Diablo IV - The Real Official Thread

In their defense....Do you guys really remember D2 or D2R? Hitting lvl100 took fooooorrreeeevvverrrr.

I think that the difference was in D2 you got interesting items along the way and made it fun.

In their defense....Do you guys really remember D2 or D2R? Hitting lvl100 took fooooorrreeeevvverrrr.

I think that the difference was in D2 you got interesting items along the way and made it fun.
It really didn’t. People were able to get it done in less than 24 hours. It just required a 4 man team and having all your gear ready to go. Which was a major advantage in D2, that you could simply have all your leveling gear and end game gear in your stash ready to go as you went.

Then simply run cows until your eyeballs fall out.

D2 at least made you feel like an end game god by the time you hit anywhere in the 80s. And that didn’t take long to do. The thing that really took all the time was random drops to get gear and trading. I did likely literally thousands of Meph runs and obviously more than my fair share of cow runs. Gear really was the narrow name of the game.

Rune word ethereal 2h weps. Windforce. Etc. there were things many players would never see legit copies of in 5000+ hours of play.

giphy.gif

Already got it near release, played it a bunch, got other things to do now.

Well that latest news has not helped D4 at all. PoE2 is going to destroy it once its released next year.

What news?
Probably the complaints about the yearly expansion announcement. Everyone complained about D3 not being live service and now complain about D4 being live service only because they didn't consider that they'd have to pay something extra for that service.

Aside from that, the game's population has seemingly disappeared. This is anecdotal but I have completed a ton of legion events by myself the last couple of weeks and see maybe two or three other people during helltides. Go sit in town and just watch. There just aren't very many people around anymore. Ultimately, this will lead to leadership changes and probably some significant changes to the game over the next few months at the very least as this is an awful beginning to their live service. Things aren't looking good for them in the long term for this game as it currently sits.

Probably the complaints about the yearly expansion announcement. Everyone complained about D3 not being live service and now complain about D4 being live service only because they didn't consider that they'd have to pay something extra for that service.

Aside from that, the game's population has seemingly disappeared. This is anecdotal but I have completed a ton of legion events by myself the last couple of weeks and see maybe two or three other people during helltides. Go sit in town and just watch. There just aren't very many people around anymore. Ultimately, this will lead to leadership changes and probably some significant changes to the game over the next few months at the very least as this is an awful beginning to their live service. Things aren't looking good for them in the long term for this game as it currently sits.

Its also how they aren't likely to bundle in any of the big fixes QOL stuff till these expansions. Really kinda sucks as like Diablo....but both pre season and during the season I tapped out around L70 because it was boring as hell.

If anyone is still active and wants to take over the [H] clan let me know lol.

There isn't really much to do function wise with the clan though

It's pretty much dead on Twitch at this point. This is after scrolling a couple pages down. For reference, PoE is currently at 15k viewers.

1694471257256.png

It's gonna drop below D3.
I checked wudijo's stream a few hours ago and he had 600 viewers. So he is half of those 1.1k.

Almost exactly like D3.

Anyway, Starfield is taking most of my time but I'm still enjoying D4 on occasion, I only just hit 60 on my seasonal character so maybe I just haven't played long enough to get angry. I've never really noticed a lot of other players so that doesn't really matter to me and I couldn't care less about the opinion of any streamer so I'm finding most of this "drama" pretty obnoxious. If you like it, awesome, play it. If not, great, go play something else. The constant whining and "oh look, streamer boy #437 doesn't like it, just like me." is pretty dumb.

Last edited:

View: https://youtu.be/2uEKI_u4eMQ?feature=shared

State of the game. It’s really telling. And basically all the things I’ve been saying all along have shown themselves to be true.

Diablo IV is a cynical trash grab from the higher ups at Activision. It was not given proper attention. There is no end game. And the community has had enough of it.
Even if you think this is me smearing Blizzard or D4, the numbers speak for themselves. The servers are dead. No one is watching D4 twitch content (more people watch D3 twitch content!!! Even 10 years on!). S1 was a failure (in terms of player numbers). S2 is a failure. All ”balance” patches were basically just nerfs. And none of the lessons from D3 were learned. In other words there was a systematic removing of “fun”.

Could D4 still end up being a good game? Sure. But I don’t think there is anyone left at Activision who can right the ship. And at Microsoft, studios just rot on the vine. All the most important talent from Blizzard has already left. There isn’t much hope there anymore. It would take a lot. And being frank I don’t think there is anyone at Blizzard currently that has the knowledge, leadership, and/or ability to get D4 into a “fun” playable state. Not that it would take a genius to do, just there isn’t anyone who cares and morale is likely at an all time low.

Though I’m sure some will “disagree” with me or whatever, D4 isn’t really a Diablo game. Blizzard isn’t Blizzard of old anymore. And even here on the [H] this game has fallen to page 3 and doesn’t have responses for a month+. Just though this video summarized the rise and fall of D4 quite succinctly. If you invested in D4, sorry.

The launch numbers really good, it got 9/10's and people were calling it a return to Diablo 2.
Just goes to show how you can't judge these types of games so quickly.

The launch numbers really good, it got 9/10's and people were calling it a return to Diablo 2.
Just goes to show how you can't judge these types of games so quickly.
People and reviewers were going off of what is essentially the tutorial (campaign levels). It was sad to watch.... It's the endgame that matters in this type of game. Heck, many pre-ordered off of the 25 level demo :ROFLMAO: at $100 a pop.

Last edited:
It definately has ended up worse than I thought it would. I figured I would get bored in less than a month based off the betas. Just having to back track a few times in dungeons up to level 20 got me to hold off buying it.

I knew things weren't good when a friend two weeks or so after launch mentioned he was having a hard time getting motivated to play. I think he ended up finishing the story line a couple of months back but he hasn't mentioned the game since.

God, don't remind me.

Blizz knows their marks well.

They already got me with the WoW expansion unfortunately so that helped curb my interest in D4.

The power of advertising.
Yes and.
It is a bit more than that. Really it comes down to using all the tools at Blizzard’s disposal.
Including things like having Blizzcon, developer previews, developer notes, videos throughout, and a hyper limited Beta. Then Blizzards other genius move is having a standard addition and a limited one. False scarcity, a battle pass, perks, etc all of these things psychologically drive sales. It’s a hype machine at every level. And this is not even discussing things like giving Youtubers background sneak peaks and having them hype the game, etc.

I know all of these tricks, and I’ll admit even for me it was tempting to believe that “hey, maybe this time will be different”. I managed to not pull the trigger though. Super glad I did not.
I played the beta and it was reasonably fun. But I learned all my lessons from D3 and the D3 beta.

The beginning of games is easy to build. End game is hard. And the D3 endgame was total trash in contrast to both 1/4 of A1 and the beginning. As a really seasoned 5000+ hour D3 player and likely 10k+ D2 player, I knew without seeing a well developed endgame that the game would be trash. It’s super telling that even the hardcore faithful diablo players aren’t playing. There is no endgame worth doing. And it’s so frustrating because Diablo 4 has the entire blueprint of D1, D2, and D3 behind it. Granted I recognize that they wanted to do something new, but fundamentally the endgame was always going to be clearing content to get stuff. And they couldn’t even make that basic principle feel rewarding.

Not to derail further, but the Alienware even this last weekend had me fire it up.... Holy hell I'm two entire acts behind!? And yeah, I hope D5 / PoE2 is the lovechild of D3 and PoE1.

Back