Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Hey, is anyone running sli and having stuttering issues in only Act 3 Machines of War and Siegebreaker acts? Just curious.

Everything else plays flawless maxed out, but the Rakkis bridge gives me corruption issues. I think I have the newest nvidia drivers. Going to go look.
Does it even without sli too.

I don't use SLI but I do get massive lag/stutter there sometimes. Changing the sound channel options as some have suggested didn't help.

I only notice frame rate drops for rakkis bridge and only in 1 particular section when a barb is doing quakes. It only happens in mp, single player it plays flawless.

I wondered when blizzard made me download 51 gigs and then 49 more... The final install size 73 GB. That is nuts. My eso folder is only 30 GB. So I looked at the files and found they had given me all the VO and language files for all the release languages. Those removed folder size 14.7 GB. Some one needs to smack them up side the head for wasting bandwidth and hard drive space.

You must have done something to trigger the download, I have never had to download anything beyond the base 14.7gig install.

I don't use SLI but I do get massive lag/stutter there sometimes. Changing the sound channel options as some have suggested didn't help.

The sound suggestion helped me immensely. I still get some slowdown though. The game engine is ancient so it's to be expected.

I only notice frame rate drops for rakkis bridge and only in 1 particular section when a barb is doing quakes. It only happens in mp, single player it plays flawless.

Rakkis Crossing and one of the tile sets in Arreat Crater run like crap on my PC. I will try turning down the sound channels just so I don't have to deal with the bad FPS anymore if that helps. I already have shadows and a couple other things at lowered settings.

Rakkis Crossing running badly killed my first and only Hardcore character on the PS3 Diablo 3. Pretty disappointing it also runs like crap on my PC :eek:

I think Rakkis Crossing is just poorly designed. On single player, its fine. In mp, I get disappearing textures, vanishing models etc. On some plays I get frame drops (I play with 120hz lightboost) so it hurts to have it drop so much.

Diablo 3 just runs really weird in general. Like if I turn off vsync I might get 200+ fps, but it still looks like it's running at maybe 40fps (and I don't mean screen tearing.) Likewise when I'm running with vsync on, the frames counter will stay pegged at 60 but then every so often appear to chop, yet still show 60fps (this could be even just running through town, not necessarily fighting a bunch of stuff)

I think Rakkis Crossing is just poorly designed. On single player, its fine. In mp, I get disappearing textures, vanishing models etc. On some plays I get frame drops (I play with 120hz lightboost) so it hurts to have it drop so much.

Diablo 3 doesn't really have non-MP...it's all connected to the server anyway. I get lag regardless of whether or not I'm playing by myself.

Thanks. :) I guess I'll finally buy D3 since it sounds like it is a lot better than it was prior to the big patch.

Hugely viable, but somewhat gear dependent. It's an alt I'm trying to piece together over time too. My main is monk and to a lesser extent crusader. Also, welcome to d3.

Having a blast with my Barb. The more I play this game the more I like it! Playing my first time through and I keep trying alts, so I haven't gotten past the first act. Have a Monk and a Wizard, but I am liking the Barb the most. He seems just the right difficultly, and he fits my play style. The others are fun too though, that's the sign of a great game!

Now suddenly I am getting 5-10 second complete freezes randomly...what is going on with this game. :mad:

Now suddenly I am getting 5-10 second complete freezes randomly...what is going on with this game. :mad:

Hmmm That is very odd. I can actually mine while playing d3. So I mean the game doesnt take up much resource.

Have you maybe tried installing it on another HD? I mean im sure you have gone threw alot of troubleshooting by now.

Hmmm That is very odd. I can actually mine while playing d3. So I mean the game doesnt take up much resource.

Have you maybe tried installing it on another HD? I mean im sure you have gone threw alot of troubleshooting by now.

Well I haven't changed drivers, settings or anything since I started playing, and I never had these issues before RoS dropped. There was no patch that I know of, though, so I don't know what has changed. I tried dropping settings, including those audio settings people mentioned, and that doesn't seem to have fixed anything.

I remember someone else saying they were getting long freezes awhile back...not sure if/how they solved it.

