Do YOU have Problems with YOUR RTX card?

Do YOU have Problems with YOUR RTX card?

• My RTX 2080 Died

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • My RTX 2080 Ti Died

Votes: 30 13.6%
  • My RTX 2080 has BSOD Issues

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • My RTX 2080 Ti has BSOD Issues

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • My RTX 2080 has Other Issues

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • My RTX 2080 Ti has Other Issues

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • I have RMA'd my RTX 2080

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • I have RMA'd my RTX 2080 Ti

Votes: 26 11.8%
  • My RTX is a Founders Edition

Votes: 62 28.2%
  • I have NO ISSUES with my RTX card

Votes: 156 70.9%

• Total voters
The 417's introduced some weird bugs with video and multi monitor along with some performance boosts for games. Gaming has been 100% stable for me, I've put in 80 hours into Monster Hunter World in the past 2 weeks with no issues game engine wise. I think the updated codec nvidia uses is to blame. I notice some episodes I've been watching in mkv format require me to ensure it has loaded correctly and is playing before I can watch it. Once "stuck" I have to close my media player completely before loading another video.

The 417's introduced some weird bugs with video and multi monitor along with some performance boosts for games. Gaming has been 100% stable for me, I've put in 80 hours into Monster Hunter World in the past 2 weeks with no issues game engine wise. I think the updated codec nvidia uses is to blame. I notice some episodes I've been watching in mkv format require me to ensure it has loaded correctly and is playing before I can watch it. Once "stuck" I have to close my media player completely before loading another video.
I've been using SM Player lately and it seems to do really well with almost everything I open with it. Weird bugs persist, with odd flickering pixels between words as I type this... Gaming is ultra smooth, no issues there. Still getting the odd screen blanking issues between desktop windows when I open them full screen. Typically only happens with web browsers while streaming.

I tried pinpointing which codec was having a problem. I found my lavasoft codec was now incompatible with the current 417 set. It works fine with 416 drivers. I disabled it and went to some of the backup codecs I have and videos are working in a sense that I can immediate track to another time index immediately after loading and that I'm not second guessing which player I need to use to get it working correctly. It still has weird glitches when some videos play, I can see it on all black parts of videos where random white flickering pixels appear. Just for like 1/24 fps but enough for you to notice the randomness. In a busy scene (take st discovery and its insane JJ abrams lighting style) you wouldn't notice it.

I tried pinpointing which codec was having a problem. I found my lavasoft codec was now incompatible with the current 417 set. It works fine with 416 drivers. I disabled it and went to some of the backup codecs I have and videos are working in a sense that I can immediate track to another time index immediately after loading and that I'm not second guessing which player I need to use to get it working correctly. It still has weird glitches when some videos play, I can see it on all black parts of videos where random white flickering pixels appear. Just for like 1/24 fps but enough for you to notice the randomness. In a busy scene (take st discovery and its insane JJ abrams lighting style) you wouldn't notice it.

Good to know I'm not losing my mind on that either ... I see those damn pixels too. I first noticed them between text while typing when the text was white and the background was dark/black. It's clearly not just related to video codecs then. I can see it when I'm responding to posts on the [H]...

Its problematic to video and browsers. I think firefox is the noted problematic one in the bug log, but I imagine that other browsers may suffer similar due to key features of sites implement.

Its problematic to video and browsers. I think firefox is the noted problematic one in the bug log, but I imagine that other browsers may suffer similar due to key features of sites implement.
I'm using opera which is based on chromium.

I will try some other browsers when I get home. The other thing I will do is open up my publisher and paint the page black and swap my text to white. If it still does it there... I would say we've discovered a display flaw.

We are consistently reproducing the issue again and are finalizing the thermal chamber testing tomorrow (hopefully). Was supposed to be done that today, however we’ve had some serious weather and the lab techs didn’t make it to the office.

Next up will be the assessment of the DRAM’s.

It does it in MS Edge too. Not in my publishing software. Not in the current release of Firefox from what I saw. Doesn't do it in Libre Office either.

i was about to drop money on a used waterblocked evga black version 2080ti, but after reading this thread again, NOPE! way to risky and will skip this generation gpu all together. My waterblocked TitanXP is kicking ass with NO ISSUES!!! I shall stay where im at

My 2080 Ti has a first-run serial and it's still running well about 5 months later. Has Micron GDDR6. I even got the balls to put a 500 MT/s overclock on the memory with AB :nailbiting:.

My 2080 Ti has a first-run serial and it's still running well about 5 months later. Has Micron GDDR6. I even got the balls to put a 500 MT/s overclock on the memory with AB :nailbiting:.
You're definitely rocking some seriously good silicon there mister! I wish everyone had the same luck.

Second try with Zotac 2080 Ti AMP...got it today...

...and just read from NVIDIA forums that somebodys new AMP died after 4 days this week :(

Not feeling very hopefull at the moment.

The 2080 Ti I got in November is still going strong, although it is an EVGA and not an FE. It's under water and boosts to over 2,100 along with a +500 memory OC. I've pushed memory to +650 at one point with no issues but I decided on +500 for everyday use.

