Do YOU have Problems with YOUR RTX card?

Discussion in 'nVidia Flavor' started by FrgMstr, Nov 1, 2018.

Do YOU have Problems with YOUR RTX card?

1. My RTX 2080 Died

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  2. My RTX 2080 Ti Died

30 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. My RTX 2080 has BSOD Issues

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. My RTX 2080 Ti has BSOD Issues

13 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. My RTX 2080 has Other Issues

7 vote(s)
    3.2%
  6. My RTX 2080 Ti has Other Issues

23 vote(s)
    10.5%
  7. I have RMA'd my RTX 2080

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  8. I have RMA'd my RTX 2080 Ti

26 vote(s)
    11.8%
  9. My RTX is a Founders Edition

62 vote(s)
    28.2%
  10. I have NO ISSUES with my RTX card

156 vote(s)
    70.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. NukeDukem

NukeDukem 2[H]4U

Hug your 2080Ti's and tell them you love them, for you know not the date nor the hour...

2. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

Sorry if it was mentioned already (I didn't read pages 2-3) but Steve over at GN is currently working with owners of funked up cards to have them sent to him so they can do some further investigating. Could be interesting.

3. jpouza

jpouza n00b

Zotac 2080Ti AMP and no issues at all.

4. katanaD

katanaD [H]ard|Gawd

im running 1809. I wonder if people not having the latest DX, which the RTX cards are wanting is any issue?

5. RageVI

RageVI [H]Lite

Registered a new account because this is relevant. (Have an old account, but young me was stupid and I can't recover it). Kyle is a cool dood.

TL;DR: Purchased two 2080TI FEs. Had to RMA one. Currently using the replacement card by itself and I've experienced one BSOD so far. 0323 serial numbers all around. Not feeling great.

I started out using both cards + NVLink, but experienced frequent crashes, especially in games that utilized SLI. Eventually, Windows was giving me the whole "this device is having issues" spiel (My resolution was low, etc.). I narrowed it down to one card, which I RMA'd. I've been using one card at a time ever since, and while I don't believe I've experienced any issues on the other card I originally ordered, I did just BSOD with the RMA replacement.

My case isn't great for these cards thermal-wise, but I've been leaving it open with a desk fan obnoxiously blowing directly on the card just to eliminate some variables. I ultimately want to put these cards under water in a new build, but I need a little more confidence in them before I get there. I've had these cards for nearly a month and I haven't even played with overclocking yet.

EDIT: It seems that there's a huge amount of complaints of BSODs in ARK specifically (which I've been playing). While the card I RMA'd definitely died, I am not sure what the true culprit my latest BSOD is.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    cybereality and Dayaks like this.
  6. jgonz

jgonz [H]Lite

I am on Windows version 1803, still good to go.

7. cybereality

cybereality [H]ardness Supreme

While looking for solutions for the FC5 crashing, I found a thread recommending putting power limit at 80%. Tried that for about 1 hour last night and I didn't see any crashing.

Granted, 1 hour is not a lot of testing, but I was usually getting crashes in the 15 - 30 minute range, so that is a positive sign.

Especially since changing PSUs helped a bunch, I wouldn't be surprised if there is some sort of power issue here with the cards.

AceGoober and FrgMstr like this.
  8. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

At the end of the day it sounds like some are too finicky. I wouldn’t be surprised if it is the GDDR6 based on the reports.

If you get bored feel the ram from the back of the board and see if it burns your finger. ;)

The other thing is these are clocked pretty darn high out of the box. I know with my 980 I volt modded it to lock voltage because if it throttled it would crash once OC’d... it would drop voltage faster than core mhz. I wonder if that’s why the 80% helps here. Or adding more voltage.

Who knows...

AceGoober and cybereality like this.
  9. Lmah2x

Lmah2x Gawd

So is this just a Founders Edition problem? I can't seem to find any reports of dead EVGA and MSI cards. Digital Trends mentioned some Zotac and Asus though, but it seems like 95% of the dead cards are Founders Edition with a majority being from a specific batch 0323.

