Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Is there a way to translate Inferno into the new system? Is the Inferno from May 2012 Torment III and the patched Inferno is T1?

So now that we've had 6 classes for a while, how does everyone rank them in terms of how fun they are to play (ignoring effectiveness as much as possible, admittedly it does play a role)

In order of awesomeness

#1 Monk. Dashing strike is so rewarding, 7 sided strike is so rewarding, Tail kick is so useful and cost effective. All 4 mantra's are now very useful. All 4 spirit generators are very useful. Tons of useful passives.

#2 Wizard. So many build types and always high damage. The new Magic weapon with shielding is insane for survivability. Currently enjoying a Fire blades and Fire nova build that is pretty awesome.

#3 Demon Hunter. Fast with pretty good damage and abilities and finally some heavy hitting abilities.

#4 Witch Doctor. I just don't like this class. But good class none the less with good damage and for normal runs the big acid drop is off the chain and fire bats is always a solid high end slaughter.

Tie #5 and #6 Barb and Crusader. They just don't have high enough survivability to justify their low damage. A monk with the same level of gear can do more damage while surviving better. Fury and Wrath regenerate far too slowly. The Crusader can drop some bombs but the cool down of those bomb reduces their effectiveness. The barbs Earthquake that stuns is pretty bad ass and useful for high end boss battles drop earthquake and you can resurrect anyone you want.

A good High damage team would be - 2 monks with damage and thorns mantra, Crusader with Attack speed law, and Wizard with Prodigy, fire hydra and meteor

A good High tank team would be - 2 monks Dodge armor + Lifegen allres mantra, Barb warcry, Crusader all res law. 20% armor, 20% all res, 20% all res, 120 allres. Mixing War Cry - Veteran's Warning 15% dodge + Monk Backlash is always solid too.

In order of awesomeness

#2 Wizard. So many build types and always high damage. The new Magic weapon with shielding is insane for survivability. Currently enjoying a Fire blades and Fire nova build that is pretty awesome.

You're not kidding about that magic weapon skill. I have about ~740K health, just shy of 20 million toughness buffed (when standing still for 1.5 sec!), and something like 18K healing and I don't even have to move on Torment 1 anymore. I just stand there spamming electrocute to keep the shield up and using my Wand of Woh to blow stuff up. Very rarely do I even see my health move (being frozen does tend to spoil the party).

I'm excited to keep finding better gear!

I did T6 Core runs during my lunch break today - 10 Legendary drops in one hour of play.

I know what I'm going to be doing until it's patched out.

-------
Start Campaign mode at the quest 'Kill Azmodan'
TP to the Core of Arreat
Run Through the map until you hit the checkpoint on the stairs just before the fight with Azmodan
Exit the game

Bump it up to T6 and run though the map backwards to the waypoint, opening every chest along the way.

Stack as much movement speed and toughness as you can manage. I ran this build on my Monk.

So this talk of Wizards makes me want to power level my level 30 wizard to 70. Any recommendations?

I would really like to do the same, my wizard is mid 20's however. Im not going to pay a power leveling service and sadly i dont know anyone. If you find someone let me know >.>

So now that we've had 6 classes for a while, how does everyone rank them in terms of how fun they are to play (ignoring effectiveness as much as possible, admittedly it does play a role),

I'll go with 'fun to play at 60' since I've only leveled two of these to 70. Some of these classes are fun to level up but get boring later when you need a more specific build (wizard/barbarian).

Witch Doctor - Chaotic, wacky and fun.
Crusader - A party powerhouse. Still new and interesting.
Demon Hunter - An active playstyle, but a lot of work for not a lot of gain.
Wizard - Lots of passive buffs on the active bar. Powerful but boring.
Monk - Slightly interesting melee.
Barbarian - Pretty damn boring.

If you're leveling a crusader, put a big topaz in that weapon. Kill things just by walking around.

So are the gems that drop post expansion the highest quality? They removed combining gems from this point on?

So are the gems that drop post expansion the highest quality? They removed combining gems from this point on?

No you can combine (craft) up to 3 tiers higher than what drops in game. Two higher tier gems drop during actual game play with the expansion.

No you can combine (craft) up to 3 tiers higher than what drops in game. Two higher tier gems drop during actual game play with the expansion.

ahh okay cool. I was just on some wiki and it listed Marquise as the highest possible. I thought that was odd.

Am I the only one that loves my Barbarian? Haha.

Boulder Toss is awesome.
I love mine too. But hella frustrating when friends who were previously under geared wizards out classing me so easily when my gear was close to the billion gold mark pre RoS.

While the game is SOOO much better than it used to be in terms of balance, they still have a ways to go. I hope we see a balance patch in the near future. Lots of numbers need tweaking.

Highest that drops, I believe, is Imperial. There's still Flawless Imperial, Royal, and Flawless Royal above that.

The bonuses above Imperial get pretty ridiculous, so you definitely want to combine still. Need dropped plans for Royal and Flawless Royal.

I only played for a few hours in the vanilla game and quit cause I felt the AH trivialized the entire game so I have no idea on the current state of the game. Which class has the most mobility (in-combat and out) and good survivabilty for HC? I don't really care about killing speed and I have a tendency to zone out when I play so I need something a bit forgiving so DH is out for me. I don't enjoy WD and I liked the Crusader except the horsey is his only mobility ability it seems like.

I only played for a few hours in the vanilla game and quit cause I felt the AH trivialized the entire game so I have no idea on the current state of the game. Which class has the most mobility (in-combat and out) and good survivabilty for HC? I don't really care about killing speed and I have a tendency to zone out when I play so I need something a bit forgiving so DH is out for me. I don't enjoy WD and I liked the Crusader except the horsey is his only mobility ability it seems like.

