Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Getting trifecta gear is pretty easy in RoS with the help of the mystic.
In the 2 weeks I was in the beta I had decent trifecta Amulet, Gloves, and Rings. The problem is with the 4/2 affix system....you can't have trifecta with Mainstat and Vit or resist all.

Unless your a Monk. Then you get to have the best of both worlds as single resits roll as a secondary affix.

This is where they really fucked items in this patch. It's stupid that the best gear now can't be as good as it could have been before.

This is where they really fucked items in this patch. It's stupid that the best gear now can't be as good as it could have been before.

I suppose another way to look at the 4/2 system is to consider that, with enough paragon points, we can now supplement a number primary, resource, and utility affixes including the big 3.

The Mystic's ability to re-roll one (but only one, apparently) affix per item should be interesting as well, if nothing else. Crafting has certainly been as frustrating under the 4/2 system, especially since many items are almost what I want except for an affix here or there.

I really don't think closing the AH was necessary with account bound legendaries. I would have preferred the RMAH be brought down and the gold AH remain up. It was mostly a diplomatic move by Blizzard rather than a functional one.

Well on my Master run through all the acts I generally only found crap again. Only got 1 Legendary from Diablo (I did reset quests), which was pretty "meh". I wonder if I will ever find any 1 handed weapons that can replace my Skorn :(. (It adds about 235% to crit damage by itself, so that's kind of a huge factor)

Dang i forgot to buy tons of gems before they close AH so i could try craft some more and now its closed :( wtf... this sucks stupid crap what am i gonna do with all gold then????? F U blizzard

I don't even understand how this could be a problem for you. Closing the AH was announced at least 6 months ago, has appeared on the front page of hardocp at least twice, has been a notification on the bnet launcher for at least a week, as well as a message in-game on the main menu, and has been mentioned at least once on just about every gaming related website out there. You would have needed to actively go out of your way to avoid this information.

Besides, buying current gems on the AH would have been silly anyway if you were going to get the expansion since they'd be obsolete in a week anyway. Plus you have the mystic to spend gold on.

Can someone enlighten me about the Mystic? So If i crafted a legendary now with the 2.0 specs. Would I be able to re-roll this once RoS is out? For what I've read, only things you can't re-roll are the legacy items. Am I getting the right info here?

Well on my Master run through all the acts I generally only found crap again. Only got 1 Legendary from Diablo (I did reset quests), which was pretty "meh". I wonder if I will ever find any 1 handed weapons that can replace my Skorn :(. (It adds about 235% to crit damage by itself, so that's kind of a huge factor)

Yea the game REALLY needs a way to add sockets to items. A weapon without a socket is pretty fuckin worthless.

I've never seen a full run without 4+ legs since the patch. Are you playing solo? Skipping most of the mobs?

Considering that Skorn was unparalleled when it came to raw damage under loot 1.0 (min, max, dmg%, huge crit damage, huge bleed damage, +main stat, +socket, +random property), it's very unlikely that you're going to replace it at lvl 60 unless you find a legendary that promotes a different style of play. I actually just swapped out the Skorn on my WD for a Starmetal Kukri I found because of its crazy synergy with Fetish Army and Fetish Sycophants. I lost a ton of sheet DPS as well as about 1800 LoH, but the build is nuts so it works. Without that particular legendary affix there's no way I would have dropped my Skorn for a regular 1-hander.

Yea the game REALLY needs a way to add sockets to items. A weapon without a socket is pretty fuckin worthless.

Wait a week: the Mystic is able to re-roll a property on each item (sockets count as one random property; you can re-roll that same property multiple times).

WYNUVF55RWZK1382458927793.jpg

I miss the old socket mechanics of D2. Up to 4 sockets in a 1 hander was pretty awesome. Oh and runewords...

I miss the old socket mechanics of D2. Up to 4 sockets in a 1 hander was pretty awesome. Oh and runewords...

Crystal Swords could have up to 6
http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/items/normal/swords.shtml

Also, critical hit damage is only overpowered because it's easy to get high amounts of crit chance. Although from playing a bit of 2.0 it doesn't look like they've really toned it down much. That's a bit understandable though because several abilities require critical hits to function.

Bracers/Gloves/Helm: 6%
Neck/Offhands: 10%
Legendary belts/weapons ~ 2%

Though it looks like they did tone down inherent critical hit damage on weapons - largest I've seen is 33%. Nothing compared to the 200% you could get on a skorn.

I've never seen a full run without 4+ legs since the patch. Are you playing solo? Skipping most of the mobs?