Second try with Zotac 2080 Ti AMP...got it today...

...and just read from NVIDIA forums that somebodys new AMP died after 4 days this week :(

Not feeling very hopefull at the moment.

It's sad to hear that this is still happening. Hopefully it was a card from an initial batch that was sitting on a shelf. Nvidia should have sorted the problem by now, that's for sure.

I did my build this last weekend using 2x 2080 ti's. The only issue I have had so far is screen flickering when watching hardware accelerated video in Firefox. Not sure whats causing it, but disabling hardware accelerated video fixed it. I tried in other video players that also use hardware acceleration and didnt have any issues.

I have a buddy with a founders 2080 Ti that seems to behave differently than mine. Under full load with default fan curve, mine will eventually reach 84C or so before it throttles back a bit with the fan at 67%.

His card (launch day model) seems to hit 85C and the fans just goes nuts, to 100%. He thought it was perhaps a poor case ventilation issue so he just moved to a Meshify case and it's still going at it with plenty of cooling. Unfortunately I don't have direct access to test, but has anyone come across this? He feels like it started a couple of driver updates ago but was normal prior. It sounds like the clocks aren't adjusting properly.

My first 2080Ti would hit temps like that, even in an excessively ventilated case. There were more reports like this earlier on in the 2080Ti release cycle. I don't think it's the drivers, I think it's more related to the board itself failing. Sounds like he has a bad video card. I would Imagine it will start manifesting artifacts eventually under load. Haven't really seen anything like this in a while (aside from the few boards that space invader from time to time).

2070 xc ultra gaming from November still doing good even after my retarded ass spilled a cup of water on it (when it was off)

My first 2080Ti would hit temps like that, even in an excessively ventilated case. There were more reports like this earlier on in the 2080Ti release cycle. I don't think it's the drivers, I think it's more related to the board itself failing. Sounds like he has a bad video card. I would Imagine it will start manifesting artifacts eventually under load. Haven't really seen anything like this in a while (aside from the few boards that space invader from time to time).

Thanks!

The 2080 Ti I got in November is still going strong, although it is an EVGA and not an FE. It's under water and boosts to over 2,100 along with a +500 memory OC. I've pushed memory to +650 at one point with no issues but I decided on +500 for everyday use.

I got a FE and a zotac amp 2080TI and I put both on water blocks and they are oc'ed to the same level as yours ad they have been going strong since mid October. I think the cards are getting too hot or VRM's are too hot since all of us with waterblocks are not having cards fail.

I got a FE and a zotac amp 2080TI and I put both on water blocks and they are oc'ed to the same level as yours ad they have been going strong since mid October. I think the cards are getting too hot or VRM's are too hot since all of us with waterblocks are not having cards fail.

The issue with the card getting that hot to begin with, even on air, is a bad sign. Water block or no, the card should not be getting that hot. That's an issue that plagued some of us in the very beginning. Waterblocks are great and all, but if the card is overheating in standard usage there's an issue with the card itself. I have a 2080Ti (my third card) that I can run all day long without it ever ramping up the fans or generating a massive amount of heat. I can even max my overclock and it never gets that hot.

The issue with the card getting that hot to begin with, even on air, is a bad sign. Water block or no, the card should not be getting that hot. That's an issue that plagued some of us in the very beginning. Waterblocks are great and all, but if the card is overheating in standard usage there's an issue with the card itself. I have a 2080Ti (my third card) that I can run all day long without it ever ramping up the fans or generating a massive amount of heat. I can even max my overclock and it never gets that hot.
Yeah, They definitely should not be running this hot and not be reliable on their stock air coolers. I noticed that the heatsink contact was pretty bad on on the pads and green goo they are using on the FE card and the Zotac one seemed to have less contact in some areas, when I took off the stock coolers. I wonder what changed on your third card....

Yeah, They definitely should not be running this hot and not be reliable on their stock air coolers. I noticed that the heatsink contact was pretty bad on on the pads and green goo they are using on the FE card and the Zotac one seemed to have less contact in some areas, when I took off the stock coolers. I wonder what changed on your third card....
My guess... Jesus... I don't even want to say it... "Test Escapes" Quoting Nvidia. Both cards Artifacted badly, almost immediately and they both cooked. Third one has it's own bizarre ass issues... I'm just waiting, as patiently as I can, for it to space invader and then I'm sending it to Kyle ;)

My guess... Jesus... I don't even want to say it... "Test Escapes" Quoting Nvidia. Both cards Artifacted badly, almost immediately and they both cooked. Third one has it's own bizarre ass issues... I'm just waiting, as patiently as I can, for it to space invader and then I'm sending it to Kyle ;)

Oh Jeez, What bizarre issues? The issue I have is with video playback in chrome and having to turn off hardware acceleration

Oh Jeez, What bizarre issues? The issue I have is with video playback in chrome and having to turn off hardware acceleration
I've had the video hard lock my computer system once or twice, screen pixelation used to flicker here and there like on the other two cards. I have a suspicion that Nvidia is dialing in the drivers ever so slightly with each release that it attempts to mitigate these issues with work arounds so as not to draw attention to the core issues in flawed silicon. It's just a theory mind you, however, I've spent hundreds of hours testing the three cards. My gut keeps telling me something is amiss.