Reaperkk likes this.
  10. Reaperkk

Reaperkk [H]ard|Gawd

I'm curious about this too.

11. valkrien

valkrien Limp Gawd

Spoke to soon....JUST after I logged into [H] for a status update on my replacement card....it just died around 30 seconds into AC Odyssey. I got the space aliens dancing from 1980 artifacts....oh joy....
    Back to my 1080 for a bit and RMA time...again.......

AceGoober and cybereality like this.
  12. wyqtor

wyqtor Limp Gawd

My 2070 Armor from MSI is all good after 4 days and OC with nVidia Scanner (fingers crossed that it won't fail).

13. jmilcher

jmilcher [H]ardness Supreme

Good thing mining isn’t all the craze right now. If these cards have a significant failure rate at stock settings I can’t imagine how they’d do crunching numbers 24/7.

Anyone else find it ironic they push the envelope with price and what consumers will pay, and it’s the same ol’ Issues with launch cards that seem to plague every other or so generation launch?

At least if AMD decides to beta test with you it’s half the cost.

14. jmilcher

jmilcher [H]ardness Supreme

For me that’d be refund time. If I spend more time swapping cards... I’d take my money back and wait until this is all sorted.

AceGoober and Porter_ like this.
  15. Dayaks

Dayaks [H]ardness Supreme

Fury X and Vega 64 were both +$100 too high... the value wasn’t good at all.

AceGoober and wyqtor like this.
  16. Verado

Verado Limp Gawd

Looks like the poll needs to let people vote for "it died" more than once:eek:

Brian_B, jmilcher and AceGoober like this.
  17. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

They really need to offer refunds......no reason why you should be stuck in the RMA cycle like that.

18. CoreStoffer

CoreStoffer Limp Gawd

Wait, did you have two EVGA 2080 Ti die on you? These are not nVidia 2080 ti FE?

19. Mega6

Mega6 [H]ard|Gawd

LOL refunds. Good 1.

20. Supercharged_Z06

Supercharged_Z06 2[H]4U

Realize it’s a small sample size here, but if I am reading the numbers right, it looks like a good 25% of those here with FE 2080Tis may have had to RMA them... definitely not a good sign.

Sprayingmango and jmilcher like this.
  21. Mchart

Mchart 2[H]4U

What I can say is that I've moved this card to two different systems. One is X99 one is X470. On both I get occasional issues where I have a black screen on boot and have to hard reset the system. It's not often, but it happens. This only happens with the 2080ti and not the 1080ti I had.

22. Mchart

Mchart 2[H]4U

I didn't try that - Next time I will. It could just be a bug versus the actual card failing.

23. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

PCGamesN is is reporting that UK retailers have not seen above normal failure rates for the 2080ti cards that they sell.

It is notable that they don't sell Founders Edition cards.

Makes you wonder if this is a manufacturing problem at whoever Nvidia uses to contract manufacture these. (Foxconn?)

24. valkrien

valkrien Limp Gawd

I had one EVGA 2080ti OC Edition die on me. I sent that back for refund. I then bought a 2080ti FE from Nvidia.com thinking that would be a safe bet....I didn't read all the forums on Nvidia.com or here before placing the order or I wouldn't have. The card arrived super quick too. This card died on day 4 and RMA'd

Sprayingmango and cybereality like this.
  25. cybereality

OMG. I'm so sorry.

26. CoreStoffer

CoreStoffer Limp Gawd

Wow, talk about tough luck! :banghead:

valkrien likes this.
  27. brentsg

brentsg [H]ard|Gawd

Some people being unaffected and other having multiple cards die immediately makes me wonder if there are some power supplies they don’t like. Prob a crazy thought and just random occurrence though.