I said for Diablo, as in the last boss :p. I got a few legendaries, mostly crap and one ring for a crusader lol.

I guess I'll stick with my Skorn and look for other gear that helps. I really want to go with dual wielding one handed weapons, but they all kill DPS and my critical damage.

Man I'm trying a Monk for the first time from playing as a DH since launch and holy shit there's so much more survivability it's not even funny. :(

Man I'm trying a Monk for the first time from playing as a DH since launch and holy shit there's so much more survivability it's not even funny. :(

It'd be okay if they had to sacrifice damage to do so, but not so much lol. I guess they haven't taken out the 30% reduction to damage for melee characters?

It'd be okay if they had to sacrifice damage to do so, but not so much lol. I guess they haven't taken out the 30% reduction to damage for melee characters?

Nope, and crusader doesn't get the 30% damage reduction either. Only monk and barb get it. Of course it looks like the crusader is always going to be using a shield, so they're getting extra damage mitigation anyway that'll likely end up comparable to the wizard.

The DH still has diddly squat for mitigation compared to every other class in the game, and doesn't have a matching increase in DPS to make up for the survivability issues, and isn't getting any new skills from 61-70 to help.

So I never really got around to playing D3 much until now.. is it normally this easy to play solo on Expert with a barb? I'm digging into act 3 and stuff is basically not scratching me, I use a pot like once every 45 minutes. I'm not using a healing companion either, just the enchantress set up for damage output. All my healing comes from regen items, or Revenge with the healing rune.

I have to say, playing D3 with my v-moda crossfade's on the SBZ is such an auditory experience.. down in the sewers the footsteps in the water and all the ambient sounds are so well done... voices are so clear and crisp and strong.. I can't even play it now without my headphones. :eek:

So I never really got around to playing D3 much until now.. is it normally this easy to play solo on Expert with a barb? I'm digging into act 3 and stuff is basically not scratching me, I use a pot like once every 45 minutes. I'm not using a healing companion either, just the enchantress set up for damage output. All my healing comes from regen items, or Revenge with the healing rune.

Raise the difficulty again :)

Finally got an upgrade...legendary chest piece that makes you do 100% crits when your health is below 22%. My base DPS is right around 100k now.

Can someone enlighten me about the Mystic? So If i crafted a legendary now with the 2.0 specs. Would I be able to re-roll this once RoS is out? For what I've read, only things you can't re-roll are the legacy items. Am I getting the right info here?

yes all new items dropping/crafted with recent patch will be able to re-roll.

I said for Diablo, as in the last boss :p. I got a few legendaries, mostly crap and one ring for a crusader lol.

I guess I'll stick with my Skorn and look for other gear that helps. I really want to go with dual wielding one handed weapons, but they all kill DPS and my critical damage.

I didn't realize we were to the point of people complaining about "only" one legendary dropping from a boss. :p

What I kinda don't understand about the current design is why drops don't get better as difficulty increases. I decided to reset quests and do a complete run through of the game on Torment 2 last week (I play HC so I'm slowly seeing what my characters can handle). I got a few legendaries along the way - mostly junk without legendary affixes - and my final reward once I killed Diablo was...a goddamned Sledge of Athskeleng with like 1070 DPS. :mad:

At least I got some decent experience along the way because it was basically a waste of time items-wise. So last night I jump on and play for like 30 minutes on normal difficulty and find a kickass Unity ring (288 dex, 5% cc, 15% elite dmg, 311 LoH, 4600 globe bonus) off Mahgda right away, some St. Archew's Gage gloves shortly after, a ton of diamonds off goblins, etc. And I killed pretty much everything with Tempest Rush.

The Torment-only legendaries in RoS will certainly be a good thing since players should have incentive to run more difficult content beyond more experience.

With the Crusader able to wield a 2H weapon and a shield, they need to buff the Barbarian so that he can wield 2 x 2H weapons.

Blizzard put up a new trailer "The End is Near" for the Reaper of Souls release next week. Very nice.

Contains possible SPOILER. (Shows a few short scenes of the final boss fight)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juT-1ew-ffc

:eek: @ 1:10! That looks fantastic!

Also, LOL at the snippet (like <00:01 of footage) of the final boss battle: it looks like a different-colored Diablo boss room with a new dude to fight. How creative!

I think Blizzard should spin off a cinematics group that does nothing but make CGI video films. They are simply fantastic at it, and always have been.