I don't trust my card, between screen blanking issues opening various windows on my PC to odd visual hangs here and there and video codecs no longer working as they had before on every other Nvidia video card.. then there's the fact that I drop in any other card and every damn issue I have seen disappears magically .

Something is wrong with this release (maybe not all the cards, but plenty of them exhibit issues) and others on here have mirrored many of my experiences.

So update on my friend's issue.. he had a fan going crazy.

The card hasn't failed, but Nvidia had him send a log from GPU-Z. Despite the temps and performance being normal, both fans read a max of 67% on default fan curve. Regardless, Fan 1 is pushing up to 5000 RPM off and on.

Nvidia is sending him a new 2080 Ti. So another failed card, another painless Nvidia RMA.

So update on my friend's issue.. he had a fan going crazy.

The card hasn't failed, but Nvidia had him send a log from GPU-Z. Despite the temps and performance being normal, both fans read a max of 67% on default fan curve. Regardless, Fan 1 is pushing up to 5000 RPM off and on.

Nvidia is sending him a new 2080 Ti. So another failed card, another painless Nvidia RMA.
Nvidia has exhibited really amazing customer support for card failures. Not all the other AIBs have though.

Happy they replaced his video card without a fuss. That's great news for him.

I'd like to report on some good news for once. My Asus 2080ti is still running since I got it back near end of October. I've been splitting time playing Monster Hunter World on my couch with my old gaming rig (a i7 920 @4ghz). It's back into a lesser gaming role after a few months of just crunching data on linux OS.

Installing Win 10 on that machine was a pain as the 1803/1809 updates aren't taking to it. Probably due to aging x58 and its lack of support.

Two weeks into running my two 2080 ti Founders Editions. The only issue I am having is that while they are connected via Nvlink, accelerated video makes my screen flicker. I noticed it at first when I would play video in Firefox, which by default has accelerated video on. If I turned off accelerated video in Firefox, the problem completely went away. I tested each card individually and didn't have any issues with hardware accelerated video on their own. Its only when they are connected via Nvlink. Another solution was to change a power setting in Nvidia Control Panel. I went into Manage 3d Settings and changed Power Management Mode from Optimal Power to Prefer Maximum performance. This kept the clocks of the memory and core at their rated speeds. Sitting idle, the top card would sit around 54c with that setting which is a little too warm for me so I changed it back and toggle it back to Maximum performance when I have a meeting (my companies meeting software uses hardware accelerated video and there's no option to disable it).

I don't think its a hardware issue. I'm pretty sure its driver related. I hope they fix it soon because its pretty annoying.

Last edited:
Installing Win 10 on that machine was a pain as the 1803/1809 updates aren't taking to it. Probably due to aging x58 and its lack of support.
I had a lot of problems updating to 1803 on my main machine. It wasn't a support problem, I have a pretty new CPU, just Windows being silly.

In the end, I just reinstalled Windows fresh and things have been working since then.

Two weeks into running my two 2080 ti Founders Editions. The only issue I am having is that while they are connected via Nvlink, accelerated video makes my screen flicker. I noticed it at first when I would play video in Firefox, which by default has accelerated video on. If I turned off accelerated video in Firefox, the problem completely went away. I tested each card individually and didn't have any issues with hardware accelerated video on their own. Its only when they are connected via Nvlink. Another solution was to change a power setting in Nvidia Control Panel. I went into Manage 3d Settings and changed Power Management Mode from Optimal Power to Prefer Maximum performance. This kept the clocks of the memory and core at their rated speeds. Sitting idle, the top card would sit around 54c with that setting which is a little too warm for me so I changed it back and toggle it back to Maximum performance when I have a meeting (my companies meeting software uses hardware accelerated video and there's no option to disable it).

I don't think its a hardware issue. I'm pretty sure its driver related. I hope they fix it soon because its pretty annoying.

I would just sell the second card, sli or crossfire is pretty much dead and neither company is putting effort into it, so your problems are likely to persist. Just not worth the headache anymore for the few occasions where it actually helps out.

I played with SLI as well and didn't do much of anything and introduced more windows related bugs and oddities than I care for (video thing seems to be broken on some browsers and 417 and up drivers).

I traced my 1803/1809 bug to a problem with virtualization on the x58 platform, it says to disable it for 18xx up win10. I will test this out tonight and see if I can go up the remaining 2 versions. The funny part is my old q6600 based system upgraded to windows 10 1809 perfectly as did my wife's old ms laptop running win 8.1

The x58 platform is an oddity.

I would just sell the second card, sli or crossfire is pretty much dead and neither company is putting effort into it, so your problems are likely to persist. Just not worth the headache anymore for the few occasions where it actually helps out.

Thats what I'm probably going to do. Single card performance is still REALLY good on my 3440x1440 display.

Back