Well I haven't changed drivers, settings or anything since I started playing, and I never had these issues before RoS dropped. There was no patch that I know of, though, so I don't know what has changed. I tried dropping settings, including those audio settings people mentioned, and that doesn't seem to have fixed anything.

I remember someone else saying they were getting long freezes awhile back...not sure if/how they solved it.

Yea I did notice there was new sound options. Just curious are you running the onboard HD5.1 sound? If so you could always up the driver.

Actually You are runnin the old Asus P6T. Which I use to own, which I know sucks totally ass for sound, and trying to update those drivers sucks.

Now if you are using the onboard sound (because I am not sure if you are). Try disabling the sound in game see if the stuttering goes away.

No, I am using a Sound Blaster Z. And like I said, none of the hardware or software or settings have changed since before and after RoS...I just didn't play for a day or two and when I came back it was all screwy. The stutter comes and goes but the latest freezing thing is bizzare...also one time after freezing a few times in a row the game itself just crashed entirely. I checked my GPU/CPU temps and nothing was out of the ordinary.

I was looking at your Barbarian. Is it better to use two weapons or a weapon/shield combo?

I have no idea. I haven't used my Barb in ages.

I can't use the mystic on my monk weapon because I accidentally clicked through on a secondary affix like a total bozo. Once you change one stat you can only change that one from then on.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Slade-1404/hero/19925585

My in-game toughness is actually 11.5 million, dmg is 407k dps and 18k regen.

My DH is is reading in-game as 5.8 mil tougnhess, 717k dps, and 20k regen.

I wish the profile matched the actual in game numbers. I also have a bow for the DH which guarantees pierces 2 times, which combined with hungering + devouring arrow is good for 3x hits. The crit portion causes the 2nd and 3rd hit to crit as high as 2-3 million damage. Damage output in most situations is amazing for use on elite packs and bosses as it also triples my regen during that spike.

Got my crusader to 70 after getting my wizard to 70. Time to find some gear and a build that works for the crusader. I never die but do 0 dmg. Take me forever to kill rift bosses by myself. I can aoe trash down super quick though.

Kinda frustrating when my friends who were completely under geared compared to me (wizard) and now outclasses my guy 10 fold (barb).

I picked the game back up with my Barbarian and completed the new areas on "normal" yesterday. I'm now tinkering with adventure mode and have cleared the first hub area.
They definitely seem to have bolstered the in-game loot quite a bit.

Random question - what is the general opinion of 2 weapons vs. a single 2-hander for Barbarians? On paper it seems like the 2-weapons should be better by the numbers, but in-game it doesn't usually work that way. Am I missing something?

I'm in favor of 2 weapons as you can double your life on hit which is a big boon for survival purposes in t2 and higher. In t2 I notice even with 1380 ar, 6300 armor, and 18000k regen, I still can meet elite packs with enough affixes to out do my regen. The argument for attack speed (or moves that increase hits) like tempest rush really ramp up the regen to counter the damage since with TR I can hit more enemies per attack.

This shows for my dh as well as I have a slow ass crossbow (575kdps) but guarantees 2 pierces which is 3x the attack, so I'm doing 1.7 x 3 per second which manifests itself as 55k regen and better regen/damage than an AOE spray of bones and 717k dps on a hand crossbow (2.4 attack, 20k regen).

Random question - what is the general opinion of 2 weapons vs. a single 2-hander for Barbarians? On paper it seems like the 2-weapons should be better by the numbers, but in-game it doesn't usually work that way. Am I missing something?

Dual wield because you get 2 sockets.

Technically - the best you can find. No reason not to use a 2 hander if you find an amazing one. But it's much easier to get better dps from dual wielding because of the sockets. Finding a rare with str and rerolling another stat for a socket or vice versa is very easy.

Just got every class to 70 over the weekend. My DH and Wizard are the only two that can efficiently do torment. My DH is by far the best geared ... and the Wizard is, well, a Wizard. Time to slowly gear everyone up. I'm a bit undecided on whether or not I like the Crusader. The horse is kind of a novelty escape/run skill. The cooldown is a bit high I think - and it gets stuck in places. I'm a bit torn because it seems like going ranged is a better option.