28. cybereality

Yes, I believe it's power related. I had nothing but problems with a Corsair AX1500i, and I swapped it for an EVGA 1000 G+ and it's been pretty solid since then.

Before, I was getting frequent blue screens as well as Windows not booting and all sorts of weird errors. After I put in the EVGA PSU it's been mostly solid.

Still got some crashing in FC5, but I think that is game/driver related and not a hardware issue. Though I did adjust the power limit on the card and that seemed to help.

I set it to 80% power limit and I haven't see a crash since then (probably put in about 4 - 5 hours now with no crash). Then I set to 120% to gain more performance, and it still seems working.

AceGoober likes this.
  29. cybereality

Spoke too soon. Got a crash and BSOD in FC5 just now.

This is really frustrating, especially for the cost of these cards.

Might have to do another RMA.

AceGoober, nEo717 and Dayaks like this.
  30. cybereality

Just got crash to desktop in SotTR and Dying Light after about 20 minutes of gameplay. It's not just FC5.

AceGoober likes this.
  31. TahoeDust

TahoeDust Limp Gawd

EVGA 2080 ti FTW3...so far so good

Armenius likes this.
  32. Slade

Slade 2[H]4U

I can't rule out driver issue for FC5 for me. I had a weird crash to desktop trying to leave a cave today, but on reload it was fine. Came back in the afternoon to play some more and found my computer rebooted itself. I'll have to monitor, but event logs didn't show anything conclusive. My crash from trying to leave the cave triggered a graphics error in the system log though. Subsequently I played 3 hrs non stop to no problems in FC5, 1 hr of Vermintide 2, and some OW to no problems.

33. Chimpee

Chimpee [H]ard|Gawd

PSU issues maybe if it random reboots though you aren't the first person to have issues with FC5 as well, I think Cyber is experience issues with FC5.

Armenius likes this.
  34. Mchart

Mchart 2[H]4U

Random reboot is fairly indicative of a PSU problem.

Armenius likes this.
  35. Spectraleye

Spectraleye n00b

Has anyone had issues with a RTX 2080? Have you been able to solve them?

36. Crotan

Crotan Gawd

I have the Evga 2080 Ti XC ULTRA, been great in games so far, using direct display port on my main monitor. And Evga Precision X oc for more aggressive fan profiles + the 130% power target.

While streaming to twitch, I usually have the broadcast and other junk on a second monitor, and I notice that stuff on the second monitor get's slight artifacts, while the game on my primary monitor is fine during the same time. My second monitor is using HDMI to DVI. Last time I saw artifacts like this but much much worse and on anything displayed was a single slot evga 8800 gt SSC that couldn't cool itself properly, they re released them with a bigger fan shroud hole for more air if I remember correctly.

anyway I game for hours on end, and as long as it doesn't impact a game I'm fine. I'm waiting for BFV next weekend, then I'll really put this sucker to work.

Armenius likes this.
  37. Mchart

Mchart 2[H]4U

I would back down that power target and see if the artifacts disappear. You don't want to be running it like that.

38. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

Nope no issue but game casual what brand of 2080 do you have. I had crashes in game for COD Blops 4 though.

39. Slade

Slade 2[H]4U

I need to see the random reboot in person to call it truly random and not chalk it up to yet something else bugging out. 1 unexplained reboot during non heavy gpu use in a span of 2 weeks is not a large enough sample size to work with. Also FC5 has had weird quirks since I got it in the summer with my 1080ti, so I can't rule out the game as being glitchy.2080ti is pulling 262W under load which is hitting its power reg limit at that point.

I've also installed the asus monitoring/oc program and have since prevented it from starting at start up now, so I'll keep an eye on it. GPU-Z is doing some logging for me now so I can see if maybe that catches something.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    Armenius likes this.
  40. jonneymendoza

jonneymendoza [H]ardness Supreme

Mine is ok so far touch wood. Got mine last saturday. its a pailet one