Monk.

Wizard could also work. There is an Arcane Bolt glyph to make it Cold and freeze enemies, there's teleport, passives that improve mobility and survivability, arcane power refills quickly, etc. You can call down a meteor and keep moving.

Anyone can be built for high mobility, honestly.

Barbs with sprint and WW can pass through most mobs.

Wizards have teleport.

WD have spirit walk.

DH with Vault.

Monks and a short range teleport that does mad damage, as well.

Max the sheet movespeed and pick up more through abilities and legendaries for even more!

In fact, after typing all this out, monk is probably your best bet. VERY tanky, decent DPS and great mobility; they are fun to play as well.

Monk.

Wizard could also work. There is an Arcane Bolt glyph to make it Cold and freeze enemies, there's teleport, passives that improve mobility and survivability, arcane power refills quickly, etc. You can call down a meteor and keep moving.

Is an elusive wizard a viable build? I really like the concept of Slow Time, Teleport, Mirror Image, and the Illusionist passive. Unstable Anamoly looks awesome for those times when I commit a derp.

Edit: two votes for monk and I do have a gimpy 60 HC monk collecting dust. Guess it wouldn't hurt to give him another try.

Last edited:
Teleport and Illusionist for sure. Test in a lower difficulty and then bump it up as needed. They aren't gimped or nerfed.

Is it just me or does Frozen Orb kick more ass than most other wizard abilities?

Arcane Orb - Scorch I'd say does more damage in the right situations. Frozen Orb is just easier to see the damage.

You should try this close combat wizard build.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WdfSjh!SieW!acccZc

This build is pretty good too. It should apply all 4 damage types.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UPTSjQ!YRSc!bZZcaZ

This build is sick as well.....Cannoneer does 240% damage which is just silly. 140% Lightning Base, 240% arcane Cannoneer, 5% crit PinPoint, 86% burn Ignite, Blizzard for cold, 15% glassCannon, 20% elemental exposure, 10% unwavering will, 10% cold blooded.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UlOSjQ!YRSW!bYZYcZ

I think Rakkis Crossing is just poorly designed. On single player, its fine. In mp, I get disappearing textures, vanishing models etc. On some plays I get frame drops (I play with 120hz lightboost) so it hurts to have it drop so much.

Thats what I see. This is the only area I see these issues. Everything else is great. I will try the sound when I get back home.

Arcane Orb - Scorch I'd say does more damage in the right situations. Frozen Orb is just easier to see the damage.

You should try this close combat wizard build.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#WdfSjh!SieW!acccZc

This build is pretty good too. It should apply all 4 damage types.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UPTSjQ!YRSc!bZZcaZ

This build is sick as well.....Cannoneer does 240% damage which is just silly. 140% Lightning Base, 240% arcane Cannoneer, 5% crit PinPoint, 86% burn Ignite, Blizzard for cold, 15% glassCannon, 20% elemental exposure, 10% unwavering will, 10% cold blooded.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#UlOSjQ!YRSW!bYZYcZ

wow these are cool; thanks for the ideas mate!

Anyone have a good build for 50-60 DH for doing bounties and rifts? Ive been doing bounties on my Wizard to level then the rifts on my DH for the higher level gem drops, i would like to just power level my wizard but cant find anyone

Glad to see I'm not the only one that finds Barbarian underpowered and boring. I'll probably work on leveling a Wizard next.

Nothing better then farming act 2 bounties since hitting 70 the first day, getting the gloves of worship a week later and they roll Dex and no crit chance, on my Wizard...the only class I play..

PERFECT SYSTEM

Glad to see I'm not the only one that finds Barbarian underpowered and boring. I'll probably work on leveling a Wizard next.

I refuse to play the flavor of the month. I have it at level 70 but its so ridiculously easy to play right now that I'm not going to bother. I'll stick with my barb for the eventual buff.

Plus I found one piece of Raekor's set tonight!

Nothing better then farming act 2 bounties since hitting 70 the first day, getting the gloves of worship a week later and they roll Dex and no crit chance, on my Wizard...the only class I play..

PERFECT SYSTEM

Not every single piece of loot you get will be adjusted to the class you play, they've stated this before. It's more like 80/20.

With the right gear Barb can still kick ass. Thing is why do we have to roll perfect gear just to be passable? When a Wiz can wear walmart special and laser his name on Diablo forehead

didnt play much before patch but I enjoy my barbie girl.
with passives and active I reach a lot of dps and watch others die a lot.
still wait to get gear set so one can diverse the build.

I refuse to play the flavor of the month. I have it at level 70 but its so ridiculously easy to play right now that I'm not going to bother. I'll stick with my barb for the eventual buff.

I do find Wiz pretty boring to play, what with so many passives on the active bar almost required on higher difficulties, but I can't get any damn gear for my Monk! :mad: I really like her gameplay so much better, but the system hates me. Stuck at 233k paper DPS and ~5M toughness, and I can't handle much more than expert smoothly.

Just did 5 horadric caches using my wizard with some fine people from HOCP last night, popped them with my Monk, and got nothing but a legendary ring that increases my block rate by 15%. I would save it for my Crusader but the primary stat is Dex!

So frustrating. At least I'm (slowly) leveling paragon, so it doesn't feel like a complete waste of time.

I'm loving adventure mode for leveling. I got real bored with my lvl 70 DH, so I switched to a lvl 5 wizard & jumped up to 25 after a few hours of going after bounties. :D

Seems I'm still trying to figure out which class I like the most. DH seems rather lackluster... :(

Back