Not sure if I want to invest a lot of time on HC for a little while at least. Still at 62 there.

Got my crusader to 70 after getting my wizard to 70. Time to find some gear and a build that works for the crusader. I never die but do 0 dmg. Take me forever to kill rift bosses by myself. I can aoe trash down super quick though.

Get the Justice rune that makes everything a crit and the law rune that makes all your crits do 100% bonus damage. Add the taunt that adds 50% lightning damage to all attacks. The explosion ability with the instant-explode rune. Hit all that shit at the same time. Add a wrath spender of choice.

If your DH is the torment runner, you can also get gear with dex for the monk from there. I'm gearing up my wiz and barb but my funds have vanished due to respeccing gear and gems.

While diablo 3 is all server, addtional clients connected and synced to your screen creates inconsistencies when flooded with characters attacking/dying/moving all in sync. At this point in Rakkis crossing, my screen drops significantly in frame rate (sub 40's, occasional 5fps spikes).

Effects that really wreck the fps is the barb's earthquake attack.

I suspect network issues syncing all clients along with too much "data" to coordinate between a flood of enemies is problematic for the server. In single player it plays with dips to 80-100 fps in that area for me but no major 5fps spikes noted.

Well... I didn't bother with RoS expansion yet, just tried Act3 on Master difficulty with my old wizard. I kinda like the new loot 2.0 - got 3 legendaries in just a couple hours of play and replaced almost all of my gear with better rares.

What builds are you guys doing for Monks? This is what I'm trying so far. I screwed up royally and got stuck with a 41% Deadly Strike buff on my weapon.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Skyvalley-1789/hero/38266334

Here is what I have found to be best....for me style anyways.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/dirkdirden-1579/hero/10075786

Dashing Strike all too good dash in and out of danger and makes you move though the game at a ridiculous pace.

Back when you had live steal 2-hander was actually better in my opinion. The removal of Life Steal created a reliance of life on hit which heavily favors the 1 handed now. There are still a couple of builds they can be good for....but in order for it to be "better" then a 1-hander you'd need a really bad ass 2-hander. Monks Super spirit regen builds are still pretty good with a 2-hander but the nerf on Wave of Light reduced this pretty significantly.

General rule of thumb only use 2 hander if the game drops you a 2-hander you can't not use.

_______________________________ General thoughts.

Loot drops are pretty low and its too hard to imbue set and legendary items because of the requirement of Lost Souls....which are too rare.
The design is very gold heavy and likely designed to drain the gold from the game. I'm guess the prices of a lot of this stuff will be reduce after a ladder.
Adventure mode is really great. You can do everything you need in 1 game. Kill all 5 bosses, Kill all key wardens, Kill ubers, and have a disco party in all 5 towns.
Hell Fire ring's ability is pretty awesome. Though the ring quality is about the same. If you can all keys and old machines use those up as they are almost just as good.
The Crusader does quite work yet. He lacks enough tackiness to make the low damage output worth it. Sure he can tank anything in T1 but once you bump it up to around T3 he can no longer tank and can't do damage. I think the Crusader shields need a buff to make up for this.

Not worth 40 bucks if 40 bucks is a lot of money to you. But still very good addition to the game.....But also not as good as LoD was to D2.

Last edited:
Why does the drop loot suck when you go up from lower? wasnt it supposed to scale up to reward more or so? for me i can play torment 1 or 3 or whatever and still i get like maybe 1 legendary after one or 2 hours gameplay killing many elite packs etc.. whats the point then.

So now that we've had 6 classes for a while, how does everyone rank them in terms of how fun they are to play (ignoring effectiveness as much as possible, admittedly it does play a role),

I tend to flip around builds quite a bit, even at 70, rather than going all in and optimizing for a certain specific build. Although I'm sure if I found a truly epic piece of gear that forced my hand, I would do so. I'm not a bit fan of abilities like the Hydra or Sentry.

