesome (I still have it and use it today in one of my VERY old computers).
 
1 MB onboard until I got a 16 MB Creative 3D Banshee for Christmas one year, lol.

LucasArts' "Outlaws" game looked a hell of a lot better.
 
256k cirrus logic or some such on my first PC 386sx around 1990 or so.

First 3d card was the venerable Voodoo 2 12MB version from diamond.
 
First video card was a 768k in my 486DX2 66MHz. I can't even remember the brand name.

I upgraded to a 4MB card and thought I was the king.

I then got the 3dfx addon card, Voodoo2, and on from there.
 
Here it goes,
  1. S3 Virge (?)
  2. Can't remember the name, began with a P
  3. ATi Rage 128
  4. Added 2x Voodoo 2 12mb
  5. NV Geforce 256
  6. NV Geforce 4 MX420
  7. ATi Radeon 9600XT
  8. 6600GT AGP
  9. 7800GS AGP
  10. 8800GTS 320
  11. 8800GTS 640
I think that's all of them, but I may be forgetting some. It has been a good 12 years since I started this habit so some things tend to get lost in the fray. I have had others, but these are the cards that have been in my gamer throughout the years.
 
Cirrus Logic equipped ISA VGA card with 768KB that replaced a Paradise E480 EGA card in a 386SX-40 1MB (DOS 6.22) after we upgraded an old XT 8088 8 MHz 640K (DOS 3.3) system..

Then came a PCI Trident 9440 2MB card when we upgraded to a Cyrix 6x86 PR120 16MB (Win95).

After that came an upgrade to a PR166, 96MB of SIMM RAM, and a Rendition Verite V2200 8MB. QuakeGL looked damn good.

The rest, is not so ancient history....
 
3Dblaster>Voodoo2>Voodoo3?Voodoo5500>GeForce3>GeForce 4200TI>9800 Pro>XL800L>6800XT>2x8800GTS's(320)
 
Idk, something integrated that came with my first toshiba. First one I bought for a custom rig was a 6600gt.
 
EGA card 16 colors colored running on a 286/16Mhz machine.

It had a whooping 512K memory on it! Almost more than the 640K memory to run Win 3.11.

Card back then costed $89 on sale as VGA was just the new standard on the block.
 
I started out using my grandpa's 386 with an AMD 40mhz chip 8mbs of ram and a 100mb hard drive. Ran windows 3.0 and some weird dos shell program. Commander keen rocked along with crystal caves, don't know what kind of vid card it had, probably isa

When i was 7-8 my dad bought a loaded up 486 33mhz 12mb ram, 240mb hard drive and a 1mb ATI vga wonder card, and get this, the mouse plugged into it? Was a really pimping system once it got a 4x cd rom put in it. Ran windows 3.1 dos shell 6.0 and fastmenu gold (loved that program)

when I was 12 I got my first real computer K6-2-300 oc'd to 336 (i was new to it) had an S3 Virge along with a voodoo1 4mb card, was pretty slick. Then upgraded it to a Diamond Viper TNT2 Ultra

Built my next computer duron 650@1ghz with the TNT2U then onto a radeon 7500

After that things kinda were a blur vid card wise becasue i was always changing things out but i think it went

radeon 7500 -> Radeon 9600np -> AIW X800 AGP -> AIW X1900 and then i started using laptops
 
My first computer was an IBM Personal Computer with a 486DX2-66 processor and 8MB of EDO RAM. If I recall correctly, I eventually persuaded my parents to upgrade it to 12 or 16MB. I don't remember, it was a long time ago, so I might be referring to the Pentium system we got after that. I don't even remember the video card it had in it either.

However, I do remember the first video card I went out and bought myself as an upgrade (one that did not come with a computer). It was an ATI Mach 64 with either 8MB or 4MB RAM, not too sure.

The first 3D accelerator I purchased was an ATI Rage Pro Turbo, some time in 1998. I still have the card, and it has found use on a number of builds, particularly when their AGP and PCI-E ports or cards stopped working. I actually used it on my most current Core 2 PC, because I had the rest of the parts before my 8800GTS arrived.
 
Geez.. My first computer had a VIC chip.. LOL!! Commodore 64.. Oh yeah.. Those were the days.. Heheh..

As for PCs as we know them today, my first dedicated graphics card (Not onboard) was a Voodoo1 card.. Wow.. We've come a LONG way.. :)
 
My first actual video card was the RIVA 128 I had some good times playing Quake II on that thing, and it was the first card that sort of began to compete with 3DFX (although it still couldn't match it, esp with glide). It was also the first time I had internet (28k modems ftw!) and my interest in computers really took off around then.

"The graphics accelerator consists of 3.5 million transistors built on a 350 nm fabrication process and is clocked at 100 MHz"

"Nvidia equipped RIVA 128 with 4 MB of SGRAM.....support for 3D resolutions of 800×600 and 960×720, higher than Voodoo's 640x480"

We've come a long way in the last decade :D

P.S. My dad had a 386 when I was very young but all I ever did on that was play Wolfenstein, and I have no idea what sort of video it had (I didn't even know how to use DOS, he just set the path so I could type wolf or whatever the file was called :))
 
Back
Top