Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

I have both books and I like them both. The quality of the book (paper, binding, printing, etc) is quite good considering most of the time things like these aren't that great.

As far as content goes, there is a pretty good amount of backstory in it, I believe the book of Cain has more "story" content than the book of Tyrael (part of which is an encyclopedia-like compendium). However both are good reads in my opinion. I particularly liked the section about the creation of the world of Sanctuary as well as the retelling of the events of the first 2 Diablo games.

One other kind of neat thing I found was that the books are a fun source of lore-relevant character names :).

They're both pretty cheap on Amazon I would recommend picking them up if you are a fan of Diablo series. If you are into that kind of thing, I would recommend these over say the strategy guide since the guide goes out of date with patches but the lore stays valid. Also the physical quality of the books are better than the guide.

Ruahrc

Great review, thanks. I'll probably pick them up then. I did snag the CE guide for the first one for the art and binding quality (I like my strat guides to be 1. on paper, and 2. hard bound, if possible), but as you say, large parts of it are now out of date. Check that...almost all of it.

I've been a huge fan of Diablo ever since I saw the pre-release posters for the first Diablo at my local Electronics Boutique (RIP). It's consistently been the one series of games (other than Starcraft) I end up spending hundreds of hours on.

If you go back a few pages some people had linked to their demon hunters and I'd use that as a good starting point. You can really just do what feels best on the skills but some of the most popular ones I've seen are cluster arrow - loaded for bear and rain of arrows is another popular one. I always have tumble in my build for movement and companion is useful for some buffs and possibly extra damage/tank.

As for gems, in weapons it's either ruby or emerald. If you have crit change above like 10% I think emerald out does ruby in DPS. Everything else it's either emerald or diamond, depending if you need survivability or damage.

Got my demon hunter to 60.

Gonna follow http://diablo.somepage.com/popular/demon-hunter#builds but the site doesn't say where to put your skill points.

So anyone have any idea? Also, which gems to use? Thanks.

It depends of your stuff and survivability.

The actual best hatred generator is entangled shot with justice is served rune: 6 hatred + good with cull the weak passiv.
In terms of spender, cluster arrow loaded for bear/or cluster bomb is one of the best way to go.
Rain of vengeance is fine, but it has 30s CD + stationary damage (except for the first rune, but it deals meh).
You need to pick a compagnon because the effects are now good. I would advise you to take the boar for the survival bonus + 5s taunt against elites, which is great for both you and your team.
For the survival part, that's on your call: I don't use SS since it cost too much discipline for poor effect, I prefer vault with the tumble rune.
You can pick preparation if you struggle in terms of discipline regeneration.

Take a look at my profile if you want: Lylli#2390

I've been playing HC lately after 6+ months off, I'm having so much fun I pre-ordered RoS , mainly so I can get the wings cause I think they look awesome but I'm interested in the Crusader. I'm playing my first barb ever, even going back to D2 I never played a barb and I'm enjoying it. Still tweaking skills and trying to find the best combo but I'm glad i'm back.

I think Cull the Weak has bad synergy with Entangling Shot. Entangling Shot only applies a 2 second slow to enemies, you don't have a high up-time when switching over to your Hate spender to lay on the damage.

I am rolling with Rapid Fire-Bombardment for a spender while standing in Caltrops-Bait the Trap for a 10% crit boost. I use Brooding as a Passive as well, so when stuff gets close I usually just face tank it while dropping and endless stream of AOE Grenades on everything around me.

When that gets hairy I use Tumble (or whatever it is called) to get out.

you guys have me cracking up at work. I accidentally posted a graduate homework assignment I worked on by mistake. Thanks for the laugh :D

Got my demon hunter to 60.

Gonna follow http://diablo.somepage.com/popular/demon-hunter#builds but the site doesn't say where to put your skill points.

So anyone have any idea? Also, which gems to use? Thanks.

For gem's I'd use emeralds in gear unless you're really really low in health or all resists. For the weapon, as mentioned, it depends on your CC% whether to use a Ruby or Emerald.

For Paragon points here's what I do, it'll probably vary a little based on your gear vs mine...