Anyone read any of the books they've released (Book of Cain, Book of Tyreal)? Looking at them on amazon "take a peak inside", they look pretty neat. I usually dig that kind of lore and artwork with a series I'm into, but the story in Diablo has always been rather "meh". Any opinions from folks who bought them?

yes all new items dropping/crafted with recent patch will be able to re-roll.

dammit.. I salvage one of the sage hand I had cuz it was a downgrade :( I guess time to farm more mats. I'll be using my Gold for this re-roll feature till my weapon would have socket :D

dammit.. I salvage one of the sage hand I had cuz it was a downgrade :( I guess time to farm more mats. I'll be using my Gold for this re-roll feature till my weapon would have socket :D

Not much point burning cash on a level 60 item anyway though.

:eek: @ 1:10! That looks fantastic!

Also, LOL at the snippet (like <00:01 of footage) of the final boss battle: it looks like a different-colored Diablo boss room with a new dude to fight. How creative!

I wasn't really expecting something vastly different from the earlier bosses in the previous acts. (Each one is mostly set in one large room and usually is about outlasting the boss and surviving the damage. Diablo 3 was never about really complicated boss fights, and it works for this game IMHO) However, it may be a multi-stage fight like the one against Belial.

Other than that, the environment looks great and definitely got me pumped for the final showdown.

With the Crusader able to wield a 2H weapon and a shield, they need to buff the Barbarian so that he can wield 2 x 2H weapons.

Crusader gets that as a passive that includes a 15% movement speed penalty. Great for damage, as long as you don't mind moving at a snail's pace. Barbs get 2h weapons in 1h without having to use a passive for it, on top of the barb still getting a 30% damage reduction that the crusader doesn't. I don't see why barbs would need such a buff.

Last edited:
Crusader gets that as a passive that includes a 15% movement speed penalty. Great for damage, as long as you don't mind moving at a snail's pace. Barbs get 2h weapons in 1h without having to use a passive for it, on top of the barb still getting a 30% damage reduction that the crusader doesn't. I don't see why barbs would need such a buff.

I wouldn't call it snail's pace. I think paragon + items can easily make up for it. It's still a tradeoff (since you can invest the paragon points/items in other things) but those other stats would have likely been invested in dmg anyway.

I wouldn't call it snail's pace. I think paragon + items can easily make up for it. It's still a tradeoff (since you can invest the paragon points/items in other things) but those other stats would have likely been invested in dmg anyway.

I wouldn't call it "easily" since you're only going to be making up for that if you're near the soft cap(paragon 800) or you're willing to give up the other core stats in place of movement speed (strength, vitality, resource), and going for movement speed on items means giving up damage mitigation or dps for it to have the movement speed attribute. That 15% penalty is pretty significant because of that, especially if you consider that lowering your movement speed means you're taking more damage from crap on the ground, and increasing the time it takes to get to mobs(waller, desecrator, molten, arcane enchanted, poison enchanted, vortex, wormhole, frozen, fast, all become slightly more annoying to deal with).

No, paragon points don't go over the movement speed cap, so it won't matter that you have Inna's pants, runspeed boots, and 50 paragon points into movement speed: you'll still only have 10% movement speed because Heavenly Strength reduces your maximum movement speed, not your current movement speed -15%.

No, paragon points don't go over the movement speed cap, so it won't matter that you have Inna's pants, runspeed boots, and 50 paragon points into movement speed: you'll still only have 10% movement speed because Heavenly Strength reduces your maximum movement speed, not your current movement speed -15%.

I was under the impression that it didn't go over 25% as a net, not a gross.

Anyone read any of the books they've released (Book of Cain, Book of Tyreal)? Looking at them on amazon "take a peak inside", they look pretty neat. I usually dig that kind of lore and artwork with a series I'm into, but the story in Diablo has always been rather "meh". Any opinions from folks who bought them?

I have both books and I like them both. The quality of the book (paper, binding, printing, etc) is quite good considering most of the time things like these aren't that great.

As far as content goes, there is a pretty good amount of backstory in it, I believe the book of Cain has more "story" content than the book of Tyrael (part of which is an encyclopedia-like compendium). However both are good reads in my opinion. I particularly liked the section about the creation of the world of Sanctuary as well as the retelling of the events of the first 2 Diablo games.

One other kind of neat thing I found was that the books are a fun source of lore-relevant character names :).

They're both pretty cheap on Amazon I would recommend picking them up if you are a fan of Diablo series. If you are into that kind of thing, I would recommend these over say the strategy guide since the guide goes out of date with patches but the lore stays valid. Also the physical quality of the books are better than the guide.

Ruahrc

just note that the dps scale to your level, so if you have a lev 60 weapon wait until your lev 70 or such before adding dmg change with mystic.

Back