From most fun to least:

Wizard - Great flexibility, lots of effective fun builds (in the last 3 days have used a critical blades build, ice build, and now an arcane pack after finding a couple of + to disintegration items, multi-damage type builds now look viable with the new passives).

Barbarian - Whirlwind builds can be a little monotonous, but the active skills seem the most engaged of the melee based classes.

Demon Hunter - Lots of offense, lots of running around.

Monk - Expected to like it more than I do, haven't pushed one to 70 yet. Not a fan of attacks that take control out of your hands like seven-sided strike.

Crusader - Slow going, there is good flavor to the abilities - but like others have mentioned it seems like you spend 95% of the time just using your main and secondary attacks while waiting for the others to cooldown.

Witch Doctor - Think I maxed out at around level 40, couldn't get over how terrible all the primary attacks are. Maybe I'll try and push through some adventure mode, see if it ever gets better. (given how rare it is to see one around, I'm thinking not much).

Why does the drop loot suck when you go up from lower? wasnt it supposed to scale up to reward more or so? for me i can play torment 1 or 3 or whatever and still i get like maybe 1 legendary after one or 2 hours gameplay killing many elite packs etc.. whats the point then.

Killing elites/mobs is very un-rewarding as far as loot drops go and the xp gain has slowed to a crawl as well. I get just as many items breaking stuff and opening chests. Not sure what they were thinking on that one?

So now that we've had 6 classes for a while, how does everyone rank them in terms of how fun they are to play (ignoring effectiveness as much as possible, admittedly it does play a role),

I tend to flip around builds quite a bit, even at 70, rather than going all in and optimizing for a certain specific build. Although I'm sure if I found a truly epic piece of gear that forced my hand, I would do so. I'm not a bit fan of abilities like the Hydra or Sentry.

From most fun to least:

Wizard - Great flexibility, lots of effective fun builds (in the last 3 days have used a critical blades build, ice build, and now an arcane pack after finding a couple of + to disintegration items, multi-damage type builds now look viable with the new passives).

Barbarian - Whirlwind builds can be a little monotonous, but the active skills seem the most engaged of the melee based classes.

Demon Hunter - Lots of offense, lots of running around.

Monk - Expected to like it more than I do, haven't pushed one to 70 yet. Not a fan of attacks that take control out of your hands like seven-sided strike.

Crusader - Slow going, there is good flavor to the abilities - but like others have mentioned it seems like you spend 95% of the time just using your main and secondary attacks while waiting for the others to cooldown.

Witch Doctor - Think I maxed out at around level 40, couldn't get over how terrible all the primary attacks are. Maybe I'll try and push through some adventure mode, see if it ever gets better. (given how rare it is to see one around, I'm thinking not much).

I really dislike most of the WD skills honestly. Maybe WD is just not my style. I've settled with Acid Cloud with the 24 yard rune. I hate zombie bears with a passion. I'm not a huge fan of the left clicks that just spawn something... feels like it's out of my control.

Wizard is insanely strong. Within 30 minutes of hitting 70, my Wizard was rolling through Torment. Took almost no effort to get to that point. My DH has significantly better gear but is still weaker. I like my DH the most overall - he's my original character. A lot of it really comes down to resource management and how Wizard gets a pass on that essentially. Most DHs load up on tumble, left click, cluster arrow - and the rest of the active/passive skills are geared towards some sort of hatred management to be able to use cluster arrow. The rest of DH's skills are horrible when compared to the Wizard counterparts.

Of the melee classes, I prefer Monk. I can't really settle on a Barbarian build that I like.

I don't consider my crusader to be melee. Flinging out Justice and Hammers... It's OK I suppose. Bombardment is a worse version of Meteor. Not sure how Blizzard can't do math on some skills. It's an ongoing trend with a lot of skills - the math just doesn't make sense.

Haven't been to H in a while. Just wanted to drop in to say I'm really enjoying the expansion so far. Haven't put too much time in, just got my DH to 70. I'm excited to dive into Adventure mode and all that. Thinking I'll level a crusader at some point and bring my wizard to 70. Not sure if I'll bother bringing my Barbarian to 70. Maybe.

Overall, though. I'm really enjoying this game again.

Back