Core: Dex until maxed, if you have 24% movement speed I'd put 2 points in that to get the max 25%
Offense: I add to Crit Damage since I have pretty high CC%. On characters where my CC% is lower (like below 20%) I usually add to whatever raises my DPS higher, usually Attack speed
Defense: AR, maybe Life regen if you don't have much of that or if you have tons of AR already. DH probably isn't going to have that "issue" but on my Wizard I split between AR and Life regen
Utility: Life on Hit, I play 99.999% Hardcore characters so I add all my points here. If you don't need it I'd go Area damage (Read a thread on the D3 forums that this might work well with Frost Arrow) or Resource cost reduction. I'm only Paragon level 64 so I don't feel like I have enough points to make Resource cost reduction worth it.

That is graduate level work? - Anyways just play D3 for a bit and it'll flow for ya.

Not really, its busy work for an online grad class on top of 25 page papers that are heavily geared towards research oriented work.

I plan on just playing and trying the new things. Thanks

Just switched to fire spec last night on my mage. I'd finally got enough items to drop my old set and put on my new gear. Ended up with about 20k more dps, but my toughness went from like 200k to 600k. Also got this crazy defense ring which increases you life per second based on how much health you're missing. Very cool stuff!

The one annoying thing is that my DPS is increased a lot right now through attack speed, yet my current build doesn't really use attack speed. What's a cool AS mage build you guys have found?

Just switched to fire spec last night on my mage. I'd finally got enough items to drop my old set and put on my new gear. Ended up with about 20k more dps, but my toughness went from like 200k to 600k. Also got this crazy defense ring which increases you life per second based on how much health you're missing. Very cool stuff!

The one annoying thing is that my DPS is increased a lot right now through attack speed, yet my current build doesn't really use attack speed. What's a cool AS mage build you guys have found?

lol, I just got that ring (Rogar's Huge Stone) last night myself while playing my hardcore monk. Only issue with it is no main or offensive stat.

Not sure what you mean, EVERY build gets better with IAS.

It goes into the calculation for DPS. Which is why pushing higher up in the DPS range is still a difficult thing to do relying on the RNG gear finding.

Not sure what you mean, EVERY build gets better with IAS.

It goes into the calculation for DPS. Which is why pushing higher up in the DPS range is still a difficult thing to do relying on the RNG gear finding.

Well I'm using Meteor so i dump all my AP really quickly. Do increases to your DPS from AS increase your abilities damage range?

Well I'm using Meteor so i dump all my AP really quickly. Do increases to your DPS from AS increase your abilities damage range?

Sounds like we have the same basic build. Build up your Archon 110-120 if possible and put more points towards resource cost reduction or reduced cool down affixes. A good balance of crit chance/damage will help those meteorites hit as hard as possible. Attack speed gives you the least amount of gain in that respect.

It doesn't. AS is not that great for Wizards. Crit + Crit Dmg scaling is superior for raw DPS anyway.

Okay, yea that's what i was thinking. It's a shame because i have like 31% IAS atm, severely inflating my DPS.

What wizard moves benefit most from attack speed?

Okay, yea that's what i was thinking. It's a shame because i have like 31% IAS atm, severely inflating my DPS.

What wizard moves benefit most from attack speed?

you could build a stun type wizard. One of the Familars has a chance to freeze on hit and the lighting passive has a chance to stun on hit. Mix that with life on hit and you have a wizard that takes advantage of high attack speed. You can also use the Passive that gives you 4 arcane per attack with a basic attack that benefits pretty heavily from fast attack speed.

you could build a stun type wizard. One of the Familars has a chance to freeze on hit and the lighting passive has a chance to stun on hit. Mix that with life on hit and you have a wizard that takes advantage of high attack speed. You can also use the Passive that gives you 4 arcane per attack with a basic attack that benefits pretty heavily from fast attack speed.

Thanks for the tips! I'll play around with these tonight.

So, it seems like the monk has the most hilarious stun abilities. That Bell is borderline OP tbh.

Tried to preorder RoS from Blizzard and got an error 500 and a pending charge on my credit card but no order confirmation. Looking on their forums it seems I'm not the only one. Some people claiming to have multiple charges and having their bank calling them asking WTF.

I got a ticket submitted and its probably just a temp charge on my CC but come on Blizz get your shit together.

Tried to preorder RoS from Blizzard and got an error 500 and a pending charge on my credit card but no order confirmation. Looking on their forums it seems I'm not the only one. Some people claiming to have multiple charges and having their bank calling them asking WTF.

I got a ticket submitted and its probably just a temp charge on my CC but come on Blizz get your shit together.

Yep, happened to me lastnight. But its my fault. I got the server 500 error, checked my account, no ROS applied, so I went through check out again using paypal instead. Same error. Go play game instead for a bit...check my email and I have 3x paypal hits from blizzard, and 2 on my CC, and 1 receipt from blizzard.

Called paypal, they canceled 2 of the 3 no problem. The credit card folks can't do anything until the charge moves from pending to applied...apparently. Would have preferred to go through blizzard, but their customer service hours are from like 08:00 to 08:05...with a 90 minute wait time.

Yep, happened to me lastnight. But its my fault. I got the server 500 error, checked my account, no ROS applied, so I went through check out again using paypal instead. Same error. Go play game instead for a bit...check my email and I have 3x paypal hits from blizzard, and 2 on my CC, and 1 receipt from blizzard.

Called paypal, they canceled 2 of the 3 no problem. The credit card folks can't do anything until the charge moves from pending to applied...apparently. Would have preferred to go through blizzard, but their customer service hours are from like 08:00 to 08:05...with a 90 minute wait time.

That's not your fault.

It doesn't. AS is not that great for Wizards. Crit + Crit Dmg scaling is superior for raw DPS anyway.

This is not entirely accurate.

AS fuels everything else, for example when metoer hits the ground it creates a pool of fire that burns enemies. AS generates how many times that fire will trigger and deal damage. When damage triggers you get chances at Crit damage. The more triggers over the life of a spell the more chances to do damage.

IAS fuels everything. All three of the trifecta stats are used in the DPS calculation.

Please correct me if I am using an old line of thinking.

That's not your fault.

True, technically its not. But its Blizzard, and I should have known better. I use Steam so much, I expect all online game purchases to go as smoothly. So its my fault for expecting Blizzard/BattleNet to have a website and checkout process that was actually up to par with a company their size. its my fault for assuming.

What's funnier yet, I check this morning, all paypal transfers are now marked Cancelled by Blizzard. ROS is still active on my battlenet account. My ticket I submitted to their CS was totally deleted...it doesn't exist anymore...not closed, just gone. So now they are messing with my money (albeit thru refunds) without informing me of why....and deleting my service request ticket, not closing it with a resolution. They are really messed up at Blizzard sometimes.

AS fuels everything else, for example when metoer hits the ground it creates a pool of fire that burns enemies. AS generates how many times that fire will trigger and deal damage. When damage triggers you get chances at Crit damage. The more triggers over the life of a spell the more chances to do damage.

IAS fuels everything. All three of the trifecta stats are used in the DPS calculation.

You're mostly right, but you're forgetting breakpoints for channeled abilities. For example, for a channeled ability with a speed coefficient of 2 (ray of frost, electrocute), there is *zero* difference in damage output as long as your APS is between 2.00001 and 2.14285, and then 2.14286-2.30769. You can see these cover a good 8-12% AS window, so depending on where you're character is in the spread, that last 8% IAS might be doing nothing at all for you (assuming you use a channeled ability as your spender and primary damage dealer). You want to be *just* over the threshold needed to hit that next ticks/second threshold. Also, these breakpoint spreads get larger as you go up in APS, so it's more and more difficult to make appreciate difference with IAS as you get more.

Obviously if you can have all the DPS stats then there's no reason to avoid IAS. If you're going to choose between IAS vs. Crit for triggering something that triggers off of Crit, you would obviously choose Crit.

I tried out the Mammoth Hydra with my fire spec, and I never saw it critting.

Back